PDA

View Full Version : WIP, NAS FT Worth

falcon409
August 29th, 2009, 09:46
A WIP shot of the 301st Flight Line.

Bone
August 29th, 2009, 09:54
Are you going to have the F-105 static display sitting in front of the ops building? Looking good so far, Falcon.

Boomer
August 29th, 2009, 10:08
:applause::applause::applause:

falcon409
August 29th, 2009, 10:09
Are you going to have the F-105 static display sitting in front of the ops building? Looking good so far, Falcon.
Actually, it's not there anymore. At one time it was sitting right on the corner as you turned into the 301st Parking lot across from the Commissary. It was moved a very long time ago and is now part of a three ship display over by the BX that includes an F-16 and an F-4.
Here's a quick view of it's new home:

jdhaenens
August 29th, 2009, 11:47
OK, do you want this? It's from an older FS9 KNFW I did for the VUSN. This is old school. Planes and textures. I can make it FSX native.

Jim

Bone
August 29th, 2009, 11:51
I guess it has been awhile since I was last there. I thought it looked right at home where it was...it just reeked Fighter Wing!

falcon409
August 29th, 2009, 11:51
OK, do you want this? It's from an older FS9 KNFW I did for the VUSN. This is old school. Planes and textures. I can make it FSX native.
Jim
Wow Jim, that would be great. I've been working around those hangars because they are distinctive in design, not anything I've seen anywhere else. Thanks for the offer, that'll fill an area that I wasn't sure what I was going to go with.:ernae:

peter12213
August 29th, 2009, 12:00
Jim when will your ranges be ready??

Matt Wynn
August 29th, 2009, 12:48
Falcon guess that F-16 i did you will be at home there...

looking great buddy, keep up the great work :jump:

jdhaenens
August 29th, 2009, 13:09
Let me make the star that goes on front and I'll get 'em out to you tonight.

@Peter I go out to Fallon on the 10th. It'll be sometime after that.

Jim

peter12213
August 29th, 2009, 13:24
Thanks mate looking forward to them!!

falcon409
August 29th, 2009, 13:44
Falcon guess that F-16 i did you will be at home there...looking great buddy, keep up the great work
Yes it will, already reserved a spot where the actual aircraft parks. Gonna do some screens and send a few to the crew chief to put on his puter and a couple over to San Miguel to show him what I used his artwork for, lol. Awesome job Smoothie.

jdhaenens
August 29th, 2009, 18:05
Here it is Falcon, I just need somewhere to send it. PM me your email and I'll get it out. The checkered water tower is a freebie just for being a good customer.:icon_lol:

Jim

falcon409
August 29th, 2009, 18:07
Here it is Falcon, I just need somewhere to send it. PM me your email and I'll get it out. The checkered water tower is a freebie just for being a good customer.
Jim
Awesome Jim, many thanks. I was just in the area of the water tower and started looking for a suitable sub, lol. The hangar will definitely fill the gap that would have been the C-130 ANG ramp, so I really appreciate this.:ernae:

falcon409
August 29th, 2009, 19:54
Tentatively placed. . .building up slow but sure. Placed hangars and shelters on the Navy side, Barracks over by the Service Station, Tool Boxes and metal tables on each spot down the south side shelters for the F-16's. I placed the light poles, but after seeing them at night, I don't care for em very much, those will get replaced.

tigisfat
August 29th, 2009, 20:04
Is your scenery coming with photoscenery or is that megascenery?

falcon409
August 29th, 2009, 21:08
Is your scenery coming with photoscenery or is that megascenery?
Photoscenery

peter12213
August 29th, 2009, 21:20
You work fast Falcon mate WOW!!

falcon409
August 29th, 2009, 21:41
Here are a few shot while flying the Cessna 182RG into NAS Ft Worth.

jdhaenens
August 30th, 2009, 05:35
Looking good!

falcon409
August 30th, 2009, 05:48
Looking good!
Thanks! I do have a question though, I have stayed away from doing an AFCAD for the time being, but I need to get that in the works as well. This may sound dumb, but do I just draw in the taxiways and ramps in AFX as usual, or is there another method for doing a hardened surface when using Photoreal scenery as a base?

Navy Chief
August 30th, 2009, 05:56
Didn't Vought Corporation share a part of that airfield?

I got these pictures from the Vought Heritage website:

http://www.voughtaircraft.com/museum/index.htm

But there's another site at:

http://www.voughtaircraft.com/heritage/

falcon409
August 30th, 2009, 06:38
Chief, there's a pic once you enter the first links website. In the upper right, there is a small shot and you can make out an airfield and the Chance/Vought plant in the foreground. . .if you were to pan to the left, you'd eventually see DFW Airport. The airfield that's shown in that photo is the old Navy Dallas rwy and parking ramps. They moved to NAS Ft Worth (Carswell AFB) and I believe the old airfield is vacant right now.

I don't know who claims Vought really, because they are centrally located between Dallas and Ft Worth. Maybe someone down in that area might know more. Michael maybe?

Meshman
August 30th, 2009, 07:25
Thanks! I do have a question though, I have stayed away from doing an AFCAD for the time being, but I need to get that in the works as well. This may sound dumb, but do I just draw in the taxiways and ramps in AFX as usual, or is there another method for doing a hardened surface when using Photoreal scenery as a base?

The hardened surface is the AirportBackground_Flatten made with SBX. Photo scenery is just a "texture" to FSX and lays on top of the terrain, flattened or not, just as the default textures do.

Now when you make the jump to Gmax runways and taxiways, it'll be a different story (somewhat). But I figure that's a good two, three weeks away before you fire up Gmax...:icon_lol:

falcon409
August 30th, 2009, 08:43
Well, as is the case with me, if something bad can happen. . .it will. Yesterday I posted a thread about how the J: drive(my external drive), where most of my scenery programs are located, suddenly decided to switch from J: to K: because I had plugged in my iPod to download some music and the external drive wasn't online.

Wellll, that meant that now every program on the J: drive is looking for something it can't find. It took me a while, but I was finally able to find everything SBuilderX was looking for and get the drive letters changed over. Then when I opened the job for Carswell, it tells me the bmp is in error and "will" be deleted. . .what?. . .and there's no option other than "ok", no "cancel" or anything, just "ok". So it deletes the "map". Now I have a real nice flatten and nothing else. I've gotta go back and load the background, make the map from the background, color correct, darken, adjust, etc. Geeze.

jdhaenens
August 30th, 2009, 09:13
In other words, yes. Go ahead and make the runways and taxiways with ADE or some other FSX capable AFCAD replacement. If the concrete and asphalt seem to be at a drastically different altitude than the scenery, post and we (probably Meshman 'cause that's one of his specialties and I don't use Sbuilder) will help.

Meshman
August 30th, 2009, 09:32
When SBX mentions it's deleting the MAP or background image, it's just from the opened project file. The MAP should still be sitting in the \Tools\Work folder or whatever folder you might have it stored in. You can use the File | Add Map function to bring it back in.

Bone
August 30th, 2009, 14:18
Chief, there's a pic once you enter the first links website. In the upper right, there is a small shot and you can make out an airfield and the Chance/Vought plant in the foreground. . .if you were to pan to the left, you'd eventually see DFW Airport. The airfield that's shown in that photo is the old Navy Dallas rwy and parking ramps. They moved to NAS Ft Worth (Carswell AFB) and I believe the old airfield is vacant right now.

I don't know who claims Vought really, because they are centrally located between Dallas and Ft Worth. Maybe someone down in that area might know more. Michael maybe?

Grand Prairie, Texas

falcon409
August 30th, 2009, 14:38
Bingo, couldn't think of it, thanks Bone.:ernae:

tigisfat
August 30th, 2009, 18:00
Isn't there a scenery design program that lets you build on top of your new photoscenery so it matches?

falcon409
August 30th, 2009, 18:32
Isn't there a scenery design program that lets you build on top of your new photo scenery so it matches?
I don't know really, I do know that building the aprons, etc over the photo scenery sucks. Not that it's difficult, just that it ruins the look of the actual photo texturing. Covering the ramp areas with a flat color kills the whole reason for using photo real scenery. I'm gonna have to step back and consider another option cause this ain't happenin'.

tigisfat
August 30th, 2009, 20:12
I don't know really, I do know that building the aprons, etc over the photo scenery sucks. Not that it's difficult, just that it ruins the look of the actual photo texturing. Covering the ramp areas with a flat color kills the whole reason for using photo real scenery. I'm gonna have to step back and consider another option cause this ain't happenin'.

I'd do both, plus edit the pics you're using for your ground textures. Check out all the ORBX airports, they're amazing and use edited photoscenery and some flat ramps. I think they clean up taxiway edges, plus they use grass to help edge taxiways in.

falcon409
August 30th, 2009, 21:01
I'd do both, plus edit the pics you're using for your ground textures. Check out all the ORBX airports, they're amazing and use edited photoscenery and some flat ramps. I think they clean up taxiway edges, plus they use grass to help edge taxiways in.
There were several things that bothered me about the drawn in aprons. . .one was that from the air the difference between the photoimage and the flat color stands out like a neon sign. . .the other was the hard edges. I thought about using something to break up the edges and grass would be the obvious choice, but I have yet to find a grass object that actually works in FSX. I have several, but the alpha channel knocks out anything behind it, the effect is less than ideal.
I was all for leaving the image as is and cleaning up the edges to remove the badly "feathered" appearance when taxiing, but the aircraft kicks up dirt and dust because it isn't a hardened surface and so that doesn't work either.

Still working on it.

tigisfat
August 31st, 2009, 10:38
have you tried making the drawn taxiways slimmer so that some of the unreinforced concrete photoreal stuff comes through?

One thing can realism when using photoreal paron textures is parked aircraft drawn from above, all fuzzy and whatnot.

falcon409
August 31st, 2009, 11:02
have you tried making the drawn taxiways slimmer so that some of the unreinforced concrete photoreal stuff comes through?
Yep, I guess it's the color that bothers me more than anything, it doesn't mesh well at all with the photoimage.

One thing can realism when using photoreal apron textures is parked aircraft drawn from above, all fuzzy and whatnot.
Yep, and if I go back to the photoimage as the base, I'll knock out the areas where aircraft show up.

The problem I'm running into now is that I'm beginning to see a drop in the framerates. There are a lot of buildings, vehicles, fences, vegetation, static aircraft, etc. and I'm not half through with it yet. By the time I'm done with this, what I'll have is a scene I can take a screen of and show everybody how it came out and that's it. The frames will be so low you won't be able to fly within 10 miles of the base without it going to a slide show.

Those small remote airfields are lookin better and better all the time. I probably won't go this extreme again.