PDA

View Full Version : The things we do for you.

Gibbage
August 22nd, 2009, 20:31
Just wanted to share a little insight to what us artist's do for the customers. I was recently assigned the next project, with the P-38 and Vision art done and in the hands of a great team of programmers.

So, doing my standard research for documents and photo's on the net of this new aircraft (that will be un-named), I found one for sale at a near by airport. I spoke with the man selling it, and agreed to allow me to take some photo's of it for reference. I even sweetened the pot by giving him a copy of FSX gold I had laying around. Today, I got to take the photo's.

Now, at first, I was going to ride my motorcycle down too the field.

http://www.gibbageart.com/files/wee02.jpg

Any excuse to ride, is a good excuse. Weather was also looking good, considering Seattles reputation!

But today, even at small airfields, they have security. thats such a pain. The owner was going to meet me in a parking lot, then take me in through the gate. I figured I wouldn't want to put inconvenience him, so I came up with another idea. Instead of going through the gate, why not just go over it?

I have a good friend who has is license, and he's been trying to get me up for some time. I asked him, and he liked the idea! So he rented a Cessna 162 from his flying club, and met at Renton field. Thats a field south of Seattle, and Boeing makes the 737's there.

So I get to the airport, and help my friend do pre-flight checks, un-tie the 162, and hop it.

That last part, "hop in" is not the best way to describe me getting into this Cessna. Im 6'4" and on the plus side of 280. This was also my first time in a small GA aircraft. Lets just say, a shoe horn was used liberally. Luckly my friend is a bean sprout, so we didnt encroach on the max payload.

We taxi out, and take off north over Lake Washington. Earlier, it was overcast, but just for us, the sun started to burn off the clouds as we climbed and turned south for Auburn.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/gibbage/101_2246.jpg

Lake Washington with Seattle in the distance.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/gibbage/101_2244.jpg

You can see the Boeing factory just off to the right.

Heading south, Mt Ranier came out to say "HI!"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/gibbage/101_2249.jpg

We land at Auburn about 10 mins later. Yes, a 10 min flight. One thing motorcyclist's and pilots have in common, is we both think of any excuse to fly/ride ;)

We spent about an hour documenting the next subject of my desires (I tend to fall in love with any aircraft I model, the only exception is the Me-109. I just cant love that thing.) and head back to the 162 with shoe horn in hand!

Overall, it was a very fun experience. Again, its my first time in a small GA and I had a lot of fun. My friend is an exceptional pilot, and not only get I get a chance to ride my beloved motorcycle, I got to tool around Seattle in an Cessna! Cant ask for a better weekend. And this is my job. I cant believe people PAY me for this!!

God I hope Colin doesn't read that.... :kilroy:

Well off to work on the next project! And no, im not saying what it is, and no clues. Its a secret ;) :monkies:

And that ends the day in the life of an aircraft artist. Not typical by any means, but I simply LOVE research trips. I have traveled hundreds of miles to gather reference photo's. Spoken with many pilots. Seen many sights. Its the highlight of any project besides reading people's comments. I just wanted to share a little big with everyone here. Give them an idea of how far we go to make sure its right. From a 10 min flight in a Cessna, to a 250 mile motorcycle ride to Palm Springs (when I lived in So-Cal), its all for you guys!

MudMarine
August 22nd, 2009, 20:45
You can't fall in love with a 109......??:isadizzy: Poor sick man!!:icon_lol: Live to ride, ride to live!!

Mr.Mugel
August 23rd, 2009, 00:17
Sounds like a hard day over :d

And you´re right, any excuse is good for motorbiking, rode about 40 miles on thursday before work, to get me a new keychain...

CBris
August 23rd, 2009, 01:08
Good read... thanks. The photos are rather tempting for a visit, but halfway round the world is perhaps a bit out of the way.

Gibbage
August 23rd, 2009, 01:34
Washington/Seattle is wonderful. I moved up here to work at Aces on FS11, and I dont plan on going back to So-Cal. Sure, the weather is nice, but there are no friggen trees!!! The pic of my bike is of So-Cal. Glendale/LA to be exact. Its like living in a boring desert. Washington, even with its rain, is infinitely better in my opinion, and I was born and raised in So-Cal. That says a lot I think. Plus, everyone here is so friendly! In LA, every has the "screw someone before they screw you" attitude. Im glad to be rid of that.

Bone
August 23rd, 2009, 02:44
I enjoyed the "research" photos and dialog. The NW is a very nice area.

jmig
August 23rd, 2009, 05:01
:icon_lol: I know, I know, it is a hard job....but.....somebody has to do it.

Nice post. :)
:ernae:

Roadburner440
August 23rd, 2009, 05:16
Looks like you had a good time getting away from the computer screen doing the rendering end of things. Nice story too. Now I am wondering what it is.

Piglet
August 23rd, 2009, 17:19
So-Cal. Glendale/LA to be exact.

Bet you rode right by me and never even knew it!

FelixFFDS
August 23rd, 2009, 17:22
Great screen shots! FS-X gets more realistic all the time!

:)

EgoR64
August 24th, 2009, 06:17
:ernae:

Motorcycle + Mt Ranier = priceless

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz-WuLQz_ns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz-WuLQz_ns)

cheezyflier
August 24th, 2009, 08:33
as big as you are and you ride a v-strom?
a totally sweet bike, but you must be a contortionist, at 6'4 280.

AckAck
August 24th, 2009, 18:58
Well off to work on the next project! And no, im not saying what it is, and no clues. Its a secret
Hmmm - you kind of make is (sort of) easy to track down what you might be taking pictures of....

No clues? Really? Except for the three in the story, you mean. :d

Brian

Gibbage
August 24th, 2009, 19:15
Bet you rode right by me and never even knew it!

Man! If I knew you were local, I would of met up with you! Damn shame we didnt know till I got out of La La land. I lived in Glendale for 3 years, and the OC before that. Angles Crest Highway was my playground.

Gibbage
August 24th, 2009, 19:18
as big as you are and you ride a v-strom?
a totally sweet bike, but you must be a contortionist, at 6'4 280.

Dont be fooled. The Wee is a big bike! Some describe it as a baby Goldwing! I got a taller seat and a lamb skin after that photo since it was cramping my knees a little, but after that I rode it 1200+ miles from So-Cal to Seattle with no problem. Also that little 650 kicks! Great ride and a simply outstanding bike. A lot of BMW 1200 owners traded up to a DL-650 and sold there beemer its so good. You ride? If you can ID a Strom, I think you do ;) Not many people know about the V-strom other then fellow motorcyclist's.

forgeknight
August 25th, 2009, 05:40
Well I have to have my say here. After looking at the screenshots I am very unhappy with the texture used for the prop, looks very unrealistic. And the windows dont look like real glass do you plan on fixing that? And what is up with the texture and color of the outside? I really want this in bare metal, will there be a paint kit? I also think the rivets are too pronounced and the shadowing seems off. Almost forgot, do you have any more pics of the VC? How are the frame rates?
Honestly, and on a more serious note, good luck with the next project, looks as if the back half of this year will be a good one for FSX!

cheezyflier
August 25th, 2009, 06:36
Dont be fooled. The Wee is a big bike! Some describe it as a baby Goldwing! I got a taller seat and a lamb skin after that photo since it was cramping my knees a little, but after that I rode it 1200+ miles from So-Cal to Seattle with no problem. Also that little 650 kicks! Great ride and a simply outstanding bike. A lot of BMW 1200 owners traded up to a DL-650 and sold there beemer its so good. You ride? If you can ID a Strom, I think you do ;) Not many people know about the V-strom other then fellow motorcyclist's.

some guys are into fords or chevy's. i'm into suzuki's. the v-strom is a well kept secret, a fantastic bike. i liked the TL1000 also.
secretly, i lust after the bandit 1200, the one with the a/b. i'm just not sure i can handle the seat height anymore. i've had a '99 vl1500 and a 99 vs 800. i've tried to buy other bikes, but when it comes time to actually spend, somehow, it's been suzuki that really "floats my boat"