PDA

View Full Version : Quick Education

Joe Perkel
August 17th, 2009, 14:24
Hello,

I met Ickie recently, and an off hand remark led to the discussion of this web-site and PC based flight sims in general.

Briefly, I am an inactive CFI (renewing biannually via on line FIRC), but I am out of the loop on what is available these days.

I would like to be able (if possible) to simulate behavior characteristics of a WWI replica with various propeller / power-plant combinations. The inference here being in a better position to make appropriate choices early on.

Available time to peruse this site is limited, so a consensus of quick leads from those knowledgeable is what I am after.

Thank you!

Joe

Miami. Fl

VFR Reviews
August 17th, 2009, 14:33
Hello :)

My I ask why you are particularly interested in WWI? There is very little realistic WWI products available for Flight Sim X. However, there is a new simulator which seems quite good.

http://riseofflight.com/

djscoo
August 17th, 2009, 14:53
Hello :)

My I ask why you are particularly interested in WWI?
Check out his website, that may explain a few things.

In regards to Mr. Perkel's question, Flight Simulator X uses ".air" files to determine power, top speed, flight characteristics, etc... As a result, you could take a model of a certain aircraft, and modify certain characteristics of the ".air" file (It's more complicated than it sounds) and simulate the performance changes based on different engines or propellers. If you have the information, it can be replicated in Flightsim, it is simply a matter of learning to do it yourself, or getting someone to help you out with it. I don't know of a "Sopwith Baby" for Flight Simulator X, but there are several more common WW1 aircraft currently available for free.

Also purely for fun, Rise Of Flight is an excellent simulator for WW1 aerial combat.
:ernae:

Milton Shupe
August 17th, 2009, 15:21
Hi Joe,

Your question really relates to flight characteristics of an aircraft, its conrol surfaces, engine, props, and weight distribution.

The Flight Dynamics are set in an aircraft "flight model". If you can provide exact information, you can get close but it is not a simulator to model necessarily behavior changes with subtle changes to parameters to exacting responses.

One person here who understands the internals of the sim's flight dynamics engine and the aerodynamics calculations, Jerry "Sparks" Beckwith, can probably answer your question best. He frequents the Flight Dynamics forum here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

VFR Reviews
August 17th, 2009, 15:32
Check out his website, that may explain a few things.

Ah, ok- thanks :ernae:

Joe Perkel
August 17th, 2009, 16:04
Flight Simulator X uses ".air" files to determine power, top speed, flight characteristics, etc... As a result, you could take a model of a certain aircraft, and modify certain characteristics of the ".air" file (It's more complicated than it sounds) and simulate the performance changes based on different engines or propellers.

Good, so take a Camel or Pup sim (sure to be one of those), and manipulate these files as warranted. A very fine lead, thank you!

One person here who understands the internals of the sim's flight dynamics engine and the aerodynamics calculations, Jerry "Sparks" Beckwith, can probably answer your question best. He frequents the Flight Dynamics forum here:

I see now that I posted in the wrong place. A quick look at the threads and as per DJ's reply above, I see that this is another skill set yet to be tackled. Too much on my plate at the moment, but I now have an idea on how to proceed. I like "Sparks" avatar, a guy like that simply has to know his stuff!

Thank you Gentlemen!

Henry
August 17th, 2009, 16:17
but I now have an idea on how to proceed. I like "Sparks" avatar, a guy like that simply has to know his stuff!

Thank you Gentlemen!
he certainly does mind you i thought mine looked intelligent also:icon_lol:
Welcome and thanks for the pic:guinness:
there are a few who could help you get started
H

jmig
August 17th, 2009, 16:24
he certainly does mind you i thought mine looked intelligent also:icon_lol:
Welcome and thanks for the pic:guinness:
there are a few who could help you get started
H

:icon_lol: @ Henry

Welcome to SOH Joe, seeing as how no one else took the time to do so. :mixedsmi: