View Full Version : Tsr-2

Kevboy
August 25th, 2009, 00:58
Scroll down and check out the photo of TSR-2 on this web page :ernae:

http://www.duxford-update.info/

Kevboy.

arrowmaker
August 25th, 2009, 01:37
Great looking plane. I check out the one at my local air museum (Cosford) whenever I am there. I used to fly the AlphaSim model of this in FS2004. Excellent exterior modelling. However I just could not get over the quite poor VC, which just spoilt it for me.

I just tried finding the old AlphaSim video of the model. However it's one of the many video's on the AlphaSim site that have a dead link.

Kevboy
August 25th, 2009, 02:31
Yes thearrowmaker I was on a visit to RAF Cosford in May and did have a look at the TSR-2, nice.

Have you looked on Youtube for TSR-2 vids?

Kevboy.

Naismith
August 25th, 2009, 02:52
TSR-2 - big init!

arrowmaker
August 25th, 2009, 03:36
Have you looked on Youtube for TSR-2 vids?

Yes I have. I just could not find the one that AlphaSim used to promote the product. As I said there is a link to it on AlphaSim's video page. However it does not work.

I looked at some of the video's on the actual TSR2. It's quite incredible, but understandable, that no one knows, or is unwilling to admit, who actually took the decision to destroy all of the remaining hull's.

CBris
August 25th, 2009, 05:26
I think it looked better as 'fashion', although as a plane, she's not too bad looking either, just a failed design that was scrapped... er... does anyone remember the dress that was made out of TSR2 scrap pieces?

3/7charlie
August 25th, 2009, 06:07
I dare say that the TSR2 would have been a real world beater. Though politics had the lions share of reason for its demise, a big contributor piss-poor management by BAC, and the RAF over-specifiying the bejeebers out of the nav/attack system, though gold plating was endemic everwhere, and still is, the makers never saying 'no, thats not realistic in the time/money envelope'
and the services believing the salesman. And how about Rolly Beaumont. There is a pilot with big ones, flying the machine knowing that the engines were prone to resonance induced explosions when run up to anything like full thrust, say if one blower quit. Lovely machine. and big.

peter12213
August 25th, 2009, 06:25
It was miles ahead of everything else just a conservative government put an end to it, biggest mistake ever in the history of British aviation, I honestly think it probably would have been flying today if it wasn't for its cancellation! And as for Roland Beaumont, what a guy!!

Matt Wynn
August 25th, 2009, 06:45
yeah TSR2 was so advanced for its time, a low-level tactical Strike & Recon (TSR), she was fast, sleek capable of carrying a fair load and the Govt. officials at the air ministry pulled a face, in a way TSR2 was the beginning of the end of British Aircraft design, yeah my closest museum is cosford and i go there whenever i can and usually spend close to an hour just looking at the TSR :icon_lol:

guzzi
August 25th, 2009, 07:35
I think it looked better as 'fashion', although as a plane, she's not too bad looking either, just a failed design that was scrapped... er... does anyone remember the dress that was made out of TSR2 scrap pieces?

Not really a failed design - more a design failed by politics see http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/tsr2/index.php and replaced by a far inferior American product!

SpaceWeevil
August 25th, 2009, 09:51
Not really a failed design - more a design failed by politics see http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/tsr2/index.php and replaced by a far inferior American product!

Or, in an alternative universe, replaced by probably the most successful and battle proven multi-role combat aircraft there has ever been!

Matt Wynn
August 25th, 2009, 10:00
shows how advanced it was when the jaguar used a dumbed down version of the NAVWASS (Navigataion Weapons Aiming Sub-System) that was fitted to TSR2, personally Harold Wilson is to blame i feel for the killing of the UK aircraft industry... dang i want a good TSR2 for FSX now!

Bjoern
August 25th, 2009, 11:40
The TSR is a sexy aicraft!...which is quite unusual for a british design though...;)

Naki
August 25th, 2009, 13:45
The TSR is a sexy aicraft!...which is quite unusual for a british design though...;)

Wada ya mean..what about the Spitfire, Hawker Fury, Concorde (yes i know half French), Comet (both types) & Hawker Hunter

Bjoern
August 26th, 2009, 11:10
Wada ya mean..what about the Spitfire, Hawker Fury, Concorde (yes i know half French), Comet (both types) & Hawker

Ugly (passable with bubble canopy), ugly, ugly, ugly, Hawkerwhat?

You're not gonna win me over with those. However I've always found the 1-11 and Andover fairly good looking.

stiz
August 26th, 2009, 11:18
how about the anson, oxford, stirling ... nighthawk! :icon_lol:

Bjoern
August 26th, 2009, 11:21
how about the anson, oxford, stirling ... nighthawk! :icon_lol:

Are you trying to kill me? :icon_lol:

IanHenry
August 26th, 2009, 13:17
The Harrier is a good looking aircraft.

Ian