PDA

View Full Version : Hey, No way I couldn't do this one, lol

falcon409
August 21st, 2009, 07:26
Flying Ed's Airstrip (ME06) is a private Airstrip about 2nm miles from Charlotte, Maine. One 1900x30' rwy (grass) and a very short 600x30' rwy (grass). I redid the airport boundary, moved the rwy's to match the correct orientation, changed the Landclass to something closer to what's actually in that area, more trees, hangars, a residence and a few airplanes.

Kiwikat
August 21st, 2009, 07:30
It is cool little projects like this that make FS that much more interesting! I wish I had the time and motivation to do the same type of sceneries... :mixedsmi:

Will you be releasing it to the public? :kilroy:

falcon409
August 21st, 2009, 07:52
I don't know if I will or not actually. I've been plagued by elevation problems with some of the ones I've done. They look and act perfectly on my rig, but then someone else get's it, who doesn't have GEX or UTX and bad things start happening. Anymore, with as many different setup and settings and addons as folks have and unless it's a custom made scenery project it's hit or miss as to whether or not it will work.

I've done 10 small fields in Maine thus far, released 3 and then a few others to individuals for testing. Of the three I released, I know Two Falls(ME79) was a problem and all the ones I sent to folks for testing had little quirks about them. Given that track record and unless I can find a way to make these work on any system (I don't think that's possible), then I'll probably be the only one enjoying them. Too bad cause they are far better than the default stuff.

Lionheart
August 21st, 2009, 08:24
I hear you on that Falcon. With so many versions of addon scenery, addon terrain mesh, etc, its difficult to get scenery to ever work these days. When I was still doing scenery back in FS2004, I was having tons of issues then. I dont know how the big guys do it with their payware downloads, installing perfect (usually) on the sim. It would be nice if scenery was more friendly in loading up to 'all' computers and FS installations, and OS types.

Great looking airstrip! I was watching a Tailwind movie on YouTube and this guy does a takeoff and landing in a small strip in a forest with the runway narrowly cutout through the trees. For FS, it looked scary, but in the real world, with a few yards to each side of you, it looked fairly safe, lol.. (One small gust of side wind and that might change things real fast). :kilroy:

Bill

falcon409
August 21st, 2009, 08:37
I hear you on that Falcon. With so many versions of addon scenery, addon terrain mesh, etc, its difficult to get scenery to ever work these days. When I was still doing scenery back in FS2004, I was having tons of issues then. I dont know how the big guys do it with their payware downloads, installing perfect (usually) on the sim. It would be nice if scenery was more friendly in loading up to 'all' computers and FS installations, and OS types.
Bill
Yea, kinda depressing that I've discovered a hidden talent and can't share it, lol. I don't know how the payware folks do it either actually. I wonder if a stripped version of FSX/Accel, no addons, just default everything and then build on that basis. . .I wonder if scenery designed on a platform like that would autoadjust itself to any system? As it is, I have both GEX and UTX running, so anything I design is based on those elevation settings not on the default.

Maybe an e-mail to Bill Womack would produce an answer. He's one of the best, along with Holger.

jdhaenens
August 21st, 2009, 08:53
LOL, I can't speak for Holger or Bill, but I keep my dev computer absolutely free of terrain and landclass texture addons. Bill has convinced me that if I need to do something with shorelines, just delete 'em all and start from scratch.

Elevation mesh is different. I know one of my beta testers for Corpus Christi ran into problems on his install because of an addon mesh. I've learned a little since then and should be able to provide elevation mesh along with the sceneries from now on if I have any mesh problems with addons. I have Global Mapper software now and am thinking about switching to Manifold which is supposed to allow a better point by point elevation editing capability.

Jim

Reddog
August 21st, 2009, 08:56
I have all 3 of the released one and yes Two Flls caused a problem, RunningFSX w/SP1, parts of UTX(water and roads), Cloud9s Landclass, FSGlobal Mesh. Ideleted the Two falls AFX file and now all is okay. Don't Know why but it is?????

gera
August 21st, 2009, 08:56
Yea, kinda depressing that I've discovered a hidden talent and can't share it, lol. I don't know how the payware folks do it either actually. I wonder if a stripped version of FSX/Accel, no addons, just default everything and then build on that basis. . .I wonder if scenery designed on a platform like that would autoadjust itself to any system? As it is, I have both GEX and UTX running, so anything I design is based on those elevation settings not on the default.

Maybe an e-mail to Bill Womack would produce an answer. He's one of the best, along with Holger.

Some of my scenery has also had bad results on some machines, I guess the payware scenery dudes have some secret code or a god of scenery watching over their stuff....anyway it does not happen very often, I have noticed UTX sure is cause of concern. I also have noticed that you need to tweak Sbuilder very well and it works ok........next on the menu? some airfields in the Philiphines that will place white hair on anyone´s top! while traying to land....:pop4:

MCDesigns
August 21st, 2009, 09:02
That is exactly why I haven't finished my Nam scenery, looks different on testers rigs than it does on mine, usually due to texture addons like GEX.

I love that you are doing small strips around Maine (Bald Mountain looks the best IMO), gives me a reason to fly in that area. Hope you get the issues worked out and release the rest.

Boomer
August 21st, 2009, 09:06
Looks very nice!

Send it my way, I'll take my chances :engel016:

gera
August 21st, 2009, 09:09
I guess you guys should upload them with a warning on the Read Me First that some machine´s addons might conflict and be done with it. I do this and thank those that report the problem for I have done some stuff to the scenery that has mitigated the problem.....

Tip...Join Fsdeveloper.com Forum, there are some real gurus there that really help out and give all kind of useful tips and advise, I ow some guys there, they have given me great advise which has made my work better, great people from all over the world there, Luis Sa author of Sbuilder is always around helping anyone who asks as well as many other well known guys.....

falcon409
August 21st, 2009, 17:20
Ok, I need to know which option will work the best here. I have zipped all the scenery files together, then went looking for all the scenery object libraries that were used to put those 10 airports together. . .there are 14 different scenery libraries that must be downloaded so you have everything you need for these to work correctly (maybe I should say, so you can see everything you're supposed to see). I have downloaded all the zip files and repacked them into one download. The total zipfile size is 88.6meg. so here's the question. . .do you want to download that whole file as is or do you want just the scenery files and you go out and download the rest? I can do it either way. It's also possible that if you have a lot of addon scenery (especially freeware) you may have some or all of these objects already.

So whaddya think?

NOTE: After looking closer at the entire zipfile, the scenery files alone take 56meg of that file size, so pulling the objects library won't make a lot of difference. I'll post a link here shortly. . .stand by!!

Here ya go:
http://www.box.net/shared/static/kp4as27hyi.zip

anthony31
August 21st, 2009, 19:04
NOTE: After looking closer at the entire zipfile, the scenery files alone take 56meg of that file size, so pulling the objects library won't make a lot of difference.

How did you manage that? I'm working on an airport now that has about 10 square kms of photoreal and it barely takes up 25MB so how do you manage to need 56MBs for such a small strip?

On the subject of the scenery libraries whenever I see something that says "you need such and such a library" I just can't be bothered chasing them down but that's just a personal opinion.

On the subject of making scenery the way someone has their system setup (I think it's terrain mesh resolution) can make a huge difference when it comes to terrain mesh. It's always easier to make airports in flat areas than in the mountains :) .

falcon409
August 21st, 2009, 20:00
How did you manage that? I'm working on an airport now that has about 10 square kms of photoreal and it barely takes up 25MB so how do you manage to need 56MBs for such a small strip?
Well, because that zipfile contains all 10 scenery files. . .10 airports, not 1.

On the subject of the scenery libraries whenever I see something that says "you need such and such a library" I just can't be bothered chasing them down but that's just a personal opinion.
As I mentioned in another post, I wouldn't either, again, that's why that download file is so large, it contains all the scenery object libraries needed.

On the subject of making scenery the way someone has their system setup (I think it's terrain mesh resolution) can make a huge difference when it comes to terrain mesh. It's always easier to make airports in flat areas than in the mountains :) .
One thing that was mentioned to me by someone who has been testing some of my sceneries, He is running FSGenesis Mesh and when he turned that off, the elevation problems on many of them went away. Doing freeware scenery, based on the comments of others who are much better than I, getting something that's compatible with every system and setup is unlikely.

anthony31
August 22nd, 2009, 00:49
My apologies falcon. I had assumed it was just me79 you had in that zip (I guess I really should read ALL the posts :) ). I was about to mention that you should package up all your airports into one file and include the libraries in that but as you have already done that... :)

Thank you for sharing your work. Much appreciated.