PDA

View Full Version : Milviz/FSD P-38 Preview Video Posted!

Gibbage
August 18th, 2009, 03:31
OK simmers! On my last P-38 update, I inquired if anyone was interested in a video of the P-38 over the standard screenshots, and got a very positive response. So here ya go!

A few notes. Its not the final model, so this video does not represent the final product. A pilot is planned, so no ghost plane. Also even more details are planned. My FSX install is rather bare, so the scenery is not the best. I also forgot to add shadow. DOH!

For people concerned with performance. Again, my FSX is rather stock. In fact, I deleted my FSX.cfg and started from scratch just before I shot this video. I was getting 50FPS+ in the Grand Canyon, and solid 30's in Frieday Harbor at 1280x720, FSAA, Antiscopic and everything but clouds and autogen cranked. I have an Intel Q6600, RAID-0 (hurts performance) and an ATI 4850 with 1GB of RAM.

Thats while I was recording the video!!! Also, the P-38 is not yet fully optimized. People with good systems can expect very solid frame rates. I was unable to record the engine sounds due to my sound card not liking Fraps, so I put in some music.

Also, I havent done video editing in over 5 years. So im a bit rusty. Please forgive me :kilroy:

Without further delay, I give you the FSD/Milviz P-38 Lightning! A new standard for warbirds. Cockpit video will be later. Its 4:30AM and I need some sleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH1eQ3wn9nY

jmig
August 18th, 2009, 03:40
Looks very nice Kevin. My dad worked on the radio of those aircraft in WWII. He said they were called "fork-tailed devils" by the Japanese. I can see why.

Kiwikat
August 18th, 2009, 03:43
IDK about the song choice, but the P-38 is looking great. :ernae::medals:

Sideshow
August 18th, 2009, 05:10
Looking very good, can't wait for this one!

MCDesigns
August 18th, 2009, 05:25
Thanks Kevin (love the music!)

Any chance the erratic prop animation will be fixed before release?

Roadburner440
August 18th, 2009, 06:50
The prop animation is being fixed as we speak. I reminded them about it last night after I tested the latest build of the aircraft. So it should be fixed for the next round of screens that get posted.

papab
August 18th, 2009, 07:01
Very Very nice WIP:applause::applause:
Looking forward to adding this beauty to my Hanger!!!

Rick

MudMarine
August 18th, 2009, 09:17
:jump::applause::ernae:

Bjoern
August 18th, 2009, 09:26
a) Got a little excited, because I confused the "P" with a "T". :kilroy:

b) The only aviation video worthy for this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb4K10UUPq0

Rezabrya
August 18th, 2009, 11:35
I think you are right Bjoern. That song fits the Swiss video so well. Although the song wasn't the best choice for the P-38... that's not what we're watching the video for right? The P-38 is looking excellent guys, keep it up!

Roger
August 18th, 2009, 12:41
Looks like a stock FsX install without "gradual transition" in spot view (always best for videos) and no aircraft shadow enabled.
However the P38 itself looks fantastic:applause::engel016:

deathfromafar
August 18th, 2009, 12:50
Looks very nice Kevin. My dad worked on the radio of those aircraft in WWII. He said they were called "fork-tailed devils" by the Japanese. I can see why.

I thought that was what the German's called them that, "Der Gabelschwanz Teufel" . Not sure what the Japanese equivalent phonetic would look/sound like.

Looking good.

Gibbage
August 18th, 2009, 14:03
Like I said, its my first video. As for the music, you cant please everyone. If Fraps could record the engine sounds, I would have just that. There is not a single song in the world that would of made everyone happy because it all depends on the individual, so I made something I liked.

Roger
August 18th, 2009, 14:14
Like I said, its my first video. As for the music, you cant please everyone. If Fraps could record the engine sounds, I would have just that. There is not a single song in the world that would of made everyone happy because it all depends on the individual, so I made something I liked.

....but the P38 itself looks fantastic....(I think that's all that really matters):engel016:

Henry
August 18th, 2009, 14:17
way to go!
you cant please everyone so please yourself:applause:
fraps will record engine sounds
but music is better
still a great video
cheers
H

Gibbage
August 18th, 2009, 14:21
way to go!
you cant please everyone so please yourself:applause:
fraps will record engine sounds
but music is better
still a great video
cheers
H

For some reason, fraps only tries to record my mic. I cant get it to record my sound output. I will try a few things.

PRB
August 18th, 2009, 16:02
I thought that was what the German's called them that, "Der Gabelschwanz Teufel" . Not sure what the Japanese equivalent phonetic would look/sound like.

Looking good.

I think the IJN pilots called it " :eek: aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: "

Well, I liked the choice of music, and I liked the video, and I can't wait for the plane to be released. So there!

I wish the nose wheel went up really fast, compared to the mains, like the real ones, because that's cool. But I don't think I'll get too bent out of shape over it. After all, I only ever saw that on White Lightning, and that was a racer mod, so I'm not sure all WW-II Lightnings did that.

Gibbage
August 18th, 2009, 16:41
Japanese called it "The silent death" as the GE turbo's muted the exhaust noise. Having seen 3 P-38's in the air at the same time, I can tell you for sure that you REALLY cant hear them! You know when a P-51 takes off, or is near, but a P-38 will pass you before you hear anything!!! Also Saburo Sakai called the P-38 simply "unfair". It was faster, climbed higher, dove better then anything the Japanese had. To put it bluntly, they could not touch a well flown P-38.

Lets also not mix this with the F4U, the "The whistling death" named by the Japanese for the noise it makes in a dive.

glennc
August 18th, 2009, 17:04
As much as I liked that video, I'd like to see at least part of it from the pilot's view. I am looking forward to that airplane.

Glenn

Bone
August 18th, 2009, 19:28
a) Got a little excited, because I confused the "P" with a "T". :kilroy:

b) The only aviation video worthy for this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb4K10UUPq0

Jeezus! My face was sweating after watching this one.

Nice P-38, Gibbage.

Gibbage
August 18th, 2009, 21:05
Your wish is my command! Here is a video from the cockpit, IN HD!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm4zbv4htsA&feature=channel_page

2Low
August 19th, 2009, 03:36
Mr.Gibbage it is absolutely imperitive that you get off this forum and finish that P-38 cause I needs it now!!! Just kidding! Off you go:running: finish up! Pleeeeeeze, I'll give you two of these:medals: and one of this:icon29:.

Seriously though, it looks and sounds great. There is a place reserved in my hanger all polished up awaiting that thing of death and beauty.

Gibbage
August 19th, 2009, 04:52
My job is done. Its all up to the programmers to make her fly good. Thats why im doing the marketing blitz ;)

2Low
August 19th, 2009, 05:20
You got a whip? Just thinkin' out loud:icon_lol:.

JorisVandenBerghe
August 19th, 2009, 07:25
Those sounds remind me of the SkyUnlimited P-38. Is it possible it uses the same soundpack ? IIRC, David C. Copley did the sounds on that plane too, so...

Terrific video's Kevin! A beautiful machine...
Now all you need is the programmers that make her fly good and Nick Churchill to wet our appetite with some nice screenshots :ernae:!
Congratulations, Milviz/FSD and everyone involved in this project.

dcc
August 19th, 2009, 08:54
Those sounds remind me of the SkyUnlimited P-38. Is it possible it uses the same soundpack ? IIRC, David C. Copley did the sounds on that plane too, so...

Now all you need is the programmers that make her fly good and Nick Churchill to wet our appetite with some nice screenshots :ernae:!

hopefully they also remind you of my freeware P-38s too :d I gave permission to both SU and AH to use an earlier version of my '38 sound set. I am doing the sounds for this P-38 and drawing heavily upon my existing library of '38 sounds but there are many new subtle features in it as well.

- dcc

MudMarine
August 19th, 2009, 09:34
Man, I'm going to be one happy Jack when I get this go buggy!!:applause::icon_lol:

Gibbage
August 19th, 2009, 16:18

Ya. The SU P-38 is my model also, but this one is native FSX and about 4x the detail. As DCC said, we are using his sound sets, but we programmed directional sound in this one, so sounds from the front of the aircraft sound different then the back. Its a very cool effect and you can hear it in the video.

Im very proud of how my baby is developing. The team is doing an outstanding job, and this will definitely be a product worth every hour I put in it.

MudMarine
August 19th, 2009, 17:25
Couple of video things I noticed............:engel016: Take off procedure: Flaps up unless a short field take of is necessary, then set at 1/2. Open radiator flaps to full. According to the pilots manual.:engel016:

Gibbage
August 19th, 2009, 22:51
Yep. Your correct on both counts. That was just me being lazy. You didnt even call out my 180 turn mid runway? ;) I had a bad bounce on landing and just wanted to get back up and try again. Control's are still a little sloppy and its getting fine tuned.

MudMarine
August 20th, 2009, 06:45
Well Gib, I just didn't want to do that to you, it's not good to point out every mistake! :icon_lol: Just kidding!!:ernae: It's an excellent video and I enjoyed it! The point is the plane!! I've just been studying my P-38 pilots manual for far too long! I've got to do something while I wait?!:icon_lol::engel016:

Bjoern
August 20th, 2009, 10:18
Jeezus! My face was sweating after watching this one.

I know. Mine does that too everytime I watch that video.

You simply gotta love the Swiss Airforce.