PDA

View Full Version : Pics of RCAF Canso needed!

Wild Bill Kelso
August 23rd, 2009, 00:09
Dear friends!

I'd like to do a repaint on the Abacus PBY-5A Catalina in the RCAF Canso post-war RESCUE livery, but it seems like there's not too much pics of her available on the net.

I know that there's a nice repaint of Mike Stone's Dumbo in this version, but I need some more sources.

Has anyone an idea where to obtain some more details?

Thanks in advance,
Markus.

Here's what I have up to now:

srgalahad
August 23rd, 2009, 04:29
Yeah, give me a couple of days to dig and I should have something. Note the differences in your pics - the a/c ident and fuselage band vary depending on whether it's a r/w/b fin flash or the Red Ensign so you may have to look at two paints or a tough choice. Also the "orange" was a high visibility 'tangerine' colour, not Day-Glo ( which didn't come in until the late 50's from the info I have)

Rob

thedude247
August 23rd, 2009, 04:51
Any chance of an Alphasim paint as well, I'm dying for some RCAF paints for her. :kilroy:

The Catalina I mean...........

Wild Bill Kelso
August 23rd, 2009, 05:50
Any chance of an Alphasim paint as well?

Sorry to disappoint you, dude - but as the Alphasim Cat does not belong to my fleet (yet...), this one will be for the Abacus Dumbo only.
But if anyone wants to apply the scheme to the Alphasim version, I'd be glad to provide some useful templates once I'm ready.

@ Rob:
I knew I could count on you! :ernae:
Very much looking foreward to your possible results!

By now, I'd prefer the post-1958 'red ensign' era and the AF087 in particular - but there might be an even more attractive template to depict...

Cheers,
Markus.