PDA

View Full Version : Autogen question

falcon409
August 19th, 2009, 07:40
This is a shot of the default airport Matinicus off the east coast of Maine. The default airport boundary is in place but there's nothing else there so I decided to correct that. You can make out the actual satellite position and orientation of the rwy to the left, which I moved in AFX. What I want to do is remove the default boundary, have the autogen return to that area and open up the actual airport location in it's new position. Using SBuilderX, I made an exclude poly for the airport boundary and it worked great, but the open space remains. shouldn't the autogen return to that area once the boundary is eliminated?

MCDesigns
August 19th, 2009, 08:01
Technically it should. Are there objects placed near it? Sometimes, the boundary around an object is larger than the object and it excludes autogen. Also check your autogen settings. Lastly, there are times that a tile doesn't have autogen placed on it in certain areas, you can check using the autogen annotator.

I had a similar issue placing default flocks of birds, they took out a big chunk of trees.

EDIT:I just excluded the airport background in ADE and the autogen shows fine.

falcon409
August 19th, 2009, 08:17
Technically it should. Are there objects placed near it? Sometimes, the boundary around an object is larger than the object and it excludes autogen. Also check your autogen settings. Lastly, there are times that a tile doesn't have autogen placed on it in certain areas, you can check using the autogen annotator.

I had a similar issue placing default flocks of birds, they took out a big chunk of trees.
Well, I kinda figured the autogen should return also, I do have that small exclude near the beach area that takes out the AB, but I wouldn't think it would affect that entire area. What is the autogen annotator and where do I find it?

Thanks!

Geeeze, just noticed I hadn't posted the pic, lol. This is with the AB in place to show the area I am eliminating. The slightly visible rwy of the actual rwy is to the left.

MCDesigns
August 19th, 2009, 08:24
Hi falcon, see my edit, eliminated the airport background with ADE, no prob. The autogen tool is in the autogen SDK

falcon409
August 19th, 2009, 08:41
Hi falcon, see my edit, eliminated the airport background with ADE, no prob. The autogen tool is in the autogen SDK
Hmmm, ok. . .here's a pic of the new area and the hole left from the default (I had an elevation problem as you can see on the left, but that's been corrected). The exclude I used is just a small triangle on one corner of the the old AB near the beach end. Interesting.

MCDesigns
August 19th, 2009, 08:58
falcon, delete the ab exclude you have now and see if this one makes a difference

falcon409
August 19th, 2009, 09:15
falcon, delete the ab exclude you have now and see if this one makes a difference
Nope, actually made it worse, lol. Now the original rwy has moved back to the default location (which is way off based on the satellite positioning) and the default AB is back in place. I think I'm going to work on learning the annotator, fill the area with vegetation and go that way.

Thanks Michael.

MCDesigns
August 19th, 2009, 09:34
OOPPS! Sorry falcon, I zipped up the ADE file instead of the exclude, sorry, try this one.

falcon409
August 19th, 2009, 09:45
OOPPS! Sorry falcon, I zipped up the ADE file instead of the exclude, sorry, try this one.
I thought that was kinda weird, lol. Ok, still do difference from the one I did as you can see.
That small an area, won't take much to fill it back up really. A few minutes and it'll be full of trees again.

MCDesigns
August 19th, 2009, 09:51
There must be something in your AFX or SBuilder file that is blocking them as it works on my system, could be what you used to eliminate the runway. As for the autogen tool, since it works for me, there is obviously autogen in that area, so there is nothing the autogen tool can do.

falcon409
August 19th, 2009, 10:04
There must be something in your AFX or SBuilder file that is blocking them as it works on my system, could be what you used to eliminate the runway. As for the autogen tool, since it works for me, there is obviously autogen in that area, so there is nothing the autogen tool can do.
I went with a quick fix which was to load it up with default veggies, lol. All ready for the scenery objects now. Thanks for the assist Michael.

falcon409
August 19th, 2009, 10:46
Ok, complete. The aerial views I saw, even close up showed very little if anything other than a strip and possibly one small building, so I added some eye candy, lol. There is a small boat dock area on the opposite side of the Island, so I added a few boats and dock area as well.
For the time it takes to do these, if nothing else, it takes it out of that "plain vanilla" default look and adds a bit of character.