PDA

View Full Version : OT: rig for storm

Warrant
August 20th, 2009, 07:25
Gera; possible scenario for a new FSX adventure for the Low Lands

Actual situation: This afternoon i studied for a possible new function within the Dutch DoD. With an extra eye i keep watching the "buienradar" for the Netherlands (which is a precipitation radar display freely available on the internet, link for Europe and US below in my signature).

Yesterday a weather alert was issued for the Netherlands. A cold front is approaching from the West, while a warm front (originating from Africa through Spain and France) is present here at current time, ready to collide over our countryside. The windspeeds are increasing, and a radical/sudden temperature drop of at least 10 degrees celcius is predicted (a larger drop of at least 15 is currently on broadcast as well).

All ingredients for a severe storm are present as cumulus nimbus clouds are developing all over. Perhaps we are to witness a few funnel clouds (or land spouts if you will), perhaps worse. At least severe thunderstorms with hail and severe gusts (110 kmh) are included in the weather alert.

Reason enough to rig my stuff outside for storm......

My amateur meteorological heart is pumping :ernae::jump::monkies:

Edit: link for WX rdr NLD: http://www.buienradar.nl/home.aspx?r=vakantie&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur

Bone
August 20th, 2009, 08:28
Just another day made for a liverwurst sandwich at an Amstel pub.

jankees
August 20th, 2009, 08:29
thunder just started here, bring it on!

Warrant
August 20th, 2009, 08:43
A nice CB is developing from the west, visible from my window in East Brabant

gera
August 20th, 2009, 08:48
Interesting and nice pictures.....there are indeed many scenarios for "Weather pertinent Missions" which can be set......letīs see how it goes with the big mammas, the hurricanes, then we can think of other phenomena. If you have Hi Fiīs Active Sky check out what you have there now and let us know how well it is depicted in FSX.......
Your weather sure changes there, I was in Amsterdam on July 22 and it was fine on the 23 it was a bleak rainy day with low temperatures then on August 10 it was pourring when the plane landed at 11:45 PM......Here we also are having crazy weather. It gets very dark as if we are going to get a real big shower, typical of this time, then within minutes it clears and no rain at all. Weather sure has changed a lot in the last three or four years, interesting.

Warrant
August 20th, 2009, 09:03
The edges of the big fella are reaching us now. It starts to turn a bit darkish. Winds are increasing (not mine, but outside :pop4:), and temperature is dropping.

Flying in FSX, passed the first wave in west direction (while using REX, all i got was mild thunderstorms), now flying back towards the east with HiFi AS engaged, flying in some more troublesome weather (percipitation and thunderstorms).

Keep ya posted

Update, hear some rumbling in the sky from the west, temperature keeps dropping and wind still present)

Update: Image of developing Mamatis

Warrant
August 20th, 2009, 10:13
Seems the first batch of grumpy weather is passing us North.

Me and my neighbours observed a small tuba cloud several km's North of us, with no way to tell if it hit ground or not.
So far, it seems to be a mild storm, just multiple rumble sounds with severe flashes North of our location. Just now it starts to rain.

We need to watch the aftermatch tomorrow, but i think the wild things predicted will not happen (lucky us).

Unless the situation changes dramatically, i rest.

Here are some more pic's