PDA

View Full Version : New Missions and Questions

Shadow Wolf 07
August 16th, 2009, 08:27
I just started building the missions for a Battle of the Sibuyan Sea mini campaign. I have a good map and the orders of battle for both the USN and Japanese. I plan to use a mix of VN, Usio, Stock and Collin ships. There will be missions for Hellcats, Avengers and Helldivers.

My first question comes as a result of the fact that Usio's ships and the cruiser VN Tone are unit family 7 and category 13 on the dp - ie: carriers. I've made the conversion to the right family and category on my ships but wonder about others who fly the mission. I am using the historical correct names for all ships (expanded callsigns.dat file). If other users, with that callsigns list but don't correct the family/category, will their mission, when flown, show the correct names or will they default to "no name" or a carrier name?

I fear the latter will happen and I'll be forced to explain how to change the dp for each ship in the readme.

Comments? Suggestions?

I'll use this thread for updates on how the mission building is going. I already have the Enterprise's TG 38.4 in and the Japanese Center Force in position. That pretty much covers the first 3 missions in ship placement. I need to put in the attackers and triggers and events next.

Talon
August 16th, 2009, 08:52
What will happen if someone doesn't have the same family and category as you the mission won't work for them.

They will get

Tone Family 5 not found.

Talon

Shadow Wolf 07
August 16th, 2009, 09:42
Thanks Talon. :icon29: That's what I was afraid of. I'll have to include detailed instructions on how to modify the dp or include replacement dps for the ships affected.

Talon
August 16th, 2009, 19:31
When I upload missions I also put in the plane dp's I use because they are usually different from other peoples.

Talon

Shadow Wolf 07
August 17th, 2009, 10:17
I'm gonna leave the planes alone in this one. The only problem there is the source - 3 1% AvHistory planes used in the first 3 sets of missions. I finished the first set and will test fly them later tonight.

BTW: Did we get the okay to upload the CFS2 AvHistory planes here - anybody? :monkies:

Shadow Wolf 07
August 19th, 2009, 06:18
Progress is going slow for now. My daughter, who is with me for the summer will be going back to school next week and I'll be free to work in ernest. I've completed the 1st set of missions with strikes from USS Enterprise and have started on the second set with strikes from the Intrepid and Cabot. So far, so good. Hopefully, I'll be looking for "beta testers" by the end of next week.

Shadow Wolf 07
August 24th, 2009, 15:06
I have completed missions 4,5 and six - the fighter, dive bomber and torpedo attacks by the USS Intrepid and USS Cabot. Next I have the attacks by Essex, Lexington and Intrepid (second wave) to do. I'll flight test 4.5 and 6 probably tomorrow.

Moving right along... :ernae:

Shadow Wolf 07
August 27th, 2009, 12:27
Update: Missions 1-11 are done and marieried and I are flight testing them. I'm suffering from "MB fatigue" and will put off starting the build of the last 2 or 3 - the CAP defense of TG-38.3 - till tomorrow.

BTW: How is the uploading of the AvHistory 1% planes going?

Talon
August 27th, 2009, 14:08
Update: Missions 1-11 are done and marieried and I are flight testing them. I'm suffering from "MB fatigue" and will put off starting the build of the last 2 or 3 - the CAP defense of TG-38.3 - till tomorrow.

Now you know how I feel after doing 40 to 60 missions for campaigns,LOL.

Talon

Shadow Wolf 07
August 28th, 2009, 12:51
Now you know how I feel after doing 40 to 60 missions for campaigns,LOL.

Talon

Yes and I salute you and the others for that :isadizzy: :applause: :icon29:

erufle
August 29th, 2009, 04:08
I appreciate your work SW. Good quality work requires that you take some time off and then come back and review your work. One problem with the human mind is that it is always filling in the little details of your work whether you have completed them or not. When you take a long enough break from your work you forget those details, which is a good thing. It is good because when you review your work you now see it as others do and can fill in the little details that your mind was telling you had already completed.

Shadow Wolf 07
August 29th, 2009, 05:22
I am starting the air to air missions today and have a question: I have Thicko's Jd4y2_suisei udy but am wondering, is there and does anyone have a 1% Judy divebomber?

Cheers

Shadow

Bill Kestell
August 29th, 2009, 08:30
1% Judy ... not as long as I've been here. :kilroy:

Talon
August 29th, 2009, 09:31
I am starting the air to air missions today and have a question: I have Thicko's Jd4y2_suisei udy but am wondering, is there and does anyone have a 1% Judy divebomber?

From what I've read through the years some of the newer planes have airfiles and so forth based on the 1% planes.There was a discussion about this a few years ago.

Talon

Shadow Wolf 07
August 29th, 2009, 11:55
Understood... thanks guys. I'll go ahead with Thicko's bird.

dvslats
August 29th, 2009, 13:38
I'm root'n for you on this project. :applause: Erufle has made a good point. If in the near future you need beta testers...you can put me on the list.
Take your time...Dv

Shadow Wolf 07
August 29th, 2009, 16:24
I'm root'n for you on this project. :applause: Erufle has made a good point. If in the near future you need beta testers...you can put me on the list.
Take your time...Dv

Will do :)

Shadow Wolf 07
August 30th, 2009, 08:00
Anyone have or know where to find the 800 kg bomb for Thicko's "Judy?" I plan to use the 250 kg bomb in the mission I'm building but I woul like to eliminate the error message for the larger one...

Talon
August 30th, 2009, 08:08
Anyone have or know where to find the 800 kg bomb for Thicko's "Judy?" I plan to use the 250 kg bomb in the mission I'm building but I woul like to eliminate the error message for the larger one...

AF=Midway IJN Plane pack has one.Page 15 missions Simviation.That's the one I use.

Talon

Shadow Wolf 07
August 30th, 2009, 09:27
I got that bomp dp, bmp and bgl out of that pack from simviation, thanks Talon. :icon29: Historically the attack was in 3 waves of 50-60 aircraft each with one bomber getting through and mortally wounding the CVL Princeton. Thus far I have 2 waves of 3 shotais of 6 for 18 planes each, with 4 of them having alternate routes, so that when they get to 50% strength or less they turn back. There are 2 flights of 1US_F6F-5 defending with 7 planes each. I may yet add more on both sides. Gonna have a break and think about it...

Talon
August 30th, 2009, 10:36
BTW the 800kg bomb was used late in the war for kamikaze attacks,early in the war it was used at Pearl Harbor on the Kate level bombers.It was a modified 14'' or 16'' armor piercing shell.

Talon

Shadow Wolf 07
August 30th, 2009, 14:12
I'm using the 250 kg bomb, but even with the download you tipped I still get that not found error. No problem, the mission still starts but there are other problems with the Judy: It thinks it a fighter. It breaks formation and attacks. I think I fixed that by changing the category on the dp from 1 to 10 like the Val, which it replaced. The other problem is the tailgunner. He's as deadly accurate as the stock Betty tailgunner but I don't know what to change in GUNSTATIONS to fix that. I may have to use Vals instead. :(

Talon
August 30th, 2009, 14:45
Put this line in your DP for the 800kg bomb and it should work.

wep_800kg_bomb, 1, -1

Check your PM's for the gunner fix

Talon

Shadow Wolf 07
August 31st, 2009, 06:19
I added in your fixes and will test later when I'm home. Thanx :icon29:

Ghostrider
August 31st, 2009, 07:58
Hey SW07,

Sounds like a good set of missions - I'd love to help beta if needed. Been a busy summer for me!

I never did figure out how to get around the mdlnames.txt problem on my Hailstone Mini-campaign, so it still languishes.

Anyway, TTYL?
Ghostrider

Shadow Wolf 07
August 31st, 2009, 09:12
Hey GR, long time no see! Sure, I only have a couple of missions to go.

Ghostrider
August 31st, 2009, 09:44
Yeah, shoot me an e-mail if I can help at all, Buddy!

Shadow Wolf 07
August 31st, 2009, 10:34
Yeah, shoot me an e-mail if I can help at all, Buddy!

Will do. I will send you the readme so you can start downloading the missing pieces. I may have to send you the three 1% planes used, since there isn't a place to download them from yet. I'm gonna fly 12 and do some screenshots from the others later.

Cody Coyote: I just finished mission 12 and have one more Air-Air mission to go. I'm having a problem getting the alternate waypoints for the Japanese to work. I set several flights to "turn back" after suffering 50% or more losses. I plotted the waypoints okay and the alternate waypoints with the appropriate triggers and events. But after saving the mission (with another mission number) and closing MB, when I reopen MB and the mission I find at least one of the plane icons in the wrong place and the mission is thus corrupted. I saved mission 12 without the alternate wp/turn back options and she opened again uncorrupted. I know this method works because I used it successfully in my Leyte Gulf mission, strange. Oh well, I'll try again in mission 13. :isadizzy:

Shadow Wolf 07
September 1st, 2009, 15:45
I just test flew missions 12 and 13. I have a couple of small tweaks to make then I'll put the bunch up for "beta" testing. I now have to write the campaign CMG file - something I've never done but I have Cody's tutorial for a guide. I never did get those "turn back" alternate waypoints to work so I used malfunction/engine fires to "clear the air", so to speak. :kilroy:

Shadow Wolf 07
September 3rd, 2009, 11:44
At last I'm done. Two volunteers are testing the missions and I'm standing by for feedback. I'll do some flying later and get a few screenshots.

I will be including a seperate folder with just the missions for those who want to fly them seperately. They are tough and you dont get any immediate gratification since the primary target - BB Musashi - doesn't get sunk until the last set of anti ship missions. You have to be content with inflicting damage on her and slowly wearing her down. The air to air missions are decent furballs.

Edit: Added some screenies

mariereid
September 4th, 2009, 06:09
Hi Guys; First I'd like to thank SW for allowing me to partake in this. I know I could be of little help to him, but it was quite an experience for me to watch in amazement, as he put this together. I was going to try to send some screenshots, but I cound not get the darn things to send. I have been flying the missions for awhile and have enjoyed every second of it. When Sibuyan Sea is completed, ya just gotta try it! I am pretty sure skilled pilots are going to really like the challenge and the reality. Rookies, like me, will learn to fly a lot better. I think you are all going to like it and it'll get your heart racing and your palms sweating! Thanks SW!

Shadow Wolf 07
September 4th, 2009, 11:26
Thanks for the compliments Rick. If this works, maybe I'll try an "Operation Ten-Go" mission set. :monkies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Ten-Go

Talon
September 4th, 2009, 11:42
Thanks for the compliments Rick. If this works, maybe I'll try an "Operation Ten-Go" mission set. :monkies:

If you do let me know,I have some sites that might help you.They give exact locations where ships were sunk,which ships took part on the attacks and what planes and how many on each carrier.

I started a mission where corsairs were attacking Yamato with bombs.

Talon

mariereid
September 5th, 2009, 04:50
Trying to send pics of Sibuyan Sea Campaign.:isadizzy:

Well, looky there! Now all I gotta do is take better photos! I have no idea why the black bars are there.

Shadow Wolf 07
September 5th, 2009, 05:07
Thanks Talon... I'll kep you in mind.

Nice pics Rick!! :ernae:

erufle
September 6th, 2009, 05:15
Trying to send pics of Sibuyan Sea Campaign.:isadizzy:
Well, looky there! Now all I gotta do is take better photos! I have no idea why the black bars are there.

Because you were taking them through your cell at the county jail?

mariereid
September 6th, 2009, 06:05
Because you were taking them through your cell at the county jail?

Possibly, but I was just, er, ah, visiting!:engel016:

Devildog73
September 6th, 2009, 06:07
Hey, I was in and out of jail several times over the course of 22 years............................................. .................................
.................................................. ...................................

As a police officer.:monkies:

Shadow Wolf 07
September 6th, 2009, 07:26
The individual missions seem to check out okay. I'm now running the campaign to ensure the dynamic campaign DMG works.

"Because you were taking them through your cell at the county jail?" It's because he landed on the wrong ship and now he's a POW :jump:

mariereid
September 6th, 2009, 09:04
The individual missions seem to check out okay. I'm now running the campaign to ensure the dynamic campaign DMG works.

"Because you were taking them through your cell at the county jail?" It's because he landed on the wrong ship and now he's a POW :jump:
Is it too late to say I was trying to be artistic?

erufle
September 6th, 2009, 11:49
The cats out of the bag. :redf: Your reputation has been trashed.

Shadow Wolf 07
September 7th, 2009, 04:53
Mission and campaign testing are moving right along. Thanks to the testers! No major problems have been found so far and I've gotten some good feedback.

I expect to publish the mission and campaign package soon. The Pacific Theatre is still alive and well! :kilroy:

mariereid
September 7th, 2009, 06:30
Well, I just cheated a little and made it through SW's campaign. Still, with the cheating, I got sent home for poor performance. Jeez, I thought I was doing pretty good!:running:

Shadow Wolf 07
September 7th, 2009, 15:08
If you do let me know,I have some sites that might help you.They give exact locations where ships were sunk,which ships took part on the attacks and what planes and how many on each carrier.

I started a mission where corsairs were attacking Yamato with bombs.

Talon

I think I'll work on it after a short break. My DAV (Disabled American Veterans) chapter has some things coming up that are gonna keep me busy for about a week.

Thanks for the tips!! :icon29:

Shadow Wolf 07
September 8th, 2009, 07:36
The mini campaign and seperate missions zip is uploaded:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=14799

Feedback is welcome and appreciated...

"Well, I just cheated a little and made it through SW's campaign. Still, with the cheating, I got sent home for poor performance. Jeez, I thought I was doing pretty good!:running:"

No matter what, you done good mate. Thanks for your help!

Shadow Wolf 07
September 12th, 2009, 07:52
I just started Operation Ten-Go (the last voyage of the Yamato). I've placed the Japanese ships and 1 US Task Force so far. It will be a 4-5 mission linear campaign with less japanese ships and more US planes than Sibuyan Sea. Im getting started on it today and tomorrow and then back to work again on Wednesday. :wavey:

mariereid
September 12th, 2009, 08:01
My gosh SW, where do you find the time and engery! Keep them coming!:icon29::guinness:

Shadow Wolf 07
September 13th, 2009, 04:17
My gosh SW, where do you find the time and engery! Keep them coming!:icon29::guinness:

Time I got... I've pretty much finished missions 1 and 2except for the briefing. I'm going to flight test them later today. They encompass the first wave of attacks on the Japanese force = 60 planes. :isadizzy:

Shadow Wolf 07
September 14th, 2009, 12:49
A screenshot:

By the way I hit her in the stern and soon after got shot down... :isadizzy:

mariereid
September 15th, 2009, 03:21
Lookin' good, SW:applause:

Shadow Wolf 07
September 17th, 2009, 16:18

Thanks. Finished mission 3 and will do 4 and 5 tomorrow. :running:

Shadow Wolf 07
September 18th, 2009, 12:35

My toes skimmed the water but I pulled out! (Mission 4) :ernae:

I'm getting a bit flustered... can't make 4 and 5 work the way I want,. I'll keep at it though.

Bill Kestell
September 18th, 2009, 16:17
:ernae: Thanks for what looks to be some more really great late-in-the-war missions. I like this period (so long as the number of ships and aircraft are limited to what is directly involved to keep the graphics flowing nicely... no stuttering or frame freeze) because it give you an opportunity to fly with and against later, hotter aircraft. There's NOTHING wrong ith 1942 campigns and missions ... don't get me wrong ... but there has NOT been much late stuff ... so this is particularly welcome.:kilroy:

mariereid
September 19th, 2009, 07:36
B.K. I was quite happy flying my F4F in 1942-43. But after I tried a couple of SW 07's missions I was hooked! I think he pretty well nailed the S.S. campaign. I think every ship involved is in the campaign. Sometimes, I find myself gawking at the ships, instead of attacking them. SW 07 may have more goodies on the way.

Shadow Wolf 07
September 19th, 2009, 11:41
:ernae: Thanks for what looks to be some more really great late-in-the-war missions. I like this period (so long as the number of ships and aircraft are limited to what is directly involved to keep the graphics flowing nicely... no stuttering or frame freeze) because it give you an opportunity to fly with and against later, hotter aircraft. There's NOTHING wrong ith 1942 campigns and missions ... don't get me wrong ... but there has NOT been much late stuff ... so this is particularly welcome.:kilroy:

These two mini-campaigns (the published Sibuyan Sea (SS) and the one currently under development) are based on battles where there were for the most part void of any Japanese air units. Therefore ships play a dominant role in both. The one exception is the attack by Japanese land based naval dive bombers on Task Group 38.3 which I put in at the end of the missions set. To save on frame rates I omitted the second, trailing element of the Japanese force in SS since the US attacks were all against the larger lead element.

For the current Operation Ten-Go the only Japanese forces are the Yamato a light cruiser and a handfull of destroyers. I put them all in. Each mission will have 60-75 planes and the player "scores points" by % damage to the Yamato, or sinking a Destroyer and/or, as in the case of the divebomber/torpedo planes, using up ordnance in strafing atttacks and surviving.

I got the idea for SS from the fact that one of our members uploaded a "Taffey 3" misssion and since I had Yamato in SS, I decided to go ahead and make missions for her last journey. In both the player has to navigate through a "boatload" of flak.

Bill Kestell
September 19th, 2009, 13:26
Sounds good to me!

Shadow Wolf 07
September 21st, 2009, 11:58
Whew! Mission building is complete. Now to flight test these critters... and of course write the campaign CMG

Shadow Wolf 07
September 23rd, 2009, 11:22
I'm having some problems getting this thing to work with a random 2 and 3 way split on the missions. In other words I want the campaign to start by going to mission A, or B, and then go to C, D or E and so on. I thought I had the nodes set up right but it skips the first set (A or B) of missions entirely at start and goes to the second. Any help would be appreciated.

Shadow Wolf 07
September 25th, 2009, 07:18
Moving along... I think I solved the CMG problem. :applause:

Rami
September 25th, 2009, 07:28
Shadow Wolf 07,

Let me say that I supremely applaud your efforts. :ernae: I have been hoping that other enterprising CFS2 players would pick up the torch in the Pacific and run with it, making new missions and campaigns, or refurbishing older ones and making them current. Well done!

mariereid
September 25th, 2009, 09:02
Yes, thanks for all your great work SW!!:ernae:

Shadow Wolf 07
September 26th, 2009, 07:22
Thanks guys. I'm about done with testing and decided to rewrite the cmg, It will put the player in and F6F then either an Avenger or Helldiver then backt to an F6F again and so on for a total of 8 missions insted of 4. After I test that, I'll publish the mini-campaign. The Usio Yamato remains a tough nut to crack... :running:

Shadow Wolf 07
September 28th, 2009, 07:39
I finally finished building and testing and just uploaded the mini-campaign and it's in the que now. The player will fly 8 missions against the Yamato and her escorts. :ernae:

For my next project I was thinking about the massive fighter sweep of Operation Hailstone - the attack on Truk - and releasing it seperately. Ghostrider is still working on the Hailstone mini-campaign. I already have the mission mostly completed and sent it to him. I may redo it with 1% planes or leave them stock. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

mariereid
September 28th, 2009, 08:01
Jeez, I'm still shaking from the last one! I do not know what to tell ya about which planes to use, but it's nice to have the 1% in the library, if you need them. Your really churnin' them out, SW. Great stuff!:ernae:

Ghostrider
September 28th, 2009, 11:39
Hey SW, love your new avatar! Yeah, I'm right there with the Hailstone miini-campaign, but as you will remember, I haven't been able to solve the mdlnames.txt problem. I wonder if there is a standard file I could use for the MB of missions to be released? I have been thinking about it again lately, as I have already done a lot of work on the campaign, and I think there's a lot of potential there. Tell me what you think. I'm still big on the idea of folks using Morton's MK CFS2 Utility. I use one of the Hellcats, Avengers, or Helldivers that are in MY install. The player just tells MK CFS2 Util which Helldiver, etc. HE wants to fly the mission with. No downloading different versions of aircraft you already have, etc. Same applies to ships. Anyway, tell me what you think.

Shadow Wolf 07
September 28th, 2009, 13:14
If that utility works then it's a good idea :ernae: I'm not trying to steal your thunder by finishing that mission. I'm just looking for something to do.

Shadow Wolf 07
September 29th, 2009, 07:38
I finally finished building and testing and just uploaded the mini-campaign and it's in the que now. The player will fly 8 missions against the Yamato and her escorts. :ernae:

For my next project I was thinking about the massive fighter sweep of Operation Hailstone - the attack on Truk - and releasing it seperately. Ghostrider is still working on the Hailstone mini-campaign. I already have the mission mostly completed and sent it to him. I may redo it with 1% planes or leave them stock. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

"Operation Ten-GO" is up and ready for download :icon29:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=15032

mariereid
October 1st, 2009, 14:03
Operation Ten Go is pretty darn good, SW! I am slowly learning how to dive bomb. I used to hate dive bombing, but once I starting having some success, I changed my mind. I have done the campaign about a dozen times, It's always a little different. Thanks for giving us PTO'ers something to look forward to! I have had a sneek preview of a couple of new missions, both are awsome!:ernae::medals:

Shadow Wolf 07
October 2nd, 2009, 15:37
Operation Ten Go is pretty darn good, SW! I am slowly learning how to dive bomb. I used to hate dive bombing, but once I starting having some success, I changed my mind. I have done the campaign about a dozen times, It's always a little different. Thanks for giving us PTO'ers something to look forward to! I have had a sneek preview of a couple of new missions, both are awsome!:ernae::medals:

Thanks for the compliments Rick. I'll try to upload the missions in a day or two. It will be a pack with 3 missions: an "Operation Hailstone" dawn fighter sweep with 2 missions; one with stock aircraft and one using 1% only and a divebomber strike on Truk with 1% aircraft.

Shadow Wolf 07
October 5th, 2009, 13:26
It's uploaded, but now I'm toying with the idea of building an accompanying torpedo attack mission or two. Your thoughts and comments? Has anyone done the Battle of Santa Cruz? I'm lookin for stuff to do while the Muse is still with me.

Talon
October 5th, 2009, 15:43
SW

In my USN Carriers I cover from Febuary 1942 right through the Solomons.60 mission campaign which covered Butch O'Hare,Coral Sea,Midway,Guadalcanal landings,Battle of the Eastern Solomons and Santa Cruz.I may have even done the first carrier attack on Rabual in it.It's a couple of years old ( 2007 ) but probably could use some updating.

I'm still doing work on the Philippines on & off,so it will take a while.I have 21 missions for it so far and I'm only to October 26,1944.

Talon

Shadow Wolf 07
October 6th, 2009, 09:53
Nice Talon! What ships (if other than stock) are you using?

Talon
October 6th, 2009, 10:15
SW

I used VN ships,Usio ships and stock ships in it.The campaign has been up for 2 years and I don't remember everything I used but it's all in the readme.

This should be the link

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=9290
Talon

Shadow Wolf 07
October 7th, 2009, 16:07
SW

I used VN ships,Usio ships and stock ships in it.The campaign has been up for 2 years and I don't remember everything I used but it's all in the readme.

This should be the link

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=9290
Talon

Thanks Talon. I'll give her a try. :guinness:

Shadow Wolf 07
October 10th, 2009, 08:16
It's uploaded, but now I'm toying with the idea of building an accompanying torpedo attack mission or two. Your thoughts and comments? Has anyone done the Battle of Santa Cruz? I'm lookin for stuff to do while the Muse is still with me.

I have finished the torpedo attack mission and test flew it twice. It works well, despite the fact that the flak ate me up. I plan to upload it soon. :guinness:

Some screenies:

Shadow Wolf 07
October 12th, 2009, 08:39
I have finished the torpedo attack mission and test flew it twice. It works well, despite the fact that the flak ate me up. I plan to upload it soon. :guinness:

Some screenies:

It's up at: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=15113