PDA

View Full Version : Quick guitar quiz

lefty
August 27th, 2009, 23:48
As a break from finding obscure aircraft to ID - here's a photo I took last night - a trio of guitars (two Fenders and a *?) -belonging to someone who I consider the best all-round guitar man in the business.

A :icon29: of Scottish ale to the man (or lady) who gets it first.....

(one alone should give it away to you strummers, and I think that covers just about every member of the Outhouse!)

OBIO
August 28th, 2009, 00:11
2 Fenders and a Bumper

2 Fenders and a Deck Lid (Boot in the Queen's English)

2 Fenders and a Hood (Bonnet, Queen and all)

2 Fenders and a Quarter Panel

I'm a car guy...and the only Fenders I know are on cars.

Funny thing about fenders, I never knew that in England they are called wings. Been watching a couple of British car shows...Wheeler Dealer and Auto Trader....and it surprised me to hear fenders being called wings.

OBIO

Mathias
August 28th, 2009, 00:22
Hmm, I see a Fender Telecaster with supposedly a Humbucker in the neck position, a Squire by Fender Jazzmaster (east asia low budget Fender brand) with a fixed bridge and two Humbucking pickups and a Fender Stratocaster with a reversed headstock, old Floyd Rose Vibrato and three Precision bass pickups.
All three axes highly customized, guess nothing you can buy "off the rod".

EDIT: The pickups in the Strat might as well be from a Fender Electric XII respectively the ill-fated Fender Custom from 1970.

Mathias
August 28th, 2009, 00:54
Question remains, who is the guitarist?
First thought was: the axes look weird enough to belong to David Lindley.
Second thought, no, the Matchless is too expensive for the guy's trash collection.
Third thought, Mark Knopfler, but no, too extravagant.
No idea really.

lefty
August 28th, 2009, 02:02
Mathias, at least one of these was available as a signature model....

We are talking about a serious player here !

Mathias
August 28th, 2009, 02:16
Now it's too easy, lefty.
John Jorgenson.
May I have a blond German Pils in place of the Scottish ale?
Alternatively I'd take an Irish Bushmills.

lefty
August 28th, 2009, 02:24
Pils ? Natürlich, my friend. Name your brand. Didn't think you would miss this one !

Mathias
August 28th, 2009, 06:41
He, I didn't even have him loosely in mind when I saw the axes, though I should have don't you think?:monkies:
Here's a little circus piece with the Hellecasters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcpofztr19E&feature=PlayList&p=1FA1CE2743898106&index=0&playnext=1

lefty
August 28th, 2009, 07:43
I've seen so many videos from that programme, Mathias - was that the German equivalent of Old Grey Whistle Test ?

In fact I have a DVD called 'Guitar Heroes' which is all Ohne Filter clips, (including Duke Robillard, who was a previous owner of my Les Paul.) Sadly the video quality is not good.

Great stuff. JJ was doing a purely rock gig last night, no Django stuff. Great Californian drummer called Jason Smith. Playing in a small venue (40 seats) it is great fun. He is a genuinely nice guy.

tigisfat
August 28th, 2009, 07:46
Is that a customized Jaguar or Mustang in the middle?

Henry
August 28th, 2009, 07:49
Ive never heard of him :kilroy:
love the video
thanks all
H

lefty
August 28th, 2009, 09:25
Tigisfat, as Mathias said, it is a customised Squier Jazzmaster (actually I think they called it the Jagmaster).

Henry, JJ is a session man (Elton John, etc)who goes back to the Desert Rose Band, and the Hellecasters. OK, so you haven't heard of them either. Ah well.....

He is probably also one of the leading exponents of the Django Rheinhardt style. Now surely.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzcHF_LF620

cheezyflier
August 28th, 2009, 09:38
squier guitars recieve alot of guffaws when somebody pulls one out. after all, they are 1/10th of the price of a made in america strat or tele. they don't have all the high end goodies the others have. i have one, and it plays and sounds better than it has any right to. it has a humbucker at the bridge but it's wired like 2 singles in series. somehow even with the cheap bridge and a mildly massaged nut, it stays in tune even if i go all "jimmy hendrix" on the whammy bar.

...which for the record, i almost never do, except to annoy the dogs. :icon_lol:

Mathias
August 28th, 2009, 09:47
He is probably also one of the leading exponents of the Django Rheinhardt style. Now surely.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzcHF_LF620

Jupp, all he needs is a mustach and to cut two of his fingers off and he'll be Jango's reincarnation.:bump:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iJ7bs4mTUY

Moses03
August 28th, 2009, 09:54
Oh boy, a guitar thread!:jump: For the record I like those garish sparkle numbers. Something different.

Any takers on this rare one? (Had a chance once upon a time to buy one for cheap) Doh!

Mathias
August 28th, 2009, 10:08
Oh boy, a guitar thread!:jump: For the record I like those garish sparkle numbers. Something different.

Any takers on this rare one? (Had a chance once upon a time to buy one for cheap) Doh!

Uhm, a Starcaster.
Well Moses, there's a reason why it was cheap, hehehe.

Henry
August 28th, 2009, 10:15
that reminds me of an old harmony i used to own
i have a thing for semi acoustics
H

Moses03
August 28th, 2009, 10:21
You got it Mathias. Like Henry, am a bit partial to the semi acoustics.

Henry
August 28th, 2009, 10:24
Dang i didnt know they still made them
ive owned 2 of them
H

Moses03
August 28th, 2009, 10:26
That cat's eye with the bigsby is pretty nice looking. I bet you spent a good part of the time trying to keep it in tune. :icon_lol:

Henry
August 28th, 2009, 10:31
That cat's eye with the bigsby is pretty nice looking. I bet you spent a good part of the time trying to keep it in tune. :icon_lol:
thats the one that i have not owned
but i bet you are right
they are not cheap though
H

b52bob
August 28th, 2009, 11:04
Actually I'm a Gibson type person. Best guitar I ever had was a 1965 Trini Lopez, think es-335 with strat tuners.

If you are ever in San Diego, don't miss a visit to the Carvin factory. They have about 70 different guitars you can try. Brilliant quality and the necks are like butter! Just bring plenty of picks, (and cash, even though they are reasonable for what you get.

As for amps, I surely do miss my old Fender Super Reverb

Bob

Mathias
August 28th, 2009, 11:11
As for amps, I surely do miss my old Fender Super Reverb

Bob

Friend of mine has one but never plays it.
I try to convince him to give it to me for about twenty yerars now without luck.:kilroy:
Though I found my sound with a VHT Pittbull Ultralead (now Fryette) over a 1977 4x12 Marshall halfstack. Just can't stand the combo oynk oynk anymore.:bump:

Eoraptor1
August 28th, 2009, 15:14
Tigisfat, as Mathias said, it is a customised Squier Jazzmaster (actually I think they called it the Jagmaster).

You are correct, sir. It's called the Jagmaster, an amalgam of Jaguar and Jazzmaster. Squier guitars actually have as many fans as detractors. They've recently had a quantum leap in quality, and make excellent modding platforms. The cheap Asian alloy blocks can be replaced with a drop-in available at GFS (aka Guitar Fetish).

Visit www.strat-talk.com (http://www.strat-talk.com) and you may see the raptor skull icon.

JAMES

tigisfat
August 28th, 2009, 19:07
I used to be a fender guy until I bought a Mesa Boogie half stack. I still screw around with my Mustang and American Stratocaster around the house with a practice amp, but when it comes to melting faces and searing @sses with my band, it's gotta be my Les Paul. Having a really good amp/speaker combo opens up so many more tonal possibilities than single coil pickups and crappy wood can offer.

cheezyflier
August 28th, 2009, 21:05
Having a really good amp/speaker combo opens up so many more tonal possibilities than single coil pickups and crappy wood can offer.

yeah! (said in my best wayne's world imitation voice) shhhwiiiinnnggg!!!!

of course the lp/mesa rig is going to put out some nice tones. otherwise you wouldn't have spent the big $$ to buy them. what effects do you use?

lefty
August 28th, 2009, 21:16
Henry, what is that thing with all the knobs round the edge? Does it make the coffee too ???

Cactuskid
August 28th, 2009, 21:16
If you like Fenders, here's mine...

The Strat is my "Brownie frankenstrat" that I built some years ago. The neck is a custom shop '57 reissue with a soft V profile; smooth as butter and very fast. The pups are custom shop '54's, rewound by George at Acme Guitar Works. Body is an alder MIJ. All electronics are vintage type (CTS pots and CRL 5 way switch). Nicest Strat I've ever owned!

The Tele is an MIJ '62 reissue with a sweet set of Lindy Fralin Blues Special pups. This axe sounds just like Roy Buchannan's Tele... Both guitars have full copper shielding...

I also own a couple of Gibsons and an old Danelectro DC that I use just for slide...

Rock on y'all... :icon29:

tigisfat
August 28th, 2009, 22:12
yeah! (said in my best wayne's world imitation voice) shhhwiiiinnnggg!!!!

of course the lp/mesa rig is going to put out some nice tones. otherwise you wouldn't have spent the big $$ to buy them. what effects do you use?

By order of how frequently I use them, these are my effects:

1. wail
2. roar
3. cry
4. moon trip (for the listener)
5. wall of sound
6. soul melter (for the listener)
7. shred

:icon_lol:

JK, seriously I dont use many effects, I just love the sternum-vibrating beautiful mid-cut of my setup. I use reverb, but it's applied by our sound board and only heard through my earbuds. I really want to find an awesome reverb pedal, but I don't even know where to start.

Maybe you guys can help. I want really rich, beautiful and clean reverb. What's the best pedal out there?

Eoraptor1
August 29th, 2009, 06:18
I used to be a fender guy until I bought a Mesa Boogie half stack. I still screw around with my Mustang and American Stratocaster around the house with a practice amp, but when it comes to melting faces and searing @sses with my band, it's gotta be my Les Paul. Having a really good amp/speaker combo opens up so many more tonal possibilities than single coil pickups and crappy wood can offer.

I’ve been playing for over 25 years now, and one thing I’ll never EVER do again is have a Fender vs. Gibson argument. I follow a credo that everyone should play whatever rig they they like. Play the rig you like; get the sound you like. One thing I will say is that I believe there’s a real element of the Emperor’s New Clothes operating with prices in the solidbody guitar world. (Acoustic and semi-hollows are another matter.) I recommend wearing good ear filters standing next to that MB stack. I’m of the opinion that a lot of rock shows are WAAAAY over amplified. When I was younger my right ear used to sound like a smoke alarm day or night, and I’ve never owned an amp over 50 watts.

JAMES

cheezyflier
August 29th, 2009, 07:10
a good fender is just as nice sounding and over priced as a les paul, just not the same sound. i like the way a strat neck feels in my hand.
the thing i don't like is the nob positions and the bridge/pick up locations.
my right hand just isn't comfortable with it in that configuration. the effect i would like, had i an axe & amp worthy of it, would be this one:

f_2EmtUzRu8

Eoraptor1
August 29th, 2009, 15:51
If you like Fenders, here's mine...

The Strat is my "Brownie frankenstrat" that I built some years ago. The neck is a custom shop '57 reissue with a soft V profile; smooth as butter and very fast. The pups are custom shop '54's, rewound by George at Acme Guitar Works. Body is an alder MIJ. All electronics are vintage type (CTS pots and CRL 5 way switch). Nicest Strat I've ever owned!

The Tele is an MIJ '62 reissue with a sweet set of Lindy Fralin Blues Special pups. This axe sounds just like Roy Buchannan's Tele... Both guitars have full copper shielding...

I also own a couple of Gibsons and an old Danelectro DC that I use just for slide...

Rock on y'all... :icon29:

Cactuskid,

Please consider posting those pics on Strat-Talk. They never get enough of guitar pictures over there. Meanwhile, here's the latest evolution of my Frankenstrat. The vibrato bar in the foreground is my home-made (I put an 80s vintage American Standard bar in a vise) EasyMute/Hank Marvin bar.

JAMES

tigisfat
August 30th, 2009, 20:45
a good fender is just as nice sounding and over priced as a les paul, just not the same sound. i like the way a strat neck feels in my hand.
my right hand just isn't comfortable with it in that configuration. the effect i would like, had i an axe & amp worthy of it, would be this one:

f_2EmtUzRu8

That was really cool. Any ideas for my reverb issue? I don't want to sound like I'm down a toilet, but a little depth that doesn't compromise my tone would be great.

Eoraptor1
August 31st, 2009, 09:09

f_2EmtUzRu8

My doctor (who gigs regularly) has this pedal and he loves it.

JAMES

cheezyflier
August 31st, 2009, 13:01
Any ideas for my reverb issue? I don't want to sound like I'm down a toilet, but a little depth that doesn't compromise my tone would be great.

i don't know, but i know someone who will. lemme ask them and get back to you.

edit:

he tells me that bang for buck , this is a pretty good unit, unless you want a rack unit:

5KCqma7JtFU