PDA

View Full Version : RAM Woes, asking the great SoH Orical

michael davies
August 24th, 2009, 23:45
Ok, simple question really, just ordered and bought some new RAM, its DDR2 2 x 2GB sticks PC2 8500 1066Mhz, now the stock code is correct, the label on the RAM is correct, yet CPU-Z is saying its PC2 6400 at 400Mhz, or at least its saying the max bandwidth available is 400Mhz, could it be the MOBO (ASUS P5Q-PRO) thats throttling it ?. I'm assuming the Mhz is halved because its a dual package, did I go wrong there, should I have opted for 4x1Gb sticks instead ?.

Is there another utility out there that will give me RAM specs so I can cross ref CPU-Z ?.

Link to the product http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/MemoryRAM/DDR2-PC2-8500/1066MHz/OCZ/OCZ2G10664GK.html

All help appreciated.

Kindest

Michael

noddy
August 24th, 2009, 23:53
I know when I installed my new RAM and fired the machine up for the first time it showed the in correct information.

I was told to go to the BIOS options, and change the detials in there, this was on a Dell machine

"Many DDR2-8500 modules are primarily encoded as 6400's on the SPD, the 1066mhz speed is usually unlocked via EPP which requires an Nvidia chipset motherboard, for automaticly setting the speed.
It is compatible and run with other motherboards but to get the 1066mhz speed it and the timings must be set manually.

And heres where i think you might be out of luck, if your DELL is anything like ive experienced with DELL computers you will not be able to do this as on many of their previous models they have locked away the advanced BIOS options.
But thats where i would start looking anyway just in case, to see if you have any options for speed and timings in the BIOS.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

michael davies
August 25th, 2009, 00:29
Noddy,

I think your right, I'm just googling this type of RAM, all sorts or woes all over the place, something to do with defaults and start up settings, seems OCZ set it to 800Mhz for safe boot up from a cold start.

Looks like you need to adjust the RAM voltage to 2.0 - 2.1V to unlock the high clock speed and then force it in the BIOS to 1066Mhz, I've just tried that and CPU-Z does say a clock speed of 533Mhz but the rest of the settings remain locked at 400Mhz and no timings are shown for 533Mhz.

Apparently this is normal with CPU-Z and OCZ 1066Mhz RAM, though I'd still like to get it first hand from the gurus here or any other input other members might have.

I dont have a Dell, I've heard they do things like that, in some cases they hot glue components in, making it impossible for you to upgrade even simple parts like graphics cards, I suppose thats to prevent bits falling off and reduce customer care issues ?.

Nothing is ever simple these days is it LOL.

Kindest

Michael

I know when I installed my new RAM and fired the machine up for the first time it showed the in correct information.

I was told to go to the BIOS options, and change the detials in there, this was on a Dell machine

"Many DDR2-8500 modules are primarily encoded as 6400's on the SPD, the 1066mhz speed is usually unlocked via EPP which requires an Nvidia chipset motherboard, for automaticly setting the speed.
It is compatible and run with other motherboards but to get the 1066mhz speed it and the timings must be set manually.

And heres where i think you might be out of luck, if your DELL is anything like ive experienced with DELL computers you will not be able to do this as on many of their previous models they have locked away the advanced BIOS options.
But thats where i would start looking anyway just in case, to see if you have any options for speed and timings in the BIOS.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

stansdds
August 25th, 2009, 02:07
I had trouble with my current Gigabyte board not properly recognizing my CPU or my RAM. Adjusting the BIOS settings cleared up the issue.

2Low
August 25th, 2009, 06:58
If I remember and understand right ram has to be sold adhering to J-DEC specs, that is the 800Mhz. The ram you bought is certified by the company to be tested and capable of running at 1066 if you overclock your computer and want to run those speeds.

Some motherboards will do that for you now if the ram has the profiles available.

harleyman
August 25th, 2009, 07:28
Michael

Whats your MoBo make and model ? Is it flashed to the latest?

Reboot, tapping the DEL key to get into bios.

On the page where you OC..Find ...

System Memory Multiplier... Set it to Auto..

Below that it shouls read in blue the FREQ..... Shoukd be:: 800 - 1060 0r 1066

If not manually enter the timings for that ram ...Save and reboot...

Then run CPU Z again and see..But it will only report whats shown in your bios..So it needs to change there...

michael davies
August 25th, 2009, 08:16
Hi,

Yeah after a few hours I sort of figured that, set the RAM voltage to 2.1 and manually set the Freq to 1066, CPU-z now shows 533<hz which I believe is correct, I'd overclocked the E8400 to 3.6....oddly CPU-z shows that at 2.4Mhz now so I wonder if its conflicting with the RAM ?.

I do have the latest BIOS, well latest when I built this set up a few months ago, sadly FSx doesnt seem any smoother at all with the new RAM, very odd.

Just going to recheck the BIOS now as that Chip speed looks way too low, it may even be auto adjusting to load ?.

Kindest

Michael

Michael

Whats your MoBo make and model ? Is it flashed to the latest?

Reboot, tapping the DEL key to get into bios.

On the page where you OC..Find ...

System Memory Multiplier... Set it to Auto..

Below that it shouls read in blue the FREQ..... Shoukd be:: 800 - 1060 0r 1066

If not manually enter the timings for that ram ...Save and reboot...

Then run CPU Z again and see..But it will only report whats shown in your bios..So it needs to change there...

harleyman
August 25th, 2009, 12:23
So...What MoBo you have?

michael davies
August 25th, 2009, 13:15
Sorry LOL, Asus P5Q-PRO.

Rechecked the chip Freq and seems CPU-Z is broke and gives one figure but CPUID gives another, ie the correct overclocked speed, just had a little scare, jumped the chip up to 3.8Mhz and it failed spectacularly, even the BIOS froze, just would not boot at all nor would it auto reset the overclock like it should, though it might be something to do with the new RAM so checked and reseated and then the BIOS reset to default...phew !!.

Best

Michael

So...What MoBo you have?

harleyman
August 25th, 2009, 13:23
3.4 to 3.6 is all FSX will use anyway..

To set that OC you need mucho voltage added...LOL

Glad your ram is corrected now ...:mixedsmi:

michael davies
August 25th, 2009, 14:31
OK thats for that, thats about as good as its going to get then :), at least its stable now and semi fluid, not liquid smooth but acceptable, except storm weather which tends to upset it a lot, will play with the cfg and see if anyhting yields small gains or not.

Best

Michael