PDA

View Full Version : hp laptop replacing hard drive help or tips.

olaf1924
August 19th, 2009, 21:13
I need help or tips for replacing my harddrive for a hp dv8000. The unit now has a 80gig and would like to increase to a 320gig.:isadizzy:

harleyman
August 19th, 2009, 22:34
What you need to do is look at the HDD and make sure its not built with any fancy hold down hardware from HP...If it is then you have to purchase a HDD from HP....

Their biggest for that model is 100 gigs I think....

http://www.frc-tech.com/docs/manuals/SG/hpcompaq/MSG%20-%20HP%20Pavilion%20dv8000.pdf

If its a regular HDD, then
Have a look at it and then look at NewEgg under Laptops and match one up for it...

txnetcop
August 20th, 2009, 05:16
Almost any of the SATA 1.5GB hard drives will work, but you will have to do a little homework and check the literal size of the 320GB SATA 1.5 you want to put in there as some of the Hitachi and Samsung drives are too large to let you close the hard drive cover properly. However you should be able to find a decent third part hard drive to fit the hard drive frame. Hard drive access is easy on these units. Be careful with the hard drive frame because if you buy a third party drive and not an HP standard these do not come with a hard drive frame to secure the hard drive.

You are handicapped though by a Class 5 video card the ATI 200M has very poor graphics capability for gaming. You did not specify which of the dv8000 series notebook you have but most came with this video card.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Radeon-Xpress-200M.2175.0.html
Ted

olaf1924
August 20th, 2009, 06:52
Thank you for the response. I use this laptop for work and I have noticed the harddrive making sounds the last two weeks.

fliger747
August 21st, 2009, 13:34
Just make sure you have the OEM software, as some of the driver on laptops tend to be propiitary to the point that they are not available as seperate downloads etc, from anybody... Sound or video drivers can fall in this arena... My recomendation... slip all the mounting junk off and take it down to your local computer geeks and get one of the same brand, just bigger.....

Cheers: t.

olaf1924
August 21st, 2009, 17:14
Thank you guys.:ernae: