PDA

View Full Version : US Cruisers 1883-1904

TARPSBird
October 22nd, 2008, 12:28
During my work shift at Barnes & Noble on Monday, I noticed this book on the Osprey display rack: US Cruisers 1883-1904 by Lawrence Burr. I know many SOH members are interested in vintage warships as well as planes, so you may want to check it out. The book covers the deterioration of the US Fleet after the Civil War, and its recovery in the late 1880's with the construction of the all-steam battle cruisers. Good photo reproduction and drawings. The interior shots of the USS Olympia are really interesting - almost looks like the old girl could get underway again with some steam plant rehab and a conversion to oil. :) ISBN 9781846032677, $17.95 online from B&N, or check your local bookstore.

Craig Taylor
October 22nd, 2008, 12:48
I visited Olympia a few years ago. It's quite a contrast from today's warships - much roomier in the common spaces, although crew berthing left a lot to be desired back then (hammocks strung from the ceiling at night... :d). The galley reminded me of an old farm kitchen. The overall design really was a reflection of the times, and she really wasn't built for sustained combat. I was sorry they weren't allowing tours of the weather deck due to "safety hazards" but I gathered that she needed a lot of work topside. It's privately owned now and relies solely on donations and museum fees for upkeep. If anyone passes through Philadelphia I highly recommend it. It's down by Penn's Landing, I believe, but I don't remember the name of the museum complex.

TARPSBird
October 22nd, 2008, 14:49
It's at the Independence Seaport Museum.
http://www.phillyseaport.org
The website has some interesting comparison photos of Olympia's interior spaces, 1900 vs. present day. Everything has been kept at (or restored to) original appearance. Would be a great ship to visit.

Captain Tenneal
October 22nd, 2008, 21:06
I love the steelnavy, ships with character I've done a few in fsds for cfs2 but haven't released them including the Oly sorry no screenies right now as there trapped on my old machine, that is in suspended animation till i get a new one.

Oly
Maine
Brooklyn
Oregon

<DL><DD>The gray, gray mists where once she lay — <DD>(Ah but her name is pride!) <DD>She loosed her moorings and bore away <DD>To serve again in a thunderous day — <DD>The Oregon sails with the tide! </DD></DL>

CG_1976
October 22nd, 2008, 21:26
Thank You for the ISBN #. Been lookin for some reading and historical study material on the steel naval period.

lifejogger
October 23rd, 2008, 05:53
Thanks for the heads up I'll see if I can get that online.

Collin
October 23rd, 2008, 16:41
This book comes up on ebay quite regular.

regards Collin:ernae: