PDA

View Full Version : Photoreal Terrain Helps

falcon409
August 20th, 2009, 07:59
I wish I had taken a "before" shot of this airport, but you can load up FSX and go to Brewer (0B2) and take a look at the default. Learning to do Photoreal ground textures definitely has it's upside when it comes to sprucing up a default airport. The resolution you save it at has a lot to do with how good it looks, but you can also end up with a huge "photo" file too if you save at too high a res.

Anyway, the difference between what you see in this pic and the original airport is well worth the time it take to tweak the image and lay in autogen to fill. I haven't started the buildings yet, but I'm not far off.

d0mokun
August 20th, 2009, 08:01
That looks very, very neat. Kudos.

Where do you get your imagery from?

MCDesigns
August 20th, 2009, 08:08
Looks great falcon! :ernae: Personally, I would rather have a really large file and the best resolution possible, than the opposite. One of the main reasons I never liked photoscenery in FS9 was the poor resolution.

I am really getting into photoscenery for FSX, but I always have to read the descriptions carefully before buying to make sure it's high res and to see if there is autogen and seasons.

Lionheart
August 20th, 2009, 08:15
Nice work Falcon!

Are you making your own buildings? I didnt realise you were getting heavy into making cool airfields.

Bill

Bone
August 20th, 2009, 08:19
Nice work, keep it up Falcon! My sim-flying is almost exclusively in areas where I have photo-real scenery.

falcon409
August 20th, 2009, 08:58
Let me see if I can get everyone's questions in one post, lol.

d0mokun_ I am using SBuilderX to retrieve the imagery and most of it is coming from Google Earth
Michael_Since I'm really just getting started with this, the question of doing seasonal imagery and how that all works is still something of a mystery, but definitely something I need to look into if I'm going to go much further with all this.
Bill_You know my past experiences with GMax have been less than stellar, lol, no I'm not doing custom buildings, but I can't rule that out anymore, it seems to be the next logical step in the process.
Bone_The one thing I've always disliked about flying around in photoreal scenery was the lack of autogen. Things looked awesome from a few thousand feet, but land at an airport and you might as well be on the moon for the lack of anything to break up the horizon, it just didn't feel realistic. Doing small airports like this, I can use the satellite images, then go back and fill in the autogen and buildings on my own to combine the two and make it as realistic as possible.

Overshoe
August 20th, 2009, 10:46
I have to jump in here and say "That looks real!" and yes, the golf course really is that cheesy :)

Matt Wynn
August 20th, 2009, 10:53
for adding autogen to photoreal falcon try the Autogen Annotator....:wiggle:

kjb
August 20th, 2009, 11:18
Be advised that Google images are copyrighted so you can't legally distribute them. If you'd like, I could put together something similar from the USGS site and send it to you. I have GlobalMapper9 to reproject it to the correct format.

falcon409
August 20th, 2009, 12:05
Be advised that Google images are copyrighted so you can't legally distribute them. If you'd like, I could put together something similar from the USGS site and send it to you. I have GlobalMapper9 to reproject it to the correct format.
Oh did I say Google Earth? My bad. . .I use it so much as a standalone to look for new airports that I just inadvertently spit that out. . .silly me. I would "never" release scenery with a illegal photoimage.

Thanks for the offer though. . .not needed.

gera
August 20th, 2009, 12:25
Very nice Falcon408......I also use Sbuilder and itīs great. Hope to be landing at your field soon.:ernae:

Mithrin
August 20th, 2009, 12:26
Awesome, we'll be very much in need of you once FTX - PNW has been released. Tons of cool strips to do in OzX style! :D Thanks a bunch already for the last few ones you put out.