PDA

View Full Version : OT: Let's bake a video card...

Bjoern
August 16th, 2009, 09:03
So yesterday, amidst in a Battlefield 2 LAN session, my 9800GTX+ died. Tried everything to get it back to life, but to no avail. No video signal output. Had to bring my 8800GTS 640 out of retirement yet again and all is working fine so far.

Now I've heard of a method that can bring dead video cards back to life with a fairly good rate of success: "Baking" them.

Yep, you heard it right. Just strip your dead video card of all coolers and heat sink compound and put it in the oven for half an hour at 100-110°C. Let it cool down, remount the coolers and put it back into your PC and see if it works.
So much for the theory.

I'm going to try this out at a friends' place later. (My PC is there anyways. LAN party and stuff.)
Will tell you whether it worked or not and might also post pics.

Got nothing to lose anyways, a video card can't be any "deader" than dead. :icon_lol:

P.S: The baking method is generally described as "So insane that it can't but work!" :d

Quixoticish
August 16th, 2009, 09:11
It's not insane, it actually makes perfect sense and a lot of components such as graphics cards and motherboards are often "baked" (pre-heated really) in order to ensure that all soldered joints are set correctly and that the flux has been activated properly to bind the solder. If the problem with your video card is a dry joint then this has every chance of fixing it.

BASys
August 16th, 2009, 10:47
Use the microwave
it's quicker. :pop4:

Kidding. :icon_lol:

Reflowing the solder may work if it was a dry joint.

Bjoern
August 16th, 2009, 14:35
Well, since it didn't work it wasn't the joints that brought the 9800 down. Damn.

Ah well, off to the online store ordering a GTX275 now.

- Edit: Still interested in pics?

grunau_baby
August 16th, 2009, 20:56
Try cooking it or use a frying pan if baking doesn´t help:d

Sorry to hear about the definite los of the card, sometimes simple solutions are great for big problems, but unfortunately not always...

Alex

PS:
- Edit: Still interested in pics? Why? did you meld it into a piece of art? Well then off course!

CG_1976
August 16th, 2009, 21:01
Just dont deep fry it, serious it can be very explosive experiance:d

Bjoern
August 18th, 2009, 07:33
PS: Why? did you meld it into a piece of art? Well then off course!

No, sadly not.

Anyways, a GTX275 is on the way.

Bjoern
August 20th, 2009, 10:03
Got my GTX275 yesterday.

Haven't tried it in 3D Mark 2006 or FSX yet, but this thing already rocks in Armed Asaault and Prototype! :d