PDA

View Full Version : Version 1.06 Dino's Tomcat

wilycoyote4
August 19th, 2009, 15:14
http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/2009/08/f-14d-tomcat-update-105-with-completely.html

New release Version 1.06 of the Tomcat. Changes below ---

VERSION 1.06
- Fixes ramp animation and canopy texture glitch of version 1.05
- Missing polys from new HUD structure

VERSION 1.05
- Completely new (and hopefully much more realistic) flight model.
- Fixed missing shadows from some part (it was a really weird bug in the compiler...)
- Fixed shadowing issues on tails and rudders (finally)
- Fixed canopy reflection mismatch with fusalage
- Changed HUD geometry - now it is closer to the actual F-14D
- Added much more visible geometry to the VC while looking back (for Track IR/ freetrack users)
- Miscellaneous VC geometry cleanup
- Added BuNo Plate in VC (missing)
- Minor fix to reheat effect (still no modeled flames - see v1.00)
- Added a simple PDF with basic documentation

Have fun!

Flyboy208
August 19th, 2009, 15:44
Let's hope all of the recent repaints are compliant with the new version.

Mike :running:

MenendezDiego
August 19th, 2009, 15:57
They are, and the revised HUD modeling is sweet!

wilycoyote4
August 19th, 2009, 16:17

The screenys show one new paint add-on in DX10 with no bloom from the pakage of 12 paints, paint VF-31 AJ103.

BOOM
August 19th, 2009, 16:25
I really admire Dinos dedication to the community and his project,I've paid big $$ for things in the past that weren't near as good as this and not a fraction supported as Dinos project has been,

Dino all I can say is Thank You very much and I'll be first in line to purchase your first payware product.

Cheers:medals:

fliger747
August 19th, 2009, 16:30
I keep forgeting how irritating Rapidshare is.....

t.

wilycoyote4
August 19th, 2009, 16:45
IMHO, the speed brake has been improved.

waka172rg
August 19th, 2009, 16:48
I keep forgeting how irritating Rapidshare is.....

t.
Yes can you please put on flightsim.com please Dino:wiggle:
Thanks for your beufifull jet:gameon:

Bone
August 19th, 2009, 16:51
I really admire Dinos dedication to the community and his project,I've paid big $$ for things in the past that weren't near as good as this and not a fraction supported as Dinos project has been,

Dino all I can say is Thank You very much and I'll be first in line to purchase your first payware product.

His dedication is remarkable.:guinness::icon29::ernae:

yago9
August 19th, 2009, 17:12

The old ones are not ..i get a shiny blue glow with the old texture..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/yago9/F14DA106a.jpg

wilycoyote4
August 19th, 2009, 18:01
In version 1.0 Dino added specular layer with following comment ----

VERSION 1.00

Added specular mapping for all the main textures of the external model. Specular mapping allows some neat per-pixel shining effects. For repainters: the surfaces are encoded with a specular mapping power of 30. A good starting point for you spec mapping is: 1 - Take your diffuse textures (that is the "regular" ones) 2 - decrease Lightness by 50 units (or even more) 3 - add a unform 64-64-64 alpha channel (higher value means sharper reflection) 4 - save as "_spec" and convert to DXT with imagetool NOTE: as existing repaint may not have specular mapping, the default specular will be loaded instead... this will probably lead to strange effects so you may want to make a backup of the existing installation in case you want to roll back.
This may help if you are not up to date.

VFR Reviews
August 19th, 2009, 18:05
Yay! Thanks mate!

I think I'd better wait until these updates slow down a bit to review it, though :ernae:

wilycoyote4
August 19th, 2009, 18:25
Gear up on a takeoff just before pointing the nose into the sky. Flight control has changed for the better, IMHO.

JamesChams
August 19th, 2009, 18:46
Mr. Lucian "Yago9,"

The old ones are not ..i get a shiny blue glow with a old texture..Would you consider converting them so that they do work, again, with the newer model(s)? When you find the time...
Gracie! :wavey:

yago9
August 19th, 2009, 20:21
Mr. Lucian "Yago9,"

Would you consider converting them so that they do work, again, with the newer model(s)? When you find the time...
Gracie! :wavey:
Not really.I was just curious to try an old one ..I don,t think this updates are final yet,if i have to put some time and efforts into it ,I need to be sure it ,s for the final version...I use only one texture for the last few updates, the default paint.

noddy
August 19th, 2009, 23:28
Damn and I have just downloaded version 1.00 :icon_lol:

Dino Cattaneo
August 20th, 2009, 04:15
All,

thanks for your appreciation.
I have immediately sent the file to flightsim.com after release - but it takes one or two days before it is available.

The major improvement in this release is the flight model - I think it is way better than the previous one - performance is very close to the Natops indications and operational limits are much more realistic...and it should "feel" better.

Sorry for such a quick update - but flight model really needed improvement, and I was in the right mood to do it...

noddy
August 20th, 2009, 04:17
Many thanks Dino for all your work on this.

mfitch
August 20th, 2009, 12:48
The download just finished for me. Too bad my afternoon is not free. A couple days ago I took v 1.0 for a quick ride through Lake Clark Pass at about 4000 ft and as fast as I could make the turns. It is a lot of fun to fly.

deathfromafar
August 20th, 2009, 13:35
Great job Dino!

MenendezDiego
August 20th, 2009, 13:47
If anyone missed the topic, here are 12 repaints for her, http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=21129

Diego

wilycoyote4
August 20th, 2009, 13:53
DX9, no bloom, a paint which displays at this setting fairly well, anyway, I guess painters will succeed with the specular layer.

wilycoyote4
August 20th, 2009, 21:25
The old ones are not ..i get a shiny blue glow with the old texture..
Dunno, I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Three screenys show BananaBob's Grim Reaper paint ---taking off ---and yago9's Tomcatters ---- with refuel probe out, both DX9 no bloom.

The 3rd is yago9's Tomcatters in DX10 no bloom.

Seem pretty good to me.

italoc
August 21st, 2009, 05:55

I second these words 100% :applause::applause:

Ciao
Italo

Zaku
August 21st, 2009, 06:59
DX9, no bloom, a paint which displays at this setting fairly well, anyway, I guess painters will succeed with the specular layer.

Just use my textures' specular maps until other painters release scheme-specific ones. They don't include markings, so no traces of the default paint will show up in the reflections and they'll work with any repaints.

peter12213
August 21st, 2009, 07:06
Great improvement but the only thing for me is the burners, will there be another update or addon for new afterburners at all?

piperarcherpilot
August 21st, 2009, 12:03
Anybody know why I may be getting great framerates - but - at the same time some odd stuttering?

It only happens when there's weight-on-wheels. As soon as I lift off, it's smooth as silk, up until when I touch down, and again the stutters return, and the frame rate is jumpy. And, it happens in all views (VC, tower, outside spot, etc). It happens with the default and add-on paints. Also, its the only aircraft that does this, both freeware, default, and complex payware.

It makes me think its got something to do with a system, animation or texture (or something) thats activated when the plane is on the ground.

Prior to the 1.06, I'd get an occasional stutter with the Tomcat, but nothing like this. I'm baffled :isadizzy: I've tried adjusting graphics settings, and all the classic tweaks to the .cfg, but then again, its the only plane with this 'problem' so I shouldnt have to adjust anything in theory.

Any ideas?

MenendezDiego
August 21st, 2009, 12:07
I know it sounds crazy...but fly with the tool bar open (do this by hitting Alt)

This alone has stopped all stutters for me

wilycoyote4
August 21st, 2009, 12:14
"outside spot" doesn't work well, stutters, use locked spot, may help

piperarcherpilot
August 21st, 2009, 12:15
Hi Diego! Actually, I've tried this too cause I remember you (or someone) posting something about it before... unfortunately it didnt work.

Wily, I agree. I think the stutters are still there, just not as noticable.

It seems like something about the Tomcat that my system just doesnt like - but only when its got weight on the wheels (or is close to the ground - WoW could be a coincidence, I guess).

peter12213
August 21st, 2009, 12:17
I get this problem too, I have no idea what causes it though!

piperarcherpilot
August 21st, 2009, 12:20
Dino: if you have time to comment, are there any tags for something to activate only when the jet is on the ground?

MenendezDiego
August 21st, 2009, 12:22
That's too bad it doesn't help Piper. Regardless though, for everything else, it's a great fps booster, and generally stops the stutters

Lateral-G
August 21st, 2009, 14:26
So, what paints work with the latest version (1.06)?

I'm assuming all the paints I've acquired for the 0.94 won't work.....

-G-

Lateral-G
August 21st, 2009, 15:03
All,

The major improvement in this release is the flight model - I think it is way better than the previous one - performance is very close to the Natops indications and operational limits are much more realistic...and it should "feel" better.

Thanks Dino.

You are right. This FM is waaayyy better. Much more precise. I like it! :ernae:

-G-

Dino Cattaneo
August 22nd, 2009, 02:52
Again, thanks a lot for the appreciation. Few quick replies:
- No further change to the model texture planned. A procedure to make quick (but effective) specular maps for the model was given on my blog.
- No special "weight on wheels" trigger or anything similar... May be the complex model generates a complex shadow? I don't know. No issue on my system.

I will not be much focused on the Tomcat in the near future, so no updates are planned (except possibly a minor fix to a cockpit geometry glitch I've just spotted). I'll be working mostly on the F-35 for some time. Further updates are possible after the F-35 completition. My priorities would be:

- Fix bugs in the VC
- Offer modeled A/b again (0.99 sources are lost due to HD failure)
- Offer multiple weapons configurations
- RIO vc

But honestly I don't know if and when I'll have time to work on so many things...

Lateral-G
August 22nd, 2009, 14:09
Again, thanks a lot for the appreciation. Few quick replies:
- No further change to the model texture planned. A procedure to make quick (but effective) specular maps for the model was given on my blog.
- No special "weight on wheels" trigger or anything similar... May be the complex model generates a complex shadow? I don't know. No issue on my system.

I will not be much focused on the Tomcat in the near future, so no updates are planned (except possibly a minor fix to a cockpit geometry glitch I've just spotted). I'll be working mostly on the F-35 for some time. Further updates are possible after the F-35 completition. My priorities would be:

- Fix bugs in the VC
- Offer modeled A/b again (0.99 sources are lost due to HD failure)
- Offer multiple weapons configurations
- RIO vc

But honestly I don't know if and when I'll have time to work on so many things...

Dino,

No worries here. What you have given us so far is more than enough to keep at least me happy for a long time to come.

You work on whatever your heart desires.....

cheers,

-G-

JamesChams
August 22nd, 2009, 14:24
Gracie Mr. Dino Cattaneo! :applause:

peter12213
August 22nd, 2009, 15:55
All the repaints work for me, no problems at all!