PDA

View Full Version : OT: Some thoughts on Temper(s)

Snuffy
August 26th, 2009, 05:57
TEMPER - “A state of mind or emotions; disposition” (As a noun: A tendency to have sudden outbursts of anger)

~~~

THOUGHTS & PONDERISMS:

You can't get rid of your temper by losing it.

Nothing cooks your goose more quickly than a boiling temper.

When you are right, you can afford to keep your temper. When you are wrong, you can't afford to lose it.

Some people think they are big shots because they are always exploding!

Men and pins are useless when they lose their heads.

The trouble with letting off steam is--it only gets you into more hot water.

People who fly into a rage always make a bad landing.

He that loses his head is usually the last one to miss it.

Little pots soon boil over!

Your temper is like a fire - it gets very destructive when it gets out of control.

A man is never in worse company than when he flies in a rage and is beside himself.

Temper is a valuable possession, don't lose it.

Hot tempers lead to cool friends.

The worst-tempered people I've ever met were people who knew they were wrong.

My life is in the hands of any fool who can make me lose my temper.

Hot words never resulted in cool judgment.

He who has a sharp tongue usually cuts his own throat.

You can't put things across by being cross.

The best way to get rid of a hot head is to give him the cold shoulder.

Men with clenched fists cannot shake hands.

Men are like steel. When they lose their temper, they lose their worth.

Our temper is one thing that seems to improve the longer we keep it.

Our temper may get us into trouble but our pride will keep us there.

We need to never do anything when we are in a temper, for we will do everything wrong.

~~~

Any person who can make his opponent lose his temper can defeat him whether it be an athletic contest, debate, or personal encounter. A guide commenting on the height of a mountain range in South America made this statement about a certain jagged volcanic mountain, "This would have been our tallest if it had not blown its top." This can be said of many people who could not maintain the composure of coolness.

~~~

A Poem:
Temper
When I have lost my temper I have lost my reason, too.
I'm never proud of anything which angrily I do.

When I have Talked in anger and my cheeks were flaming red,
I have always uttered something which I wish I hadn't said.

In anger I have never done a kindly deed or wise,
But many things for which I felt I should apologize.

In looking back across my life, and all I've lost or made,
I can't recall a single time when fury ever paid.

So I struggle to be patient, for I've reached a wiser age;
I do not want to do a thing or speak a word in rage.

I have learned by sad experience that when my temper flies,
I never do a worthy thing, a decent deed or wise.

-Anonymous

~~~

A lady once tried to rationalize her angry outbursts. “There’s nothing wrong with losing my temper,” she said. “I blow up, and then it’s all over.” The one she was trying to persuade answered, “So does a shotgun, and look at the damage it leaves behind!”

~~~

TEMPER CONTROL

There was a boy with a bad temper. His father gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, to hammer a nail in the back fence.

The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. Then it gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence.

Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all. He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper.

The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone.

The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. "You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one. You can put a knife in a man and draw it out, it won't matter how many times you say I'm sorry, the wound is still there. A verbal wound is as bad as a physical one."

~~~

It is Hard:
to forget
to apologize
to save money
to be unselfish
to avoid mistakes
to keep out of a rut
to begin all over again
to make the best of all things
to keep your temper at all times
to think first and act afterwards
to maintain a high standard
to keep on keeping on
to shoulder blame
to be charitable
to admit error
to forgive

~~~

A prayer:
So far today, I've done all right.
I haven't gossiped.
I haven't lost my temper.
I haven't lied or cheated.
I haven't been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish, or overindulgent.
I'm very thankful for that.
But in a few minutes, Lord,
I'm going to get out of bed;
and from then on, I'm probably going to need a lot more help.

~~~

You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.

Wing_Z
August 26th, 2009, 11:34
Can't help feeling this should be made a sticky somewhere...

Lionheart
August 26th, 2009, 12:32
Well put Snuffy.

I like that second one up. :d

Bill

cheezyflier
August 26th, 2009, 12:57

this applies to anyone who tries to immigrate to canada.

Chacha
August 26th, 2009, 19:50
Salutes you, Snuffy! That's a good one!

He who has a sharp tongue usually cuts his own throat.

Eli

CG_1976
August 26th, 2009, 20:05

Now take it easy on me:engel016: cheezy, Im new to Canada's Northwest Territory.

Cloud9Gal
August 28th, 2009, 14:04

So tell me cheezyflier, are they REALLY fools for WANTING to immigrate to Canada?? You might want to read the article provided via the link below.

Have you perhaps considered moving to a country, of which you would be more respectful of?

http://www.english-vancouver.com/canada-human-development/

jmig
August 28th, 2009, 14:16
So tell me cheezyflier, are they REALLY fools for WANTING to immigrate to Canada?? You might want to read the article provided via the link below.

Have you perhaps considered moving to a country, of which you would be more respectful of?

http://www.english-vancouver.com/canada-human-development/

:applause:

Although I am not from Canada I applaud anyone who defends their homeland.

Here in the US we often tell people who are always complaining about how messed up we are to go back to where they came. Guess that applies to Canada also. :)

Cloud9Gal
August 28th, 2009, 14:29
And my apologies to Snuffy for kinda hijacking his thread !:173go1:

I truly enjoyed reading this! A lot of sense & truth to it. Thanks for sharing!

Cloud9Gal
August 28th, 2009, 14:57
Now take it easy on me:engel016: cheezy, Im new to Canada's Northwest Territory.

You will love every minute of it! Canada is truly a beautiful country. I have yet to visit the Western Part of it, but my sister drove cross-country and lived for two years in Calgary, then she went on to teach on an Aborigene Reserve in Thompson, Manitoba. She loved every minute of it, even though, she was very isolated, food had to be chartered by plane, and she lived in basically a shack in the middle of nowhere. She said it was the best life experience ever.

So enjoy and take advantage of your surroundings. Get to know the people, they are very welcoming and friendly for the most part :bump:

mariereid
August 28th, 2009, 15:27
Canada is one big country. We have 1/10 of U.S. population. If you like to live in a small town, there is no better place in the world. We are a little behind the times in small town Canada, and that's just the way we like it. I could never leave this country. In fact, I would never leave my home, Eastern Passage, Nova Scotia. Cruise ships come to Halifax, starting in the late spring, and continue coming until the leaves fall off the trees. I cannot believe people pay for looking at apple blossoms and fall colours. If you come here, you may not want to leave. :canada:

Cloud9Gal
August 28th, 2009, 15:44
Canada is one big country. We have 1/10 of U.S. population. If you like to live in a small town, there is no better place in the world. We are a little behind the times in small town Canada, and that's just the way we like it. I could never leave this country. In fact, I would never leave my home, Eastern Passage, Nova Scotia. Cruise ships come to Halifax, starting in the late spring, and continue coming until the leaves fall off the trees. I cannot believe people pay for looking at apple blossoms and fall colours. If you come here, you may not want to leave. :canada:

And that my fellow Canadian, is music to my ears.

Believe me, I long for my country. I truly do! I just came back from a weekend trip to Toronto, and actually felt sad when I crossed the border back in the States. Not that I mind living in the States, but just because my heart belongs where my roots still are and always will be.

:canada:

Snuffy
August 28th, 2009, 15:56
Well I guess I misnamed this thread ... :bump:

No harm done at all ... because actually it diverted my concern that perhaps someone would have latched on to the following comment about tempers ...

Men and pins are useless when they lose their heads.

However, I find myself thinking lately that maybe Canada might not be such a bad place to get to .... :canada:

But in honor of homesickness ...

voEixel2_tY

Cloud9Gal
August 28th, 2009, 16:09
[QUOTE=Snuffy;240680]Well I guess I misnamed this thread ... :bump:

No harm done at all ... because actually it diverted my concern that perhaps someone would have latched on to the following comment about tempers ...

However, I find myself thinking lately that maybe Canada might not be such a bad place to get to .... :canada:

Now THAT was super sweet! http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/romantic/hug.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

Thanks for the video Snuffy! It made me smile! http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/happy/cheerful.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

jmig
August 29th, 2009, 04:37
[QUOTE=Snuffy;240680]Well I guess I misnamed this thread ... :bump:

Now THAT was super sweet! http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/romantic/hug.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

Thanks for the video Snuffy! It made me smile! http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/happy/cheerful.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

I found New Brunswick and Nova Scotia to be very beautiful and full of friendly people. I also found Toronto and Calgary to be full of friendly people. Then, maybe I just happened to find all the nice people ;)

b52bob
August 29th, 2009, 09:50
Make you a deal, We'll take Alberta and you can have Washington DC and everyone in it.
Bob

Toastmaker
August 29th, 2009, 10:26
If they'd take Wash. D.C. - we might even agree to take Quebec. . ! Now that's a deal !!