PDA

View Full Version : Default Boeing 747 handling issues

OBIO
August 26th, 2009, 11:20
I have been flying the default Boeing 747 around a fair bit lately, and have noticed that the handling characteristics on the plane are a bit off. Does anyone know of any improved flight dynamics for this model?

OBIO

PS: I almost pulled off a successful hammerhead stall with this plane last night. Well, the stall was successful, but pulling up out of the dive afterward resulted in the plane bellying in into a Tacoma, Washington neighborhood. Fortunately, no lives were lost in the crash.

Wing_Z
August 26th, 2009, 11:31
Might one suggest the freeware Project Open Sky 747 as an alternative?
I'm not sure hammerhead stalls are part of its flight regime either, though ;)

Terry
August 26th, 2009, 12:45
I have been flying the default Boeing 747 around a fair bit lately, and have noticed that the handling characteristics on the plane are a bit off. Does anyone know of any improved flight dynamics for this model?

OBIO

PS: I almost pulled off a successful hammerhead stall with this plane last night. Well, the stall was successful, but pulling up out of the dive afterward resulted in the plane bellying in into a Tacoma, Washington neighborhood. Fortunately, no lives were lost in the crash.

John Sutter wouldn't like that!

OBIO
August 26th, 2009, 13:27
Wing_Z, will definitely take a look at the Project Open Sky Seven Fo Seven....I have read that it was a really well done bird.

While on the topic of the 747, does anyone know if anyone has done a flight dynamics set for Airforce 1. From what I have read/heard, the Airforce 1 747s have been up-engined a great deal. A bit more umph would be nice to have for the crazy aerobatic stuff I like doing in this big bird. Don't know why I am compelled to do aerobatics in the 747, but I am. I know the Extra 300 is a true aerobatic plane...but I have only flown it once or twice....something about the plane I just don't like.

OBIO

OBIO
August 26th, 2009, 13:30
And who is John Sutter? Did a Google search and the only thing that came up was the guy who discovered gold in Kaleefornya...you know, as in Sutter's Mill and all that jazz.

OBIO

Ferry_vO
August 26th, 2009, 13:42
IMHO most tubes are way too sluggish and unresponsive in Fs.. They are made that way because we sim pilots expect that 's how they handle.

The only tube which handling I like is the CS B757 (FsX, don't have the Fs9 version).

Tom Clayton
August 26th, 2009, 13:49
POSky has an AF1 among their HUGE assortment of 74's. Just don't expect a VC. Also, if you swap panels, be sure to copy over the XML control lines and CAB file or the model won't display properly.

OBIO
August 26th, 2009, 19:07
I downloaded the Polsky UPS 747 with the big cargo nose door. Looked great from the outside. Went to VC view....only to find that there was no VC. That is a killer in my book as I fly from the VC.

OBIO

Tom Clayton
August 26th, 2009, 19:20
Their 777 series has model updates with VC's, and you can also get upgraded VC gauges - but those are VC only and the 2D still uses default gauges.

Wing_Z
August 26th, 2009, 19:27
Yup - 777 is much better for aerobatics...
seriously though the POSKY 777 VC is to be drooled over.
2D panels are a dime a dozen so you can easily pick one that works for you if need.

Ashaman
August 27th, 2009, 02:51
Will never understand people who wants to fly an IFR plane from the scarcely usable VC (was it a VFR plane, it would be understandable, as in visual a VC adds to the sim flight experience, but IFR...), anyway, to each their own. :icon29:

For the default 747 I remember having found some time ago a package on one of the freeware servers that added variants of this plane engined GE, PW and RR with better flight dynamics.

Sadly enough, little more I can tell you about it, as it's a while I haven't been flying jets. Sorry. Try searching about.

Terry
August 27th, 2009, 03:43
And who is John Sutter? Did a Google search and the only thing that came up was the guy who discovered gold in Kaleefornya...you know, as in Sutter's Mill and all that jazz.

OBIO

My mistake, it's Joe Sutter chief design engineer on the 747.

OBIO
August 27th, 2009, 09:11
Will never understand people who wants to fly an IFR plane from the scarcely usable VC (was it a VFR plane, it would be understandable, as in visual a VC adds to the sim flight experience, but IFR...), anyway, to each their own. :icon29:.

It comes down to the fact that my definitions for IFR and VFR are difference than most people's definitions.

IFR = I Fly Recklessly!

VFR = Vertical Flight Rocks!

When I fire up the 747, I have no intention of flying from airport A to airport B 800 miles away. When I fire up the 747, and a lot of other planes, my intention is to do stoopid things in them. Hammerhead stalls in a commercial jetliner...puleeze! But I make every honest attempt to pull that trick off in every plane in my collection. Barrel rolls, loopty loops, low level inverted flying. I do fly "seriously" as well, but only in those planes that I really really have an interest in....early radial powered GA and military aircraft...all others are there just to do stoopid things in.

OBIO

aeronca1
August 27th, 2009, 09:23
...all others are there just to do stoopid things in.

:monkies:

fliger747
August 30th, 2009, 13:52
Well gee.. I have about 13 years of flying real 747's an one thing I will point out is that they are extremely slick airfarmes. If you did try a hamerhead in the real one you might well need 20 thousand feet or more to recover and would likely exceed mach 1 by a bit. There have been several upsets and the planes survived by extending the gear at very high speed, shedding all the gear doors.

Rolls and loops are possible in the (50 million dollar) sim and I do know of the plane being rolled, but the downward acceleration is phenomenal.
T.

Desert Rat
August 30th, 2009, 15:40
Obio,

watch this and weep, lol!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fej9EWWLSsw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fej9EWWLSsw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:jawdrop:
Jamie

Firebar
August 31st, 2009, 03:02
lol, that must taken a bit of practice, see the XB-70 missed a turn though.

Astoroth
August 31st, 2009, 06:25
OBIO,

If you want a great flying 747 with a very nice VC, try the Ready For Pushback 747.

http://www.simviation.com/fs2004jets211.htm

Download the manual also, and read it thoroughly, the panel is and systems management are very detailed.

~A~

Wing_Z
August 31st, 2009, 11:51
Yes, but will it do a hammerhead? :d

I love that movie, there is so much thought in it, and all timed perfectly.
And. the Valkyrie did not miss a turn, it was pulling 9g all the way to the end of the movie :gameon::gameoff:

Firebar
August 31st, 2009, 12:03
slightly wide turning circle.......

Desert Rat
August 31st, 2009, 12:08
If you watch the scenery with the Valkyrie it becomes apparent that it races off around the world, missed a few gates mind, lol.

Firebar
August 31st, 2009, 12:35
i started to get confused at around the eiffel tower, i presume i missed out most of aisa while gaping :bump: