PDA

View Full Version : Help need PC recomendations

flyindave
August 24th, 2009, 17:01
This PC has given me problems since I bought it a couple years ago I was sold a bill of goods by a sales man it has limped along but now I have not been able to run FSX for a couple of weeks and after messing with it it seems the ram is bad or going bad as now other programs are having problems. So what are the opinions on the Dell 630 an 730 systems or do you guys only reccomend putting together one from components I am an old retired guy but used to work on processor systems for a living IE: the kind of stuff that runs equipment input from the knowlegeable would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Dave

N2056
August 24th, 2009, 17:08
First off...I would avoid Dell :icon_lol:

Personally, I built a rig recently based on hardware recommendations courtesy of Harlyman & Texnetcop. I have been very happy with it so far. I would suggest listening to anything they have to say! ;)

MCDesigns
August 24th, 2009, 17:47
Budget?

harleyman
August 24th, 2009, 18:15
What else do you need your computer to do besides FSX ?

Any editing like video or photo-shop?

I would suggest to you that FSX does not require you to toss lots of cash its way..

It will only run as good as the coding will let it...

More money will not improve it at all...LOL

I suggest a simple quad system....Be it socket 775 or i7

Thanks for the vote of confidence Robert !

A properly built rig designed around a Q9550 or a Q9650 is all that FSX will ever need.

I built a rig off a E5200 CPU at 2.5 Gh and OCed it to 3.3 on air and its stellar....It will however struggle with heavy applications like some of these new high res textures aircraft.....If you do more than GA flying I suggest a quad core with good memory.

Kiwikat
August 24th, 2009, 18:30
A nice Q9550 machine with a 9800GTX+ and 4 GB ram should cost you around 900 dollars. It will run pretty much any FSX addon out there too. If you're worried about the graphics memory you could always go with a 1 gig GTS250 for not a whole lot more money. In fact a 1 GB GTS250 is 125 dollars, the Q9550 is 220, and 4 GB of good 1066 MHz DDR2 is 60 bucks. Throw in a modest power supply, a decent case, a CPU cooler, and a gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard and you've got yourself a very budget conscious computer that will run FSX at over 30 FPS with most addons.

flyindave
August 27th, 2009, 14:45
I am curious as to what is bad about Dell I dont personally have any experience with them. MC Designs I would like to keep it under 3,000 or there about but really want reliability and of course good FSX operation, I do a lot of Photoshop work and a little video editing. I will try to look up Harlyman & Texnetcop for their info. I am trying to be careful this time as I feel I got screwed this last time thanks and any more input will be appreciated

Dave

harleyman
August 27th, 2009, 15:03
Hey FlyinDave.

Be glad to help..

Are you building one or looking to have a system built?

I see you have PMs turned off....

flyindave
August 27th, 2009, 15:07
At this time all options are open as for the PM didnt know it not sure where to edit my info?

Ah Ha found it PM should be on now

harleyman
August 27th, 2009, 15:11
In your User Control Panel...On the top left of page (User CP)

Select Edit options and check to recieve PMs..

harleyman
August 27th, 2009, 15:16
You can also check there on the same page to give you a pop up when you have a PM come in...

stansdds
August 28th, 2009, 03:13
I will buy a laptop, but not a desktop computer. Building is the better way to go or have it built for you. Off the shelf computers normally use components that are barely adequate and have a substantial mark up.