PDA

View Full Version : Gun needed! for a WW1 fighter

Cowboy1968
August 17th, 2009, 11:38
I have an aircraft that i found here at the Outhouse that I am working on a conversion kit for. It is the Thomas-Morse Scout S.4 that the US used as a trainer during 1917. I am basing my conversion off a "combat versin" that was planned by the Army.

In this version of the Scout, The US Army Air Service planned to re-engine the bird with a 113 hp La Rhone 9J rotary engine replacing the origenal La Rhone 9C of 80 hp, or the Gnome Mono of 100 hp. The aircraft would have been armed with a Vickers machine gun. In the test model that was flown in the States, the aircraft's main speed was brought up from 100 mph to 115 mph. It also could reach a higher ceiling then the earlier models. The Combat Scout could reach around 19,000 ft while the earlier models were restricted to 15,000 ft.

The model I found was one I found here. I replaced the engine in .air and tweaked fuel amounts here and there. The model lacked a pilot, so I used the raf_pilot (I don't remember where i found it), but I am seeking a US pilot to use instead or hopefully someone has a made a pilot that looks like World War I, that they could forward to me.

Also as you can tell from the pics, I used the 1tube model to put a gun on the bird, but I was also wondering if anyone has made a model of a World War I aircraft Machine gun i could put it? If so could you please forward me the gun model and the .dp for it.

Thank you in advance.
Cowboy

oldwheat
August 17th, 2009, 13:19
I did a stand-alone version of the Aerocrate pilot which is in the downloads here & I believe that the link works.

miamieagle
August 17th, 2009, 15:09
Its here http://aerocrate.com/home.html

Cowboy1968
August 17th, 2009, 16:10
thanks to oldwheat, I have the pilot in place......still searching for someone who can help me with a stand alone Vickers mg

Jagdflieger
August 18th, 2009, 02:59
There is a Lewis MG available. I'm not sure about a Vickers. No readme file in the Lewis gun so I don't know who the author is so I can't help further.

oldwheat
August 18th, 2009, 06:11
The lewis guns were included in Buddha13's Walrus but they seem to have disappeared from the download. They can be found in Peperez' Romanian S55a here @ SOH however. Don't know of any vickers guns. I would be willing to come up with an FSDS Scasm source file for one if someone would be willing to compile it into a .bgl with MDLC ( I know, lots of acronyms :icon_lol:). My PC is unwilling to do the job in it's present state of affairs but it's not 'rocket surgery to accomplish.

Cowboy1968
August 18th, 2009, 08:36
I will convert it to the BGL if you could produce the model. and I would be appriciated

Finn
August 18th, 2009, 11:00
Hi Cowboy.
Actually the Thomas-Morse never made it to combat during WW1, but it was NOT intended to be armed with Vickers guns, but with US invented Marlin .30 cal. machineguns. I have never seen sounds nor reprocuctions of those anywhere, unfortunately. The machine was actually often used by Hollywood to recreate allied figthers on the screen, see "Heroes of the Sky" from 1929 as an example (at least that was what it was called here in Europe)
Finn

Cowboy1968
August 18th, 2009, 11:08
Finn

Yes I know it never made it to combat. The conversion i am working on was based on a proposal made by the AAS. Vickers and Lewis guns are the next best things that i can use to the Marlin.

Jagd

Thank you for helping me with the Lewis gun.

So, guys how is the old girl looking with a new set of teeth

oldwheat
August 18th, 2009, 15:07
Cowboy1968: PM me.

oldwheat
August 18th, 2009, 20:24
The scasm file is sent. You may have to play with the scale numbers. If it doesn't show up it may be because it is too tiny to easily see. It may be prudent to start with a scale of 0.1 & add zeros till it is the proper size.

Cowboy1968
August 19th, 2009, 02:11
Thanks to the help of Oldwheat and Jagd, this old girl is ready for a pilot to climb in and do some real damage......

She is now armed with proper guns

Thanks guys.

oldwheat
August 19th, 2009, 17:34
I just uploaded the machine gun that I hashed together for Cowboy1968. He did all the real work compiling the bgl.

Jagdflieger
August 20th, 2009, 03:33
Thanks OW and Cowboy! That'll be a great addition to the WW I armory.

Does it come with synchronization gear too? :mixedsmi:

Cowboy,

Great looking teeth on that TM Scout!

Cowboy1968
August 20th, 2009, 20:51
like every girl that has improved her looks.........here is her before and after shots