View Full Version : Lancaster!

Roger
August 29th, 2009, 07:39
This looks lovely to me.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/lancaster204.jpg

http://www.simsoftware.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=160

Nick C
August 29th, 2009, 08:03
Is that one of Dan's Roger? Can you post some VC shots please?

Scratch
August 29th, 2009, 08:22
I've got my eye on this one. Thanks for the heads up Roger. VC shots please and please let them look as good as the outside does.:kilroy:

Roger
August 29th, 2009, 09:47
Nick and Scratch,
I borrowed the image from their website so I haven't seen a vc shot yet.

If it's a good as Dan's Wimpy then I'll be happy with the vc.

calypsos
August 29th, 2009, 10:23
If it is Dan's, he'll love me for saying this:sleep:, please do not make a bomb aimer (bombadier) on the couch as part of the model, let him get into place when the bomb doors are open for example.

The AH Lanc has a guy in place all the time, this is wrong, (the same for the turrets) all aircrew took up landing positions (near the mainspar) and were forbidden to remain in their operational positions.

Just a little nitpick to get in early, if Dan is making her, I am sure she will be great!!

letsgetrowdy
August 29th, 2009, 11:17
That's a really nice exterior model, just get a spitfire and hurricane and we'll have a BBMF fleet....

HenryW
August 29th, 2009, 11:52
This is a bold statement:

This product will be availble from Friday 11 September, 2009.

Looking beautifull though.. :running:

peter12213
August 29th, 2009, 12:01
That's a really nice exterior model, just get a spitfire and hurricane and we'll have a BBMF fleet....

Bagsie the Hurricaine lol

gajit
August 29th, 2009, 12:04
The real thing flew over our place yesterday from Bournemouth Airport - got to get this one :ernae:

stiz
August 29th, 2009, 13:13
1 major flaw (in my opion) .... lancs are canvas covered, not metal .. so they shouldnt be glossy,it really shows on the shot of the coastie and the nose shot, looks great otherwise :engel016:

krazycolin
August 29th, 2009, 13:17
I would say that it's actually pretty glossy... Just took a look over at airliners and almost all of the shots are pretty darned shiny...

Nice work btw... This is one I would buy for sure...

peter12213
August 29th, 2009, 13:25
I had no idea this was coming out, if the Wellington was anything to go by I'm sure I'll be getting this too!!

stiz
August 29th, 2009, 13:29
I would say that it's actually pretty glossy... Just took a look over at airliners and almost all of the shots are pretty darned shiny...

maybe because the BBMF one is painted in gloss paint and not matt :kilroy: Just Jane is a better example

Roger
August 29th, 2009, 13:41
1 major flaw (in my opion) .... lancs are canvas covered, not metal .. so they shouldnt be glossy,it really shows on the shot of the coastie and the nose shot, looks great otherwise :engel016:

Don't think so Stiz. http://www.avrosys.demon.co.uk/bomber/specifications.htm click on "Specifications".

Mickey D
August 29th, 2009, 14:11
Yep Lancs stressed aluminium skin Wellingtons fabric. And a little bird told me it could be one of Dan's.

kilo delta
August 29th, 2009, 14:24
Well both,really :engel016:....mostly aluminium skin with the elevators and parts of the ailerons fabric covered.

Wings/Fuselage/Tail Unit: The wings are of a mid-wing cantilever monoplane type. The wing is made up of five main sections, comprising a centre-section of parallel chord and thickness which is integral with the fuselage centre-section, two tapering outer sections and two semi-circular wing-tips. Subsidiary wing units consist of detachable leading and trailing-edge sections of outer wings and centre-section, flaps and ailerons. All units are built up individually with all fittings and equipment before assembly. Two-spar wing structure, each spar consisting of a top and bottom extruded boom bolted on to a single thick gauge webplate. Ribs are aluminium-alloy pressings suitably flanged and swaged for stiffness. The entire wing is covered with a smooth aluminium-alloy skin. Ailerons on outer wing sections have metal noses and are fabric covered aft of the hinges. Trimming tabs in ailerons. Split trailing-edge flaps between ailerons and fuselage. The fuselage in an oval all-metal structure in five separately assembled main sections. The fuselage backbone is formed by pairs of extruded longerons located halfway down the cross-section of the three middle sections. Cross beams between these longerons support the floor and form the roof of the bomb compartment. "U"-frames and formers bolted to the longerons carry the smooth skin plating. The remaining sections are built up of oval frames and formers and longitudinal stringers, covered with flush riveted metal skin. All equipment and fittings are installed before final assembly of the separate units. The tail unit is a cantilever monoplane type with twin oval fins and rudders. Tailplane in two sections built up in similar manner to the wings, the tailplane spars being joined together within the fuselage on the centreline. Tailplane, fins and rudders are metal covered with the elevators covered in fabric. Trimming tabs in elevators and rudders.from here.. http://www.pilotfriend.com/photo_albums/timeline/ww2/Avro%20Lancaster.htm

Pips
August 29th, 2009, 15:02
That is a beautiful aircraft. A must have. And with that great big glasshouse it will have excellent visibility.

Paul K
August 29th, 2009, 15:45

They are all metal, nose to tail, apart from some control surfaces.

peter12213
August 29th, 2009, 16:40
Yip I agree all the lanc's I saw were pretty shinny in museums, but Mickey The Moocher is not so shinny though, neither is the Canadian one.
http://www.ukairshows.info/2004/airshows/farnborough/photographs/bbmf_lancaster.jpg

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/YankeeAirMuseum2003/Sampler/CanadianLancasterBanking.jpg

The thing is, Its supposed to be a matt finish but there is still some shine on it, its a hard finish to replicate in fsx I would imagine, although I'm no repainter!
Either way I want it, its the most Iconic aircraft of WW2 for me and should never be forgotten, I'm over the moon its got the FSX treatment and I'm thoroughly looking forward to getting it!

TeaSea
August 29th, 2009, 21:36
Iconic....absolutely!

In my opinion one of the oddly most beautiful aircraft of the war....

I say oddly because the individual parts don't seem all that aesthetically appealing, yet taken as a whole it's quite a stunner.

stiz
August 30th, 2009, 01:22
ok i was on it being all fabric covered, still wasnt painted in gloss paint like the BBMF one is though :engel016:

d0mokun
August 30th, 2009, 05:09
Hi chaps,

Shots look like they may be the older revision textures. I'll see what I can show.

Trev- bomb aimer note taken into consideration ;)

Thanks chaps.

Canberra Man
August 30th, 2009, 07:04
Lancasters are not, repeat not covered with canvas. They are alloy skinned and riveted. I worked on the Lincoln with 617 Squadron and the Lincoln was just a bigger Lancaster. The only aircraft in service during WW2 fabric covered were Avro Anson. Airspeed Oxford. Fairey Swordfish. The Hawker Hurricane had a fabric covered fuselage and the earlier marks had faric covered wings. Also numerous aicraft like the Auster and Tiger Moths.

Ken

krazycolin
August 30th, 2009, 07:12
And lets not forget the Mosquito....

Techy111
August 30th, 2009, 07:17
And the barrage balloons....:kilroy:

I'll get my coat....

Tony

IanHenry
August 30th, 2009, 08:18
And the Gladiator.

Ian

grumpos
August 30th, 2009, 19:28
Oxford was plywood, Ken. That and its shape led to the "ox-box" nickname.

The wellington/Warwick and Harrow must have been the largest British aircraft of that period to have a fabric covering.

Best wishes
Steve P

guzler
August 31st, 2009, 04:10
And lets not forget the Mosquito....

The Mossie was plywood, not canvas.

Anyway, the key point of this thread is a fantastic look ing Lanc, can't wait :applause:

krazycolin
August 31st, 2009, 04:22
It was canvas on the outside, plywood on the inside. (At least, according to wikipedia)

Paul K
August 31st, 2009, 09:15
It was canvas on the outside, plywood on the inside. (At least, according to wikipedia)

Thats a bit misleading because it implies, to the aviation minded anyway, a wooden skeleton or frame, with a skin of canvas.

The fuselage and wings of the Mosquito were plywood with a coating of doped Madaploam fabric, in the same manner wallpaper covers a plaster wall. The fuselage was actually a plywood/balsa sandwich, formed in concrete moulds in two halves, then glued together along its length.

Henry
August 31st, 2009, 09:19
Thats a bit misleading because it implies, to the aviation minded anyway, a wooden skeleton or frame, with a skin of canvas.

The fuselage and wings of the Mosquito were plywood with a coating of doped Madaploam fabric, in the same manner wallpaper covers a plaster wall. The fuselage was actually a plywood/balsa sandwich, formed in concrete moulds in two halves, then glued together along its length.
correct!

Who' Lank is it?
H

Matt Wynn
August 31st, 2009, 09:48

if i recall it wasn't just any balsa but Ecuadorian balsa, being light on its feet and wooden (hence the mozzie being called the 'wooden wonder') it could take a heck of a beating and still get home :icon_lol:

IanHenry
August 31st, 2009, 09:53
Yes the Mosquito is made of Balsa and Plywood. The last time that I went to Elvington air museum near <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">York</st1:place></st1:City> they were in the process of rebuilding one. I doubt whether they will have finished it.
Incidentally if you are ever near York the museum is well worth a visit, it’s situated on a second world war bomber base (Halifax’s) and you can certainly sample the atmosphere and feel the ‘ghosts’ in the place.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Ian.

peter12213
August 31st, 2009, 10:13
They used to make mossie's about 5 minutes from where I live in a bed frame factory of all places during the war!

Matt Wynn
August 31st, 2009, 10:19
cool, i live about 15minutes away from Castle Bromwich, where Spitfires were made, and about 45mins from RAF Cosford where they were made/repaired and scrapped...

crashaz
August 31st, 2009, 10:22
Just saw Dambusters not too long ago. Guess I need to go have a look at the Mohne and Eder areas in FSX... should be able to do some nice stuff now with FSX to show a damaged dam.

Man.. that mesh should be even more accurate now... it was a beast in FS9 to approach the Eder!

If only we could do bouncing bombs. Grrrrr

IanP
August 31st, 2009, 10:25
cool, i live about 15minutes away from Castle Bromwich, where Spitfires were made, and about 45mins from RAF Cosford where they were made/repaired and scrapped...

Now you're scaring me.

/glances over both shoulders to ensure you're not behind me/

<looks over="" both="" shoulders="" to="" check="" you="" re="" not="" behind="" me...=""></looks>

Matt Wynn
August 31st, 2009, 10:33
Don't worry Ian. am a Tammy (Tamworth) well out of your way i'm sure :icon_lol:

Henry
August 31st, 2009, 10:39
Just saw Dambusters not too long ago. Guess I need to go have a look at the Mohne and Eder areas in FSX... should be able to do some nice stuff now with FSX to show a damaged dam.

Man.. that mesh should be even more accurate now... it was a beast in FS9 to approach the Eder!

If only we could do bouncing bombs. Grrrrr
i have a dambusters scenry in fsx by Tim Clayton
but no bouncing bombs
H

IanP
August 31st, 2009, 10:51
Don't worry Ian. am a Tammy (Tamworth) well out of your way i'm sure :icon_lol:

Diametrically opposite on the West Midlands. ;)

kilo delta
August 31st, 2009, 13:11
Diametrically opposite on the West Midlands. ;)

Another (ex) midlander here too....Rugby.:engel016:

Quixoticish
August 31st, 2009, 15:09
Yes the Mosquito is made of Balsa and Plywood. The last time that I went to Elvington air museum near <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">York</st1:place></st1:city> they were in the process of rebuilding one. I doubt whether they will have finished it.
Incidentally if you are ever near York the museum is well worth a visit, it’s situated on a second world war bomber base (Halifax’s) and you can certainly sample the atmosphere and feel the ‘ghosts’ in the place.
<o:p></o:p>
Ian.

Whether she is finished I'm not sure but I visit Elvington fairly regularly (I only live down the road from it) and it's looking very intact and is in the main hangar on display now. There are always people tinkering on it but it certainly looks complete, or almost so.

bazzar
August 31st, 2009, 16:48
The cold-molded technique used in Mosquito production was very similar to modern boat-building and had many benefits. The resulting material was extremely strong for its weight. In many areas stronger and lighter than its steel or alloy counterpart in "conventional" airframes.

The other neat thing was the way, just as you do in plastic modeling, they built most of the major components into each half of the fuselage before joining the two halves. This made it so much easier to install wiring and systems without the need to be crawling around in cramped dark spaces.

Pretty advanced for 60 years ago...:engel016:

d0mokun
September 1st, 2009, 09:29
That's a most interesting bit of info. Makes me want to construct a few kits now too!

Just to add to the Midlands conversation- Burton upon Trent is unfortunately where I am.

Ferry_vO
September 1st, 2009, 09:37
Great looking Lancaster, any chance of a Halifax or Stirling perhaps...? :engel016:

Matt Wynn
September 1st, 2009, 11:08
this threads turned into a lancaster themed Midlanders-unite meet :icon_lol:

IanP
September 1st, 2009, 12:10
Owroit, mayt? Arr. Gan dan tu Banks's fur a pint, like? :guinness: :)

BIP (British Industrial Plastics), a couple of miles from here in Oldbury, used to make the glue that held the Mossie together, in an earlier life. Thing is, it was a typical Government wartime order. Rushed through, no real planning or testing - the aircraft weren't expected to last long enough for the glue to fail. The downside is that they did and delaminating Mosquitos were a bane towards the end of their life.

When my Mum joined in the early 1970s, BIP labs still had a polished wooden propellor presented by deHavilland hanging in the corridor. I wonder if it's still there, or whether that delaminated too? :engel016:

You have my sympathy being in Burton, Dan... Are you in a bit that smells of beer, or a bit that smells of Marmite?

Cosford has a Sterling, but unfortunately they charge you the earth if you want to get in to take a look at anything. And, of course, being a large, old, aircraft, it simply has to be haunted. It's something I don't remember ever having seen in FS, though, once you've finished the Lanc?

guzler
September 1st, 2009, 12:16
Cosford has a Stirling ?
Surely you mean Lincoln ?

If only a stirling existed....

Roger
September 1st, 2009, 12:19
Ted Cook has a Stirling for Fs2004 and Alphasim had one for Fs2002 that didn't port to Fs2004 due to anim problems.

d0mokun
September 1st, 2009, 14:16
You have my sympathy being in Burton, Dan... Are you in a bit that smells of beer, or a bit that smells of Marmite?

Fortunately, neither- in one of the very few roads out of reach of the industrial bits!

Don't worry, I'm not a Burtoner though. From Enfield!

Paul K
September 1st, 2009, 15:43
No Stirling at Cosford ( or anywhere else unfortunately ). Its their Lincoln thats supposed to be haunted.

For our transatlantic chums who don't know what a Lincoln is, think Lancaster on steroids.

calypsos
September 1st, 2009, 22:56
No Stirlings exist. I seem to remember that someone is re-building a section of a Stirling from a chunk found in part of shed or outbuilding.

The Halifax was luckier, there is a full size replica in Yorkshire and I think another in Canada. The RAF museum has a crashed one, which was brought up from a lake after 40 years.

Much as I would love an FSX Stirling, I would think sales (the bottom line) would be about a tenth of a Lancaster.

bazzar
September 1st, 2009, 23:09
Agreed. Sterlings are an acquired taste. A Halifax however....:engel016:

letsgetrowdy
September 1st, 2009, 23:15
No Stirling at Cosford ( or anywhere else unfortunately ). Its their Lincoln thats supposed to be haunted.

For our transatlantic chums who don't know what a Lincoln is, think Lancaster on steroids.

Please explain... i've never heard this story...

Matt Wynn
September 2nd, 2009, 01:39
http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acimages/avro_694lincoln_stevewilliams.jpg

the mighty Lincoln :jump:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9IBiBaPrD5U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9IBiBaPrD5U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ferry_vO
September 2nd, 2009, 01:43
No Stirlings exist. I seem to remember that someone is re-building a section of a Stirling from a chunk found in part of shed or outbuilding.

This fuselage section was used as a gardenshed for about sixty years and is currently in a museum near Arnhem.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Arnhem-deelen/Stirling.jpg

:)

Paul K
September 2nd, 2009, 02:16
Please explain... i've never heard this story...

Rowdy, watch the Youtube that Smoothie linked to; explains the entire story. Even if its all a load of tosh, its good fun ! :)

Thanks for the photo and the link, Smoothie. I remember playing with my friends in a pair of abandoned Lincolns at RAF Watton as a boy. I wish I'd realised their significance and built up more memories of them; the only things I recall now are sitting in the pilot's seat, and clambering over that huge main wing spar.

:ernae:

Henry
September 2nd, 2009, 05:25
Rowdy, watch the Youtube that Smoothie linked to; explains the entire story. Even if its all a load of tosh, its good fun ! :)

Thanks for the photo and the link, Smoothie. I remember playing with my friends in a pair of abandoned Lincolns at RAF Watton as a boy. I wish I'd realised their significance and built up more memories of them; the only things I recall now are sitting in the pilot's seat, and clambering over that huge main wing spar.

Now theres a coincidence i was probably playing there also
and we are about the same age!
H

IanP
September 2nd, 2009, 07:44
You know what? I'm shutting up before I say anything else stupid. :blind:

Matt Wynn
September 2nd, 2009, 07:47
:icon_lol: i'd better shut up too, my big mouth has gotten me up a certain creek many a time :kilroy:

grumpos
September 2nd, 2009, 09:14
No Stirlings exist.

Hi Trev,

There are pretty strong rumours that if not a complete airframe, parts of one exist in Russia, the remains of one that was delivered to the soviets towards the end of the war. Due to the current political spat between London and Moscow, no British officials have been able to visit the airfield where it supposedly resides to confirm the rumours.

The story is feasible and I'm keeping an open mind on the subject - who would have thought a couple of decades ago that a Hampden would return from Russia?

There is also one in a lake in Germany. Officials have vetoed all attempts to recover it.

Best wishes
Steve P

guzler
September 2nd, 2009, 13:13
Maybe we should invade to recover it :icon_lol:

Having see nthe lanc and Halifax, to see a Stirling way up on that long undercarriage would be an incredible sight.

peter12213
September 2nd, 2009, 13:58
I agree, I always liked the Stirling even if it didn't live up to expectations in real life!

Paul K
September 2nd, 2009, 16:23
Now theres a coincidence i was probably playing there also
and we are about the same age!
H

Really Henry ? You played in those Lincolns too ? I seem to remember one was fairly complete, while the other was little more than the fuselage.

I was there from mid 1963 until September 1965, when my dad was attached to the RAAF and we decamped to Singapore and Australia for two and a half years. We came back to Watton in March 1968. The Lincolns had gone, but there was an H.P. Hastings and the cockpit section of a Canberra in the same location. I'm 52 by the way.

:guinness:

Henry
September 2nd, 2009, 16:38
Really Henry ? You played in those Lincolns too ? I seem to remember one was fairly complete, while the other was little more than the fuselage.

I was there from mid 1963 until September 1965, when my dad was attached to the RAAF and we decamped to Singapore and Australia for two and a half years. We came back to Watton in March 1968. The Lincolns had gone, but there was an H.P. Hastings and the cockpit section of a Canberra in the same location. I'm 52 by the way.

:guinness:
my Dad was a lorry driver and when watton finaly closed
he took out lots of stuff i believe we still have a nissen hut
somewhere, it was probably in the mid sixtys when i first went there
im 57 so whats 5 years :icon_lol:
the next base to get torn down was scullthorpe
H

Paul K
September 3rd, 2009, 08:31
Interesting stuff, Henry. Most of it is still there, though the officer's mess, the 1960's control tower and the Eastern Radar building have all been demolished. The four big hangars still stand however, as do most of the barrack blocks and admin buildings. All the married quarters have been sold to private buyers.

The airfield is still used occasionally by the Army helicopters from nearby Stamford Battle Area, and the runway has been resurfaced, though not to aircraft operations standard...its more like standard tarmac you would see in a car park. Trees are encroaching too, so its gradually returning to nature.

I have some photos somewhere in the loft, I'll dig them out and post them sometime.

peter12213
September 3rd, 2009, 09:04
my Dad was a lorry driver and when watton finaly closed
he took out lots of stuff i believe we still have a nissen hut
somewhere, it was probably in the mid sixtys when i first went there
im 57 so whats 5 years :icon_lol:
the next base to get torn down was scullthorpe
H

Thats a great story guys from all over the world who have a connection through flight, and the RAF or any other service, I like stories like that lol!

Paul K
September 3rd, 2009, 10:54
Peter...yep, common interests make for a smaller and sometimes friendlier world. ;)

Henry
September 3rd, 2009, 11:20
I agree, I always liked the Stirling even if it didn't live up to expectations in real life!
didnt they have stirlings at waterbeach and Downham Mkt ?
if i recall
H

IanP
September 3rd, 2009, 12:17
Downham Market was certainly a Sterling base - 214Sq from 10/12/43 to 16/01/44, 218Sq from 07/07/42 to 07/03/44 and 623Sq from 10/08/43 to 06/12/43... Dates in UK, not US format there - unless America manages to squeeze 16 months in. :engel016:

Whereabouts was Waterbeach? I've never heard of that one. 1665 HCU flew Sterlings from 23/01/44 to 26/03/45 as Horsa tugs from my old circuit haunt of Sleap, though.

Matt Wynn
September 3rd, 2009, 12:30
Waterbeach= Windfold, adjacent to the A10 trunk road five miles outside Cambridge. was a Wellie and Stirling base:ernae:

Henry
September 3rd, 2009, 13:12
Dates in UK, not US format there - unless America manages to squeeze 16 months in. :engel016:

Whereabouts was Waterbeach? I've never heard of that one. 1665 HCU flew Sterlings from 23/01/44 to 26/03/45 as Horsa tugs from my old circuit haunt of Sleap, though.
i get confused a lot on that one:isadizzy:
and Waterbeach is on the A10 between Cambridge and Ely
i believe it is still operational or it was in the late 70's
H

Matt Wynn
September 3rd, 2009, 13:18
still is H i believe Royal Engineers use it time to time:icon_lol:

IanP
September 3rd, 2009, 13:22
Gottit... It's East Midlands apparently, not East Anglia or Northern Home Counties. The books all get a bit crossed over in that area. ;)

Many, many, Sterlings lived there... Along with Wellingtons, Lancasters (on topic alert! on topic alert!), Hunters, Dakotas, Lancastrians, Yorks, Meteors, Javelins, Swifts, Liberators, Venoms, Oxfords and Vampires.

It's still in use, apparently, as home to 39 Engineer Regiment - whose job is to build and maintain airfields. How worryingly logical for the MoD!:isadizzy:

Scratch
September 3rd, 2009, 13:32
How 'bout some more Lancaster screenies, I can't wait till this one comes out. That photo of the Lincoln was super:applause:

Henry
September 3rd, 2009, 13:38
Gottit... It's East Midlands apparently, not East Anglia or Northern Home Counties. The books all get a bit crossed over in that area. ;)

They have Fens in East Midlands?
H:icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
September 3rd, 2009, 13:46
they have Rutland but no Fens... :icon_lol:

Desert Rat
September 7th, 2009, 10:42
Pre-order the Lanc in the UK and save a few bob ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Class-Simulations-Lancaster-PC/dp/B001F0Q9DG/ref=sr_1_108?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1252348679&sr=1-108

Jamie

Old Crow
September 11th, 2009, 00:07
Keeps being pushed back...now the 25th of September, BUT just look at all the versions that will be included.
Varitable Smorgassbord :applause:

From First Class Simualtions Website:

Lancaster add-on for Microsoft FS 2004/FSX

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=main>"I believe the Lancaster was the greatest single factor in winning the war" – except from a letter from Sir Arthur Harris, Wartime commander of RAF Bomber Command to Sir Roy Dobson of Avro, the designers and manufacturers of the Lancaster bomber.

The Avro Lancaster, a four-engine heavy bomber, (affectionately known as Lanc or Lankie) first entered service in 1942 and by the end of the Second World War had been involved in over 150,000 sorties. Although most famous for its daylight precision bombing "Dam Buster" raids, codenamed Operation Chastise, on the dams of the Ruhr Valley, the Lancaster excelled at night bombing.

During its operational life the Lancaster was constantly being improved or adapted for new weapons or equipment. Here are the variants and liveries that we have recreated for you…

Lancaster B. I
R5556/KM-C, No.44 (Rhodesia) Sqn RAF, RAF Coningsby, c.1942.
Lancaster B. I (H2S)
ME499/AS-D, No.166 Sqn RAF, RAF Kirmington, c.1945.
Lancaster B I (H2S)
1803, Royal Egyptian Air Force, c.1952.
Lancaster B I (Special)
PD121/YZ-Z, No.617 Sqn RAF, RAF Woodhall Spa, c.1945.
Lancaster B III
EE139/HW-R, No.100 Sqn RAF, RAF Grimsby, c.1943.
Lancaster B III (H2S)
JA845/F-CXT, Empire Central Flying School, RAF, c.1945.
Lancaster B III (Special)
ED921/G/AJ-W, No.617 Sqn RAF, RAF Coningsby, c.1943.
Lancaster B X
KB772/VR-R, No.419 (Moose) Sqn RCAF, RAF Middleton St. George, c.1944.
Lancaster 10 MR
FM104/CX-104, No.107 Rescue Unit, RCAF, Torbay.
Lancaster MR 3
RF325/H-D, School of Maritime Reconnaissance, RAF St. Maqgan, c.1956.

This title contains Lancaster versions for both Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 plus for those flying in FSX, two missions are also included that will help you learn to fly this legendary World War II aircraft.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://www.simsoftware.co.uk/images/pixel_trans.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=main width="27%">Minimum System Requirements:</TD><TD width="72%"></TD></TR><TR><TD width="27%"></TD><TD width="72%"></TD></TR><TR><TD class=main width="27%">Supports</TD><TD class=main width="72%">MS 2004 or FSX/ XP or Vista</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main width="27%">Hard Drive Space</TD><TD class=main width="72%">1 GB</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main width="27%">CD/DVD Drive</TD><TD class=main width="72%">CD ROM </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

DaveQ
September 11th, 2009, 00:27
i get confused a lot on that one:isadizzy:
and Waterbeach is on the A10 between Cambridge and Ely
i believe it is still operational or it was in the late 70's
H

Missed this part of the thread earlier. I went to Waterbeach in 1961 as an air cadet. It housed 1 and 54 Sqdns with Hunters (FGA.9's I think) and 64 Sqdn with Javelins. One of these blew a starter down the engine on start-up (not uncommon apparently) and bent the main spar (w/o to the fire dump). I watched the crew exit very shaken!!

DaveQ

Paul K
September 11th, 2009, 02:30
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="main">Most famous for its daylight precision bombing "Dam Buster" raids, codenamed Operation Chastise, on the dams of the Ruhr Valley, the Lancaster excelled at night bombing. </td></tr><tr><td>http://www.simsoftware.co.uk/images/pixel_trans.gif</td></tr><tr><td><table style="width: 503px; height: 1px;" border="0"><tbody><tr><td class="main" width="27%">
</td><td width="72%">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

The Dambuster raid was carried out in daylight ?? Wow, that level of meticulous research really inspires confidence!

Naki
September 11th, 2009, 03:23
..I am patiently waiting for Peter Jacksons new Dam Buster movie....

http://www.3news.co.nz/Secret-leaked-over-World-War-II-Lancaster-bomber-/tabid/418/articleID/102737/cat/56/Default.aspx

Matt Wynn
September 11th, 2009, 03:24
lanky really is something special her night raids and daylight raids carried the biggest conventional bomb of WW2 the 22,000lb 'Grand Slam'
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/British_Grand_Slam_bomb.jpg

was used against U-Boat pens, the bomb itself would accelerate to near sonic speeds 320m/s and bury itself, the resultand explosion underground caused a cavern and the target subsided into this cavern, kinda like liquifaction with an earthquake, Targets engaged with Grand slam were: Biefield Viaduct, Arnsberg Viaduct, Vlotho Bridge, Valentine Submarine pens and Hamburg U-Boat Shelters, the last 2 without incurring a loss and rendering them unusable...

As i said Lanky is quite some aircraft, those 4 merlins make a noise that is strangely alluring, it has style it has grace it's an ugly beast but it's the Lanky none-the-less, a glorious piece of British engineering. To dodge the search lights if illuminated early in the war Lancaster pilots were told to Dive & Corkscrewquite sme manouver for a bomber :icon_lol:

IanP
September 11th, 2009, 08:29
The Earthquake bomb - which the Special Lancs could carry two of - was the primary Bunker (and occasional Pocket Battleship) Busting weapon that 617Sqn used. They also tried to hit the Dortmund-Ems Canal a number of times and actually hit the bank once, crippling transport links along the Ruhr valley for an extended period.

Matt Wynn
September 11th, 2009, 09:20
The Lanky B1 special could only carry 1 grand slam.... front turret was removed to save weight :icon_lol:

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/deployment/earthquake_bomb.jpg

note the lack of a bomb bay :icon_lol:

http://www.sonsofdamien.co.uk/images/Lancaster%20oblique.jpg

there was a slightly smaller bomb used, (this is the one you refer to Ian) the 12,000lb tallboy

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/images/tallboy1.gif
http://www.lancastermuseum.ca/photos/p_tallboy5.jpg

Tallboy was used Against the Tirpitz...

Lewis-A2A
September 11th, 2009, 09:28
and mid upper turrent.

The USAAF didnt have true heavies until after the war, and RAF took and gave 'heavy bomber' a whole new meaning :ernae:

Matt Wynn
September 11th, 2009, 09:37
well and truly a new meaning :icon_lol: Lanky is my favourite warbird, a couple times i've considered adding its silhouette next to 'Spooky' on my shoulder (Spooky is there to remind me of my life in Greece next to Larisa AB). the lanky well, it's just beautiful and everyone seems to know its silhouette... :icon_lol: she could take a heck of a beating and make it home :wiggle: i'd still love to see the lanky doing it's corkscrew :icon_lol:

IanP
September 11th, 2009, 10:06
Yes, it was the Tallboy that two could be carried, but the aircraft invariably took off overweight. There are a number of descriptions of operations where B.1 Specials carried two Tallboys (also referred to as "Earthquake bombs" because they had hardened noses and delayed fuses, specifically to penetrate the ground before exploding) in the various Dambusters books. As Smoothie says, they hit the foredeck of the Tirpitz with a Tallboy after ruling out an attack by 618 Squadron using mini Upkeep bombs dropped by Mosquitos, but there's still an open discussion about whether or not the ship had actually been scuttled by the time 617 hit it.

peter12213
September 11th, 2009, 10:38
Those bombs were massive I have a photo of me standing next to one when I was a kid forgot where but they were huge, just imagine the bang it made, enough to sink a battleship and we did.. the Tirpitz with the Tallboy! An interesting fact is that Barnes Wallis designed them after the .50 cal bullet so that they would travel supersonically which they did once dropped!

Matt Wynn
September 11th, 2009, 10:57
yup then buried themselves, detonated underground gaused subsidance and a mini-earthquake bye bye whole street if one of them dropped anywhere nearby :icon_lol:

Rich
September 11th, 2009, 17:04
Where does this Lanky thing come from, only ever heard them refered to as Lanc or Lancaster is this a age thing ?

Paul K
September 12th, 2009, 02:01
Where does this Lanky thing come from, only ever heard them refered to as Lanc or Lancaster is this a age thing ?

Agreed. I've only ever seen 'Lanc' used.

Mr.Mugel
September 12th, 2009, 05:40
The first Grand Slam was used in Bielefeld, it destroyed about 100 yards of the viaduct it was aimed at. Interesting fact, regarding that it was about 15 miles from where I sit now....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeUQKl81aN4

Matt Wynn
September 12th, 2009, 08:08
yup the bomb missed by about 120ft if i recall but still took 2 spans out, if it had been about 50 closer and within 70ft then that bridge would have lost a lot more of its structure :icon_lol:

gajit
October 9th, 2009, 15:01
I see they have a release date for 13 th November - exciting :jump:

Old Crow
October 9th, 2009, 16:46
Yep, but a week ago it was supposed to be released today. Another "soon" story. I am sure it will be well worth the wait. :applause:

letsgetrowdy
October 12th, 2009, 08:54

I've heard this haunting story too. went to Cosford a couple of months ago, mind you it was quite believable. That Lincoln doesn't half creep me out. An old boy visiting the musuem claimed to see a pilot's face looking down at him from the nose section, and when a member of staff investigated, no one was found to be onboard. Also a couple of years ago some staff left a tape recorder on the Lincoln overnight, and in the morning listened to the sounds of muffled voices and merlin engines, although the hangar is dead quiet at night....:monkies:

Also any one been to Hendon???? their lancaster is so freaky ("S for Sugar") is the oldest lancaster in the world and two crew lost their lives onboard in 1943, I mean c'mon!

Paul K
October 12th, 2009, 15:55
Rowdy, if such spooky goings-on intrigue you, google RAF Bircham Newton and have a read through what it coughs up. Long before your time, there was a BBC radio broadcaster named Jack de Manio who investigated the place and made recordings inside the squash courts there. I've never heard them, but I have talked with a man who worked at Bircham Newton after it became a training centre for the Construction Industry Training Board, and he did confirm that there had been some very odd things happen in the building.

Dynasaur
October 12th, 2009, 17:12
The Dambuster raid was carried out in daylight ?? Wow, that level of meticulous research really inspires confidence!

Actually, it was a night raid and the text at First Class Simulations now just states "Most famous for its precision bombing "Dam Buster" raids"

I have an audio cassette from the 1980's which has, on one side, "The Haunting of Bircham Newton Aerodrome". Apart from the narration there are several unusual sounds which are supposed to be from recordings made in several of the then empty buildings.

A.D.

Lewis-A2A
October 12th, 2009, 17:30
Paul knows, him and myself were both members of the old target for tonight group,.. we know our Lancs :kilroy::engel016:

Paul K
October 13th, 2009, 01:16
Actually, it was a night raid and the text at First Class Simulations now just states "Most famous for its precision bombing "Dam Buster" raids"

Yes AD...I know. I was quoting the original blurb at the FSC website which stated it was a daylight raid. Its now been corrected.

letsgetrowdy
October 13th, 2009, 09:10
Rowdy, if such spooky goings-on intrigue you, google RAF Bircham Newton and have a read through what it coughs up. Long before your time, there was a BBC radio broadcaster named Jack de Manio who investigated the place and made recordings inside the squash courts there. I've never heard them, but I have talked with a man who worked at Bircham Newton after it became a training centre for the Construction Industry Training Board, and he did confirm that there had been some very odd things happen in the building.

thanks for this sounds like a very interesting story. what intrigues me is whether or not I beleive the stories or not... and it's uplifting to think that those men from 1940's may still be doing now what they did then, echoing eternally in their old homes....
I am intrigued about supernatural activity surrounding aviation.. which strated when my father encountered a UFO over Heathrow on hold-off (he is a captain for BMI). He and the Co-pilot observed an odd gasious object about 1000 feet to the right and about 200 feet below at night. After it had vanished, it had screwed up the avionics and they had to re-tune...

Old Crow
November 19th, 2009, 18:46
The FSX Lancaster Package has been released. :wiggle:

Unfortunately, it is not available anywhere in USA and they do not ship to USA. :173go1:

I am sure it will be available soon though ...... hopefully as a download.

Here is the link to the product page:

Kiwikat
November 19th, 2009, 21:19
Gotta love the overabundance of VC screenshots on that page! :icon_lol: :mixedsmi:

guzler
November 19th, 2009, 22:13
Well the exterior looks superb, definitely interested in this, more screenies would be nice to help decide.

d0mokun
November 19th, 2009, 22:53
Here are a few.

Old Crow
November 19th, 2009, 23:01
A few more pictures here...but no vc pictures found yet:

http://www.pcpilot.net/view_news.asp?ID=784

You beat me Dan.
Thanks for the shots. WOW! I have really been looking forward to this.

calypsos
November 19th, 2009, 23:05
I can almost smell the inside of a Lanc from thoose shots, Dan.

Is it only available on a CD? It looks a BIG file for a DL version.

I love the post WW2 version.

d0mokun
November 19th, 2009, 23:23
Attached are a few shots from the true RC. My shots above are slightly dated.

The VC has quite a few of the little systems modelled- fire test, fire warning, prop feathering, flap indication, gear indication, radiators, and a complete, massive engineering console, with realistic operations and animations. It also has individually controlled flood and panel lights, as well as of course the glowing gauges.

The night shot is of the cockpit with the white panel floods turned on, not the main cabin light- that's a nice 'old' yellow glow.

I would presume it'll be out as a download as well as boxed retail, though I don't think it's too large. Certainly not near the 1gb mark from memory.

I hope everyone enjoys it- it's a far cry from the last Lanc I built ;)

Best
Dan.

noddy
November 19th, 2009, 23:42
That does look mighty impressive.

Lewis-A2A
November 19th, 2009, 23:51
Can see your modelling coming along Dan, good stuff.

I must admit since I cant fly the other one yet I think ill be buying yours to tide me over. Your modelling has really come along and the VC is indeed very atmospheric.

Of course a model is but one part of the enitre simulation, soooo, any chance you can tell us any other insider details dan on how she fly's, systems etc. I dnt always fly damage or accu-sim on but I think in the lanc I will really wanna click as many switches as possible,... oh god its such a beautiful aircraft, oh no am feeling weepy.

d0mokun
November 19th, 2009, 23:59
Thanks. :ernae: I used a few methods I've learnt from the commercial side of things.

Off the top of my head, there is definitely not a single non-working gauge, and 99% if not 100% of switches do what they should do. Even needles drop and droop until energised.

It has been a while since I worked on the Lanc- such is the way it works with boxed stuff. I'll attempt to answer questions to the best of my ability. Forgive me if I do not answer all too promptly though- I don't frequent boards that much these days.

Lewis-A2A
November 20th, 2009, 00:36
Sounds good Dan :ernae:

I wish you all the best and hope you make a good bit of pocket money out of this.

Old Crow
November 20th, 2009, 01:05
Lewis, you took the word right out of my mouth "weepy".
Dan, I am truely breathless at those shots. I can't wait until I can put her(s) through their paces. Your work has always been top shelf, but as Lewis says, "you are improving nicely with experience". :ernae:

Scratch
November 20th, 2009, 03:41
It's beautiful!!!!! I can't wait to get my hands on this one. What a work of art this one is!:ernae::applause::applause::medals:

2Low
November 20th, 2009, 03:56
She looks awsome Dan. Really looking forward to taking her up, hopefully in the near future.

Lewis-A2A
November 20th, 2009, 04:17
do you know what colours she is coming in?

being a Grimsby lad I'd love for 100Sqn paints

Quixoticish
November 20th, 2009, 04:22
do you know what colours she is coming in?

being a Grimsby lad I'd love for 100Sqn paints

EE139/HW-R, No.100 Sqn RAF, RAF Grimsby, c.1943.

From the product page:

Ian Warren
November 20th, 2009, 04:41
Holy Truck Me Dead ! ... there is some thing so aluring to that cockpit .the real ... :medals:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

MudMarine
November 20th, 2009, 05:09
I really want this one! Hope they hurry up and make it a DL!!

d0mokun
November 20th, 2009, 05:49
Just for you Lewis 'lad, proper gen. Shots taken at scenic Sherburn.

Hand painted 'Phantom of the Ruhr'. I remembered the fun I had doing Cocktail Hour on the B24, so had to find an equally impressive nose art to paint.

The link up above (thanks Chris) has all of the correct texture and model listings. The models are all individually tailored, so different things on different models, albeit subtle on some.

I also forgot to mention- as per a request from Trev, the bomb aimer is generally situated in the nose gun, until you open the doors.. he then goes down to the bomb aimers position.

Best
Dan.

jankees
November 20th, 2009, 05:51
It looks great, but I can't figure out if it's a CD or a download you can buy??

Lewis-A2A
November 20th, 2009, 06:07
Ahh good stuff dan, I may have to add 'Jug & Bottle' and a few others :engel016:

big-mike
November 20th, 2009, 06:20
That`s the question?????
Would purchase it at this moment,but i don`t like CD`s.
Michael

d0mokun
November 20th, 2009, 06:35

As I mentioned, it is boxed and going to retail stores primarily.

I am sure a download will be available- I'll make a few calls and find out.

Best
Dan.

big-mike
November 20th, 2009, 06:39
Thank you,Dan

d0mokun
November 20th, 2009, 06:45
Hi everyone!

This comes from the top, so it's perfectly legitimate. The Lancaster download will be released around the end of next week.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on http://www.firstclass-simulations.com/ as that is where it'll launch first.

Best
Dan.

big-mike
November 20th, 2009, 07:42
Great news,Dan!:ernae:
Thanks a lot.
Michael

boz
November 20th, 2009, 07:43
Gentlemen,

Would love to see some screenshots of the 2d and virtual panels.

Thanks.

Roger
November 20th, 2009, 07:50
Great news! I'll wait for the download version though.

jankees
November 20th, 2009, 08:05
same here...

Odie
November 20th, 2009, 08:37
Great news! I'll wait for the download version though.

What Roger said ! Looking forward to adding it to the hangar !

gajit
November 20th, 2009, 09:31
And me - great work Dan :ernae:

peter12213
November 20th, 2009, 10:20
can't wait!

Scratch
November 20th, 2009, 15:34
Dang.............a whole week to wait:kilroy:

peter12213
November 20th, 2009, 15:38
I know, lol!

Scratch
November 20th, 2009, 16:29
I so wanted to buy something for FSX today too. I just registered on their site just to make myself feel better. The Lanc would have been a perfect addition to my hangar esp. since I don't have anything else to do this weekend. With my luck I'll be too busy when it comes out for download.:isadizzy:

peter12213
November 20th, 2009, 17:47
same here scratch, been fooling around with the skysim Mirage III and the hawker hero's fury here lol!

Old Crow
November 20th, 2009, 21:49
Dan, would I be correct, that the Aero Commander shown in the First Class Simulations "Pole to Pole" release is yours?
If so, there is a fair chance that I will have to get that release as well as the "Lancaster". :icon_lol:

d0mokun
November 21st, 2009, 05:22
A lot of the things about have something to do with me.

PTP's AC680 base model is by Kevin Miller, the rest of the artwork by myself- do bear in mind that PTP is about the adventures and the flights, not just the AC680.

Dan. :ernae:

calypsos
November 21st, 2009, 06:03
I also forgot to mention- as per a request from Trev, the bomb aimer is generally situated in the nose gun, until you open the doors.. he then goes down to the bomb aimers position.

Top man!!!
I am back in the UK for a few days next month, hopefully I can pick it up then!!!

Rick_Piper
November 21st, 2009, 06:47
Hi Danno

Looks top banana now mate

will be buying it for sure :icon29:

Regards
Rick

Nick C
November 21st, 2009, 07:02
This is looking very good Dan, well done.

calypsos
November 21st, 2009, 07:26
Available at Amazon in the UK for £17.99

cajj1
November 21st, 2009, 13:39

Now you see him

Now you don't :icon_lol:

Rezabrya
November 21st, 2009, 14:14
Looking good Dan. Will definitely be buying this once it becomes available for download!:icon29:

waka172rg
November 23rd, 2009, 04:10
Yip I agree all the lanc's I saw were pretty shinny in museums, but Mickey The Moocher is not so shinny though, neither is the Canadian one.

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/YankeeAirMuseum2003/Sampler/CanadianLancasterBanking.jpg

The thing is, Its supposed to be a matt finish but there is still some shine on it, its a hard finish to replicate in fsx I would imagine, although I'm no repainter!
Either way I want it, its the most Iconic aircraft of WW2 for me and should never be forgotten, I'm over the moon its got the FSX treatment and I'm thoroughly looking forward to getting it!

In that photo you don't no weather that's wing flex for not:icon_lol: cant wail soon someone tells me:ernae:

peter12213
November 23rd, 2009, 05:17
I think its just a fudge of the photo angle to be honest though I could be wrong!

waka172rg
November 23rd, 2009, 05:29
I think its just a fudge of the photo angle to be honest though I could be wrong!
Nar its the step up in dihedral after #2 engine i thinks but still looks cool :mixedsmi:
I would love to listen to 4 merlin engine at once:) Dam Busters Go The Kiwis http://www.nzpaimages.co.nz/events.php?event_id=2064
Waka172rg

d0mokun
November 23rd, 2009, 05:30
Indeed, every photo will tell a different story. I have some wartime photos from Leonard Cheshire's collection, and they are quite shiny/ polished in those examples.

It's quite simple to remove any of the gloss finishes though- either play with the spec maps or eliminate the alpha texture (if the scheme has one).

Quick note- please direct any tech queries to FCS. I am not authorised as such to give support.

Speaking of Munro, I always wanted to meet or see him when I lived in TG. I think it's up near the quarry that there is a Munro [Lane?] [Road?].

Dan. :ernae:

calypsos
November 23rd, 2009, 05:33
Many years ago in one of it's paint schemes, the RAF BBMF Lanc was shiney,(I know as I had to decline the offerof a mid-upper turret ride from Hampshire to Lincolnshire, as I had no method of getting back in time, one of my greatest regrets) when they developed better (lighter) and more durable paint that was an authentic sheen, it was applied during a major service.

The last major, with re-paint was about 12 months ago I think, so the finish changes from year to year a bit, but I doubt if she will ever be shiney.

I have seen shots of the MR3 and RCAF SAR aircraft with guns fitted in the turrets, this is wrong (the RAF MR may have had at times armament in the tail turret only) I think, for the period of service the colour schemes represent. Still looks a nice model though.

waka172rg
November 23rd, 2009, 05:36
I recon those men polished those A/C well:jump: i can pitcher them now wipe on wipe off:wavey: I would be:)

falcon409
November 23rd, 2009, 05:59
I admit to not having read every single post on the 8+ pages for this thread, but just as a personal observation, were it all fabric, that alone would not dictate that it couldn't be shiny as well. Having worked on several restorations and seeing first hand some beautifully restored aircraft that were, at first glance all metal skins (because they were shiny), only to discover that 90% of the aircraft was actually cloth, lol.

d0mokun
November 23rd, 2009, 06:07
IIRC the Lanc is a riveted, metal aeroplane. I think the ailerons and elevators are cloth covered, but that's it. But indeed, there are some perfectly smooth and shiny fabric aeroplanes too. I once got proven wrong by a fellow restorer when I said it couldn't be done.

Best
Dan.

calypsos
November 23rd, 2009, 08:17
Hi Dan, thanks for keeping an eye out here, somebody on another forum said there was no auto pilot, surely he has not read the manual or something? I said I would ask here, as neither of us are FCS forum members.

d0mokun
November 23rd, 2009, 08:29
Hi Trev,

There should be an AP, though if not it is certainly something that can and should be addressed. I don't know how the FCS support system works- I doubt it requires forum registration: there must be a support page somewhere.

It's been a while since I worked on the Lanc so a lot of things are coming from memory.

Best
Dan.

calypsos
November 23rd, 2009, 09:36
No worries Dan, I will tell him to address the FCS forum direct, I take it the URL would be on the read-me?

Never been there myself, but as I have not got a copy of the Lanc yet, I cannot really go and complain about something not being there!!

This guy said it was not mentioned in the instructions or on appearing the pop-up sub panels.

Thats why I thought it might be easy for me to ask here, I have not seen anyone else complain:ernae:

Perhaps he should take a leaf out of 617 Sqn's book and hand fly her everywhere, if he cannot find it.

d0mokun
November 23rd, 2009, 11:13
Hi Trev,

Key commands should still work even if the controls are u/s, if that is indeed the case.

I don't know how the online one ships- I think the boxed one has a printed manual with a walkthrough. I'd presume the online one has the same.

I believe this is the URL -> http://www.firstclass-simulations.com/ . Follow support on there and there's a web form, email addresses, etc.

Best
Dan.

calypsos
November 23rd, 2009, 13:36
Thanks Dan, there is no DL version yet, just boxed! Amazon have it for £17.99 so I ordered a copy for collection on my visit back home next month.

No mention of a paint kit though (not that I paint myself, well not FS subjects anyway, I use canvases!), I would have thought that a lot of painters would love to do some re-paints.

d0mokun
November 23rd, 2009, 14:52
Hi Trev (and all budding repainters),

I'm not sure either if a paint kit is included (not much good am I!?) but I can certainly arrange for one to be made available via my own personal space, if requests are made!

Best
Dan.

RCAF_Gunner
November 23rd, 2009, 16:52
I don't see this in the screen shots posted so far (which look great BTW), so can anyone tell me if you can see the port engines and wing when looking back over your left shoulder in the VC? Thanks.

calypsos
November 23rd, 2009, 22:29
There is a screenshot somewhere where you can see all you would expect to see from the VC:icon_lol:, unlike the Wellington.

d0mokun
November 24th, 2009, 03:13
This post has a few over the shoulder views: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showpost.php?p=294258&postcount=109

Yes in FSX, no in FS9.

BR
Dan.

ftl818
November 24th, 2009, 12:56
Just installed it....

My first impressions after a short flight:

She is beautifull, very detailed, realistic painted and amazingly framerate friendly. However there are heavy reflections against the canopy perspex impeding visibility. The large yellow spot on the armour-panel behind the pilot's head shines like a sun in front of you. Not right because your head would be in between!

So tweaking the cockpit reflections is necessary, so far I have not been able the identify the right texture file.

The flight model feels like that of a heavy aircraft, she stalls and spins nicely. The high altitude performance (25000 ft) is that of an atmospheric-non supercharged aircraft. It looks like supercharging is not implemented. This is however easily corrected in the FSX aircraft config file.
Now the power to maintain speed and altitude is there, however the boost gauges read zero!?

The sounds are OK but seem to be the same as those of the just flight Lanc.

So far this Lancaster is the one to have!

Paul
Netherlands

d0mokun
November 24th, 2009, 13:04
Hi Paul,

Glad you like her so far.

The interior reflections file will be either LancR0 or R1, depending on the scheme I used on the day! The alpha map is easily tweaked to increase the transparency and thus, decrease the reflection.

Sounds are probably similar as I believe they are from the same source, though do not quote me on that!

Best
Dan.

ftl818
November 24th, 2009, 13:51
Hi Dan,

Right, got the reflections sorted. Turned the alpha to almost black.
Also the supercharging works fine, I now got boost up to 12 at 25000ft (needs to be tweaked to real data).

I noticed a strange behaviour of the turn-side slip indicator: I need to give opposite rudder (crossed controls) to keep a coordinated turn (side-slip zero).

I fly real world at EHHV and can tell you that that's not right!

Regards,

Paul

calypsos
November 24th, 2009, 14:09
Paul, have you found the auto-pilot?

d0mokun
November 24th, 2009, 14:49
Hi Paul,

TSI is most probably an error on my part (sorry)- a quick note to the proper channels via FCS tech will see that it gets sorted properly.

Best
Dan.

RCAF_Gunner
November 24th, 2009, 17:41
This post has a few over the shoulder views: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showpost.php?p=294258&postcount=109

Yes in FSX, no in FS9.

BR
Dan.

Thanks Dan. I saw those earlier screen shots and could see the right shoulder / starboard engine views but no left shoulder / port engines views. However, I'll be purchasing it for FSX so it should be fine.

:icon29:

ftl818
November 24th, 2009, 23:57
Thanks Dan,

I will explore further and report my findings to FCS tech.

Calypsos: you can find what should be the autopilot on the front-left side of the pilot's seat. Unfortunately it seems to be nonfunctional! I'm going to import the autopilot from the plane design/just flight 2D panel instead.

Regards,

Paul

calypsos
November 25th, 2009, 00:24
Thanks, I had been asked if there was a functional AP before, it seems it went walkabout between Dan and the publishers!!!

A patch coming possibly?

Paul_J
November 25th, 2009, 02:39
My old man flew them during WW2. He absolutely loved Lancs.

Paul_J

ftl818
November 25th, 2009, 12:44
Does anyone know how to feather an engine?

I tried:
- throttle closed
- magneto off
- fuel cutoff closed
- pitch high
- feathering button pressed
- slow IAS

The engine gives no power (zero boost) but the propellor keeps turning!

Paul

Nick C
November 25th, 2009, 14:16
Dan, I'm seeing a distinct shiny circle on the fuselage roundels on all models, is this an alpha issue and has anybody else noticed it?

Nice looking model though!

gajit
November 25th, 2009, 16:02
Hi Nick - yes I have the same - otherwise its great.

I also get a problem with the white on the tail red white and blue embelem

d0mokun
November 25th, 2009, 16:32
Hi chaps,

As with the other bits, a message to the proper channels will help.

Also PM me a screenshot if you can please, it might be something I can sort off-the-radar.

BR
Dan.

ftl818
November 25th, 2009, 22:56
Hi chaps,

As with the other bits, a message to the proper channels will help.

Also PM me a screenshot if you can please, it might be something I can sort off-the-radar.

BR
Dan.

Hi Dan,

The issues concerning the cockpit reflections, missing autopilot and engine supercharging and ill behaving TSI have been reproted to FCS.

Thanks,

Paul

d0mokun
November 26th, 2009, 04:11
Hi Paul,

Good stuff, many thanks- I received word this morning that a patch is scheduled (not long until, either), so please do get any other tidbits off to FCS.

Best
Dan.

ftl818
November 27th, 2009, 01:26
Hi all,

I just wondered: in drawings of the early Lancasters Mk. BI a long string of small rectangular windows in present aft of the main wing. Apparently these were painted over later on and ommitted in the Mk. BIII. The windows are also present in the just flight Lancaster.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Avro_Lancaster.png

I will attempt a (private?) repaint (extra layer) to show the windows in clear and painted over form.

Paul

ftl818
November 28th, 2009, 06:47
Found it!

All you want to known about the lancaster systems... Look here:

http://www.airpages.ru/eng/uk/lan_01.shtml (http://www.airpages.ru/eng/uk/lan_01.shtml)

Enjoy,

Paul

Aircanuck
November 28th, 2009, 14:13
Speaking as the son of a former Flt Engineer who completed a tour on this terrific ole girl , pls allow me to say thank you ..... job well done lads !:applause:

If you will allow me two quick observations , are there any plans to tweak the present plane to accomodate smooth tires and the wartime wheel hubs so often seen with the dimples.

Are there any takers on doing a repaint of my fathers's aircraft :kilroy:

Cheers for now.

Aircanuck

Aircanuck
November 29th, 2009, 11:26
...... does anyone know what happen too the Lanc's Flt Engineer, he seems to be missing ?:jump:

"Rad shutters auto"

d0mokun
November 29th, 2009, 12:15
Hi Aircanuck,

See my attached photo :ernae:

I'll pass the suggestion of mods on but I cannot promise anything. Many thanks for all of your comments.

Best
Dan.

DickB
January 8th, 2010, 01:14
Hi guys - newbie on this forum, but not to FSim, and most definitely not to the Lancaster !

There's quite a bit I like about this model, particularly the interior VC and exterior texturing (I like models that look lived in.) But there's also quite a bit that needs to be fixed/improved. Some stuff I noticed (apart from the points already mentioned by others):

Requesting gear/flaps down above about 150 kts has no effect (except the gear red lights go out - indicating gear in motion) - but then when speed then drops below 150kts the gear/flaps come down all by themselves ! This is not correct. I know gear/flaps should not be lowered above that IAS, but either (a) the a/c should attempt to lower the gear/flaps anyway – with consequent effect ! or (b) nothing should happen (maybe a warning should sound – I can’t recall) until the a/c is below 150 kts AND the pilot requests to lower them again.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p>The operation of the Altimeter is incorrect – the small needle should indicate the 1000 fts and the bigger sweep needle should indicate the 100s. At the moment it is the other way round.</o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p><o:p><o:p>The shadows from the wire aerials on the outside of the a/c are unrealistic and distracting.</o:p></o:p>
<o:p><o:p></o:p></o:p><o:p><o:p>Cockpit reflections/Cockpit lighting – others have commented this. Personally I like the reflections, except for the yellow disc, which is unrealistic and should be removed. However, I agree that they are unacceptable at night if the current cockpit lighting is on. But I agree the cockpit lighting is far too bright and should be a lot lower, more ambient and more red in colour. (Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of fx_vclight_red ?) Also, the gauges themselves are too bright and need to be dimmed by at least 30%. At present they overpower the night view through the windshield even when the cockpit lights are off.</o:p></o:p>
<o:p><o:p></o:p></o:p>
<o:p><o:p></o:p></o:p><o:p><o:p><o:p>Taxiing – the Lancaster is taxied via a combination of bursts of power from the engines and differential braking (which has to be used sparingly in order to maintain air pressure), not via the rudder (although it is true that the rudder is used in conjunction with the brake lever to effect differential braking.) It is just about possible to taxi the FCS Lanc this way, but even with e.g. full left brake and both starboard engines at full power it is not possible to execute a small radius turn, which is possible on the real a/c (which was able to turn within the confines of a dispersal pan).</o:p></o:p></o:p>
<o:p><o:p><o:p></o:p></o:p></o:p>
<o:p><o:p><o:p></o:p></o:p></o:p><o:p><o:p><o:p><o:p>Tooltips – some of these seem to be are incorrect (e.g. magneto switches), but a lot more would be useful – ideally all gauges should be identified with their current readings and all switches with their current settings. Most importantly, the compass should have a tooltip showing the current heading so there is no need to rely on the FSX heads up info or the GPS 'compass' which is unrealistic for a wartime a/c !</o:p></o:p></o:p></o:p>
<o:p><o:p><o:p><o:p></o:p></o:p></o:p></o:p>
<o:p><o:p><o:p><o:p>I also had to play around with the eyepoint and VC camera to get a realistic viewpoint, but that could be just because I'm a short-ass !</o:p></o:p></o:p></o:p>
<o:p><o:p><o:p><o:p></o:p></o:p></o:p></o:p><o:p><o:p><o:p><o:p>I have reported the above to FCS. Someone asked the question - if the RealAir Spit is a 10, how should this model be rated ? At the moment I would say maybe a 6-7, but it certainly has the potential to be a lot higher.
</o:p></o:p></o:p></o:p><o:p><o:p></o:p></o:p>
<o:p><o:p></o:p>
</o:p>

Mickey D
February 15th, 2010, 04:32
That's a most interesting bit of info. Makes me want to construct a few kits now too!

Just to add to the Midlands conversation- Burton upon Trent is unfortunately where I am.

Somebody has to live there Dan. ;)