PDA

View Full Version : Great news for future Windows 7 users

txnetcop
August 27th, 2009, 05:42
Windows 7 Adds Optional Virtualized XP!

<!-- article text --> Microsoft has revealed that Windows 7 will offer an optional, downloadable Windows XP virtual machine to provide full backwards compatibility. Veteran Windows watchers Rafael Rivera and Paul Thurrott of SuperSite for Windows were given the nod to release the secret (http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/04/24/secret-no-more-revealing-virtual-windows-xp-for-windows-7.aspx). Microsoft's Windows Team blog later confirmed the feature (http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/business/archive/2009/04/24/coming-soon-windows-xp-mode-and-windows-virtual-pc.aspx).

The Windows XP Mode won't ship with Windows 7, but will be available as a free download for Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate system owners. The XP mode will comprise a Virtual PC 7 virtual machine and a fully licensed copy of Windows XP Service Pack 3. While this might weigh in at a couple of gigabytes, that's no longer an onerous one-time download even for many home users.

Windows XP Mode will be a separate environment, but will allow running programs to appear alongside Windows 7 programs, rather than locking them inside a window .

The strategy is clear. Including XP in a virtual machine enables XP users to make an immediate leap to Windows 7, buying new hardware that will run XP far faster, while preserving a functionally identical operating environment (one that's likely to be more stable and portable, too). Microsoft can break all the compatibility it wants with Windows XP (and perhaps Vista, too) in Windows 7, jettisoning old code, obsolete programming hooks, and other detritus.

When I first tested Vista at TechCorp I wondered why Microsoft hadn't simply coupled its Virtual PC division with XP for the release of Vista so that people who did not want to fool with Virtual Machine could have it automatically load for full backward compatibility.

This newest addon is a brilliant move for Microsoft, and one that's somewhat out of keeping with a company that has made backwards compatibility one of the hallmarks of how it moves forward. The move may provide a compelling carrot to firms and individuals who are concerned about upgrading applications but might want to take advantage of some of the advances in Windows 7.

Ted

BTW I have been testing this for two weeks so far it is flawless.

Cratermaker
August 27th, 2009, 05:58
So here is the question: (and I imagine others have it too)

Say I have a PC with XP installed and want to upgrade to Win 7. My understanding is that you can't upgrade XP to Win 7 and must do a fresh install. I'd rather keep the functionality of my XP setup and transition slowly over to Win 7 and it's XP virtual machine. (I don't really want to be installing EVERYTHING right away)

I probably should get a new hard drive and install Win 7 on it I gather. But what is the most convenient way for me to switch back and forth between my "new" system and "old" system? (boot from my old XP drive or new Win 7 drive) Are there any dangers in doing this?

gigabyte
August 27th, 2009, 17:18
I am likin the sound of this... I have been running the RC on a test bed for a few months and it has been great, but I still like the XP virtual machine idea, I know I will be springing for the Pro version at the very least now.

Lawman
August 28th, 2009, 03:37
This was posted at Anandtech when they previewed Windows 7 RC1:

"It should also be noted that VXP only comes with Professional edition and higher, as it’s not intended to be a consumer compatibility solution. And before anyone gets any ideas, it’s not suitable for playing games – the graphics hardware is the usual emulated S3 Trio 64, and the screen does not refresh nearly fast enough to keep up with any kind of action game. Solitaire may be playable, however."

@TXnetcop: could you comment on the above statement?

noddy
August 28th, 2009, 04:11
I am running Vista 32 bit, so will it be esy to up grade to Windows 7 ?

txnetcop
August 28th, 2009, 04:47
This was posted at Anandtech when they previewed Windows 7 RC1:

"It should also be noted that VXP only comes with Professional edition and higher, as it’s not intended to be a consumer compatibility solution. And before anyone gets any ideas, it’s not suitable for playing games – the graphics hardware is the usual emulated S3 Trio 64, and the screen does not refresh nearly fast enough to keep up with any kind of action game. Solitaire may be playable, however."

@TXnetcop: could you comment on the above statement?

You could not be more wrong on these one, Amigo. I have been playing Silent Hunter IV, Medal of Honor: Airborne and FSX. Granted this is the beta 3 release of the Virtual. Don't know what the final product will be capable of they keep going back and forth on this.
Ted

Snuffy
August 28th, 2009, 04:51
Actually I don't get it ...

If 7 is supposed to be as good as they say it is ... then whats the point of making it like an O.S. that is planned to be obsolete?

:kilroy: :sleep:

Lawman
August 28th, 2009, 04:55
You could not be more wrong on these one, Amigo. I have been playing Silent Hunter IV, Medal of Honor: Airborne and FSX. Granted this is the beta 3 release of the Virtual. Don't know what the final product will be capable of they keep going back and forth on this.
Ted

Thanks for the HU:ernae:.