PDA

View Full Version : Airfield start position help

JapLance
August 30th, 2009, 03:01
Need help on that.

Little by little, in the last days I've been making my very first airfield, with help from tutorials, Google Earth and FSSC. The results until now are not bad, I think, and I added to my SCW installation the small airfield of Son Bonet, in my hometown of Palma (Majorca Island).

Everything seems to work fine but one thing, the starting point in Free Flight. The plane starts in the oposite end of the runway. Check the pic: the red cross is where the plane starts and the green arrow is where it should start.

The data in airbase.dat is the following:

[runway.79]
id=8152
name=Son Bonet
base_lat=N39 36.09
base_lon=E2 41.27
base_alt=156
heading=228
allegiance=0
units_across=1
takeoff_start_pos=-000,0
takeoff_stop_pos=1600,100
landing_start_pos=-5000,350
landing_touchdown_pos=-000,0
landing_stop_pos=-250,0

The base lat and long is the one I want the planes to start at, and in the mission builder it places the planes fine, but in free flight the start position is moved, and I don't know what to change or where to place it in the right spot.

Hopefully some of the masters will know what I'm doing wrong. It's been puzzling me for a couple of days :isadizzy:.

dvslats
August 30th, 2009, 03:10
Hi JapLance,
The airbase.dat will only be used by the Mission Builder. In FF the sim uses info from the afd file that Fssc creates. What is the heading you used in Fssc?

The_Editor
August 30th, 2009, 03:32
If you want to add takeoff points to airbases in freeflight, download MkAFD2 from here:

http://fly.to/mwgfx/

Click on the CFS2/Fs2002 link, then on Utilities, then the MkAFD2 link, then scroll down to MkAFD2 and click the yellow circle to download.

I find this is much better to use than from inside FSSC.

JapLance
August 30th, 2009, 03:58
Hi JapLance,
The airbase.dat will only be used by the Mission Builder. In FF the sim uses info from the afd file that Fssc creates. What is the heading you used in Fssc?

OK, then I was looking in the wrong place. I was always looking at the airbase.dat for that.

Here is a screen capture of FSSC right now:

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/6637/fsscsonbonet.th.jpg (http://img56.imageshack.us/i/fsscsonbonet.jpg/)

Right before you told me that, the runway rotation was the opposite, 48º instead of 228º. I thought it could have been that but made no difference, so I think you mean something else, but I don't know what.

If you want to add takeoff points to airbases in freeflight, download MkAFD2 from here:

http://fly.to/mwgfx/

Click on the CFS2/Fs2002 link, then on Utilities, then the MkAFD2 link, then scroll down to MkAFD2 and click the yellow circle to download.

I find this is much better to use than from inside FSSC.

My very first try was with this application, but I didn't get the right results with it so I turned to FSSC, which I found easier to use.

Thanks to both for helping :ernae:.

dvslats
August 30th, 2009, 04:07
It's good to have pictures. :icon_lol:

Placement: Runway center at position

:ernae:

dvslats
September 1st, 2009, 16:18
You know what JapLance? After getting my software reloaded I started a new airfield project and now I am having the same problen!?
Now I see what you mean. Reversing the rotation in scenery properties or the runway properties will make no difference, except for reversing my flattens. Go figure!
I'm a little lost on this one also. Maybe the runway ID number? :blind:
Dave

MaskRider
September 1st, 2009, 17:57
Hi guys.

This is an interesting discussion. I normally use FSSC Version 1.2.15. One of the first things I ever noticed is that if the runway heading is set to, lets say, 320 you will take off facing 140.

However, in version 1.5.11 whatever heading you set in as the runway "rotation" seems always be the direction you take off in- in my experience.

It wasn't until I started specifying runway ID parameters (using version 1.2.15) that I noticed that sometimes under some circumstances the runway heading specified was also the heading I am facing when taking off. I don't understand it but still out of habit always specify a runway heading (rotation) that is opposite from the desired heading.

JapLance
September 1st, 2009, 23:21
I found out that when I changed the runway once the sim was fired, through the ALT-GoTo menu, it moved my plane to the right runway. It didn't if I selected the runway in the Main Free Flight Menu.

Anyway, Achim offered himself to take a look at what I had done. Maybe he finds something else.

On another problem, I had added a few hangars and buildings through GSL. It worked fine alone, but when I merged it with my main SCW GSL, the buildings at the near airbase of Palma disappeared. I know what the problem is (different GSL's in the same GOB, "there can be only one"), but I don't know how to fix it.

dvslats
September 2nd, 2009, 03:01
Hi guys,
For the Free Flight start position I found that the afd.sca could be edited. My version of Fssc would not comply with changes to runway rotation. It's a pretty simple edit in notepad, after the changes are saved, drag and dropped it on the ol' Scasm and received a new afd.bgl. Tried her out and now my kite is at the intended spot. Since an explanation may prove difficult I, made a little graphic.

JapLance
September 2nd, 2009, 04:19
Thanks dvslats, just reversing the two SetupLoc did it.

dvslats
September 2nd, 2009, 11:59
Hi there JapLance, it's good to see that the edit worked for you also. On your Gsl situation...were the objects at the airbase of Palma from another downloaded airfield package, or are these ones that you added? If it is the first one, reinstalling through Gsl man would fix it. If they were personal additions....well without a saved back up of Cfs2.gsl or the mission file they were created in (.lay file), there is no other way to retrieve them. Did you look in the Layout folder in CFS2 for the .lay file?
Dave

JapLance
September 2nd, 2009, 12:45
Hi there JapLance, it's good to see that the edit worked for you also. On your Gsl situation...were the objects at the airbase of Palma from another downloaded airfield package, or are these ones that you added? If it is the first one, reinstalling through Gsl man would fix it. If they were personal additions....well without a saved back up of Cfs2.gsl or the mission file they were created in (.lay file), there is no other way to retrieve them. Did you look in the Layout folder in CFS2 for the .lay file?
Dave

No problem on this side: the Palma airfield is part of Xabier Berdaguer SCW Airfields, and I keep Son Bonet building location in .lay and .mis files.

In case I couldn't combine them I also added a few buildings through FSSC macros, but I think they're not destroyable. Double the work, half the fun :icon_lol: