PDA

View Full Version : Nietzsche thread (not REALLY off topic)

jdhaenens
August 26th, 2009, 11:22
I'm opinionated...therefore I am.
....Friedrich Nietzsche

(Well, maybe not an exact quote....):mixedsmi:

Jim

MudMarine
August 26th, 2009, 11:30
Ya, but do trees make a sound when they fall in the woods if no one is around to hear them? :icon_lol: :engel016:

Henry
August 26th, 2009, 11:33
Ya, but do trees make a sound when they fall in the woods if no one is around to hear them? :icon_lol: :engel016:
depends on what they hit!:icon_lol:
or at least thats my opinion:kilroy::kilroy:
H

MudMarine
August 26th, 2009, 11:40
As long as they don't hit me in the head, I wouldn't want to damage a tree needlessly!!:isadizzy:

italoc
August 26th, 2009, 12:18
Am I the only one who doesn't understand a ...... of this conversation ?? :isadizzy::isadizzy:
Italo

bushpilot
August 26th, 2009, 12:25
Am I the only one who doesn't understand a ...... of this conversation ?? :isadizzy::isadizzy:
Italo

Me neither:mixedsmi:. I think I have brained my damage!

Scratch
August 26th, 2009, 13:09
Trees have feelings too, we should all care that they don't hit Mud's hard head when they fall if they fall at all........................dang it:kilroy:

djscoo
August 26th, 2009, 13:26
Friedrich Nietzsche walks into a bar...The bartender says, "Did You know that baby whales are the number one killer of domestic house cats in North America?" Nietzsche replies, "I don't think..." and disappears before he has a chance to finish.

Mathias
August 26th, 2009, 13:27
Trees have feelings too, we should all care that they don't hit Mud's hard head when they fall if they fall at all........................dang it:kilroy:

Hit a Marine's head? Poor tree!:bump:

Kowalski65
August 27th, 2009, 00:41
Colour me confused...why Nietzsche & not Descartes?

Longers
August 27th, 2009, 01:10
Colour me confused...why Nietzsche

Well for a start there's nothing he couldn't teach you about the raising of the wrist.

Longers

Nick C
August 27th, 2009, 03:08
If a tree falls in a forest when no one is around to see or hear it...are women still always right?

bushpilot
August 27th, 2009, 03:16
Women are always right and men are never wrong.

falcon409
August 27th, 2009, 07:14
If a tree falls in a forest when no one is around to see or hear it...are women still always right?
Oh yea, that goes without saying. . .so I didn't. lol

falcon409
August 27th, 2009, 07:15

Nick, everytime I see your sig I have to laugh at the line about going outside. . .pretty funny, lol.

Bjoern
August 27th, 2009, 07:39
How do "Keep off lawn" signs get onto the lawn? :kilroy:

Tako_Kichi
August 27th, 2009, 08:04
Well if we are off on a philosophical tangent......

If bricklayers lay bricks do plumbers lay plumbs?

and....

If tin whistles are made from tin WTF are fog horns made from?! :isadizzy:

MudMarine
August 27th, 2009, 08:05
Hit a Marine's head? Poor tree!:bump:

Smack.......instant pulp!:icon_lol: Poor tree!

djscoo
August 27th, 2009, 08:44
Colour me confused...why Nietzsche & not Descartes?
wow...thats embarassing... I'm actually taking philosophy right now too. :redface:

jdhaenens
August 27th, 2009, 08:49
...becausd Descartes is not nearly far enough "Out there" for this crowd.:icon_lol:

ryanbatc
August 27th, 2009, 08:57
I like chicken.

MudMarine
August 27th, 2009, 09:24
The cuter they are the better they taste..........

ryanbatc
August 27th, 2009, 09:35
lmao :icon_lol:

grunau_baby
August 27th, 2009, 11:17
Well the art of flying is to let oneself fall, but simply avoid to hit the ground...

spotlope
August 27th, 2009, 12:46
Why is the word abbreviation so long?

gera
August 27th, 2009, 13:06
Is someone getting this? or has someone gotten it? if yes, you got it if no you don´t.......we´ll see said a blind dude..............:kilroy:

Lionheart
August 27th, 2009, 13:21
You know, I love it when wierd threads pop-up.. What a bad time to not be able to think of anything wierd to say..

arrghh..

:banghead:

Scratch
August 27th, 2009, 13:45
Why is the word abbreviation so long?

And why is there no abbreviation for it?:isadizzy:

nemosuprimo
August 27th, 2009, 15:03
It definitely wasn't Nietzsche who coined the phrase "I think, therefore I am", it was Rene DesCartes. He said it in Latin though: "Cogito Ergo Sum". The old brain in a vat scenario.....

Here's one for us simulator fanatics:

"At least oneof the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation."

Check out www.nickbostrom.com (http://www.nickbostrom.com) for more details, it's an interesting argument and has many top philosophers convinced!!

Scratch
August 27th, 2009, 17:20
Sometimes after a six pack my fps get highly erratic and I think I feel slightly sim-like. The thought is only fleeting though as I reach for a new 6 gig, uh, pack of Coors ram, uh light:isadizzy::ernae:

Kiwikat
August 27th, 2009, 17:34
What a bad time to not be able to think of anything wierd to say..

arrghh..

:banghead:

Just say...

Apple... or

Mac...

Bone
August 27th, 2009, 18:46
It definitely wasn't Nietzsche who coined the phrase "I think, therefore I am", it was Rene DesCartes.

True. But who b@stardized the phrase into "I drink, therefore I am"...? That is the question.

heywooood
August 27th, 2009, 19:52
whats all this moose - eh??

wasn't Nitschke a linebacker for the Pack back in the day?

n4gix
August 27th, 2009, 20:28
Political Correctness:<!--StartFragment -->

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Tako_Kichi
August 27th, 2009, 20:35
Political Correctness:<!--StartFragment -->

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
That is one of the best quotes I have read in a long, long time!

Bravo to whoever penned it, never a truer word has been spoken (written)!

:applause::applause::applause:

.....and as for picking up turds.....I've been doing a lot of that since the new puppy came home last Sunday!

kurt190
August 28th, 2009, 00:24
Why can't hedgehogs just share the hedge?

kurt

nemosuprimo
August 28th, 2009, 03:11
I wish I could speed up my simulation rate when the mother-in-law comes to visit :sleep:

Scratch
August 28th, 2009, 03:37
Why can't hedgehogs just share the hedge?

kurt

Bravo!

And why must the badgers be?

n4gix
August 28th, 2009, 10:34
That is one of the best quotes I have read in a long, long time!

Bravo to whoever penned it, never a truer word has been spoken (written)!

:applause::applause::applause:

.....and as for picking up turds.....I've been doing a lot of that since the new puppy came home last Sunday!

One source I found claimed that this was authored by the winner of this year's contest at Texas A&M University for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term.

However, I've found this exact quote via google search cited several years ago. In fact, I've found ~60,600 references to it! :isadizzy:

I would maintain -with tongue firmly planted in cheek- that for the above "definition" to itself be Politically Correct it should not a called a "turd" but should have been referred to as an "odoriferous digestive by-product..."

However, during the course of my quest, I did run across this delightful episode of "Mythbusters" that really cracked me up!

Discovery Channel Videos (http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/): Mythbusters: Polishing a Turd

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-polishing-a-turd.html

grunau_baby
August 28th, 2009, 11:21
Let´s get back to the basics of everyday thoughts:
Obfgj3PGBy0

...or problems
COU-Nly3SAA

Ooops, si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses:engel016:
Alex

Tako_Kichi
August 28th, 2009, 13:26
I would maintain -with tongue firmly planted in cheek- that for the above "definition" to itself be Politically Correct it should not a called a "turd" but should have been referred to as an "odoriferous digestive by-product..."
Ahh but.....that for me is what makes the quote so definitive because it has a sting in the tail in the way it slaps the PCers in the face by purposely being politically incorrect.

I loved the turd polishing clip BTW....who'd a thunk it!

Tako_Kichi
August 28th, 2009, 13:32
Let´s get back to the basics of everyday thoughts:
I haven't seen Alexei in years, too funny!

Thanks for those vids Alex.

Bjoern
August 28th, 2009, 14:10
And why is there no abbreviation for it?:isadizzy:

"Abb."?

And did anyone mention "drink"?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/chowmeinline/ft/05.jpg

:icon_lol:

Scratch
August 28th, 2009, 17:07
"Abb."?

I think you may have invented it!

And did anyone mention "drink"?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/chowmeinline/ft/05.jpg

:icon_lol:

If he was drinking Laphroaig instead of that sweet bourbon his teeth would look much better.:ernae:

Bone
August 28th, 2009, 17:42
LAPHROAIG! Nine out of ten dentists recomend it. I'm almost out, thanks for reminding me.