PDA

View Full Version : Warbirdsim Mustangs For FSX!

Pages : [1] 2

WarBert
August 25th, 2009, 13:20
Hi Guys,

Warbirdsim Mustangs for FSX out now!

10 Aircraft now available.
Sorry for the delay....

It will be well worth it.

Happy Landings!!!

Albert & the Warbirdsim Crew
www.warbirdsim.com (http://www.warbirdsim.com)

noddy
August 25th, 2009, 13:30
Oh man more wallet hurting good news!

calypsos
August 25th, 2009, 13:34
Please, no more this week!!!!!!

I have no money:isadizzy::isadizzy::isadizzy:

Shylock
August 25th, 2009, 13:57
Man this ia a money spending week. I have to cut this out for a bit as the lady isnt all to happy lol

Quicksand
August 25th, 2009, 14:04
I'm already on the s**t list for spending so much the last two weeks. Thanks for the HU, Warbert. It's at the top of my list....

Roger
August 25th, 2009, 14:14
45 quid...it'll have to wait, but I'm glad they're here now for FsX!

Slug Flyer
August 25th, 2009, 14:28
$75 US! You could buy 3-4 other quality add-ons for that. Not to take anything away from the model, which looks superb, but I can't convince myself I would get more enjoyment out of it than I would out of the whole hangar full of of other planes I could get instead. :blind: Eventually, though, I'll probably break down and do it.

MCDesigns
August 25th, 2009, 14:33
Please, no more this week!!!!!!

I have no money:isadizzy::isadizzy::isadizzy:

LMAO, thanks for the laugh, made my day! :ernae:

deathfromafar
August 25th, 2009, 15:06
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered before since it has been a while. Do current owners of the FS9 version get a discount upgrading to the full FSX version?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

peter12213
August 25th, 2009, 15:15
I'm also skint and really want this lol!!

CG_1976
August 25th, 2009, 15:26
Anybody got a Combat Helmet?? Im gonna need one when da wife gets home.:icon_lol:

Mithrin
August 25th, 2009, 15:30
Too pricey for me. Too bad cuz these look really good and I'd love to fly the older versions of the Mustang.

Quicksand
August 25th, 2009, 15:32
I've got them in FS9, and they are worth every cent if you like Mustangs.

lawdawg
August 25th, 2009, 15:35
I can not find..unfortunately..anything that says a discount is in order for previous version(s).

MudMarine
August 25th, 2009, 16:29
$74.00 dollars US...........:isadizzy: That'll be a cold day in hell, unbelievable!

deathfromafar
August 25th, 2009, 16:45
Bought the FS9 version which is more than good enough for me. at $74 US, yes, than can keep it! Sorry WBS, somewhere someone has to draw a line.

hews500d
August 25th, 2009, 16:50
Damn! I wish they would consider a "budget" package and let us choose one or 2 different models or paint schemes. It'll be a looooong while before I can come up with that much cash....

Darrell

forgeknight
August 25th, 2009, 17:11
Wow, that has to be the worst priced package I have seen. Devs keep whining about the time and effort they put in and keep pushing up the prices of these addons while the very talented people who are increasing the quality of freeware keep putting out great products out of love for their art. I wonder who I am more likely to help succeed.... The ponies look great but for that price I will wait for A2A or fly one in IL2 where at least I am able to use it for what it was designed for...shoot other planes down!

Kiwikat
August 25th, 2009, 17:25
Nooooooononononono....

Too expensive for me too. I just dropped a load of money for a good flash for my camera. If it were half the price perhaps I could squeeze it in. :kilroy:

Scratch
August 25th, 2009, 18:01
$74.00 dollars US...........:isadizzy: That'll be a cold day in hell, unbelievable!

I think I'll wait for the A2A AccuSim Mustangs:kilroy:

MudMarine
August 25th, 2009, 19:02

Rgr, that!

SirBenn21
August 25th, 2009, 19:36

DITO. :blind:

Rezabrya
August 25th, 2009, 19:59
I feel I must mention this.
First the ridiculous wait over you trying to make it impossible to register, and now a 75 USD package? Are you trying to have this product fail? You already lost a lot of customers with your insane anti piracy measures/wait, and now you're trying to scare them all off with a crazy price? I saw this thread right when you first posted it and I thought to myself "meh I will wait till I get back from work to see what other people think before I even consider buying it." Yet I come back and not a single person in this thread has bought it for me to base an opinion off of. What is wrong here??? I wonder...

Slug Flyer
August 25th, 2009, 20:47
This will only encourage piracy of the product, I fear. Not that it justifies it, of course, but I suspect now at least a few people who would have bit the bullet and shelled out, say, $30 will now find that their ethics are a bit more flexible.

jankees
August 25th, 2009, 22:06
wow, 45 pounds, and if you want a box, 10 pounds more....
no just the B / C /III option anymore?
Ariane security?

anybody taken the plunge yet?

SirBenn21
August 25th, 2009, 22:22
wow, 45 pounds, and if you want a box, 10 pounds more....
no just the B / C /III option anymore?
Ariane security?

anybody taken the plunge yet?

I thinks only the "elite" are going to fly this one. oh ye and maybe a few pitares. Hopefully not seeing they have killer security.
Like I said. I'll have to wait for A2A. Petty really. :sigh:

Ben

SpaceWeevil
August 25th, 2009, 22:25
£45 for 10 models is good value as long as you really want all ten! Unfortunately the differences (paints besides) beween the 'B' and 'C' are so small as to make it not worth paying this much for a pack with both. I'll certainly reconsider if WBS choose to release the individual versions like they did with FS9 but for now I'll pass. What a shame, this would have been the FSX event of the year for me.

CG_1976
August 25th, 2009, 22:28
Converting UK pounds 54.95 to CAD is about 96.00 ouch.

WarBert
August 25th, 2009, 23:50
Good day all,

With regard price, It is nine months since the FS9 launch.
I don't really think that a £2.96 increase over the FS9 product for 2 additional aircraft and all of the related work involved to enhance the whole package and add security, which may seem a pain for you the end user, but is essential to our survival. You can thank the pirates for that.

The Boxed product is more of an increase due to addtional production and postage and packing costs.

We are more than pleased with what we have now and we hope that you do 'take the plunge' as Jankees put it!

Albert

calypsos
August 26th, 2009, 01:22
Now I can see why I loved the good old days when Alphasim brought out 2-3 models a month for less than 20 dollars.

This may be fantastic modelling, but the cost is beyond belief. I suggest they should keep the boxed price as it is, but sell the DL models at 20 dollars each as single models. I would be happy to buy the Mustang Mk 111 for 20 dollars. It would also help on the DL side, as getting big files on my slow connection is becoming harder and harder.

Just my 'two cents worth'!!

What do you guys think???

Mithrin
August 26th, 2009, 01:40
Good day all,
We are more than pleased with what we have now and we hope that you do 'take the plunge' as Jankees put it!

Albert
Never I will. I understand it's pretty much a one man project but if that's the case then maybe you're in the wrong business and we're in the wrong hobby. For that price I can buy a full new game and one that has been released for a while.

Games like ARMA2 keep me happy for a good 15-20 hours a week so why would I bother with something expensive like this. Again I know you relate the price to the many hours put into this product and I can see from the screenies that it's a fine product really. Maybe the market is too small then. Even if I had the money right now I wouldn't pay for it, this is simply going in against what I believe is fair pricing towards the customer.

No worries though, as everyone always says I have a choice and mine has been made. I'm not whining, just find it a pity I can't get this cuz it looks great. :)

gajit
August 26th, 2009, 02:12
Im going to wait as the price is bound to drop eventually

PRB
August 26th, 2009, 03:29
With regard price, It is nine months since the FS9 launch. I don't really think that a £2.96 increase over the FS9 product for 2 additional aircraft and all of the related work involved to enhance the whole package and add security, which may seem a pain for you the end user, but is essential to our survival. You can thank the pirates for that...

That only works when you’re selling stuff to the government… In a normal economy, you would lower prices if you wanted to increase sales. Raising prices reduces sales, see? And you can’t “make up for” the expected drop in sales, for whatever reason, by jacking up the price per unit, as one developer here stated he had to do. I can thank pirates for the price? And I also must thank them for the insane hassle I have to go through to install it? Well, I won’t be thanking them, thank you, and I guess I won’t be buying the plane either. It looks like a beautiful model too...

gajit
August 26th, 2009, 03:38
Very well put PRB :applause:

Z-PurpleBubble
August 26th, 2009, 03:39
I'm afraid I have to agree with PRB and the rest of the people on the pricing thing.

When an addon costs more than a whole sim (not FSX), there is something wrong.

With these prices, even with the "insane security measures", you are driving your creation into the hands of pirates.

And you're trying to make us pay for that. Something's not right here.

calypsos
August 26th, 2009, 04:55
I wonder if the whole payware saga is getting out of hand.

If all these developers went back to doing it as a hobby, like Tim Piglet Conrad and Dave Garwood we would not have pirates :blind: and we would all and would all enjoy what brought most of us into this hobby, a nice friendly and cheap way of passing the time.

FACT....you cannot make enough money to make a living out of MSFS add-ons whatever the price.

FACT....Piracy is here to stay (in the medium to short term), right or wrong.

With the money we saved we could buy all the latest hardware that would give us what we really want! Super detailed and super smooth flight simming! Not 'stuttering' PC's loaded with expensive add-ons we get fed up waiting for the bugs (that should have been sorted first:sleep:) to be fixed!

I am not directing this last 'rant' at this developer, his FS9 Mustang was superb, but at the state of the hobby (in FSX in particular) as I find it today.

The price of this add-on made me question 'What is going on', that's all!

JorisVandenBerghe
August 26th, 2009, 05:02
I'm afraid I did not pay enough attention during my economics classes during the last year, but I do know that of some products, you can raise or lower the price ridiculously high, and people will buy it anyway, whether it's an expensive or a cheap product.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elasticity_%28economics%29

Wait and see or this is applicable to the Warbirdsim Mustangs for FSX...
The Warbirdsim ponies look excellent, but I assume there isn't a P-51B with Malcolm hood included, is there ?
Magnificent work however, good job!

hews500d
August 26th, 2009, 05:06
Good day all,

I don't really think that a £2.96 increase over the FS9 product for 2 additional aircraft and all of the related work involved to enhance the whole package and add security, which may seem a pain for you the end user, but is essential to our survival. You can thank the pirates for that.

Albert

As someone else stated, I would gladly pay a reasonable price for individual aircraft (Princess Elizabeth and the Malcolm Hood model), but not having the choice of doing this just makes it impossible for me to justify laying out that much $$ for 10 planes, most of which I would never fly anyway. As for the security measures, mixed emotions on that one. I hope they do work for you and do not cause endless and needless frustration for those that do purchase, but ultimately, they probably will end up being pirated at some point, sadly.

I wish you much success in your marketing plans, but I'm afraid you've left out a big part of the simulation community by not offering several options in aircraft selection.

Darrell

Lawman
August 26th, 2009, 05:26
Okay, I'm maybe going to ruffle some feathers here, but I have to ask: why is it that whenever a developer prices his product in the high-end region we have to go through all these "I'm not gonna buy it because it costs too much and ... (insert reason for not buying)"-posts again?

It's really simple in my book: a developer offers me his/her product at a certain price (s)he thinks is fitting for his/her product. I can either say "yes" or "no" to that offer. We make those kind of decisions everyday if we e.g. go to the supermarket. However, I do not feel the need to post or discuss my decision in a forum. What's the point? I respect each posters' decision to not buy (for whatever reason), but each and everyone of you makes a personal decision that has no further significance to the rest of the world. Too expensive? Just say to yourself "Thanks, but this one's not for me", leave it at that and move on.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh or if I have offended anyone. That's not my intention. But I get sooo tired of these kind of posts that we've been through hundreds of times already.

empeck
August 26th, 2009, 06:10
I don't want to be harsh too, but maybe addons prices are too high these days? It's easy to blame lack of sales to pirates, I just want to say there may be many more reasons besides piracy. High price may be one of them.

bluediamond
August 26th, 2009, 06:13
I guess I'm in the minority here.I would rather buy a few well researched offerings that have obviously been modeled to a higher degree than to buy every mediocre offering with a Buy Now button.Will definitely be getting these today.

Michael

Slug Flyer
August 26th, 2009, 06:19
The highly questionable implication there seems to be that every add-on in the usual ($20-$40) price range is mediocre.

calypsos
August 26th, 2009, 06:41
Here is the common scenario (getting more common by the week), you are out of work (blame the bankers!:blind:), you still need to eat though. Normally you have bought and paid for all your add-ons, then one fantastic 'must have' comes along at the same price as your weekly food shop.

Everyone raves about it, how many people in that position will be tempted to google a pirate download of some kind (I am told that these exsist!) which will take all of 5 seconds. No policeman will call (at least not until few years time, if and when laws are changed) and you can still eat. You will not go to jail or have a criminal record! If the cost of the add-on was the price of a bottle of wine or a steak, maybe you will go without yourself for a day or so, and have a clear concience.

As I said, piracy is wrong, but it is a fact of life. Putting up a big security fence (which the paying customers have to navigate through) will only delay the theft.

When I was involved with Skysim, we had more trouble from the security system (which worked well.....for several months) than any good from a damn fine model.

Lawman
August 26th, 2009, 06:51
I don't want to be harsh too, but maybe addons prices are too high these days? It's easy to blame lack of sales to pirates, I just want to say there may be many more reasons besides piracy. High price may be one of them.

Sure prices are getting higher (most things get more expensive). But IMHO one of the more valid reasons is that in our Western society we got so used to (immediately) getting what we want when we want it, that we can't deal with (perceived) "rejection" or "losing" anymore. We want "instant satisfaction" (no, not of that kind).
Basically, the attitude in Western society nowadays (and to paraphrase a Queen-song) is "I want it all, I want it now and I want it as cheaply as possible, yet it has to be of the highest quality".

italoc
August 26th, 2009, 06:52
Too pricey for me. Too bad cuz these look really good and I'd love to fly the older versions of the Mustang.

For me, too
Pity !!!:bump:

Italo

bluediamond
August 26th, 2009, 06:59
@ Slug Flyer

You seem to be new here so welcome to SOH.In the future please do not put words in my mouth.No where did I mention a $20-$40 price range.There are great aircraft in every price range and also some terrific freeware available.I just save my pennies for a select few aircraft that I am passionate about.

Michael

Slug Flyer
August 26th, 2009, 07:05
@ Slug Flyer

You seem to be new here so welcome to SOH.In the future please do not put words in my mouth.No where did I mention a $20-$40 price range.There are great aircraft in every price range and also some terrific freeware available.I just save my pennies for a select few aircraft that I am passionate about.

Michael

To me, the clear implication of your post was that add-ons in the price range we've come to expect are mediocre in comparison to the astronomically-priced WBS Mustangs. Actually, there are add-ons for under $40 which are every bit their equal, I believe. What "medicore" offerings did you have in mind?

MudMarine
August 26th, 2009, 08:03
Good day all,

The Boxed product is more of an increase due to addtional production and postage and packing costs.

Albert

As soon as the price comes down to a reasonable place I'll buy it. I love how we have to "pay" for security..............

Spilot69
August 26th, 2009, 08:06
I would pay $40 maybe $50 at the most for the package. Its priced ridiculously high, I understand you get 10 models but really its the same plane with 10 paintschemes. Sounds like Ariane to me. Sorry but even the A2A P-47 with Accusim included costs 52.00 and you get a whole lot more in my opinion. If you decide to reduce your prices to reasonable prices I would buy your product but not right now! Your loosing tons of business, and I'm sad that I won't be enjoying your product because it looks very nice. And Bomber no offense to you because you did a great job on this plane, I'm just sorry that you made legal engagement with this company. My 2 cents.

JIMJAM
August 26th, 2009, 08:20
Regardless of the price, I honestly do not need any more planes.
Not even counting the repaints, I have enough to fly a different plane,heli everyday for a couple months. A new plane comes out,you buy it and get that quick new toy buzz but it quickly wears off when you realize there is nothing new to do.
The Lotus jet was my latest purchase and worth every penny. However I am already running into the dreaded "what now"..
I still will pick up the occasional diamond that comes out once every 3 or 4 months but instead have been spending more time with other sims. Blackshark and Rise of fllight are each cheaper than some of the latest addons.

Henry
August 26th, 2009, 08:27
Before this thread gets out of hand
one must respect the creators and Marketing opinions
personally i believe the price is high
we can state our opinions
but the bottom line will be the sales
if they only sell a few
maybe they will rethink,
regardless of how many hours put into it
it could be the best product ever made
but if there are no sales
then the point is mute
Please do not start to bad mouth the company
right or wrong it is there decision
H

SpaceWeevil
August 26th, 2009, 08:36
The issue here is not how much the whole package costs but that our choice is either buy the whole package or go without. Several people have said they'd snap up the single model packs, obviously at higher $£ than the FS9 equivalents. This is customer feedback Albert!

I'm not getting upset about this - I won't suffer without this great model but WarbirdSim certainly will if not enough people buy it. I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this 'take it all or go without' attitude.

MudMarine
August 26th, 2009, 08:39
Before this thread gets out of hand
one must respect the creators and Marketing opinions
personally i believe the price is high
we can state our opinions
but the bottom line will be the sales
if they only sell a few
maybe they will rethink,
regardless of how many hours put into it
it could be the best product ever made
but if there are no sales
then the point is mute
Please do not start to bad mouth the company
right or wrong it is there decision
H

I respect their right to market their product anyway they want. As a consumer I'm letting them know what I'd like. Capitalism in action.:engel016:

Scratch
August 26th, 2009, 08:42
No hard feelings here either, I just have to draw the line somewhere and this is it. It is a quality product and I wish them well.

calypsos
August 26th, 2009, 08:43
Any developer who makes an announcement here (i.e. gets a free advert to several thousand potential buyers) does leave themselves open to comment (unless the initial post is locked, before anyone can reply).

Yes, this may be a Rolls Royce product (is it?, has anybody managed to buy it yet??) and costs the earth. But in any local pub or bar, people are free to say that (in their opinion) owners of Rolls Royces have more money than sense!! Alas, the price does not come down though. Mine's a large glass of red wine!

MudMarine
August 26th, 2009, 08:51
I'd like to know if the engine management is anything like the A2A Jug? If it is then to me it might be worth all that money........?!?!?!?!?!:engel016:

Roger
August 26th, 2009, 09:48
I commented earlier that I thought it was a bit pricey but that I was glad it's finally here. the reason for my reticence is that i've been out of work since April but have secured a 3 month contract that finishes in November. Hence I can afford the odd add-on but at £45 I'll have to wait until I can secure a full time contract. If I was in that position today I would have bought the package. I know the quality of John's work and what great paint packs he has done for us over the years!

empeck
August 26th, 2009, 10:12
Before this thread gets out of hand (...)

I think this thread is very honest so far. People can say if an addon is worth they money or not. There is no bashing here I think.

I wish Warbirdsim all the best, will their marketing strategy work? I don't know, time will tell.

Akatsuki
August 26th, 2009, 10:15
I took the plunge ... and guess what... at the moment the activation is bugged... kind of funny when you know the release was delayed to make sure the activation went smoothly...
The price asked for this one plus this "glitch" as they call it makes me want to stop buying paywares...:pop4:

jankees
August 26th, 2009, 10:39
amazing, apparently just one buyer so far...
what a restraint for this bunch of warbird nuts...
I must say that I am holding back as well...

Josquin, if you get it to work, please tell us your impressions.
I would very much like to know how it compares to the A2A Razorback, which to me is still king...

Albert, on your site there is talk of four different packages, like for the FS9 version. So far, there is just what you call the fourth.
Are the others indeed in the pipeline, and if so, when can we expect those packages? If not, why not?

Another question I have is about a paintkit. Will there be one?

WarBert
August 26th, 2009, 11:33
The site I had hoped, was pretty straight forward in that the announcement tells about the new release for FSX finishing with a banner for FSX.

Underneath this is the text for FS2004 product clearly stated.

No there are no plans for the smaller packages.

Our activation glitch has been sorted out now thanks.

Apologies to our customers who have any issues.
It is a new system that we have not used before and is working fine now.

Albert

Stickshaker
August 26th, 2009, 11:45
I find it demotivating to keep reading that this or that product is too expensive. Who should I care what anyone thinks of the price? It is completely useless information for me. If you don’t like a product for whatever reason, don’t buy it, I don’t care. When there is a thread about a new product I want to learn about that product, not have to wade through all kinds of complaints about price, which does not help me one little bit in my decision to buy or not to buy and that I’ve seen a thousand times before. Can we not start a special ‘price’ thread for those who want to complain about it? Then we can reserve product announcement threads for useful information. I resist the temptation to elaborate on why I think that we should be glad that we can fly our favourite planes in a simulator at all, and why it is doubtful that prices are too high from a developer’s point of view, for I did that on SOH forums before so that’s also useless information.

Mithrin
August 26th, 2009, 11:48
Stickshaker, with my job money is an issue and if I want something really bad because I have a particular fond feeling for certain product then it's a real disappointment if I can't get it. Kind of like the young lad staring at the big Ferrari model in the toystore that is priced way over his 5 cents candy money. :icon_lol:

Not complaining, just hoping and wishing for a lower price. I mean at 30 bucks I would have already been flying this thing.

Also this is a much easier way for the developer to keep track about the feelings about his product. That's kind of the point about dedicated threads for one product. Unfortunately sometimes it won't be all praise but at least we're all staying on topic.

Slug Flyer
August 26th, 2009, 11:55
I find it demotivating to keep reading that this or that product is too expensive. Who should I care what anyone thinks of the price?

Unfortunately, internet discussion forms are 90% people expressing their opinions.

When there is a thread about a new product I want to learn about that product,

Unfortunately, so far the cost has been a barrier to anybody offering firsthand impressions.

Rezabrya
August 26th, 2009, 11:59
Stickshaker, You say that you want to read reviews of it, but that is the problem! Nobody has bought it because of the outrageous price. We are simply asking this developer to rethink his price so that we can buy these excellent models.

Stickshaker
August 26th, 2009, 12:01
Mithrin,
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
I entirely sympathise with your predicament and I can understand your disappointment. But that is a personal feeling, no doubt shared by many, sometimes also by me, but still no reason to complain about the price. It’s a fact of life. Everybody is entitled to share such a feeling on a forum but what’s the point? The developer will see from his sales and the comments about the product whether the price or other product attributes are a reason for slow sales. I suppose h can even start a poll (although I don’t know whether that is allowed for commercial products) And if anyone wants to say something about the price, then don’t complain or elaborate about your personal financial or job situation which no-one can do anything about, but explain, for example, how much you would in fact be prepared to pay, or which features of the product you would want to forego if that would bring the price down. That is information that the developer might find useful.<o:p></o:p>
But if you are just as big a fan of the Mustang as I am, I hope for you that the price will come down in the coming months.

Kiwikat
August 26th, 2009, 12:02
Unfortunately, internet discussion forms are 90% people expressing their opinions.

That is what forums are for... sharing opinions and ideas in a hopefully civilized manner.

It does seem that no one is sharing any other opinions because no one has bought it because of the price.

lawdawg
August 26th, 2009, 12:08
I took the plunge...to use the phrase from earlier. I too am waiting for the new activation due to the earlier problem.
Therefore, I can not say how or what at the moment. I am hoping the wait is short.
I will then say.
As for my opinion regarding price, that will change nothing cause most folks see things thru different lenses. I am really hoping that I can be justified for the money spent. I'll let ya know fellas.

Stickshaker
August 26th, 2009, 12:09
I'll buy it and fly it as soon as I have the time, and let you know what I think about it. It may take a fwe days but hang on. How about suspending the discussion about the price until I or very hopefully others have something to say about the planes? And of course I will never be able to decide for anyone whether the planes are worth the price for them...

lawdawg
August 26th, 2009, 12:18
All I can do is give you all my findings as I see them. Stickshaker's gotta good point. I ain't even gonna attempt to push either direction.
Just wanna help...if that's possible.

forgeknight
August 26th, 2009, 12:31
Who is Stickshaker to tell any of us what we should or should not discuss on here and how we should or shouldnt go about it. To much of that has been going on here. People start expressing opinion and all of a sudden those people are in the wrong for it? This is how change comes about, Warbirdsim will see there is a demand for their product but at a more across the board price. If this was A2A or Aerosoft or any other Dev I think the same things would be said. And if there wasnt complaint what would stop the other companies from raiseing prices across the board?

Mithrin
August 26th, 2009, 12:35
@forgeknight, amen bro.:applause:

Tweek
August 26th, 2009, 12:56
It might even have been a reasonable price for die hard Mustang fans if there weren't already P-51 models out there, either. The A2A P-51D is more than enough for casual simmers such as myself, and for those who are a bit more serious about it, we'll have the Accusim version at some point in the near future. It's like having the IRIS Vulcan B.2, then being asked to pay over twice as much by someone else, so you can have a B.1 variant to go with it. It just simply wouldn't be worth it to most people.

Gregory Paul
August 26th, 2009, 12:58
I'll wait until the A2A P-51's come out. The price of this one is to much for me.

jankees
August 26th, 2009, 13:14
The site I had hoped, was pretty straight forward in that the announcement tells about the new release for FSX finishing with a banner for FSX.

Underneath this is the text for FS2004 product clearly stated.

No there are no plans for the smaller packages.

This page (http://www.warbirdsim.com/Content.do?state=ThreeColumn&content=specs) mentions 4 packages, but I can not find FS9/FS2004 anywhere on this page, so I assumed it was to be for FSX.

Too bad...

and a paintkit?

lawdawg
August 26th, 2009, 13:21
I took it out for a spin.
I am not a reviewer, nor a real P-51 pilot. I will say that the inside and out look pretty good. Sounds are fine.
There is not as much fidelity as I was hoping for..such as A2A w/Accusim. I am not saying I was expecting same across the board on that..just hoping for similar.
Flight dynamics seem to be ok.
All in all...I like A2a's bird better.
If you guys have any specific questions, I will do my best to answer.

Scratch
August 26th, 2009, 13:45
Maybe squeeze in a few screenshots if you have time:applause:

calypsos
August 26th, 2009, 13:46
The best feature in the FS9 model is the castoring tailwheel (push the stick forward to unlock) and I had almost as much fun with it on the ground as in the air. I wish all taildraggers were half as good.

I will never know if this replicated well in FSX, but, as having already paid out a small fortune for the old model, I will just fire up FS9 from time to time. That is a better use of my meagre cash income! But not great for the developers cashflow.

SirBenn21
August 26th, 2009, 13:47
Just another question.

Why is the manual a separate purchase? Is it in booklet form? :kilroy:

Lawdawg do you get any manual with the package?

Ben

lawdawg
August 26th, 2009, 13:50
The manual comes with..PDF form.
Hey Mud marine, I never fooled with takin snapshots. Never tried before. I always fly..that's been it before.
If ya could lemme know..I prolly could.

SirBenn21
August 26th, 2009, 13:55
The best feature in the FS9 model is the castoring tailwheel (push the stick forward to unlock) and I had almost as much fun with it on the ground as in the air. I wish all taildraggers were half as good.

I will never know if this replicated well in FSX, but, as having already paid out a small fortune for the old model, I will just fire up FS9 from time to time. That is a better use of my meagre cash income! But not great for the developers cashflow.

Classics Hangar Fw190 also simulated it. It was quite funny whatching me try and taxi(grumbling under my breath) before I figured it out. :d

Akatsuki
August 26th, 2009, 19:21
I got the activation issue sorted.
I did a 30 minutes fly, the FM seem good but i'm not an expert in FM anyway so it's just an IMHO...
The external model is nice, the texturing is good too.
Now the VC: it looks good but as good as the WoP2 Mustang not more, it have 2D gauges ( or very flat 3D gauges :mixedsmi:) which is disapointing for a plane of that price and considering what other companies are offering these days...
As far as system modelling goes don't ask, i just flew it and did not try to manage any systems, so it might be great in these areas, i just don't know.
Don't be misleaded, she's fun to fly but at that price tag one have to be picky and this one makes me think of a late 2007 must have, not a 2009 must buy add on...
I don't like to flame other's work but i've been asked what i thought of it, so i'm honest here...

Of course this is my opinion only...:pop4:

Edit: i'll post some screenshots tomorrow.

djscoo
August 26th, 2009, 19:53
I'm afraid I did not pay enough attention during my economics classes during the last year, but I do know that of some products, you can raise or lower the price ridiculously high, and people will buy it anyway, whether it's an expensive or a cheap product.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elasticity_%28economics%29

Wait and see or this is applicable to the Warbirdsim Mustangs for FSX...
The Warbirdsim ponies look excellent, but I assume there isn't a P-51B with Malcolm hood included, is there ?
Magnificent work however, good job!

Unfortunately, and with all due respect, you just made an argument against yourself. Products purchased purely for pleasure are highly elastic (price wise). Meaning they are very sensitive to change in price. Due to the fact that the download version of this product in not a tangible product, a lot of the rules of economics do not apply to it. The download version literally has an unlimited supply...the demand is there, it has yet to manifest itself due to another economic term.

Marginal Cost/Marginal Benefit. The logical consumer, prior to purchase will do a cost-benefit analysis. In this case, it seems the consumer will not be receiving as much pleasure from this product as he would with ~$75 worth of another product.(or the satisfaction of $75 in the bank.)

Back to when gas prices were ~$3+ a gallon, people didn't just stop driving. They still had to be at work, school, etc. This is an example of price inelasticity.

Sorry for quoting such an old post... :ernae:

MudMarine
August 26th, 2009, 19:55
The manual comes with..PDF form.
Hey Mud marine, I never fooled with takin snapshots. Never tried before. I always fly..that's been it before.
If ya could lemme know..I prolly could.

Get a screen shot program from Fltsim or Avsim. All you have to do is fire it up, load fs9, take off and hit Print Screen and you'll have a jpeg.

Slug Flyer
August 26th, 2009, 19:58
Get a screen shot program from Fltsim or Avsim. All you have to do is fire it up, load fs9, take off and hit Print Screen and you'll have a jpeg.

Or in FSX, just hit "V" and they automatically save to a folder in your "My Pictures" directory. :applause: One of my favorite little improvements from FS9 to FSX, I never did find a screenshot utility that worked reliably for FS9.

Creepy847
August 26th, 2009, 21:09
Well I took the plunge and I have to say Im having alot of fun with it. Yes its pricey, but its not marketed for everyone. I mean if I went to a car lot and was buying a car for $30,000 bucks and someone was standing behind me and said to his wife why cant I buy a car for $30,000? And his wife replys because we dont have $30,000 bucks! Is that a reason for the guy to get pissed off at the dealership?

Im no expert on anything, but I like having the option to buy something thats been well designed. Its obivous that alot of hard work went into this package. WBS has a right to price and market theyre work however they want or need.

As far as the antipiracy software. I basically didnt have any issue. I read the directions and did what they said and it worked.

The plane sounds great, flys great, looks great. It could be alittle cheaper, but I also could be alittle taller. If you have the cash and you want it then buy it, if not then wait for A2A or forget about it. Im a casual simmer so I cant comment on how accurate it really is. In reality how many of us really could. When was the last time you actually went to airport and fired up your old mustang and asked for clearance?

Im a happy customer and wish them success with this package. One thing they might consider is offering a smaller package. Maybe not right now, but surely down the road. It would def be good for sales. Either way the antipiracy will only last so long. If you wait too long you'll end up loosing money.

Thats my 2 cents.

Creeps..

PS: Nice job...

calypsos
August 26th, 2009, 22:40
Thanks for those comments, she is basically a FSX native version of the very good FS9 model, from what I read; rather like the recent releases from AlphaSim......but Phil gave them away free to the FS9 customers!!

lucas81
August 27th, 2009, 00:50
I think that many 2D features were done from scratch and so some 3D limitations from the FS2004. The model looks brilliant on screenshots and surely is a gem.
I hope that WBS would consider relasing single model packages in the future. Personally, Iam not a big fan of the Ponies, but I'd love to have Mustang III from the 315 SQN. This Mustang variation has always been a favourite of myself.

Lucas

JorisVandenBerghe
August 27th, 2009, 02:32
Unfortunately, and with all due respect, you just made an argument against yourself. Products purchased purely for pleasure are highly elastic (price wise). Meaning they are very sensitive to change in price. Due to the fact that the download version of this product in not a tangible product, a lot of the rules of economics do not apply to it. The download version literally has an unlimited supply...the demand is there, it has yet to manifest itself due to another economic term.

Marginal Cost/Marginal Benefit. The logical consumer, prior to purchase will do a cost-benefit analysis. In this case, it seems the consumer will not be receiving as much pleasure from this product as he would with ~$75 worth of another product.(or the satisfaction of $75 in the bank.)

Back to when gas prices were ~$3+ a gallon, people didn't just stop driving. They still had to be at work, school, etc. This is an example of price inelasticity.

Sorry for quoting such an old post... :ernae:
I told you I didn't pay enough attention during economics classes (a single hour per week or something) :kilroy: :icon_lol:.
That's a term I've never heard of, I'm afraid (or is it my memory letting me down :blind: ?).
Oh well, back on-topic :mixedsmi:.

richardaero
August 27th, 2009, 03:39
Hi,
I have been watching this thread closely and I am pleased that at long last there are some positive comments being made. Purchased it last night and I am extremely pleased. Install was smooth, activation was pretty quick and the aircarft are a work of art.
The non Mustang aficianados will miss things like the Laminar Flow wing profile, accurate radiator scoop, correct engine cowl profile, exremely accurate sounds, I know from being lucky enough to have 45 minutes in the back of a UK based 'D', The texture detail, overall very accurate outline, cockpit detail..... the list goes on and on.

If we continue to moan about developers like Warbirdsim, they will pack up their bags and try something esle. Then the future of our hobby looks pretty bleak. We will have to rely on freeware, which is in some cases excellent. But most freeware modellers can't afford several trips in a P-51D to get the correct sounds!
I am a very happy customer and look forward with anticipation to their next release.
Albert, John & Team Good luck & don't let the moaners put you off.
Richard

jankees
August 27th, 2009, 04:39
This is turning into a strange release of a new aircraft...
Normally, you'd have a bunch of screenshots already, and a lot of people raving about how great the model is, and here all we have is a restrained reaction.
Josquin says it's OK, for a 2007 release...
The only really happy remarks so far are from Creepy847 and Richardaero.
Richardaero's only posts ever have been about how happy he is with the warbirdsim P-51 (first the FS9 model, now this one), and Creepy has one post a few days ago about the Iris F-16, that's all.
Sorry guys, I smell something fishy here...

I ask about a paintkit, but receive no reply,
the website says different packages, which Albert denies,
our old friend Bomber is once again completely quiet about his work,
there's the Ariane connection,
and the pricetag is.....interesting.
I might have bought one of the smaller packages, but not the whole lot. What is the difference between a B and C model anyway? I don't know?
I can easily afford it, heck, I even bought the L-39, and I'd never even heard of the plane before, but it was because of the enthousiastic reports and the great screenshots. That was money well spent!
Here I am asked to pay top dollar...eh, pound, for something that nobody seems to be able to tell me anything about.
I have this unpleasant feeling about the whole thing.
I therefore decide to give it a miss.
Just my few cents....which will be going in another direction

Tweek
August 27th, 2009, 04:58
Well I took the plunge and I have to say Im having alot of fun with it. Yes its pricey, but its not marketed for everyone. I mean if I went to a car lot and was buying a car for $30,000 bucks and someone was standing behind me and said to his wife why cant I buy a car for $30,000? And his wife replys because we dont have $30,000 bucks! Is that a reason for the guy to get pissed off at the dealership?

If the car gave you nothing over a $15,000 car, then yes, it would be.

Plus, seeing as this appears to be just an upgrade of the FS9 version so it'll give you all the nice fancy things that FSX has to offer, for some people it'd be like buying the $30k car they already had, for $30k again, but just so they could have a sat nav and a set of new tyres.

SpaceWeevil
August 27th, 2009, 05:26
This is turning into a strange release of a new aircraft...
Normally, you'd have a bunch of screenshots already, and a lot of people raving about how great the model is, and here all we have is a restrained reaction.
Josquin says it's OK, for a 2007 release...
The only really happy remarks so far are from Creepy847 and Richardaero.
Richardaero's only posts ever have been about how happy he is with the warbirdsim P-51 (first the FS9 model, now this one), and Creepy has one post a few days ago about the Iris F-16, that's all.
Sorry guys, I smell something fishy here...

I ask about a paintkit, but receive no reply,
the website says different packages, which Albert denies,
our old friend Bomber is once again completely quiet about his work,
there's the Ariane connection,
and the pricetag is.....interesting.
I might have bought one of the smaller packages, but not the whole lot. What is the difference between a B and C model anyway? I don't know?
I can easily afford it, heck, I even bought the L-39, and I'd never even heard of the plane before, but it was because of the enthousiastic reports and the great screenshots. That was money well spent!
Here I am asked to pay top dollar...eh, pound, for something that nobody seems to be able to tell me anything about.
I have this unpleasant feeling about the whole thing.
I therefore decide to give it a miss.
Just my few cents....which will be going in another direction

Hmm, interesting but not necessarily any sort of conspiracy, which is kind of what's being implied. There are a bunch of screenshots on the WBS website - blue IMAGES link under the pic of Sleepytime Gal. Just above the bit about the different packages there is this sentence, "Warbirdsim's North American Mustang Series for FS2004 is ready to take to the skies - primed and waiting for everyone to experience & fly..."' I agree it's not the greatest or clearest piece of web design but it is there. The website explains the Ariane connection in terms of them having the beefiest activation security. What it 'cost' WBS to buy into that and how much Ariane are calling the shots on this release is not really my business.

I think the main difference between the B and C was where they were built but I'm sure someone will correct me! I agree they're too similar for me to want to buy both. I'm sure John T's silence can be attributed to contractural issues, and as for Albert - well some developers go ballistic when they're criticised, some go defensive and some just go.

If I was Albert, knowing you were THE Mustang repaint man (props to all you others of course) I'd be bunging you a free copy and saying 'Get painting!' Just my £45 worth.

Kiwikat
August 27th, 2009, 05:48
If the car gave you nothing over a $15,000 car, then yes, it would be.

Plus, seeing as this appears to be just an upgrade of the FS9 version so it'll give you all the nice fancy things that FSX has to offer, for some people it'd be like buying the $30k car they already had, for $30k again, but just so they could have a sat nav and a set of new tyres.

Well said. :kilroy:

Creepy847
August 27th, 2009, 09:14
Jankees,

I dont like to post very often. Just my personal preference. I tend to read the forums and keep my mouth shut. Im not sure why you feel that is fishy.

And if I thought the WBS P-51 was crap I say it with respect. Im not being paid by anyone to support theyre products if thats what your implying.

I found the treads dishearting on this aircraft and wanted to say something positive about it. Alot of heart and soul went into this product. Im not sure if its just an upgrade from theyre FS9 version. Either way its flawless in FSX and thats what I was willing to pay for.
We have choices in life and this is just another small one. Buy it or dont buy. If the price is too high then we can share that with the developers and see what they do with it. Either way I want developers who will go thru the pains of creating something like this cause Im willing to pay top dollar for it.

Who else is going to do it? You, me the freeware devs. I think not. So now we have a choice as opposed to no choice at all.

The reality is if you have the cash then buy it. My point is pretty much cut and dry.

I agree its expensive. And yes there are times when you buy something and you know your gonna pay top dollar for it. Some folks will look at you and say Id never buy that, but for the folks that really want it they have a right to buy it and the developers have a right to charge what they feel is the correct price for theyre hard work.

Theres lots of things we buy that another person wouldnt think of. Either by interest or price and more important a need for it.

Eventually WBS will probably release cheaper packages. For right now this is what we have and if you have the money and want the package even if you feel its only an upgrade then get off your arse and buy it.

Theres no conspiracy and theres nothing fishy about that. I have a car that most folks wouldnt think about buying because of price or usability. Some of my friends tell me its a great looking car and would be fun as hell to drive, but they wouldnt pay that kind of money for it. Again its about personal choices and the amount of money your willing to part with.
Maybe some of you feel its nothing more than an upgrade to theyre FS9 version, but to me its a piece of art that Im willing to pay top dollar for. :ernae:
Creeps.

ryanbatc
August 27th, 2009, 09:27
Nooooooononononono....

Too expensive for me too. I just dropped a load of money for a good flash for my camera. If it were half the price perhaps I could squeeze it in. :kilroy:

It is on the pricey side. What do you guys think would be a fair price?

I'm thinking 40 ish give or take...

calypsos
August 27th, 2009, 09:47
It
is on the pricey side. What do you guys think would be a fair price?

I'm thinking 40 ish give or take...

I take it you mean US dollars? Yes, I think I would be tempted (but not this week) by that price. Some here would say a Ferrari for 20,000, you are 'having a laugh' though.

However, despite those who are getting 'depressed' about the tone of this thread (get over it!), this here place is a FORUM....a place for ideas, thoughts, opinions and disscussion.

It is not (like the old AS forum) a place of worship to developers who are using it to advertise their products. The day that happens, is the day I stop reading what people say here.

Good looking product, but too expensive for my pocket...last post (by me) on this thread!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

jankees
August 27th, 2009, 10:01
Sorry Creeps, if I offended you.
Me, I'm looking for info as to whether the package is worth the price. Here's the reasoning behind my post:
So far, we have two people (who have posted before) who bought it and weren't too impressed:

There is not as much fidelity as I was hoping for..such as A2A w/Accusim. I am not saying I was expecting same across the board on that..just hoping for similar.

Now the VC: it looks good but as good as the WoP2 Mustang not more, it have 2D gauges ( or very flat 3D gauges :mixedsmi:) which is disapointing for a plane of that price and considering what other companies are offering these days...
...this one makes me think of a late 2007 must have, not a 2009 must buy add on...

not really a "must buy" then?

and two people (with very few posts) who like it:

The plane sounds great, flys great, looks great. It could be alittle cheaper, but I also could be alittle taller.

That does not tell me alot..the rest is along the lines of be 'nice to the company'...

and then this:

Hi,
I have been watching this thread closely and I am pleased that at long last there are some positive comments being made. Purchased it last night and I am extremely pleased. Install was smooth, activation was pretty quick and the aircarft are a work of art.
The non Mustang aficianados will miss things like the Laminar Flow wing profile, accurate radiator scoop, correct engine cowl profile, exremely accurate sounds, I know from being lucky enough to have 45 minutes in the back of a UK based 'D', The texture detail, overall very accurate outline, cockpit detail..... the list goes on and on.....

"miss the laminar flow wing profile? miss the accurate radiator scoop?"
What is this??? And from a guy who's only other post was praising the FS9 model. Come on!
So, I smelled something very fishy in this last post, and to be true, a bit in yours as well. Too many excuses for the company I felt, not enough about the model.

And I still haven't had any real info on the quality of the model.
What is the difference with the FS9 model for instance?
If I am to pay top dollar, I expect something like the A2A Razorback, or the L-39, or the Aerosoft Catalina.
Those are my top models, cheaper and with paintkits. Great support too, both here and on their sites.
Will I get that here? I have no idea....so I'm not buying (yet).
And that hurts, because, as you may know, I like Mustangs...

If you indeed did buy it, and enjoy it, then I'm very happy for you.
Many happy flights, and please share your impressions with us..
who knows, you may even persuade me to buy it?

JorisVandenBerghe
August 27th, 2009, 10:12
To answer my own question, it appears there actually is a version with the Malcolm hood - but one still has to look well for it in the gallery.
And I must say, I was just watching some screenshots on Nick's forum (http://forum.siminsider.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=481) and I was highly impressed.

Henry
August 27th, 2009, 10:13
As a reader of threads and people
i have to agree with Jan on this one
some of us have been here a long while
and we know who's who
but when 2 people who we do not know
it does look suspicions
not accusing anyone here
But i get the point
does anyone have any screen shots?
im not in a position to purchase anything at the moment
but so far i have not even seen a screenie
thats like buying in the dark
H

jankees
August 27th, 2009, 10:19
To answer my own question, it appears there actually is a version with the Malcolm hood - but one still has to look well for it in the gallery.
And I must say, I was just watching some screenshots on Nick's forum (http://forum.siminsider.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=481) and I was highly impressed.

just goes to show how good the info on this one actually is...

Gibbage
August 27th, 2009, 10:23
If you guys have any specific questions, I will do my best to answer.

Ya. Do you think it was worth 75$?

empeck
August 27th, 2009, 10:27
If we continue to moan about developers like Warbirdsim, they will pack up their bags and try something esle.

If we won't 'moan', all devs will set the price around $100. How many planes will you afford?

I am able to pay 50 or 60 dollars for a plane. No problem. But it has to be addon like A2A's 377 with Accusim, Dodosims 206, PMDG tubeliners or VRsimulations SuperBug.

Henry
August 27th, 2009, 10:28
ya. Do you think it was worth 75$?
lol
h

jankees
August 27th, 2009, 10:35
If we continue to moan about developers like Warbirdsim, they will pack up their bags and try something esle. Then the future of our hobby looks pretty bleak. We will have to rely on freeware, which is in some cases excellent.

I'm quite happy with the Auster or Piglet's brilliant J-21, and the Hunters, and the Beaufighter, and I haven't even installed the Mirage yet...
Bleak you say? No, with FS11 out of the picture, the future has never been brighter me thinks...

Henry
August 27th, 2009, 10:38
If we won't 'moan', all devs will set the price around $100. How many planes will you afford?

actually i do not believe either to be true
will devs Quit because we moan about the price: no
we are the customer and its down to what we feel we can afford
for a certain product its our money
and will devs up there prices : no
same reason applies
you can price yourself out of the market
H

Gibbage
August 27th, 2009, 10:40

I am able to pay 50 or 60 dollars for a plane. No problem. But it has to be addon like A2A's 377 with Accusim, Dodosims 206, PMDG tubeliners or VRsimulations SuperBug.

As someone on a development team, I need to watch my words when it comes to other developers threads, but I will honestly say that this thread interest's me greatly. I agree with you 100% in that if your silent about something you dont agree with, then expect more of it. Also, yes. Other developers DO watch these releases and "adjust" there own products based off of feedback.

Simply put, without a negative reaction to what is per-sieved as a high price, others would follow. Its simply hard to justify a single aircraft that cost's more then the flight sim itself.

Henry
August 27th, 2009, 10:50
Personally i would probably pay $100 for a Mossie
as long as it came up to my expectations
and a paint kit
but then no one else would buy it
so no paints
and it would be a waste of the devs time
and wouldnt make anything on it but the $100
that i spent
but dang id make some great screenies:icon_lol:
its business and we are the customers
so the devs need to research what they can get
for there product
are there any millionaires on this forum?
if so pm me:icon_lol:
LOL
H

empeck
August 27th, 2009, 10:52
Its simply hard to justify a single aircraft that cost's more then the flight sim itself.

I would justify high price of an aircraft under one condition. This aircraft addon should transform FSX platform to high end simulation of given plane. I don't buy that much payware planes, because I'm more interested in planes no one will make (they're too niche). That's OK. I have few addons, and my favourite are captain sim C-130 and A2A's 377. I'm going to buy Dodosim's 206 in next few weeks.

FSX with those planes is as much fun as DCS: BlackShark, or Falcon 4. I don't want just to fly a plane. I'd like to learn the plane. If it's just CTRL+E & fly aircraft, it's just not worth more than 20 bucks (in my opinion of course), doesn't matter how beautiful it is.

lawdawg
August 27th, 2009, 11:15
Gibbage..in a word..no.

Gibbage
August 27th, 2009, 11:19
Gibbage..in a word..no.

And that says it all.

Mithrin
August 27th, 2009, 11:34
but when 2 people who we do not know
it does look suspicions
not accusing anyone here
But i get the point
H
Well maybe you know me a wee bit better. In that case you'll have to trust me when I say that Creeps is a valuable resource. He's not a poster but a lurker instead and he's the guy behind throttleback.net. I've flown with him for years and consider him a friend and dedicated hobbyist. So you can happily drop this conspiracy. ;)

And if that's not enough. Personally I don't understand that he payed so much for that plane but at the same time I totally agree with him when he says that this totally depends on how much you want a product. I'm sure he's going to make me green with jealousy the next time I fly the updated A2A bubble with him in a B or C (I love the older mustangs much more than the D. ;) :icon_lol:).

Henry
August 27th, 2009, 11:47
Well maybe you know me a wee bit better. In that case you'll have to trust me when I say that Creeps is a valuable resource. He's not a poster but a lurker instead and he's the guy behind throttleback.net. I've flown with him for years and consider him a friend and dedicated hobbyist. So you can happily drop this conspiracy. ;)

And if that's not enough. Personally I don't understand that he payed so much for that plane but at the same time I totally agree with him when he says that this totally depends on how much you want a product. I'm sure he's going to make me green with jealousy the next time I fly the updated A2A bubble with him in a B or C (I love the older mustangs much more than the D. ;) :icon_lol:).
Thanks!
I love the earlier models also
and creeps ya need to post more
and quit lurking:icon_lol::icon_lol:
LOL
H

bluediamond
August 27th, 2009, 12:50
My two cents.As far as it being worth $75,probably not for the casual simmer.If on the other hand you like very subtle differences amongst several models then just maybe it's worth the $$.I hope in the future they split the package up as this will most likely be in everyones best interest.It's a great all around product.I am a bit disappointed in the gauges.I would have liked to see more 3D.The sounds on the other hand are superb.To me the sound is just as important as the modeling and texturing.I've seen some incredibly detailed aircraft ruined by lame soundsets.No screenshots yet as I've only had time for one short flight and sadly I'm now deceased.The thing is a handful at full realism settings.Also I had no problem finding info (http://www.warbirdsim.com/Store.do?state=ViewProduct&product=11&category=4) about the product.

Michael

ErnstF
August 27th, 2009, 13:12
Okei, I baught it, and my first impression is very good :applause::applause: . The flight dynamics feels spot on ( I have some PPL-experience and backseat-ride in Harvard), and the VC is on par with A2A WW2 Mustang. Much of the same quality and feeligs like the fabulous Classic Hangar FW-190, and this warbird is going to be my first choice for a long time. I`m so far a happy customer and wish them success with this package!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/Fotohatt/mus1.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/Fotohatt/mus4.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/Fotohatt/mus3.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/Fotohatt/mus5.jpg

HenryW
August 27th, 2009, 13:21
Okei, I baught it, and my first impression is very good :applause::applause: . The flight dynamics feels spot on ( I have some PPL-experience and backseat-ride in Harvard), and the VC is on par with A2A WW2 Mustang. Much of the same quality and feeligs like the fabulous Classic Hangar FW-190, and this warbird is going to be my first choice for a long time. I`m so far a happy customer and wish them success with this package!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/Fotohatt/mus1.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/Fotohatt/mus4.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/Fotohatt/mus3.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/Fotohatt/mus5.jpg

Okay, since it comes from you i'll probably buy it IF they provide a paintkit .

Thanks Ernst :wavey:

Scratch
August 27th, 2009, 13:38

Thanks for the screenshots! It looks absolutely gorgeous!! Please post more if you get a chance.

But I still ain't buying it at that price:kilroy:

Rezabrya
August 27th, 2009, 13:52
You guys keep saying that the VC is close in quality to the A2A Mustang, but remember how old the A2A VC is... just saying.

Slug Flyer
August 27th, 2009, 14:06
You guys keep saying that the VC is close in quality to the A2A Mustang, but remember how old the A2A VC is... just saying.

So, the product is almost as good as a...three-year-old?...release that cost less than half as much? :wiggle:

Just saying.

forgeknight
August 27th, 2009, 14:41
Honestly I love it when people make the statement about how "the flight dynamics feel spot on". FSX can not simulate the feel of a real plane, bottom line it is impossible. Gravity and other forces both physical and biological that occur when you fly are not present at your desk. What it can do is simulate systems, such as over heating or failures or knowing when the plane is being pushed beyond its numbers. A2A moves towards that realism with accusim, I no longer want a pretty plane to fly, i want a plane that simulates what it is to manage its real life counterpart. So all the buttons are clickable, are they all functional, is there engine management? If you want to put out a product at such a high price over your competitors that have established reps, then you had better be able to back it up, and you had best be willing to except this kind of heat.

lawdawg
August 27th, 2009, 14:42
The VC is really good IMO Scratch. And in some ways, the "feel" of the plane I like better than the other Mustang. Warbirdsim is supposed to make available "soon" the complete Merlin sound set. I wonder how soon.

SirBenn21
August 27th, 2009, 15:54
The VC is really good IMO Scratch. And in some ways, the "feel" of the plane I like better than the other Mustang. Warbirdsim is supposed to make available "soon" the complete Merlin sound set. I wonder how soon.

I wonder if this will be at an added cost!?! :monkies:

Sorry I could'nt help it. :blind: :pop4::173go1:

Ben

Scratch
August 27th, 2009, 17:09

It looks to be top of the line, ain't no doubt about that:ernae:

Akatsuki
August 27th, 2009, 19:39
As promised some screenshots.
Again i must add that i enjoy flying this plane!
First shot shows the Mustang as it appears in the preview window of FSX... This is due to the protection system, there is a way to see the bird in full but you must click here and there everytime you select a Mustang... For that reason this protection system does not feel right to me... Why as an honest buyer do i have to be penalized in such a way? Some might say it's no big deal but if it goes on like this next time i'll want to fly i'll have to call someone to book some flying hours?:isadizzy:
Anyway... to the screenshots now:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Josquin-d/Jos-100.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Josquin-d/2009-8-28_4-28-36-453.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Josquin-d/2009-8-28_4-29-54-890.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Josquin-d/2009-8-28_4-37-28-437.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Josquin-d/2009-8-28_4-50-12-812.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Josquin-d/2009-8-28_4-52-59-484.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Josquin-d/2009-8-28_4-56-33-125.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Josquin-d/2009-8-28_4-57-1-15.jpg

Slug Flyer
August 27th, 2009, 19:50
$75 and the Tuskegee paint doesn't have an African-American pilot?

Just saying.

ErnstF
August 27th, 2009, 20:56
Okay, since it comes from you i'll probably buy it IF they provide a paintkit .

Thanks Ernst :wavey:<!-- / message -->

Thank YOU HenryW, I tell you more about this fabulous warbird in the norwegian forum :ernae:

You guys keep saying that the VC is close in quality to the A2A Mustang,

I say it`s on par with the A2A WW2 Mustang, and that is a compliment !!

Honestly I love it when people make the statement about how "the flight dynamics feel spot on". FSX can not simulate the feel of a real plane, bottom line it is impossible. Gravity and other forces both physical and biological that occur when you fly are not present at your desk. What it can do is simulate systems, such as over heating or failures or knowing when the plane is being pushed beyond its numbers. A2A moves towards that realism with accusim, I no longer want a pretty plane to fly, i want a plane that simulates what it is to manage its real life counterpart.

I know you can`t simulate the gravity and the physical forces in FSX (which plane are YOU flying???),
but you can do very much to simulate the feelings and stimulate the imagination, and that is what I`m looking for when bying. The WBS have done an incredible good job to give this model the right feeling.

And there are no problem with frames, the flights are smooth as silk :applause: :applause: :applause:

<!-- / message -->

SpaceWeevil
August 28th, 2009, 01:52
Anyone like a quick review? So yes, obviously I bought it - end of the month, all bills paid and a few quid left. Do I have more money than sense? Not any more!

The much-discussed activation worked very smoothly and if you can follow simple instructions you’ll have no problem. I was up and flying within 10 minutes - I’ve waited longer for conventional licence codes to arrive.

The manual is very comprehensive. WBS say it's the text of the actual P51 manual and point out that contains information about some systems that aren't actually modelled due to FSX limitations. Still and all it's a fascinating read and has everything you need to get the best out of the Mustang.

First impressions are very good. The external modelling and detail are exquisite and the bundled textures are superb - in these respects it stands comparison with the very best FSX payware. From the way it sits to the way the landing gear compresses over bumps to the perfect impression of stressed skin, this looks (and sounds) so completely right.

The cockpit is very detailed and nicely functional within the limits of FSX – most of us accept that there has to be some compromise between ‘accuracy’ and what is possible in FSX. It’s very reminiscent of the A2A Mustang 'pit and while I know it’s a similar layout it’s not just that. Make no mistake this VC is very good but the textures and gauges are honestly not quite in the same league as the Classics Hangar FW190s or the Vertigo Studios Hellcat. My opinion, of course.

This P51 is enormous fun to fly but challenging to fly well and is decidedly more tricksy than the A2A P51D. It needs flying all the time with close attention to trim but is generally safe and predictable as long as you watch speed & attitude. It’s easy to overstress this slippery bird in a dive as it accelerates so quickly, and that laminar flow wing stalls as quick as winking at any speed if you’re too rough with the controls. As far as I can tell the performance & handling are spot on, by which I mean (before anyone hoots) that she seems to perform pretty closely to published data. Obviously I’ve never flown anything remotely like this in real life and equally obviously this is a computer game.

Does it have an equivalent to A2A’s Accusim? Well, the systems certainly require close attention to extract the best performance. If you follow the recommendations on MP, RPM, mixture and fuel management she soars, if not she wallows like an old cow. Engine failure does not seem to be modelled - I did my level best to blow her up, screaming around at full throttle with the shutters closed, climbing flat out and even leaving her on the runway idling. The temps got close to but never passed the red line. It seems that the consequences of not managing the systems properly are poor performance and loss of control rather than systems failure.

Leaving aside the price (which has been done to death) I think part of the problem with this Mustang is expectation. I’ve seen it grow from the beginning through Bomber 12th's posts, I’ve listened to all the hype, had a very long wait and now been asked to pay rather more that I was expecting. After all that I was expecting something really extraordinary. The Warbirdsim Mustang for FSX is not extraordinary, but it is very good indeed.

So is it worth the money? I can only decide for me. I do feel a bit silly for spending so much but the answer is yes – just about. Others, particularly the hard-boiled AccuSim men, may not be so easily convinced.

SirBenn21
August 28th, 2009, 02:06
Anyone like a quick review? So yes, obviously I bought it - end of the month, all bills paid and a few quid left. Do I have more money than sense? Not any more!

So is it worth the money? I can only decide for me. I do feel a bit silly for spending so much but the answer is yes – just about. Others, particularly the hard-boiled AccuSim men, may not be so easily convinced.

I'm sure there is no dought in anyones mind that this is a good add-on, but it's not a $75 good add-on. Well maybe for some who have lots of money to burn.
I also think the timing was a little bad with all the new add-ons this month.
I personally would have loved to have got hold of this one, but ...

Your review was good reading though. Thanks

Ben

Henry
August 28th, 2009, 05:23
some great screen shots
thanks
H:applause:

Boomer
August 28th, 2009, 07:01
Thanks Weevil, thats what I wanted to hear. I have been planted firmly on the fence with this one & your post helped me make the decision.

DennyA
August 28th, 2009, 16:14
Just echoing the earlier posts... Complaining about the price goes to show the developer that there are potential sales being lost due to the pricing decision. Without that outcry, low sales might be written off as being because of piracy, choice of plane, etc.

Obviously I want these folks to be rewarded financially for their efforts. But it seems to me that sales in 4-digit ranges at $29.95 would make more money than sales in 3-digit ranges at $75.

gajit
August 28th, 2009, 22:36
After seeing those screenshots I almost bought it but stopped half way though registering as i realised that I would probably have a few other products to buy in the very near future (including A2A Cub) - almost 2 for the price of one.

letsgetrowdy
August 29th, 2009, 03:33
H

I don't think any ones bought it yet......
can't decide if I want it or not, I mean it is a lot of money.... and A2A and justflight are doing some p-51s too....
hard situation of choices....

letsgetrowdy
August 29th, 2009, 11:24
Is there a way of dropping the tanks so that they don't show up in Fs-recorder or multiplayer just saying cos this annoys me on the A2A P-51

peter12213
August 29th, 2009, 11:24
I'm still using the fs2004 model in fsx accel and I can't see any difference at all!!

calypsos
August 29th, 2009, 14:01
I'm still using the fs2004 model in fsx accel and I can't see any difference at all!!

Maybe you have just saved FS9 P-51 owners 75 dollars!:applause::applause::applause:

peter12213
August 29th, 2009, 16:10
I'm glad about that mate because I'm the same, I don't see any difference the fs9 cockpit looks the same, is functional, and it looks great, I'm certainly not shelling out that kind money for something thats only marginally different in my opinion!
Here some pics the prop is the only thing thats different, but from inside the VC it looks fine!

These shots were from in Accel too, I'll let you be the Judges though guys!
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/1498/200911317434703.png
Theres a saying over here... Its money for old rope lol!!
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/111/200921419526609.png

Personally I do think Warbirdsim is a great company who's work is great, but if you already have this aircraft for Fs9 then its not worth getting the fsx one as you can see the only issue is the prop, if you haven't got it already though then do buy the FSX one. This is only my humble opinion though!

Slug Flyer
August 29th, 2009, 16:39
Pretty sure CWDT is a different (now defunct?) company that modeled in the FS9 days.

peter12213
August 29th, 2009, 17:00
My bad, edited!! lol I've got that many I forget who made which ones lol!

Cerberus
August 29th, 2009, 19:24
Maybe you have just saved FS9 P-51 owners 75 dollars!:applause::applause::applause:

Does the FSX version have exterior shadows? I tried to see them in the screenshots but could not tell. If they do then that is always a nice improvement over Fs2004 models.

peter12213
August 29th, 2009, 21:14
Cerberus mate, who cares? Have you got $75 for shadows' or bump maps, I know I havent normally when I see your name on here its for a free giveaway for some repaint or something, if you ain't got this bird then get it its class, but if you've got the fs9 version then its not worth shelling out the cash for this version. I mean I'm all for buying a better version of an fs9 aircraft if it doesn't perform or handle right in FSX but this is an exception, I'd rather save up and buy that meteor when it released or as every WW2 enthusiast want's at the moment that gogeous Lancaster from FCS!!

Stickshaker
August 30th, 2009, 03:52
OK then, here are some first impressions.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Installation: the installer could not find the path to FSX, although it was shown correctly in the installation program window. After contacting Warbirdsim and receiving an answer almost immediately, I installed the files in a temporary directory and then moved them to FSX. No further problems. This issue may be due to my computer configuration.<o:p></o:p>
Activation: no problems.<o:p></o:p>
Cockpit: looks excellent, although I am not a stickler for details. For example, the gauges may be 2D, but from the distance and angle I look at them they look fine to me. Much detail in the cockpit. The ring gunsight can be removed with a click, improving forward vision, which is as I remember from peering through the windshield of the real Princess Elisabeth at Duxford. The side windows can be opened, but that does not change the amount of lateral movement possible with TrackIR 4. This is the very first P-51B/C for the FS series with a VC similar to what I saw at Duxford and in line with photos I have seen. I did not check whether every bolt was in the right place, but in general lay-out the cockpit looks very good. The Malcolm canopy does not have a frontal frame. I don’t know whether this is correct but assume it is.<o:p></o:p>
Taxiing: I could not get the tailwheel steering to work by pulling the stick back. I don’t know whether this feature is included in FSX (didn’t read the manual yet).<o:p></o:p>
Taking off: I had only 14% fuel (with the range of the Mustang this is enough for a few touch & go’s), which made acceleration very brisk. If you give too much power she actually rolls over to the left rather violently, which I think is very realistic but have not experienced in other virtual Mustangs. Increasing the power after lifting the tailwheel pulls the nose downward and increases acceleration considerably. Rudder is very responsive and very well proportioned, without the jerkiness of many FS planes. Directional stability is greater than I would expect from a plane without the dorsal fin of later –B’s.<o:p></o:p>
Flight: in line with other FS Mustangs, but a bit more sensitive, really like a racehorse. Stick-rudder harmonization is very pleasant. I did not check whether she flies by the numbers, but the general impression in climb and turn is what I would expect. I think the real plane needs a bit more trim change when moving the throttle. There is relatively little warning of stalls, but the wing buffet should be enough warning in normal flight (perhaps not when landing). But I can imagine that in the stress of combat the buffet is easily overlooked. Spins usually stop after half a turn, as is correct I think. Recovering is thus not difficult, but I did not yet try high G accelerated stalls. Incipient spins are similar to normal ones.<o:p></o:p>
Approach: Speed, rate of descent and angle of attack seem to be correct from what I read in flight reports. Visibility over the nose is sufficient, partly thanks to the relative high (but not unrealistic) eyepoint. It is easy to keep the nose in the right direction with the rudder during small power adjustments.<o:p></o:p>
Landing: A three point landing is as I would expect. It is not difficult to avoid a stall, despite the laminar wing. Point of criticism: when making a wheel landing (often done during WWII) it is almost impossible to avoid bouncing, as in many FS planes, in my experience. Directional stability is again greater than I would expect.<o:p></o:p>
Exterior: Looks very good to me, with lots of detail and a nice shine.<o:p></o:p>
All in all, en excellent plane, without major weaknesses and also without major innovations compared to other FS aircraft. I refuse to go into the question whether it is worth the money for two reasons:<o:p></o:p>
1: It is purely a matter of personal taste. I can imagine that, if you already have the excellent A2A Mustang or like the Accusim features of the A2A P-47 and want to wait for their new P-51D, you won’t buy the Warbirdsim plane. On the other hand, if you want not just any Mustang but the P-51B, with a cockpit considerably different from that of the P-51D, there is no alternative for the Warbirdsim plane. Whether some features are or are not better than those of other Mustangs is open to debate, that it is different is true for sure. I am a fan of the razorback Mustang and am glad I bought it.<o:p></o:p>
2: It is impossible to judge for me whether the price is right for what you get. That the price differs from what we are used to need not imply that it is not ‘right’. Perhaps the plane contains so much detail, only visible if you look much closer than I did, and hence took so much development work, that the price reflects this. Perhaps the market for the P-51B is so much smaller than for the P-51D that a higher price is needed, just like books for small markets are sometimes more expensive than those for large markets. Perhaps the development process was not efficient and cost more effort than necessary. That is not for me to judge; I can only say that the result is worth it for me, but many may decide otherwise. Perhaps the people at Warbirdsim want to retire to the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>Bahamas</st1:place></st1:country-region> with the money they make on this project. That is perfectly OK with me; why should sim plane developers make less money than other entrepreneurs or, for example, bankers? Of course, no one is under any obligation to support their ambition (while with bankers you are at their mercy once you’ve signed for that mortgage that you didn’t see the consequences of), but it seems a perfectly legitimate ambition to me. All in all, I have no judgment about the ’fairness’ of the price of this plane.<o:p></o:p>
And now I’m off to fly some more above occupied <st1:place>Europe</st1:place>. My only regret is that I have no guns. But that means that the opposition has no guns either…<o:p></o:p>

Stickshaker
August 30th, 2009, 03:54
Cerberus mate, who cares?
Obviously, Ceberius does.

gajit
August 30th, 2009, 04:29
Wow - 2d gauges?! I would have been really hacked off if I had found that out

gomslork
August 30th, 2009, 06:10
Not really thinking about the price, I ordered this 2 days ago, but warbirdsim has not yet managed to give me the link to the download. How long is that suppose to take? Whats the rests experience with this company?
Peronally, I'm very disapointed. Would think for that price they would behave a bit more professional and deliver it instantly like the rest of the addon developers.

SpaceWeevil
August 30th, 2009, 09:02
Not really thinking about the price, I ordered this 2 days ago, but warbirdsim has not yet managed to give me the link to the download. How long is that suppose to take? Whats the rests experience with this company?
Peronally, I'm very disapointed. Would think for that price they would behave a bit more professional and deliver it instantly like the rest of the addon developers.

Did you check with their support? Very quick turnaround (minutes) here.

jankees
August 30th, 2009, 12:42
But no paintkit I fear....

unless you can use the FS9 version??

ErnstF
September 1st, 2009, 12:44
Taxiing: I could not get the tailwheel steering to work by pulling the stick back. I don’t know whether this feature is included in FSX (didn’t read the manual yet).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

You must push the stick forward to unlock the tailwheel :wavey:

tigisfat
September 1st, 2009, 23:56
Warbirdsim has a really cool and well put together website. :icon29:

Bomber_12th
September 2nd, 2009, 09:37
Thank you everyone for sharing your views of the product. Hopefully it shows well Warbirdsim's commitment to the P-51B/C series in getting it right. Note that besides just the fuselage, the wing is different to that of the D model, the landing gear is especially different, and the nose, over the top, features the distinctive 'hump' that was no longer present when the D model was developed. Other details that you can notice that are different to the D, is that the elevators are fabric covered, instead of aluminum, the gun access door shapes are strictly accurate to the B/C, and careful attention was made to getting every other panel line and rivet in their exact spots.

Between having the FS2004 and FSX designed aircraft within FSX, there is a distinct difference. While the FS2004 release employed graphics to make it look as realistic as possible in that sim, these were greatly adjusted to hopefully make the FSX version even more photoreal than before. The canopy framework throughout the cockpit was completely rebuilt, and new details, missing from the FS2004 release, were added. Besides this, the flight dynamics were tuned specifically for FSX, as was the sound, and like Warbirdsim's next, upcoming product, it has been held with high esteem by acquaintances of mine in the world of warbird restoration and operation.

Here are a few screenshots that I took throughout development that hope are some fun to look at...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Ina13.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Ina21.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Ina6.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Prin10.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Prin18.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/OldCrow1-1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Shangri-La4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/RAF10.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/RAF2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Prin23.jpg

ErnstF
September 2nd, 2009, 11:04
Thank You Bomber, the Mustang is a wonderful aircraft and flight dynamics feels very good :ernae:. But I think perhaps the effects of the rudder are a little weak?? She is difficult to sideglide in crosswind landings.

alehead
September 3rd, 2009, 04:00
Of course it is a wonderful looking package, as it is in FS9. I still fire up FS9 to punch holes in the sky with the P-51B and C from time to time. I was looking forward to the release of the FSX version, but am a little surprised to see no reduction in price for the owners of the FS9 version. OK, so this is nothing new (PMDG MD-11)...
I'll be giving this a miss in FSX. There are a couple of great warbirds in FSX now, and I don't really need the Mustang so badly as to shell out €50+ for it, when I could pick up the Catalina by Aerosoft almost twice for the same cash...
I think the policy of charging for repaints is one of the biggest marketing mistakes of all time in the FS world, particularly if you attempt to restrict some of the most talented repainters out there by not supplying a kit or attempting to force them per EULA or similar not to upload any repaints they make, with a paint kit they create themselves... interesting copyright issue there...

I would be interested to know from someone with legal experience as to whether this restriction of self-made artwork with a self-made paint kit is actually within the law...

It is almost like a photographer banning others from taking any photo of a P-51 from a specific angle, "because I have already taken the picture"...

Andrew

SpaceWeevil
September 3rd, 2009, 05:12
Interesting point about the (lack of) a paintkit and selling repaints. Icarus did that with his Gladiator - granted that was at the other end of the market but it still seemed .... mean? Cheeky? I'm not not sure, but I expect we'll see more of it as devs struggle to cope with rising costs and falling revenues by squeezing every last penny out of each release. I'm sure the ones that do this weigh up what they might gain in $£ against the inevitable loss of goodwill and possibly some sales.

Do we know for sure that there's not doing to be a paintkit for the FSX WBS Mustang? There was talk of selling repaints for the FS9 version but I understand WBS relented. Of course it's kind of academic if Jankees doesn't buy it - maybe we should have a whip round for him? :icon_lol:

DaveQ
September 3rd, 2009, 06:20
As far as I was aware the issue of publishing free repaints was resolved at least for the FS9 version and a few have been put out on SOH. I'd like to know if the FS9 repaint kit will fit the FSX version because my hobby is based on painting as much as flying so, like others, I can't justify another £45 for the FSX version right now especially without a paint kit. Neverless it's clearly a masterpiece by any standards IHMO.

Best of luck to all involved

DaveQ

jankees
September 3rd, 2009, 09:58
Interesting point about the (lack of) a paintkit and selling repaints. Icarus did that with his Gladiator - granted that was at the other end of the market but it still seemed .... mean? Cheeky? I'm not not sure, but I expect we'll see more of it as devs struggle to cope with rising costs and falling revenues by squeezing every last penny out of each release. I'm sure the ones that do this weigh up what they might gain in $£ against the inevitable loss of goodwill and possibly some sales.

Do we know for sure that there's not doing to be a paintkit for the FSX WBS Mustang? There was talk of selling repaints for the FS9 version but I understand WBS relented. Of course it's kind of academic if Jankees doesn't buy it - maybe we should have a whip round for him? :icon_lol:

Don't worry about me, I haven't bought it yet. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.
A paintkit would indeed make me buy it, but I fear it is not to be...
The original warbirdplan for FS9 was to sell repaints, and not allow others to paint it, but in the end they changed their mind. Maybe that will happen here too. We'll see.

As for Icarus, he sold repaints himself, but he did allow repaints by others, he even posted a few of mine on his website, so if Albert doesn't allow repaints, there's a difference there.

jankees
September 4th, 2009, 04:04
OH NO! What did I do....

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/ab596.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/ab594.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/ab593.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/ab592.jpg

gajit
September 4th, 2009, 04:35
LOL - nice.

SpaceWeevil
September 4th, 2009, 04:44
Glad to see that the list of fellow suckers sufferers victims idiots puchasers is slowly growing. I was always going to buy this, regardless of what I might have posted, but may I ask what changed your mind? And WBS, now J is on board, where IS that paintkit?!

gajit
September 4th, 2009, 04:53
Im still resisting having already spent £140 over the last 3 weeks on FSX products!!

jankees
September 4th, 2009, 05:00
Glad to see that the list of fellow suckers sufferers victims idiots puchasers is slowly growing. I was always going to buy this, regardless of what I might have posted, but may I ask what changed your mind? And WBS, now J is on board, where IS that paintkit?!

curiosity got the better of me....oh, and I wanted to reward John for all he did for us
but your first line does describe a bit how I feel now

OK, here's a quick one, just for fun:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a619.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a615.jpg

Panther_99FS
September 4th, 2009, 09:28
Johnny_T,
Just an incredible job that you've done here....:guinness:

jankees
September 5th, 2009, 01:45
where IS that paintkit?!

who needs a paintkit anyway?

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a686.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a695.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a703.jpg

so, I have been flying around for a while, what do I think? A few observations:

Well, it is a very nice, good looking model that seems to fly right, and sounds nice too. It is clear that a lot of TLC has gone in to it, well done John! I will enjoy flying it!

However, with a price like this, you expect the best...

...which it isn't.
Strangely enough, my biggest disappointment was with the textures. They used 1024x1024 textures, and as a result,
none of the stencilling on the outside of the aircraft is readable, look at the stencils on the wings for example:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a702.jpg

using 2048 textures would have solved this and resulted in a better look. Maybe later in an upgrade?

The bare metal exterior also suffers from what I call the 'orange peel' look, I believe this is due to baked reflections in the model?
The Hellcat has the same. It looks great from some angles (see the shots above), but not so great from other angles (see below).
I think I prefer spec files for reflective textures, which this pony does not use. The camouflaged ones look better.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a634.jpg

Talking of an upgrade, I'm sure 'emergency' is the correct spelling, not 'emergancy':

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a631.jpg

Other things I'm missing is sounds with the switches in the cockpit, and an engine that need looking after, like on the Catalina, B377 and Razorback.
Funny, I never thought I'd say that after blowing up my engines on the Cat and Jug at least 20 times, but I do, I miss it here.
It makes it feel a bit...boring...being in the cockpit. Lots of dials that you can ignore...
They do look a bit flat too, not the 'oh wow' of the CH FW190.

Not being able to see the exterior in the selection menu is annoying too, but apparently necessary for security reasons.

So in all, a very nice model, and I'm very happy having a Mustang razorback, but is far from being the top product the price suggests.
There are other warbirds out there which offer far more for less money.
Well, I think so anyway.

Now it is back to China in old '187'

SpaceWeevil
September 5th, 2009, 02:56
I've deleted what I just posted - decided to give Albert & John a break, they know what I think!

jankees
September 5th, 2009, 23:35
I did some additional tinkering on Lucifer and Little Jeep:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a755.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a757.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a753.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a717.jpg

I hope you like them, OK to post Albert?

I'll wait for a paintkit before doing more paints.

jankees
September 9th, 2009, 01:02
paintkit?:bump:

SpaceWeevil
September 9th, 2009, 09:38
Have you tried support@warbirdsim.com? I've had very quick replies to all my queries - it's not always been what I wanted to hear, but props for the speed at least.

DaveQ
September 10th, 2009, 00:03
paintkit?:bump:

On the FS9 thread you say that the textures are the same except for the .dds format so we can use the FS9 paintkit, right?? Currently not got the funds for this and I prefer the -D model anyway. The free A2A FSX upgrade with 2048 x 2048 .dds textures will keep me happy forever!

DaveQ

jankees
September 10th, 2009, 03:08
On the FS9 thread you say that the textures are the same except for the .dds format so we can use the FS9 paintkit, right??

yes, if you have that paintkit...which I don't

gajit
September 16th, 2009, 09:03
Thanks to Jankees great work I decided to "invest" in the product but have to say i agree with everyone who moaned about the system.

I have never had to work so hard to spend £50 - in fact gave up serveral times. Now they have my money and after 24 hours am still not able to fly the bleeping thing.

Perhaps i will be more excited about buying something from them in the future once i get strapped in.

heydon2008
September 19th, 2009, 01:55
I have ordered the boxed version of Warbirdsims P51 Mustang and i live in th united kingdom, does anyone know how long warbirdsim take to post the p51 too you?
dont worry i'm not about to slag warbirdsim off as i think they have done a terrific job just having trouble in trcking my order and have sent countless e-mails to them with no reply

jankees
September 19th, 2009, 02:19
I'm sorry I pushed you over the edge, Gajit. Sad to hear that you still can't use it after spending all that money.
Aftersales are not the strongest point of WBS I'm sorry to say.
Sad really, I really wanted to be happy with the model, and do lots of repaints, but both the company, the price, the service, the paintkit and the model are disappointing.

I've also had a look at the paintkit, which is just a blank texture, not really a paintkit, and decided to put it on the backburner for now...so do not expect too many repaints from me either.
What's so strange, is that John's paintkit for the A2A Mustang is much better than this one, and readily available. That Mustang is about the same, quality wise, and costs just a fraction too.

heydon2008
September 19th, 2009, 10:11
do you know how long warbirdsim take to post their p51

heydon2008
September 19th, 2009, 10:44
Hi there i also "took the plunge" which seems the popular phrase to use about this model, but am still waiting to know whether warbirdsim have posted my boxed version of this aircraft, i purchased the boxed version because i am one of those old fashoned gamers who likes the tangible version of a computer manual and have it open and read it while i fly.
But the lack of communication from warbirdsim means they may know alot about building and designing FSX addons, but have alot to learn about customer service.

gajit
September 19th, 2009, 14:22
Ive not had any confirmation for 4 days re my download activation - they dont seem to have taken my money so i might be lucky

Akatsuki
September 19th, 2009, 16:32
I upgraded my computer ( motherboard, cpu, RAM ) so i reinstalled the whole thing, mailed WBS for an activation, got replied that i needed a good reason to get the plane activated again, told them i upgraded the computer... Received the activation code with the mail header: "second and last activation"!
How cool is that?:pop4:

heydon2008
September 20th, 2009, 01:17
Thiats just it they have taken my money and said that they were waiting for more printed materials and would post early this week, wince then i have heard nothing from them and that was on the 9th september 2009
Ive not had any confirmation for 4 days re my download activation - they dont seem to have taken my money so i might be lucky

gajit
September 20th, 2009, 13:30
I upgraded my computer ( motherboard, cpu, RAM ) so i reinstalled the whole thing, mailed WBS for an activation, got replied that i needed a good reason to get the plane activated again, told them i upgraded the computer... Received the activation code with the mail header: "second and last activation"!
How cool is that?:pop4:

that is disgraceful. Your lucky you even have had a reply from them. I've sent 3 requests for help as I have had no activation code sent to me but no one cares.

empeck
September 20th, 2009, 13:41
You guys are joking right?

One of the most expensive FSX addons, and LIMITED amount of activations?

PRB
September 20th, 2009, 13:48
You guys are joking right?

One of the most expensive FSX addons, and LIMITED amount of activations?

That's my question as well. Had I been told that my second activation was my LAST one, I'd be asking for an explanation. Is this true? Only two activations? After you've paid, what, 75.00 for it? What could possibly be the reason for such a policy? It makes no sense.

SirBenn21
September 20th, 2009, 14:29
You I just get :mad::angryfir::censored::violent: when I hear stuff like this. And from what I hear from you guys I will NEVER support Warbirdsim!

Warbirdsim has just been added to my Cappy Company List.

Sorry for my outburst. And I haven't even bought from them. Thanks for the HU. Shame on them.

Ben

PRB
September 20th, 2009, 15:14
Well, I'm willing to entertain the possibility that "only two activations" is a misunderstanding. That's why I would ask for clarification, because it doesn't make sense to me why this would be the actual policy. And if it isn't the actual policy, such a misunderstanding could lead to bad feelings and lost sales, which would be unfair to the Warbird Sim people. So I'm just wondering if it's true, and if it is, what is the reason?

SpaceWeevil
September 20th, 2009, 16:05
Unlimited activations = pirates' charter, but two seems a bit tight. I don't suppose Warbirdsim are frequent visitors here any more so I've asked them to clarify the number of activations they will support.

This all begs the question of how many reinstalls do people actually need? RealAir allow five before they get suspicious, which seems about right to me. Modern HDs are pretty reliable, we all have backups (??), reinstalling FSX every other week has gone out of fashion, and I don't know about you but I won't be upgrading for at least another year - and that will be it for the foreseeable future. Just a few late night thoughts.

Akatsuki
September 20th, 2009, 16:30
Well, maybe they meant activations only on 2 different computers, maybe if/when i have to reinstall on the same machine they won't be suspicious... I don't know.
They should be more clear about their activations policy.
I have no reason to lie, and i am not on a crusade against WBS i just report facts.
Anyway, i will remain silent on the WBS subject from now on...

empeck
September 20th, 2009, 20:49
I play one game that require activation - it's DCS:Black Shark. It has limited amount of activations too, but there is a tool that allows to deactivate game before uninstalling. If you somehow run out of activations it is possible to send an email to support, and they'll give another activations without being suspicious. That's a good customer service.

SpaceWeevil - I see it differently - limited activations = more chances to pirate a software. If I pay for a product I'd like to use it whenever I want, without explaining why I want to play with product I've bought. Right now it seems that WBS treats they loyal customers as thiefs. Hopefully I'm wrong, but they've lost me on Mustang because of its price, now I won't buy their next products because of their policy.

huub vink
September 21st, 2009, 07:11
When I saw the price of this package and the way this thread declined, I stopped reading this thread. However last night when I couldn't catch sleep I went through it from the first post to the last. When I finished reading I felt really sorry for John Terrell, who is in my opinion one of the biggest talents in this hobby. And beside that a great person, who has given an awful lot to this hobby. The Warbirdsim P-51 was his baby and when you look at the model and textures I think he definitely used all his skills to create the best product he could. Therefore I think it is more than sad that only a few will enjoy this beautiful model, because of its steep price.

I have always struggled with the question what you should consider a reasonable price for an add-on. I come from a world where a lot of dedicated software is used. Therefore I accept the fact that professional programming is very expensive. As I have been involved in the development of several payware and freeware models I realise creating a model is a time consuming business. As the market is limited, costs have to be paid by a relatively small group of buyers. Therefore when you want to cover (labour)cost and perhaps even want to have a small profit a developer should perhaps ask the sort of money Warbirdsim is currently asking. I realise my comparison isn't completely correct, when I need software at work, it is a professional requirement for which I have to pay. For me Flightsim is "just" a hobby therefore I have the choice whether I want to pay or not.

On the other hand when I see what most developers can still offer for a price below $30, I think the price of the Warbirdsim Mustang is way over the top. When I look at A2A which is in my humble opinion market leader based on the number of sales. The A2A P-47 (without Accusim) is still less than $30 and so is the A2A P-40. All reworked WW2 Fighters cost even less than $20, while the complete package including 5 different aircrafts doesn't even cost $30. Other developers like Alphasim seem to use the $30 ceiling as well as the latest model, the Yak-52, remains under the $30. Not one of the products offered by Sky-unlimited exceeds $30. The Realair Spitfire costs less than 30 Euros and there was a reduction for the owners of the FS9 version. Although the FSX version even came with a totally new Mk.IX version! And last in my list, but definitely not least the complete Classics Hangar FW190 package, with in my personal opinion a new standard setting VC, is even below 30 Euros! Again these prices seem the ceiling for what is considered reasonable from the customers side and are perhaps not really reasonable, taken the actual time or efforts into account.

But I'm convinced that when you don't offer a product for the price your customers are willing to pay, you won't sell this product. To explain; I won't sell an ordinary 4 doors sedan for the price of a Ferrari, even when its in my opinion the best 4 door sedan! Therefore when the Warbirdsim P51 would have been priced at $37.50 or even better below the threshold of $30, I'm convinced they would sell at least more than 2 or 3 times as many copies.
I still remember the fS2004 P-40 by Bruce Thorson, he made a very nice free model and asked only $5 for an update and support. As the model was hardly flyable without the update, I guess all downloaders of the free product paid for the update in the end. As it was "Only" $5, nobody bothered, but in the end I'm convinced Bruce made much more money than Warbirdsim will ever make for the FSX P51.

Reading all the comments about the FSX version in this thread, I get the feeling the updates implemented in the FSX version of the FS9 Warbirdsim P51 are far less sophisticated than the free updates given by A2A on the WWII Fighter package. Therefore I personally consider it very bad business not to make a gesture to the customers who have bought the FS9 version. And next to that I have serious thoughts about the price. Based on not more than my opinion; the model is most likely not much more than an FSX upgrade of a model which already existed in FS9. I realise there has been quite some extra work to get the existing model FSX genuine, But as all of the research was already done for the FS9 model and base model already existed, you could even wonder whether it is really reasonable to ask more for the FSX version than for the FS9 version.

Again I feel most sorry for John, his model deserves a better faith than being just beautiful in the showcase on the slick web pages from Warbirdsim!

Apart from just a few facts, all above reflects just my personal opinion and nothing more....

Huub

Odie
September 21st, 2009, 07:22
Well stated, huub !

SpaceWeevil
September 21st, 2009, 07:53
I hope you got to sleep by the end Huub. I think (I hope) it's clear that nearly all the flak was aimed at Warbirdsim. Looked at as a solo effort (which it pretty much is) the Mustang is a splendid looking and flying model but - hard truth - not quite up there with the best. If the marketing and pricing had reflected that there would have been far fewer critical comparisons with other developers. I'm sure John will bounce back - his latest project looks stunning.

gajit
September 21st, 2009, 08:02
Im still waiting after a week for a reply from them re no activiation even though they have my money - just plain rude not to respond to a request for help. Yes - i have emailed a few times with the info they need but still no reply. £44 down and still cant fly it.

Scratch
September 21st, 2009, 08:59
I agree 100% Huub, I hope John can associate with more reputable folks for his next project and just chalk this up as a learning experience.

jankees
September 21st, 2009, 09:17
I agree with you completely, Huub.
I feel really bad about this, especially for John. He has given us so much, and nearly all for free too!
This aircraft started as a labor of love, with lots of regular updates, and it was fun to see it development, and John's passion for the aircraft.
Then came the involvement of warbirdsim, and all info dried up...
until the FS9 release, which was a bit of a shock, price-wise, and with the initial reluctance with releasing a paintkit. We had to beg for some info, John was not allowed to comment, but in the end a paintkit was released. I felt that this was a strange business policy, but who am I?
I had just stopped using FS9, so for that price I didn't buy it, deciding to wait for the FSX version...which arrived muchmuch later. Again, a hefty price, no paintkit, and little info in general.
In the end I gave in, partly out of curiosity, partly for John. I sure hope he is making some money out of this!
John, the model is very nice, and worthy of lots of repaints (with higher resolution textures I'd like to add).
It is not worth the money that is being asked for it in my humble opinion, but it certainly deserves a lot better than the company that is selling it at the moment.
I can only hope that your present project will become available through different channels.
As for repaints, I have no plans of doing any myself for the moment, I still feel bad about Gajit...

and now I'll keep shut about the whole sad affair..

gajit
September 21st, 2009, 09:27
Update

I have now had my activation with a general apology from them saying they had issues with their software.

Its a shame that they did not bother to tell me 7 days ago or post something on their website but now I have the full product it is quite impressive - worth the wait - perhaps not quite worth £44 but i hope to fly the arse of it!!

Thank you Warbirdsim for the apology and I wish you well on your next venture :ernae:

Bomber_12th
September 21st, 2009, 09:36
Thank you Huub, and to the others for the kind sentiments! My time with developing payware is done, and has been for about a month now...this project was one of my first ever attempts at completely modeling and texturing an aircraft on my own, and I have learned a great amount of what to do and what not to do from it - which I hope you will easily see in future developments - and I have also become less naive to who I can and can't trust within this community, and that doesn't go for my great friendship I have had with Albert throughout my time with the company. I have greatly appreciated all of the compliments I have gotten on the aircraft, on and mostly off of this board - frankly I have gained absolutely nothing from the release of the product, except for those generous regards to the aircraft itself.

I have been branching out on my own, and will continue to do so, with new projects as time permits, released under much different guidelines as I have talked about in my PT-22 thread.

stiz
September 21st, 2009, 09:49
you saying you didnt earn a thing on this John?? :frown:

gajit
September 21st, 2009, 10:51
If thats the case John I promise to buy the first aircraft you produce on your own as a thank you for your work on this one - and that is sincere.

heydon2008
September 21st, 2009, 11:01
I HAVE HEARD FROM WARBIRDSIM AND THEY HAVE APPOLOGISED , AND SAID I SHOULD GET THE PACKAGE BY WEDNESDAY THIS WEEK, HOWEVER THE ACTIVATION WILL BE SENT SEPERATLY , PRESUMABLY BY E-MAIL, WHICH GIVEN GAJIT'S EXPRIENCE I SHALL WAIT ALONG TIME FOR THAT AS WELL, THOUGHT IT WAS STANDARD PROCEDURE TO HAVE ACTIVTION WITH THE BOX THOUGH, HMMMMM.
AS FOR BOMBER_12 YOU HAVE CREATED SOMWTHING THAT YOU CAN BE PROUD OF AND THAT PEOPLE WILL USE FOR A LONG TIME TOO COME, I'M JUST SORRY FOR YOUR SAKE THAT YOU HAD TO HAVE A STEAP LEARNING CURVE, AND I HOPE YOUR EXPRIENCE HASN'T LEFT A TOO BAD TASTE IN THE MOUTH. i HOPE IF YOU DO DECIDE TO GO TO A DEVELOPER LIKE WARBIRDSIM YOU GET A GOOD LAWYER SO THEY CAN TALK OWNERSHIP OF MATERIAL AND COPYRIGHT AND SO FOURTH. bEST WISHES FOR YOUR NEW VENTURE:icon_lol:

gajit
September 21st, 2009, 12:04
Hi Heydon

With luck they have sorted their activation problem - I hope you dont have the long wait.

I think that the product is actually good - the process is bleeping painful.

SpaceWeevil
September 21st, 2009, 14:54
Regarding the number of activations, here's a snippet from quite a long reply I got from WBS today..

"We will look at all reasonable requests for activations .......If people are fair and reasonable then we will support them all the way in their PC use."

Sounds fair enough.

heydon2008
September 24th, 2009, 01:23
Just want to know if anyone has ordered the boxed version, because i am being told by warbirdsim sim that they will send me activation by e-mail, normally the standard procedure is that the cd key is in the box, it just seems unusual to me thats all

heydon2008
September 29th, 2009, 10:59
Have had my product activation text in an e-mail from warbirdsim and have followed the instructions as it states but i still see a partial mustang in fsx.
Please can anyone help

jankees
September 29th, 2009, 11:04
It doesn't show in the flight selection window, if that is what you mean?
If it doesn't show in the game, maybe a reboot?

SpaceWeevil
September 29th, 2009, 11:18
Did you paste all the text in the activation mail including the body start / body end tags? She always appears skeletal in the preview screen unless you go to another aircraft and then reselect the Mustang.

heydon2008
September 29th, 2009, 23:02
I have cut And pasted the activation text sent to me in email but mustang shows up skeletal in fsx as well as in preview

Stickshaker
September 30th, 2009, 08:23
I think that is normal and explained in the installing instructions. Does the plane fly correctly?

heydon2008
October 1st, 2009, 01:11
Yes plane flys correctly , however some of the features in virtual cockpit do not work, i do not know how to get round this problem, aprt from e-mailing warbirdsim support,(but like the actviation request its taking its time) i foolowed the instruction on how to get the preview in fsx correctly and that doesn't work either.
I do not know how to get round this problem, so as i purchased the more expensive boxed version i am a little p:{}ed Off (pi@Off).

heydon2008
October 2nd, 2009, 10:30
I am out of ideas how to get my plane to work, could somebody help me please?
like i said before copied and pasted text to activate p51 but i get a partial plane showing both in preview and in fsx.
it doesnt state on box whther warbirdsim p51 works with acceleration which is what i am using.

jankees
October 2nd, 2009, 10:54
Maybe John (Bomber_12th) Terrell can help you, he's been around here, you could try and send him a pm?

DaveQ
October 2nd, 2009, 11:13
Is it only the Warbirdsim bird that is giving this problem? I had some trouble with Boris Vorontsov's Enbseries contrast enhancement software, especially the beta gta4_v0076 version, giving transparent textures in FSX with the FS9 P-51B and others so I dumped it. I have an Nvidia GTS 250 1GBRam video card, probably not compatible with this software (gta3_v0075 OK with FS9 but not FSX).

Just a thought:kilroy:

DaveQ

SpaceWeevil
October 3rd, 2009, 02:18
Yes plane flys correctly , however some of the features in virtual cockpit do not work, i do not know how to get round this problem, aprt from e-mailing warbirdsim support,(but like the actviation request its taking its time) i foolowed the instruction on how to get the preview in fsx correctly and that doesn't work either.
I do not know how to get round this problem, so as i purchased the more expensive boxed version i am a little p:{}ed Off.

Don't blame you being p****d off. If it's displaying like that in-game then I'm pretty sure it's an activation issue. Warbirdsim (support@warbirdsim.com) have answered all my e-mails very quickly - did you remember to include your order number (or PayPal reference) in the subject line? Once it is activated, you can get it to display in the preview by clicking on the 'Change Location' button. You don't have to change airfields - just OK it and there she is. Good luck getting going.

heydon2008
October 3rd, 2009, 03:06
thankyou for your help p51 and by telling me it was a activation issue because i recently bought a ASUS AH4650 1GB DDR2 RAM AGP grphics card and was hoping that the drivers for it were not the cause, especially considering ASUS' drivers come up with not a windows xp certified message comes up when i installed them.
thanks again

heydon2008
October 3rd, 2009, 07:13
Thanks spaceweevil for your suggestions, i did put my order id in activation request, but what i may have done wrong was to have my e-mail account (the one i registered with warbirdsim) to forward incoming mail, and one of them was the activation e-mail.
I have done what they suggest in fsx change location etc , but it does not work.

Don't blame you being p****d off. If it's displaying like that in-game then I'm pretty sure it's an activation issue. Warbirdsim (support@warbirdsim.com) have answered all my e-mails very quickly - did you remember to include your order number (or PayPal reference) in the subject line? Once it is activated, you can get it to display in the preview by clicking on the 'Change Location' button. You don't have to change airfields - just OK it and there she is. Good luck getting going.

SpaceWeevil
October 3rd, 2009, 07:51
Hi there,
It's obviously not activated properly so I'd get back to support@warbirdsim.com ASAP. The 'change location' trick does work in the preview screen, but only after activation. It's a bit of a pain, all to do with the security. It's great to fly, you will enjoy it once you get up & running.

heydon2008
October 4th, 2009, 02:29
I have e-mailed support about this and they were being a bit funny about this saying that "its working for everyone else" and such like, which gets me concerned that a) they might be acusing me of being a software pirate
B) is there something drasticaally wrong wrong with the hardware i just bought. Also my Asus graphics card drivers come up that they are not windows xp certified and that windows reccomends that i do not install them, so i go to the AMD/ATI website and download drivers, and the drivers do not recognise the graphics card as ATI hardware, but the graphics card works!!

Hi there,
It's obviously not activated properly so I'd get back to support@warbirdsim.com ASAP. The 'change location' trick does work in the preview screen, but only after activation. It's a bit of a pain, all to do with the security. It's great to fly, you will enjoy it once you get up & running.

SpaceWeevil
October 4th, 2009, 09:19
WHQL drivers are not essential and many people don't use them, me included. It does sound like you have a slightly scrambled driver installation, so I suggest you completely uninstall all your old video drivers from the control panel (if you haven't already) in case there's a conflict. Then reboot and install the ones on the CD that came with your card. That should get you going well enough for now.

Then, nag the **** out of Warbirdsim because, if I had a reputation, I'd still stake it on this being a failed activation!

heydon2008
October 5th, 2009, 11:57
Thanks spaceweevil for your help, don't worry i will nag warbirdsim, i dont pay £54.95 for something and give up with it.

WHQL drivers are not essential and many people don't use them, me included. It does sound like you have a slightly scrambled driver installation, so I suggest you completely uninstall all your old video drivers from the control panel (if you haven't already) in case there's a conflict. Then reboot and install the ones on the CD that came with your card. That should get you going well enough for now.

Then, nag the **** out of Warbirdsim because, if I had a reputation, I'd still stake it on this being a failed activation!

heydon2008
October 8th, 2009, 00:22
i have e-mailed warbirdsim about my activation problems they are now saying it looks like i am using a different computer

jankees
October 9th, 2009, 04:24
i have e-mailed warbirdsim about my activation problems they are now saying it looks like i am using a different computer

sigh....tell you what, should you ever succeed in getting it to work, I'll do a repaint especially for you, OK?

something like this perhaps?

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a1933.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a1939.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a1942.jpg

jankees
October 9th, 2009, 04:59
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a1956.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a1960.jpg

jankees
October 9th, 2009, 07:55
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a1963.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a1968.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a1969.jpg

big-mike
October 9th, 2009, 08:50
I also couldn`t resist and have the same problems----activation fails.
The best is,in the mail i`ve got,there is no orderID.
Really cannot understand,why such an highpriced Addon causes such a trouble.
Perhaps you find it on an torrent site and the complicated activation procedure was for nothing
I´m highly p......off
Michael

SpaceWeevil
October 9th, 2009, 11:05
Michael, if you used PayPal you won't have an order number as such but you will have a PayPal transaction reference - just use that in the e-mail header. Good luck, I'm feeling a bit guilty that mine was up & flying inside 10 minutes.

jankees
October 9th, 2009, 11:24
I'm feeling a bit guilty too, posting all those repaints.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a1981.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a1988.jpg

I'll quit now, and I won't upload until everybody can fly the d**n thing

heydon2008
October 9th, 2009, 11:44
Jankees that is a very kind offer i would appreciate that, sorry to sound like i am winging its just so frustrating paying £54.95 for something and not being able to use it properly.
I have just been reading about the Tuskagee Airman so any paint scheme like that would be cool.
"straighten up and fly right"

heydon2008
October 9th, 2009, 11:48
The only people that should feel guilty is the pirates forcing warbirdsim to take drastic action .

heydon2008
October 9th, 2009, 11:51
I would like to take this oppurtunity and thanking everyone for listening to my problem, which yes is still on going, i have written warbirdsim god knows how many e-mails since the 5th october and might have to put in a claim for repetative strain injury!!
THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!

Gizmo
October 9th, 2009, 11:56
Hi heydon2008

Do you use the ENBseries dx9 hook in FSX at all?

I dont have this P51 but came across a simmilar problem earlyer today when using the freeware A22 Foxbat, when toggling ENB on and off (shift+F12) in sim it also switches the whole fuselage and wings on/off just like in one of your earlyer screenshots,not sure if its aplicable in this case but i just thought id post about it on the off chance its also effecting this P51

heydon2008
October 10th, 2009, 00:04
sorry do not even though what that is sorry, i feel i should but i don't
but i appreciate you trying to help. And i dont mean that in a patrinising way at all.
I have just sent warbirdsim an activation request (a second one as the other one did not work) they said "they can see another pc but they will give me the benefit of the doubt". Which i know they have to protect their product but it is not the way to talk to customers, but they already have your money and since they have not produced anything else so far if they talk to you like this, question is would you really buy from them again if this is their attitude?
I know there are software pirates out there, torrents and such like but all they have to do is look at their customer records and see who has bought from them.
Am i wrong to feel a little P@#ed off with them for talking to me like this?
I will let you be the judge

SpaceWeevil
October 10th, 2009, 00:54
It's easy to get the wrong impression from e-mails (and posts, as we all know!) but I don't think you have - WBS' comms were definitely on the terse / slightly narked side, although the actual customer service was fine for me. I wish I could get rid of my wishy-washy tendency to always think the best of people, but I can't, so I hope that WBS sort you guys out, take note of the customer comments, learn from the mistakes, and resolve do it all a bit better next time.

Edit: Jankees, that 'black lightning' paint is a stunner - not sure what it is about it, but I love it!

big-mike
October 10th, 2009, 05:55
Michael, if you used PayPal you won't have an order number as such but you will have a PayPal transaction reference - just use that in the e-mail header. Good luck, I'm feeling a bit guilty that mine was up & flying inside 10 minutes.

Hi,
thanks for your reply and that`s the point for me.
If i remember right ,during the payement process i should join PayPal but i don`t like to do so.
I don`t want to become a member there,so it can be,that i didn´t filled out all.But i got the downlod-link.
Meanwhile i received two mails from Warbirdsim,in one was to read,"please read the Faq",that was extremely helpful!
The other one says,that there is something wrong with my activation,and this is also extremely helpful.
Great,the money is gone to them and 24hours later i still cannot use the aircrafts.

I have nothing against safety procedures,but such one i`ve never seen before for many years.When i buy an aircraft,i will download it,install it,give in an safety code and then i want o fly it!
I´m sure,this was the first and the last time i purchased an aircraft from them!Sorry to say this,but i`m so enraged momently.
Never had such a trouble before.
Michael

heydon2008
October 10th, 2009, 06:15
Has anyone heard that the movie industry are making a movie called "red Tails" about the Tuskagee airman?

big-mike
October 10th, 2009, 08:36
.............still no answer from WarbirdSim---excellent support!!!

huub vink
October 10th, 2009, 09:04
The only people that should feel guilty is the pirates forcing warbirdsim to take drastic action .

All payware companies have this problem, however most of them have less problems with their installers and activation keys. The fact a, at least in my opinion, much too complex activation system is used here can not be blamed on piracy.

Huub

letsgetrowdy
October 10th, 2009, 09:09
great stuff jankess..
but you need to do this scheme for the A2A stang

big-mike
October 10th, 2009, 09:44
All payware companies have this problem, however most of them have less problems with their installers and activation keys. The fact a, at least in my opinion, much too complex activation system is used here can not be blamed on piracy.

Huub

That´s one thing,on the other hand i expect from an Developer that he is present,when he knows,that there are problems with his products.
Look around here,in this ---really great forum--- you´ll find enough of them,who are reading and answering questions of their customers every day.
But Warbirdsim seems to be in the weekend!
That´s not a customer friendly behaviour!
I can only hope,that the P51`s are worth the money,when they will work any day.
Michael

Rezabrya
October 10th, 2009, 10:50
I am going to be pretty blunt with this but I feel I need to state my opinion. I am not a pirate but I do go on pirate sites sometimes to see what is being pirated and by who. The WBS Mustang was up on a well known pirate site two days after it was released. The fact that they are going to very extreme measures to get it protected to the point where actual customers can't even use it is ridiculous. A lot of people won't like this statement but I'm going to say it anyway. Piracy is here so get used to it. Nothing you do will stop it because they will always find a way to counter your security measures. Why make it impossible for real customers to use it for no reason? I was looking forward to buying this plane but due to the astronomical price and the crazy anti piracy measures, it is a no-buy for me... along with any otherrelease where the dev feels it necessary to go to these measures. I'm sure many will agree...

gajit
October 10th, 2009, 13:25
I agree - it was a lot of hassle for me. Just as well the product is enjoyable but certainly not good value.

big-mike
October 11th, 2009, 05:38
I am going to be pretty blunt with this but I feel I need to state my opinion. I am not a pirate but I do go on pirate sites sometimes to see what is being pirated and by who. The WBS Mustang was up on a well known pirate site two days after it was released. The fact that they are going to very extreme measures to get it protected to the point where actual customers can't even use it is ridiculous. A lot of people won't like this statement but I'm going to say it anyway. Piracy is here so get used to it. Nothing you do will stop it because they will always find a way to counter your security measures. Why make it impossible for real customers to use it for no reason? I was looking forward to buying this plane but due to the astronomical price and the crazy anti piracy measures, it is a no-buy for me... along with any otherrelease where the dev feels it necessary to go to these measures. I'm sure many will agree...

That i meant a few posts ago and now you find it on those sites.
And i can`t believe it,but i have still no reply from Warbirdsim!
It`s now 48hours ago,when i purchased the P51 and i cannot use,what i`ve bought.
What cheek!
Tomorrow i will order my money back
Michael

gajit
October 11th, 2009, 06:36
I had to wait a whole 7 days :mixedsmi:

big-mike
October 11th, 2009, 06:47
I had to wait a whole 7 days :mixedsmi:

I will not wait so long.
Just sent them a mail,that i will order my money back tomorrow,if there is no support today.
I will not accept such a behaviour. For me it`s quiet easy,they could send me a new downloadlink with the activation keys and then they could look,what´s running worse during my purchase procedure.
But not replying several mails,sorry,but that is more than odd.
I have attached the payement mail from PayPal and the the other mails,i`ve received from WarbirdSim.
More is not possible,in future they can fly their aircrafts themselves.
Michael

Slug Flyer
October 11th, 2009, 10:12
The WBS Mustang was up on a well known pirate site two days after it was released.

Quelle surprise.

GBrutus
October 11th, 2009, 10:31
I'm going to give this a miss I think. It's a shame because I was looking forward to this one being released. It's not the package itself but the way it's being marketed that's put me off. It seems to me that Warbirdsim have shot themselves in the foot big-time. I wonder how many would be purchasers have decided to leave this one alone?

IanP
October 11th, 2009, 11:31
I wonder how many would be purchasers have decided to leave this one alone?

:wavey:

That'll be me, then. As soon as I saw the activation system they were using, I knew there would be problems, so I held off. I will now be holding off permanently, which is a major pity because I would both like the product and would like to support the developer.

Slug Flyer
October 11th, 2009, 11:35
:wavey:

That'll be me, then. As soon as I saw the activation system they were using, I knew there would be problems, so I held off. I will now be holding off permanently, which is a major pity because I would both like the product and would like to support the developer.

The absurd pricing made it improbable that I would ever purchase this release. The equally absurd activation and laughable lack of customer support have made it impossible.

IanP
October 11th, 2009, 12:13
I don't mind paying the price, if I feel a product is worth it. I strongly suspect in this instance that the security system (which is purchased in from a company known for major problems with its over-complex security software and lack of customer support) is a large part of that cost.

The most secure flight sim software we have seen is by Ariane and we have asked them to help us with the security. You may remember they kindly gave us the website template, with which we are very happy.

I think that was proved wrong very quickly. A quick search for Ariane products one very well known site makes me question it even more as I couldn't find a single one that wasn't available illegally which I could find available for sale.

I'll be honest, you've probably lost a sale here. I've heard far, far, too many complaints about Ariane's activation system.

That said, most of the complaints seem to be with the fact that problems with the system aren't resolved - I'll have to wait and see on that. Being someone who was actively waiting for these to be released, though, overzealous anti-copyright infringement measures are more likely to make me put my card away than get it out. They don't hurt the people who want to copy it - who wouldn't have bought it anyway in the collossal majority of cases. They do hurt me when I can't use the product I've paid a license fee for.

I wish I had been proved wrong instead.

Roger
October 11th, 2009, 12:17
Go to Avsim forums. Search "ariane". See pages upon pages of issues. QED.

SpaceWeevil
October 11th, 2009, 23:35
I should say that, while the security is indeed over-complex and a right pain, printing out the activation instructions (as suggested) and following them to the letter got me up & flying inside 15 minutes. And please, all I'm saying is that I followed the steps exactly and the activation worked first time for me. As for customer service, I've not had to wait more than half a day for any reply from WBS<order no="">. It hasn't always been the reply I wanted, but that's another story. Just my £45's worth - far too much, of course. Good luck one and all getting sorted / refunded / whatever.
</order>

big-mike
October 12th, 2009, 06:11
The third day and no reply from Warbirdsim.Today i had no time,but tomorrow i will go to my bank and order the money back.
A really funny company.It seems,they don`t need to sell their products.
This was my experience with this company,finished.

empeck
October 12th, 2009, 06:28
Maybe it's Ariane themselves under new name? ;)

big-mike
October 12th, 2009, 09:04
Contact!
Hurray,it`s working now.:greenf:
I don`t know,what´s been wrong,i got a new activation string from the support,that`s all.
Oh man,i`m slowly too old for.........
The first impressions are simply-----WOW!
I think,it`s worth the price.
Sorry,when i was so enraged,but that`s me.
:ipepsi2:

heydon2008
October 12th, 2009, 10:03
I also have managed to get my mustang work!
P.s Jankees you mentioned something about a repaint, can i take you up on your offer please, i do have a paint scheme in mind this one if i can be cheeky and suggest it:

http://www.acepilots.com/planes/p51_topper.jpg

heydon2008
October 12th, 2009, 10:07
Yes i can safetly say my activation problems were self manufactured, i ask my e-mails to be forwarded to another account rather than the one i registered with warbirdsim.
However i will say that warbirdsim did take a while in replying to e-mails.
And sorry jankees i ill stop boring you to death with my activation problems so crack open the bubly LOL!!!