PDA

View Full Version : Gloster Meteor WIP

Cerberus
August 28th, 2009, 16:07
I’ve been sitting on this model for a long time, and I thought I would show off some of the progress. In the end it should be a very enjoyable little product with a very affordable price. It should fit in well with FS2004 and an FSX version will mostly likely be included in the bundle upon release, though it doesn’t have the polygons and high detail textures our native FSX projects have.

There is still a long ways to go and I am unsure just how many more upgrades we will do to it. Input and interest will be an important factor in how we continue.

Here are some shots I just grabbed in FS2004.

http://www.skyunlimited.net/meteor_wip/meteor_wip2_1.jpg

http://www.skyunlimited.net/meteor_wip/meteor_wip2_2.jpg

http://www.skyunlimited.net/meteor_wip/meteor_wip2_3.jpg

http://www.skyunlimited.net/meteor_wip/meteor_wip2_4.jpg

http://www.skyunlimited.net/meteor_wip/meteor_wip2_5.jpg

CodyValkyrie
August 28th, 2009, 17:01
Looking sick!

Roger
August 28th, 2009, 17:43
Looking sick!

Err...what do you mean?

Roger
August 28th, 2009, 18:11
Well no response...did I really expect one?
There is a sickness invading this hobby and it's maybe a sign of the times or maybe a generational thing. I don't like it and it occurs with great regularity. Simple gainsaying, slagging and disrespect is a sure sign of a degenerating community and I won't have it. Therefore I shall retire to the quiet, gentle, backwaters of the TOH and leave this...to itself.

Respectfully,

Roger.

Naki
August 28th, 2009, 18:17
Its a generational thing Roger.."sick" means exactly the opposite to what you imply...and way over reaction on your behalf..geez everyone gets so uptight around here at the slightest...I think I might go back to lurking......

Roger
August 28th, 2009, 18:20
Well thanks naki, don't know you and don't follow the ergot. Made my point and if you don't like it you know where you can insert it, ok?

Sideshow
August 28th, 2009, 18:22
Well no response...did I really expect one?
There is a sickness invading this hobby and it's maybe a sign of the times or maybe a generational thing. I don't like it and it occurs with great regularity. Simple gainsaying, slagging and disrespect is a sure sign of a degenerating community and I won't have it. Therefore I shall retire to the quiet, gentle, backwaters of the TOH and leave this...to itself.

Respectfully,

Roger.

As Naki said, it is a generational thing. Take a look here:
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060613035611AAEn43P

Cobra8472
August 28th, 2009, 18:23
Yes, Sick = good.

And yep, looking sick! :D

Naki
August 28th, 2009, 18:23
Well thats uncalled for Roger...and quite rude..

Cerberus
August 28th, 2009, 18:33
The generations younger than me confuse me with their terminology, but I knew sick was a common term for saying something looked sweet .etc.

When I was in 7th grade there was this pretty cheerleader that was a year older than me. Her and I were good friends and we talked a lot and I had a crush on her. Well I watched Fresh Prince one day and he called a girl Phat but it stood for Pretty Hot and Tempting. Well I didn't know how to tell the cheerleader I liked her so one day out of the blue I called her Phat. Well her jaw dropped and she ran off crying, and I never really talked to her again or told her what it stood for lol. :kilroy:

Pips
August 28th, 2009, 18:38
:applause:'Looking sick' is the crazy mixed-up modern day parlance for great, cool etc. It's a generational thing, but it does mean good. :d Heaven only knows though what word is used for someone who is actually feeling sick!

Cerberus, that Meteor is looking superb! :jump: I will certainly be at the front of the line to get it when it comes out - the FSX model that is. Is that the F.8 model your doing? At my local Air Museum they have a flying Gloster Meteor that does a display every month. It really is a beautiful aircraft is the air. And the sound of those Derwent 8's sends chills down my neck. Especially the 'Blue' note.

A77-510 is a (please forgive me) rather boring model to depict. Didn't do much, and was destroyed by missile at Woomera 12/11/68. What about doing A77-851? It depicts Alan Hales "Halestorm", in which he actually managed to shoot down a MiG 15. :icon31:

Here's a close up picture link of it:
http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/aircraft/Meteor3.cfm

More info on the Meteor at Temora Air Museum here:
http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/aircraft/Meteor.cfm

Really looking forward to this one!! :applause::applause::applause:

Well I didn't know how to tell the cheerleader I liked her so one day out of the blue I called her Phat. Well her jaw dropped and she ran off crying, and I never really talked to her again or told her what it stood for lol. :kilroy:

Man, you probably scarred her for life!!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Marvin Carter
August 28th, 2009, 19:07
Roger I was out with a younger girl on a date, this kid in the bar we were in Came up to me and called me a pimp, I had no idea it was a complement. I thought he was being a ass. But was really a complement. I didn't know.Was going to kick his ass till a freind tolded me dif. Roger he was just complementing it. With us it was Bad to Da bone, same thing.

Lionheart
August 28th, 2009, 19:16
Reminds me of the 70's, when you said 'wicked!' and it meant 'awesome!'

eeeks...! :kilroy:

And back on topic of the thread, brilliant VC Jess and crew! Coming along nicely!

Bill

Rich
August 28th, 2009, 19:18
Why can't people leave language alone, WWIII will probably be the result of some clown who decides to change the meaning of a word and leave it to everyone else to catch up, sick is sick ie unwell describing health or puke, a double meaning seems to be the norm now.

Sideshow
August 28th, 2009, 20:42
Why can't people leave language alone, WWIII will probably be the result of some clown who decides to change the meaning of a word and leave it to everyone else to catch up, sick is sick ie unwell describing health or puke, a double meaning seems to be the norm now.

Language is constantly evolving, if it didn't we'd still be grunting at each other. I'm sure your grandparents thought some of the things you said as a kid were odd and I can guarantee that your grandchildren will find some of the phrases of their grandchildren to be strange as well. Sit back and relax, there's not much you can do to stop it. The same thing happens to every generation, change isn't aways a bad thing :engel016:

Back to the Meteor, looking very good :ernae:

djscoo
August 28th, 2009, 21:01
Sick model, dude.

calypsos
August 28th, 2009, 22:35
She looks great and I would happily buy it! :medals: Historically, she is a very important aircraft (second operational jet, after the ME262) and was sold to loads of foriegn customers....loads of re-paints!!

Rick Piper's T Mk7 covers the two seat trainer version well in FS2004, so I would stick to the fighter models. If you really want a challange there is the Meteor NF 14s!!

http://www.historyofwar.org/Pictures/meteor_NF14.jpg

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_gloster_meteor_14.html

The book at the bottom of that link would be a great investment for the project, if you do not already have a copy.

HenryW
August 28th, 2009, 23:55
I'm looking forward to this :applause: Will it be a paintkit :monkies:

bushpilot
August 29th, 2009, 00:08
Something wicked is going on in these forums. People seem to get heated up over nothing. I think we need an exorcist or something:isadizzy:.

Great looking model, I bet with good soundset it will be a winner:ernae:.

noddy
August 29th, 2009, 08:12
Yes the NF14 would be good as my dad worked on these during his national service at West Malling with 25 sqn.

But any Meteor is good. :ernae:

empeck
August 29th, 2009, 08:24
You know how difficult are all those words for non-english speakers? Sick, wicked, stunning, etc... :kilroy:

Bery nice bird you have there Cerberus :)

Bjoern
August 29th, 2009, 10:16
Coolness! http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/t3h_3vil/Smileys/smoker.gif

SpaceWeevil
August 29th, 2009, 10:52
Something wicked is going on in these forums. People seem to get heated up over nothing. I think we need an exorcist or something:isadizzy:.

Great looking model, I bet with good soundset it will be a winner:ernae:.

The Meteor was a very unique sounding jet. I'd certainly queue up for an FSX version of this with halfway decent sounds..

This message has been scanned and it is warranted to be free of anything that could possibly offend or be misunderstood, even by people who would probably be offended by the sun coming up in the morning if it looked at them in a funny way.

Henry
August 29th, 2009, 11:49
LOL
Rog we are getting old:isadizzy:
I believe the words aye up that looks splendid is a past language
and bless me ole boots has also gone:kilroy:
Have a look at Codys Videos when you get a chance
he is a good guy and has a great outlook
he is just young enough to be one of our kids
and we were all younger once
now where did i put my nightcap:isadizzy:
far out!
H

Willy
August 29th, 2009, 11:53
Groovey dude! Really far out.

:icon29:

Mithrin
August 29th, 2009, 11:56
Noice!

Henry
August 29th, 2009, 12:00
absolutely Spiffing ole chap:kilroy::kilroy:
H

peter12213
August 29th, 2009, 12:03
Yeah they were my favorites too the nightfighters!

Roger
August 29th, 2009, 12:04
I'm ok with "wicked" or "bad" although I'd never use them where ambiguity could cause offence. But I've never heard "sick" meaning good or great, that must be a US thing.
If that was Cody's intention then I apologise but please people remember we have contributors from maybe 13 to 80+ so let's try to bear in mind that there is a common language between North America and Great Britain and a common language between 3 or 4 generations from each side of the pond: it simply means leave your ergot, idioms, street slang, where they belong in the street...then we will all have a chance to understand the poster's intention, especially for those for whom English is not their first language.

bushpilot
August 29th, 2009, 12:22
especially for those for whom English is not their first language.

I'm one of them, but I knew what he meant.:wavey: Don't underestimate ushttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Roger
August 29th, 2009, 12:28
I'm one of them, but I knew what he meant.:wavey: Don't underestimate ushttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Well I'm glad you did but you're nearly half my age. Unambiguity is the best way forward!

bushpilot
August 29th, 2009, 12:34
Yes you're right:ernae:. Ambiguity can be poison in discussion.

Henry
August 29th, 2009, 12:41
Darn i had to google the word Ambiguity
My english teacher did not tell me about that one:isadizzy:
it is tough but we are in a ever changing world
whoda thunk the word "LOL"
or is it a word?
anyhow i digress
back to topic
H

kilo delta
August 29th, 2009, 12:44
Ohh....an fsx Meatbox would be the dog's bollox.....er,...assuming that this particular part of a canis lupus familiaris' anatomy is still regarded as being good?:engel016::icon_lol::bump:

Roger
August 29th, 2009, 12:54
Ohh....an fsx Meatbox would be the dog's bollox.....er,...assuming that this particular part of a canis lupus familiaris' anatomy is still regarded as being good?:engel016::icon_lol::bump:

"Dog's Bollocks":

"Actually, it comes from the 1950s when kids would get toys such as train or Meccano sets which would generally come in two versions: box standard and box deluxe, which is (apparantly) where we get the phrases a. bog standard, and b. dog’s bollocks, work it out".:d

kilo delta
August 29th, 2009, 13:02
Ahhh....thanks for the explanation,Roger....and here was me thinking it's because dog's find them soooo lickable....I mean likeable:monkies: :p::d

Roger
August 29th, 2009, 13:05
Ahhh....thanks for the explanation,Roger....and here was me thinking it's because dog's find them soooo lickable....I mean likeable:monkies: :p::d

:icon_lol::icon_lol:...anyway great to see a Meteor being made for FsX and Fs9!:applause:

Pips
August 29th, 2009, 15:14
Well Cerberus, going from the response to this thread there are a lot of us very keen for you to finish the Meteor. Hope that's enough encouragement for you. :applause:

dhazelgrove
August 29th, 2009, 22:53
The repaint possibilities for the Meteor F8 are almost endless.
Almost as many as for an FSX-native USN/USMC F-4 (sorry, couldn't resist).

Dave

Stickshaker
August 30th, 2009, 03:57
Very nice plane, Ceberus. Hope to see it come to life on my computer one day. Hopefully also the earlier versions: Mk. III and IV.

DennyA
August 30th, 2009, 07:40
So I guess I'd just be tempting fate if I said that model was the sh1t? :)

Rog, I'm 44, but I work to keep up with the young hep cats!

Cerebrus, it looks awesome as-is. Assuming it's got a great flight model already, wrap it up and sell it to me now! I'd prefer an inexpensive mid-range native FSX model to a super-enhanced top-price version.

Techy111
August 30th, 2009, 07:47
Totally rad dude....far out and totally whack...thats well done from a Londoner who uses Sick all the time...:applause:

Tony

Lewis-A2A
August 30th, 2009, 08:08
Sick is good, use the term quite a bit.

spaceweavil, made me laugh mate :P

CodyValkyrie
August 30th, 2009, 08:12
LOL! Sorry Roger. It was late and I wanted to post a good comment. That was what came out. For the record, I meant that it looked great! Under normal conditions, I probably wouldn't have ever used that word, but as mentioned I was rather tired and my mind seemed a bit delirious.

What the heck did I start?

No more late nights with beer....

EDIT: Still laughing out loud.

Roger
August 30th, 2009, 08:15
LOL! Sorry Roger. It was late and I wanted to post a good comment. That was what came out. For the record, I meant that it looked great!

What the heck did I start?

No more late nights with beer....

EDIT: Still laughing out loud.

My mistake for not understanding "yoofspeak":engel016:

CodyValkyrie
August 30th, 2009, 08:20
Heh, no worries Roger. There is surely some generational gap, however, I think it has less to do with age and more to do with environment. My fiance and I had a good go at this conversation. Prior to coming to live in Washingtion/Oregon, she never heard "sick" used in reference to good. She now hears it all the time and was rather bothered by the conversation that took place. Ironically, I found just the opposite, and found it rather amusing.

I have a better understanding now however. I'll attempt to remove myself from some rather absurd "slang."

Sound rightous, bro? :wiggle:

[EDIT: Please realize I'm just being playful. All in good fun.]

Odie
August 30th, 2009, 08:35
Boss, man, really boss ! :mixedsmi:

Nick C
August 30th, 2009, 08:47
A most bodacious model Jesse...ooops, wrong decade!

Lionheart
August 30th, 2009, 15:04
Duuuude! Like.. Whoaaa.... :d

Bill

PRB
August 30th, 2009, 15:14
Nice Gloster! I miss the one I had in FS9!

This is for Roger: :d

HVjbf-dHjW0&feature=related

Panther_99FS
August 30th, 2009, 16:10
Yeppers - this will definitely be a good addition to the FSX hangars when finished...

Prowler1111
August 30th, 2009, 17:57
that thing is the s**t!!! totally awesome..
Prowler

kilo delta
November 1st, 2009, 10:38
Any more info on this?:ernae::engel016:

Cerberus
November 3rd, 2009, 18:45
Nothing new yet we have been working on updates to previous releases.

gera
November 3rd, 2009, 19:06
hahahahahaah, Roger must have had some hot booze or a wicked tea!!! he is always a gentleman and a Cavalier!!!!!....hey Roger, when I was in school in the USA, they use to call me a "spick".....hahahah, yea sure am a spick!!!!!!!:pop4:

kilo delta
November 4th, 2009, 00:54
Nothing new yet we have been working on updates to previous releases.

Cheers...no rush :ernae::engel016:

Pips
April 28th, 2010, 18:52
It has been months since we were last teased with screenshots of the Gloster Meteor development.

Any progress?? :wiggle:

OleBoy
April 28th, 2010, 19:08
haha....I had a good laugh reading this thread.

I just have one.....long sentence. That thing is bitchin..badass..cool...gnarly...radical...awesome ...sweet....farout...righteous...sexy...keen...hip ...bodacious!!! :D

peter12213
April 29th, 2010, 01:43
haha....I had a good laugh reading this thread.

Same here, Its was Purely Belter as we say over here lol!

bazzar
April 29th, 2010, 01:58
Roger, if nothing else mate, I need to thank you for making my day. I haven't laughed so much in years...

Your response was robustly grumpy to a level that was good enough to eat. I always promised myself I would never get that way but it kinda comes with age to all of us, whether we like it or not!

Nice little jet Jesse.

Fully sick, like totally awesome dude.:engel016:

cajj1
April 29th, 2010, 04:31
Nothing to do with this rather nice looking Meatbox, but a few minutes idle lunchtime Googling suggests that the idea that 'box standard & 'box deluxe' are the origin of the phrases 'bog standard' and 'the dog's bollocks' is, well... bollocks.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/dog%27s%20bollocks.html