PDA

View Full Version : Confusion? Yes/No

Roger58
August 26th, 2009, 11:06
Now thanks to a kind member I received a DVD today with ETO an MAW on it and some other add ons. I also have OFF coming and have been warned to upgrade my CPU. But that's another issue.

Both ETO and MAW want "Clean" installations of CFS3. Maybe OFF will need one too.

Now that may mean four installations. The one I have now for BOB from JF to which has been added Spitfires from JF and the Memphis Belle from JF. And one for each of the others.

Now when FS2004 Golden Wings came out Windows had to be fooled into thinking there was no other install. And part of that was a file I had to stick someplace.

Now what I need to know is if I can just get away with installing CFS3 into C:/program files/microsoft games/ CFS3ETO and CFS3MAW and if necessary CFSOFF. or do I need to fool the registry files?

Multiple installs can make a mess if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

grizzly50
August 26th, 2009, 12:20
Now thanks to a kind member I received a DVD today with ETO an MAW on it and some other add ons. I also have OFF coming and have been warned to upgrade my CPU. But that's another issue.

Both ETO and MAW want "Clean" installations of CFS3. Maybe OFF will need one too.

Now that may mean four installations. The one I have now for BOB from JF to which has been added Spitfires from JF and the Memphis Belle from JF. And one for each of the others.

Now when FS2004 Golden Wings came out Windows had to be fooled into thinking there was no other install. And part of that was a file I had to stick someplace.

Now what I need to know is if I can just get away with installing CFS3 into C:/program files/microsoft games/ CFS3ETO and CFS3MAW and if necessary CFSOFF. or do I need to fool the registry files?

Multiple installs can make a mess if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

:kilroy:Roger58, you can relax. Each of these add-on, stand-alone games requires but a single, clean, unmodded, fully updated (3.1 & 3.1a) CFS3 install. We call it a vanilla install.

Each add-on, stand-alone game (ETO, MAW, etc) installer(s) merely copy your CFS3 install into a separate game folder (with the name of the new game on it, of course), and without harming your vanilla install one bit.

You can safely have one install of each add-on, stand-alone game without problems. Just as long as you have enough HD space, that is.

Please note that each of these games assumes that installation will be in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games. If you intend to install any of them elsewhere, you will need to direct the self-installer(s) to the new location on your HD.

I hope this helps.:d

Roger58
August 26th, 2009, 12:36
Yes, but I think BOB from Just Flight for CFS3 is a mod. It resides inside CF3 and uses it's interface. The Aircraft reside in the aircraft files and the missions and campaign reside in folders in the program too. You don't load BOB you load CFS3 and the stuff incuding the campaign and missions are in the menue choices.

That doesn't sound to me like a vanilla install as you describe it.

pied
August 26th, 2009, 19:42
Roger,

The 'vanilla install' that the Grizz is referring to is an unmodified installation of CFS3 , patched to version 3.1, with no mods installed.

I created one by using Martin Wright's 'multiple CFS3' program to rename my modded install of CFS3. Then I reinstalled the original CFS3, patched it to ver 3.1, then I installed the ETO, PTO, MAW, and OFF all of which use the 'mult CFS3' program to create themselves.

PIED

grizzly50
August 26th, 2009, 19:48
Yes, but I think BOB from Just Flight for CFS3 is a mod. It resides inside CF3 and uses it's interface. The Aircraft reside in the aircraft files and the missions and campaign reside in folders in the program too. You don't load BOB you load CFS3 and the stuff incuding the campaign and missions are in the menue choices.

That doesn't sound to me like a vanilla install as you describe it.

:kilroy:Roger58, JustFlight's BoB and the FirePower add-on each take over the CFS3 install. In that case you would need Martin Wright's multicfs3.exe. It allows you to have multiple installs of CFS3 on one computer. It's available here: http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/ Follow this pathway when you get there: CFS3/Utilities/Multi Install. Then look for MultiCFS3 on the list, and then click on the yellow dot to download the program.

Example: Install CFS3, then install JustFlight's BoB into that, and before you run CFS3, install your new multicfs3.exe into your Combat Flight Simulator 3 main game folder and run it. It allows you to change the name for the two folders that CFS3 normally generates in your Application Data/Microsoft and My Documents folders. Don't forget to also change the name of the Combat flight Simulator main game folder to reflect the new name you put in with multicfs3.exe. Very good idea to put the start icon that was placed on your desktop in a similarly-named folder on your desktop, or simply re-name it to match your new install. When you start the new game, two new folders will be created in your Application Data and My Documents folders with the new name as well.

After you've done that, you can then freely install CFS3 again normally. Fully update it as before. If you have the FirePower add-on, which also does what JF's BoB does, simply copy the multicfs3.exe into this new CFS3 main game folder and run it, making a new name for a new pair of folders. Then re-name this ne main game folder and make a folder on the desktop for the new start icon, or re-name it.

You would now have two installs of CFS3, one BoB and one Firepower with no problems.

Now, would you believe, Number Three? Sure. Just do this, install CFS3 normally, now for the third time, update it (3.1 and 3.1a), just like you did for the previous two, and then leave it that way. You don't need the multicfs3 for this one. This install will be for ETO, PTO, MAW, OFF, and KS installation.

This will all work beautifully without problems, just as long as you have enough HD space.

Note: Do not try to install any of these add-on, stand-alone games over BoB or FirePower, and vice versa. You will definitely have some problems, especially with ETO. I hope this helps.:d

Roger58
August 27th, 2009, 07:02
OK. Thanks. Now I have to write all this down. I wonder what Over Flanders Fields will require. :isadizzy:

grizzly50
August 27th, 2009, 07:17
OK. Thanks. Now I have to write all this down. I wonder what Over Flanders Fields will require. :isadizzy:

:kilroy:Roger58, Over Flanders Fields (OFF) will require just what I mentioned above. A clean, fully-updated (3.1 and 3.1a), unmodded, vanilla CFS3 install.

If you need more info, or have more questions, feel free to PM me anytime.:d

Roger58
August 27th, 2009, 16:12
Well that was a complete disaster:isadizzy:. Even with PM help I screwed it up some how. It messed up my desk top changed the resolution to who know what, and just removed the whole program from XPs knowledge. So I started going around manually deleting files and folders in Docunents and settings appications and on the HD. Don't know if I have to do anything to the registry. That's a complete mystery.

I could remove Just Flights BOB with the control pannel but not CFS3 or what ever new thing this created. The Folder was renamed Combat Flight Simulator BOB.

Well I'm too tired to try to reinstall CFS3 now. I'll give it another try tomorrow.:gameoff:

hairyspin
August 27th, 2009, 21:19
Roger,

Attached is a .pdf on using MultiCFS3 in the hope it's of some use. You don't have to do anything in the registry.

gwar
August 28th, 2009, 04:19
that would be a gigantic YES, I swear to gawd Ive done this so many times Ive lost count, Half of the solomons missions dont work, resulting in a CTD, ETO just plain crashes, OFF phase 2 either wont see my disc or MISMATCH13 ERROR. I finally just threw the damn discs away, Ive had it. Why you guys picked cfs3 to be a base for any mod is beyond me, Sorry, but thats my 2 cents

P.S. ROGER, quit now while you still have your sanity

Roger58
August 28th, 2009, 08:23
Well I took ETO off and found the problem. Lucky two people kindly sent me disks. One picked up a Trojan somehow probably burried in the OS of the geberating computer. I got ETO installed from the second disk and was feeling pretty good:wiggle:.

Then I tried MAW. Well the way it installed I'm not sure that CFS3 is Vanilla any more or that I did it right. There is a mission builder scorpion in CFS3 directory. I need to look at the AC files, but I think I will have to remove CFS3 and MAW to get that Vanilla install back. I think some files went into CFS3.:gameoff:

I hope that doesnt mean I have to take apart ETO and start all over again.

I haven't had time to see if the stuff will CTD. Just time to do some free flight in each install. The Frame rates have been between 40 and 50 fps.

Roger58
August 28th, 2009, 09:13
I unloaded CFS3 and everythuing continued to work. I then reloaded CFS3.

I think I got it:jump:!:gameon: