PDA

View Full Version : O/t computer self connecting to internet

Fibber
August 16th, 2009, 19:51
This is off topic but I am reaching for straws here. I have a Dell desktop running window XPsp2 with IE 7.0 Suddenly my computer is self connecting to the internet and the MSN homepage. I have run spybot/adaware/Norton AV with negative results. I have also emptied all temp folder and internet history and it still happens. Any ideas welcomed.

Bill Kestell
August 16th, 2009, 20:16
OK ... it's either because it's lonely and you are NOT paying it enough attention (a "thank you" or "my, you sure look nice" couldn't hurt). Either that or I suspect "GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE" (note: I'm not specifying which government).

Personally, I'd start sleeping with a loaded gun under my pillow ... years ago, as a young child, I saw a TV show on Science Ficton Theater about a computer that walled a guy up in a glass block enclosure ... honest to god ...IT DID! Damned computers anyway ... can't trust 'em ... all them wires, diodes, caps, resistors, PCB (printed circuit boards) and the other kind of PCB's too ... hell, who knows what they're plotting when you "think" they're off. I know better, Ole' Buddy! I sleep with an aluminium cap I made so them computers in outer space can't read my mind ... or, in my sleep, plantin' ideas in my head (don't have any ideas of my own that I know of and no point in startin' any time soon either).

If that don't work ... shoot the sum bich a couple of times ... that always works for me!:pop4::isadizzy::isadizzy:

p14u2nv
August 16th, 2009, 21:10
Which OS Fibber?

Fibber
August 17th, 2009, 04:09
BK; is that the aluminum cap that is made of aluminum foil and has the pointed peaks or the round pie plate type? I have both!:icon_lol:

P14; it is win XP sp2

Fibber
August 17th, 2009, 05:56
May have found the problem. I narrowed it to this was happening whenever my wifes' laptop was on. Sure enough, she had a "Free public Wi-Fi" in the wireless internet connections. (Our laptops connect through my desktop when at home.) This was seeking other computers and access to the internet. Removed it and Bingo!!!!!!

Also, the wireless keyboard was jammed under the screen compressing the "jump function" buttons on top. FUBAR on this !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I should have used the KISS theology before I went "technical" on this.

Dirtman
August 17th, 2009, 06:29
This is off topic but I am reaching for straws here. I have a Dell desktop running window XPsp2 with IE 7.0 Suddenly my computer is self connecting to the internet and the MSN homepage. I have run spybot/adaware/Norton AV with negative results. I have also emptied all temp folder and internet history and it still happens. Any ideas welcomed.

Yo Fibber;

Smells like you might have a bug .... let's start there:

a) update Norton, Spybot & ADAWARE
b) disconnect from the internet (turn off modem or unplug cable to PC)
c) turn off "System Restore"
d) run: Norton, Spybot & ADAWARE (run them separately in that order)

Did you find any bugs now?

e) turn on "System Restore"

UNINSTALL ALL TOOLBARS
- these are DANGEROUS & cause more problems then they are worth.
- they contain BHO's (Browser Helper Objects) BHO's draw bugs to you like a bright light on a hot summer night.

*At this point your problem is most likely solved.

- But for added insurance: defrag and overwrite the "free space" on your harddrive. (more on this below)

I've got a few more suggestions:

1) Upgrade XP to SP3
- You're 2 years behind the times Bro; SP3 is necessary upgrade. JUST DO IT.... it won't hurt at all .... I promise ... plus get any other applicable MS updates you may have missed.
I have found the only people that have problems with MS updates are those who have heavily "tweaked" XP. This is true in the majority of cases.

NOTE: I have personally chosen not to upgrade to IE8. I originally installed it but noticed a system wide slowdown afterward. I downgraded back to IE7. Besides ... I only use IE7 for MS updates.

2) Install Firefox & set as default browser. (IE will now be your back-up browser & used for MS Updates)
- during installation choose YES - IMPORT FAVORITES FROM I.E. (all yer Fav's will now be in Firefox under "Bookmarks". Same function - different name)

- Firefox is the fastest, safest & most popular browser in the world - USE IT. It works GREAT!

Get Firefox here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html

Why is I.E. dangerous and slow?
Because it's a MS product & thus built using MS code. There are billions of bots & bugs on the internet just looking for MS code to attach themselves to.
- this is where BHO's serve to make a bad situation even worse ... they wave a big red flag & say: "I'M RIGHT HERE"!!!!

But MS knows this ... so they need to constantly add security to it & patch holes in it. This causes it to run slower .... simple right?

3) KEEP YOUR PC CLEAN - Properly remove unneeded TIF's (Temporary Internet Files) & other useless crap.

- NEVER JUST DELETE THEM .... SECURELY ERASE (overwrite) ONLY

What's the difference? When a file is simply deleted, you are only instructing the o/s to ignore it (removes access to it). The file remains INTACT on your harddrive until overwritten by new data.

Secure deletion overwrites each chosen file (optional:1 to 35 times) so the file no longer exists.

I have found the most common entry point for bugs are the TIF's. You surf to any website & they can slip in (unnoticed) thru the normal exchange of data.

I use & highly recommend "CCleaner". I run it several times per day.
It works with and cleans ALL BROWSERS.

Get it here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

- download the "Latest Version"

If you PM me your email info, I'll send you a set of screenshots that will show how to properly configure it for max protection.

CCleaner will also securely remove unwanted cookies including "trackers".
However you must first save all the cookies you want to keep. (like SOH login, email login .. etc.)

CCleaner also contains a low-level Registry cleaner .... it's almost idiot-proof ...

There are several other functions (tools) included:
- edit your "startup menu" (which programs load at Windows startup)
- uninstall unwanted programs
- selectively delete any or all "System Restore" points

4) Erase (overwrite) the free space on your harddrive.
- this cleans up the previously deleted files, hidden bugs; plus any other junk that has accumulated over time.
- an added bonus here is that your PC will run faster afterward.

I use & highly recommend "ERASER". It allows secure deletion (erasure) of any single file between 1 & 35 times with an option of erasure down to the "cluster tips" of every cluster & erasure of the "alternate data streams"
- this function is added to the "right click" dropdown menu.
- allows the user to "overwrite" the freespace on all your harddrives with the same options as stated above.

Get ERASER here:http://eraser.heidi.ie/

Version 5.8 for: 32 or 64 bit o/s ... Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008.

Version 5.7 for: Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000

5) The stock XP defrager SUCKS BIGTIME
- it just doesn't do a complete job.

I use & recommend "Defraggler"
- Stupid name but it works great.
- made by the same nice people as CCleaner. (Piriform)

Get it here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_defraggler/

All programs mentioned here are completely FREEWARE

Good Luck Fibber, Please tell us how you have made out.

.... 8178

Bill Kestell
August 17th, 2009, 07:35
Fibber ... I only have the foil, pointy one (the other one keeps sliding off my pointy head)!

On a serious note, I hope you get this fixed, I'm sure I'd be a little concerned ... machines aren't supposed to do things without our involvement ...:kilroy:

Typhoon Willy
August 17th, 2009, 09:32
Hey Dirtman,

You made some great recommendations, can you suggest a freeware firewall and antivirus program(s)?

Thanks,

TW

Dirtman
August 17th, 2009, 11:18
can you suggest a freeware firewall and antivirus program(s)?
Thanks,

TW

Freeware AntiVirus
In my opinion there is only one: AVG Free

Get it here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/

I have used AVG Free for over 4 years .... It works perfectly and has "saved my bacon" more times than I can remember.

It now contains A/V plus AntiSpyware, Resident Shield & browser protection. Everything scans at once.

One year ago I tested all the major A/V apps from the various manufacturers (Norton, McAfee, Kasperski, Avast etc.) & found (for the 2nd time) that AVG Free outperforms all of them by a wide margin. Not only in the number of files that it scans, but in speed too. (the time it takes to run a complete scan)

AVG Free also updates twice daily and has frequent program upgrades too.

Last thing each night before I shut down:

1) manually update AVG Free (NEVER use the automatic update feature)

2) completely disconnect from the internet (turn off modem)

3) run CCleaner (erase all the TIF's & crap)

4) defrag the harddrive

5) open AVG Free, begin the scan ..... it will auto-quarantine any bugs it finds & then shut the PC down at the end of the scan.

Because of this I never need to put up with the PC running slow while it performs a scan...... because I'm asleep!

Is this cool or what?

Freeware firewall

Can't really help that much here, I use the stock XP SP2 firewall. Never had cause to upgrade to anything else.

Many people use "Zone Alarm Free".

Get it here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/

Hope this help you's out

BTW: If you haven't noticed already; File Hippo is a great source for clean freeware downloads.

http://www.filehippo.com/

click this image for a larger view

Fibber
August 17th, 2009, 12:59
Dirtman;
Thanks for the tips. I mistyped as to the OS. It is XPsp3 build 2600.
I was using Firefox but for some inate reason I migrated away from it. I think I will go back to it. On my old Win98 system I only used it and not IE.

Dirtman
August 17th, 2009, 13:07
Dirtman;
Thanks for the tips. I was using Firefox but for some innate reason I migrated away from it. I think I will go back to it. On my old Win98 system I only used it and not IE.

You are quite welcome Bro.

You'll find Firefox has changed & gotten allot better.

Maybe use the BoSox skin for Fox like Rami does! (in the summer)

SPman
August 17th, 2009, 17:16
I'd tend to agree with Dirtman there.

Alternative anti virus I've used for years - Antivir - very good

http://www.free-av.com/en/download/index.html

and for malware - Malwarebytes is good

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php.

Zonealarm is a good free firewall - works well with XP - can't seem to get it to work with Vista. It is better than the windows firewall

The main thing is - have these tools and update and use them regularly.
I check updates at least twice a week for malware and daily for antivirus - and still the little sods get through occassionally!

Typhoon Willy
August 17th, 2009, 17:54
Thanks Dirtman and SPman,

This has really turned into a very informative thread, I hope Fibber has been able to resolve his issue since it's his thread to begin with.

I like these freeware performance enhancing programs that have been listed, especially when there's no steroids involved! :isadizzy:

TW

Fibber
August 17th, 2009, 19:39
All sweeps with the free and payware were negative, but I may have found two causes. One was a "public Wi_Fi" that ny wife had on her laptop and when it was on it was attempting to connect through my router which goes through my desktop. Second was a stuck "home" button on the keyboard. Corrected both and it appears to be back to normal without the polgogeist:icon_lol:.

Thanks for the info though SP and Dirtman:applause: