PDA

View Full Version : I want to start modelling......

Cag40Navy
August 13th, 2009, 20:46
well, it has been a dream of mine to learn how to use GMAX and how to make a aircraft for FSX. i want to start out as a freeware dev. every little scrap of help will be a huge help. tips will also be a big help too!

Thanks,
C4N

N2056
August 13th, 2009, 20:50
Ready are you to begin the training? Much to learn there is...:d

Cag40Navy
August 13th, 2009, 20:57
Ready are you to begin the training? Much to learn there is...:d
yes master yoda, im ready to explore the unknown.... :jump:

Prowler1111
August 13th, 2009, 20:59
..youŽll finish what you start....do it or donŽt, there is no try...

empeck
August 13th, 2009, 23:29
Try these:

Best tutorial available:
http://www.flightsimonline.com/C162/

Best FS-dev forums (with twisted sense of humour :D):
http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

BananaBob
August 14th, 2009, 00:03
I'm not good enough looking to model, LOL :ernae:

Mathias
August 14th, 2009, 00:12
Always great to have new guys getting interested in modelling so good luck and most of all have fun exploring the world of poligons and vertices.:bump:
It's always a good idea to begin with step #1 so I'd suggest to do put the idea of making an aircraft in the background for a bit and do the tutorials first that come with Gmax, one by and in order.
Most struggle because they want too much too fast and just forget to learn the toolbox.:kilroy:

Cag40Navy
August 14th, 2009, 00:18
Always great to have new guys getting interested in modelling so good luck and most of all have fun exploring the world of poligons and vertices.:bump:
It's always a good idea to begin with step #1 so I'd suggest to do put the idea of making an aircraft in the background for a bit and do the tutorials first that come with Gmax, one by and in order.
Most struggle because they want too much too fast and just forget to learn the toolbox.:kilroy:
Thanks, i will always keep that in mind when i start to model. if i get the ropes, i might make a WIP. but that wont be for a while....

Piglet
August 14th, 2009, 00:20
Go, to the dark side, you will. Start small and simple. Learn the programs in small simple steps. Learn how to push and pull poly's and vertices.
And go get the tuts meantioned above!:ernae::ernae:

BushAV8R
August 14th, 2009, 00:36
I agree with Mathias. I am new to the modelling community as well and havent done anything really so far. A little trying on aircraft fuselage shapes here and there, but I want to know the fundamentals of a program like Gmax/Max first. That makes you much more efficient in the end and you know what and why you do it. Therefore I concentrate on making basic and medium complexity stuff, learning the interface etc.

If you are into video training I can make the following suggestion:

http://www.3dbuzz.com/xcart/product.php?productid=38&cat=10&page=1

I friend of mine is doing Maya and used these training courses and gave me a hint. I ordered myself the 3ds Max Fundamentals series for $99.00 and it is absolutely worth the money. Well these $99.00 is really nothing compared to the awesome training you will get. You will start with the interface basics, then move to simple models first, going all the way up. You even do am F-14 Tomcat, so there will be aircraft modelling in this course as well and it is sooo cool. I am almost there, to start on it.

Keep in mind though, that these training videos are based on 3ds Max 9, I think, but you can transfer a lot to Gmax. Most of the things are very similar and you can directly use it in Gmax. 3ds Max might have more complex functionality, but you dont need that really to model a good aircraft from what I have seen. There are also a lot of training videos on animations, texture baking, texturing with Photoshop etc. So very nice content. All in all you get like 105 hours of video training. Have a look at the sample videos, in order to check if you like the teaching style.

I was lucky to get a student license of 3ds Max 2009, so I can directly work on the things presented in the course. I might get lucky and get a commercial version after it, but if not, I will go back to Gmax and I know that the transfer back will be no problem at all.

Its up to you and you learning style, but I just wanted to tell you what I am currently doing in order to learn a complex application like Gmax/Max and these videos are helping me a lot. When you then read awesome tutorials like Milton's C162, it all makes much more sense, if you know the basics and the tools.

Hope I could provide a little help. From newbie to newbie :)

stansdds
August 14th, 2009, 02:22
I wanted to get into modeling, but I found out that I had this problem...

Gcbsy5SiCIo

krazycolin
August 14th, 2009, 03:59
"I'm not afraid!" "eh... you will be... you will be..."

Good stuff! I would suggest that you do the tutorials in GMAX first and foremost. That way you have a good base to start with. After that, you can start working on planes... (Note that this is only a suggestion)...

Gibbage
August 14th, 2009, 04:10
My advice is this. Go to a local community college and see if they have a class in 3DS Max. I have seen classes for around $60 and Gmax is a basic stripped version of 3DS Max. You can learn the interface from that. The interface is VERY complex and confusing, so it makes reading tutorials almost pointless without knowing the interface first. Also there are DVD's you can buy that shows you 3DS.

And a tip from a pro. Dont strive for perfection. Flaws make it more realistic, since real aircraft are also not perfect. Also, stay away from Mesh smooth. I see way too many new artist's rely too much on that tool. Ow, and your best friend is Ctrl Z, but your worst nightmare is Ctrl X. Have fun!

MCDesigns
August 14th, 2009, 04:13
LMAO, LOVE the Yoda references!

The key is persistence! When I first started with Gmax it made no sense whatsoever, tried for months, went back to FSDS, tried for months, went back to FSDS, tried for months, gave up! Got a copy of 3DSMax and that made sense for some reason. Came back to FS and Gmax, made sense, go figure, LOL.

Also making an aircraft for FS is more than just modeling (which is why I have never released any of mine, LOL), that's the easy part. :173go1:

Bone
August 14th, 2009, 04:31
All of you guys are wayyy too ambitious, but I'm really glad you are! My forte lies in being the end user...you know, the path of least resistance.

Lionheart
August 14th, 2009, 08:11
If doing the Gmax tutorials (and you really should), do them one at a time, IN ORDER.... Very important. They teach you in steps where the tools are and how they work. Thus if you jump from one to 5, you miss where the tools are through the last steps and cannot finish step 5.

Also, in doing the Gmax tutorials, do not go to the next level until you have memorised EVERYTHING on that step you are on. THEN go to the next step. Burn the tools into your mind, where they are, how they work. That is the most important thing to learn about Gmax....

Alot of guys went to the Gmax tutorial, right to the P-38, and couldnt figure out why the instructions were so vague. All the tools for it are taught in the previous tutorials. (I'm one of them. I didnt do the early ones.. I went straight for the plane.. I quit Gmax perhaps 3 times before finally starting at step 1).

Bill

Cag40Navy
August 14th, 2009, 08:48
wow, this is helping me alot. i want to say thank you to those who have givin me the tips! this is really going to help me "join the dark side:toilet:"

Bjoern
August 14th, 2009, 08:58
Best FS-dev forums (with twisted sense of humour :D):
http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

Well, Felix is there, so whaddya expect? :d

As for modeling, try starting out with sceneries, say airport buildings or so. They're fairly simple to do and great to get the hang of the tools.

bushpilot
August 14th, 2009, 09:18
If you really want to challege yourself, learn Blenderhttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon12.gif. I've done my fair share of different 3d modelling tools including Autocad, 3ds Max and gmax, back when I was studying architecture, but the only real headache I was dealing with was Blender. And I agree with Gibbage, best way to start is if you can participate on some class teaching you the basics. After that it is very easy go by yourself to learn new tricks.

I've now been "3d free" for four years and don't miss it at all. Changing my profession was the best decision I've ever made LOL.

empeck
August 14th, 2009, 09:53
What are you doing now, bushpilot?

I work as 3d artist for about six years, and I still like it :ernae:

bushpilot
August 14th, 2009, 09:58
What are you doing now, bushpilot?

I'm a freelance photographer, running my own photography firm. Might just be the best job in the world:ernae:. If I sleep in, no one's complaining LOL:medals:

jdhaenens
August 14th, 2009, 10:06
try starting out with sceneries, say airport buildings or so. They're fairly simple to do --Bjoern

Heck, I must be picking the wrong buildings:icon_lol:

Seriously, there are quite a few folks that can help, should you have problems.

Go for it.

N2056
August 14th, 2009, 15:57
Okay...my Yoda bit went well :icon_lol:

Seriously, what everyone has told you is gold. Save yourself a lot of headache later by doing the tutorials in order first! (Trust the words of the non tutorial taker ;)). When you feel ready to try a plane pick one that you can actually do. I always advise finding a basic single engine fixed gear design that you like as a start. Keeping it simple initially makes the process easier, and increases the odds of success.

I look forward to watching your progress! :ernae:

FelixFFDS
August 14th, 2009, 16:33
I'm not good enough looking to model, LOL :ernae:

Obviously, you're the makeup artist - the one who makes the models look their best!

FelixFFDS
August 14th, 2009, 16:43
this is really going to help me "join the dark side:toilet:"

On a serious note .... "joining the dark side" is used by True Luddites to refer to those misguided souls that have delved into gmax/Max and other such modelling programs, instead of seeking the Masochistic Nirvana of the One True Flightsim Modelling Program - FSDS.

Ultimately, as has been proven many times over, it's the artist that creates the awesome models, irrespective of the programs used - gmax/Max/FSDS/Blender ....

You have been given very good advise on how to approach gmax. DO the gmax tutorials, and play with it as you go. Those tutorials only get you to using the program.

Getting the model into FS is another little challenge ..... :)

Solve the mysterry of the blue-checkered box!

N2056
August 14th, 2009, 16:49
Solve the mystery of the blue-checkered box!

Oh man...that was

A) Needlessly cryptic :kilroy:
B) A great poke at someone here! :applause:

To the OP...be forewarned that when you grace FFDS with your presence you will be subject to this sort of thing! :d

Lionheart
August 14th, 2009, 20:11
Ok.... The evil, dark, hidious, angry blue and white checkered box almost got me.

For 7 long days, full time, long long days starting from 8 to late in the evening, I was trying to get my textures to show up on my model. I had done everything I could to make them show up. I was asking questions at forums, re-reading all tutorials, etc..

Near the end of the week, I started throwing things, hit the wall once, smashed some ellegant models from earlier years. I almost through the monitor out the window. How could all that effort and all that learning be held up? What was wrong now? A graphics card? Was I being singled out by the actual program? Was it thinking things like "This guy is NOT going to learn this program EVER!!!!"

I think it was Friday, when in the afternoon, I think 2-ish, I thought, well... 'Its time to throw in the towel. I am not going to keep this up anymore. I can keep using FSDS. I'll have to live without Boolean's... '

I happen to go into FFDS (www.FreeFlightDesignStudio.com) and told the world I was quitting Gmax (again, I think the 4th time in 2 years), and Fr. Bill Leaming says; "Did you remember to click on that little 'blue and white checked square (button)' on your Material Editor?"

UREKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was back in business... Horrible, evil, grueling test of faith and endurance and hope.... But I made it. Thanks to Bill Leaming, I am now making models in Gmax faster then I could have done in FSDS. (Gmax has more tools, but FSDS is terribly easy to work in).

So, when the chips are down, put out your calls for help and be patient. Hide your models so you dont destroy them. Keep calm. Take your meds to keep blood pressure down. And keep physically active. Dont let your body get out of shape like I did...

Bill

Piglet
August 14th, 2009, 20:14
Patience, a Padawan must have, patience... Only then will airplane be created.
Do realize all this will take time and practice to begin to show results. Search your feelings, you know this to be true.
Some of us got where we are because we've been doing it for years, 8-10 years in my case.
May the G-Force 8600 be with you:ernae:

crashaz
August 14th, 2009, 20:22
-Ask tons of questions... you are in the right place for it here.

- Sometimes it is going to seem impossible. Take a break.

A lot of good people... some not working on it anymore ....helped me.

We can help you too if you will make the effort. :wavey:

Cag40Navy
August 14th, 2009, 20:36
Since ive been alive and the F-16 has come out, there is one varient that ive been going head-over-heals for, and that is the F-16XL! so, when i get to the point to where i know WHAT THE F@%# im doing, im going to do it! but for now..... im going to do something simple!

PS, can i put GMAX projects from comp to another?

Still, thanks for ALL the info, the little gems you have all givin me will help me become a "NOT-SO-soon-to-be" dev.

crashaz
August 14th, 2009, 20:39
Yes you can move your .gmax files anywhere you want to another computer and they will open on another machine with GMAX installed.

Cag40Navy
August 14th, 2009, 21:56
how do i import a pic of the aircraft i want to model in GMAX? it would help alot, thanks!

Brett_Henderson
August 15th, 2009, 04:15
Felix is correct, in that it's the artist who creates the model. FSDS or Gmax are just tools. Either is capable of producing great work.

HOWever.. Gmax is much more flexible and utile. It's a little tougher to learn, but once learned, it makes complex modeling easier and more intuitive. The majority of the work is done between your ears (and in your sleep, and while driving, eating, watching TV..lol).. Gmax has more conduits for getting it from there, into the model.

On top of all that.. FSX materials and texturing are a case-study unto themselves.. The SDK (and most of the help online), are based on Gmax.

When you're beating your head against the wall; trying to get shiny glass without black chrome.. and a specteral "gloss".. most (if not all) of your potential references will be Gmax-based.

how do i import a pic of the aircraft i want to model in GMAX? it would help alot, thanks!

Do you mean, getting three-views (top/side/front profiles) into the viewports.. ?

That's one of the first things covered in the tutorials. The best method is to make 'planes' and then map the profiles onto them. Resist the urge to just place the three-views into the viewport background.

michael davies
August 15th, 2009, 07:08
If your importing it as a scale back ground to work against ?, then the easiest way is to make an object and paste the picture on it, its a little more complex than that but heres a simple way.

Make a box, say 10mx10mx10m, in vertex mode simple remove all the vertices's from one end so your left with a flat sheet, next you apply a material to that sheet and that material has your picture as its texture, ergo your picture is now pasted onto the flat poly, you can now use the vertices in each corner to scale the sheet to match the correct plane dimensions.

However there are some steps you need to do before even doing any tutorials, you need to make sure your 'scene' thats the whole environment your working in, see Gmax and Max call work areas scenes, when you save a model it saves the scene, not just the model but the back grounds, scales or anything else you have added in.

Before starting a project it is important that your scene is correctly scaled and orientated, you may well end up with your model facing back wards or upside down when exporting or wrongly scaled.

A scene must be in metric, you can work in imperial but you'll need to rescale on export, its easier to work in metric to begin with, your scene must have the aircraft nose pointing to the left when you view it from the left side, from the top the nose point to the top of the screen, these are fundamentals rarely mentioned.

Take the time to set up or learn some of the short cut keys, by far the most I use are left, right, top and bottom views.

I also think its very important to learn the export routine very early on, I mean very early on, theres nothing more frustrating that trying to export your model and get no where, most people fail here and give up, the biggest boost to any model is seeing it in the sim so learn the export tools early, I'd suggest a simple plank model thats exported into the sim, if its scaled right and facing the right way then your in business.

I always had a blank scene that was scaled and orientated correctly and would import that before starting any project, that way you know its going to scale and face the right way before you begin.

Try and enjoy yourself, it is supposed to be fun, but be prepared for a lot of pain, late nights and angry moments.

Best

Michael

Bjoern
August 15th, 2009, 09:15
Heck, I must be picking the wrong buildings:icon_lol:

LoL!

Well, it always depends on how much detail you want to add. You, Jim are usually doing over the top in that regard. And I guess that we love you for it. :d

Empeck: Has that "29" in your age field turned into a "30" lately?
If yes, a belated "happy birthday" from me! :ernae:

n4gix
August 15th, 2009, 09:37
A scene must be in metric, you can work in imperial but you'll need to rescale on export, its easier to work in metric to begin with, your scene must have the aircraft nose pointing to the left when you view it from the left side, from the top the nose point to the top of the screen, these are fundamentals rarely mentioned.

There are TWO configuration settings in Max/GMax that are very frequently misunderstood:

System unit scale: must be 1 unit = 1 meter - always!

Preferences (Modeling unit scale): can be any system you are comfortable with, meters, decimal feet, inches, fractional feet, etc.

During modeling, you can switch your Preferences (the Modeling unit scale) as often as you like. Some of your source materials might be using meters for example, while other data may be in feet/inches. This setting allows you to use whichever system is most convenient for YOU...

...the System unit scale will automatically ensure that the proper conversion is done to all measurements to make them uniform and consistent!

n4gix
August 15th, 2009, 09:43
Alot of guys went to the Gmax tutorial, right to the P-38, and couldnt figure out why the instructions were so vague. All the tools for it are taught in the previous tutorials. (I'm one of them. I didnt do the early ones.. I went straight for the plane.. I quit Gmax perhaps 3 times before finally starting at step 1).

My unsolicited advice is that everyone flush that bloody P-38 tutorial in the bitbucket, since it's a naff exercise anyway. If you follow the instructions, you'll end up with a model that's backwards in the sim anyway! :pop4:

Cag40Navy
August 15th, 2009, 10:13
Bill, thanks for your help! now.....

In the Milton shupe tut on the 1st page, i see he is able to shrink one line of vert's around the whole cylinder, how do i do that? if i can atleast know how to do that, it would help me alot to! thanks!

Lionheart
August 15th, 2009, 10:33
Bill, thanks for your help! now.....

In the Milton shupe tut on the 1st page, i see he is able to shrink one line of vert's around the whole cylinder, how do i do that? if i can atleast know how to do that, it would help me alot to! thanks!

This is one of those covered in the Gmax tutorials on the basic first tools.

First, primary, main tools are Move (four arrows icon), Scale (shrinking/expanding, has 3 selections for scale, singular, macro (all) and unidirectional, which I havent figured out yet), and Rotate.

When you scale, move, or rotate something, you must;
A. Select the part
B. Select the mode (Polygons, Vertices, etc)
C. Select the tool, (Move, Rotate, Scale).

Then, hold the mouse over the Gizmo arrow of direction preferred and mouse/drag the tool/parts.... So to rotate a parts ring of Vertices, you click on Rotate tool, click on the part, go to Vertice mode, select the Vertices to rotate, then hold the mouse over the arrow (axis) of its Gizma (3 colored, 3 arrowheaded icon thing), and drag the tool and watch the Vertices rotate.

NOTE: You can rotate an entire part, just do not go into its sub-modes, such as Polygon.

NOTE 2: If you hold down your left mouse button on the Scale tool icon on top toolbar, a flyout of its 3 versions appears. Select the one you want/need. Figure on using the top two the most; Macro and Singular. Singular is for one single Axis of the Gizmo direction on an object.

:d

stiz
August 15th, 2009, 10:39
you guys forgot something .... set up the autosave feature to 5 mins or so, its a live saver :monkies:

Lionheart
August 15th, 2009, 10:39
Take head on what Fr. Bill (N4Gix) put in there. You 'cannot export a model' if you do not have that scale preset in your settings in Gmax......

Cannot...

Cag40Navy
August 15th, 2009, 10:45
Thanks Lionheart, now i want to form a body of the aircraft but im having the trouble of forming it.... any help will be a HUGE help here. and thanks to everyone here for all the help!

Mathias
August 15th, 2009, 11:57
Thanks Lionheart, now i want to form a body of the aircraft but im having the trouble of forming it.... any help will be a HUGE help here. and thanks to everyone here for all the help!

nowwaddidweallsayaboutstep#1anddoingthetutorials? :bump::bump::bump:
Basic steps on shaping geometry is covered in the turorials, matey.
You can also have a look here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=16418

FelixFFDS
August 15th, 2009, 12:47
nowwaddidweallsayaboutstep#1anddoingthetutorials? :bump::bump::bump:
Basic steps on shaping geometry is covered in the turorials, matey.
You can also have a look here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=16418

He's aiming to have the SOH MOdelling Police on his back!

Mathias
August 15th, 2009, 13:05
he's aiming to have the soh modelling police on his back!
lolololol

michael davies
August 15th, 2009, 13:17
Ahh, thats what clever people do LOL, see, I aint clever nor great on memory, so I just keep everything in metric :).

Best

Michael

There are TWO configuration settings in Max/GMax that are very frequently misunderstood:

System unit scale: must be 1 unit = 1 meter - always!

Preferences (Modeling unit scale): can be any system you are comfortable with, meters, decimal feet, inches, fractional feet, etc.

During modeling, you can switch your Preferences (the Modeling unit scale) as often as you like. Some of your source materials might be using meters for example, while other data may be in feet/inches. This setting allows you to use whichever system is most convenient for YOU...

...the System unit scale will automatically ensure that the proper conversion is done to all measurements to make them uniform and consistent!

FelixFFDS
August 15th, 2009, 14:16
Ahh, thats what clever people do LOL, see, I aint clever nor great on memory, so I just keep everything in metric :).

Best

Michael

Unless you decide to model an ark (*not the Ark Royal, in it's many forms*) in which case your modelling units should properly be cubits.

If you do, please remember that: 1 cubit [Royal Egyptian] = 0.523 5 metre

http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_all.htm

Lionheart
August 15th, 2009, 15:13
Unless you decide to model an ark (*not the Ark Royal, in it's many forms*) in which case your modelling units should properly be cubits.

If you do, please remember that: 1 cubit [Royal Egyptian] = 0.523 5 metre

http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_all.htm

My goodness man! I have looked high and low for that equasion in order to properly model a Goa-uld Death Glider!!!

Lionheart
August 15th, 2009, 15:18

Once you learn where the tools are, and how to use them, and how to 'fold, spindle, and mutilate' them, then you are off to making nice planes. Figure 2 weeks to learn the very very basics, getting things to export, etc.

Making a sophisticated object such as a fuselage is a strategic challenge. Its like playing a game of chess in a way. Like a sculptor that stands and looks at a block of marble for a week, figuring out how he will begin, how to attack the rock, and to 'see' (visualize) what it will be like is step 2 (after you learn to work the chisles and hammers).

I often will make several fuselages before I have one that I like. Dont be afraid to just make a bunch of them. Figure, the more you make, the more you learn, the more relaxed you become about modelling, etc...

Dont go to fast though.. You might get disgruntled.. angry.. develope a bitter beer face, have all your eyebrows turn gray... develop instant stress syndrome and deep breath 'sigh' syndrome...

Snuffy
August 15th, 2009, 16:24
I wanted to model too but I don't have the legs for it ... :bump:

Actually I've got GMax and unfortunately with my technical background in mechanical engineering and using engineering cad programs for the better part of my life and career, I couldn't wrap my head around the free form way of working in gmax ...

:sleep:

Lionheart
August 15th, 2009, 18:57
I wanted to model too but I don't have the legs for it ... :bump:

Actually I've got GMax and unfortunately with my technical background in mechanical engineering and using engineering cad programs for the better part of my life and career, I couldn't wrap my head around the free form way of working in gmax ...

:sleep:

Snuffy,

Gmax is awesome... I am formerly into drafting and design and technical renderings. In this program, you can work in a giant window, work in 3D, and move things around without needing a 3-View. They have 1 key shortcuts to views, such as L for Left View, and shortcuts to zoom, such as E key, and with that, you can move around (oh, and view rotate, which is V key), you can move around in blinding speeds and work even faster.....

Amazing design engine. I wish I had 3DS Max and Lightwave. They say those are even better.

Some incredible modelling software out there now...

NOTE: They 'also' have the old style 3 views, 4 views, and editable views to totally make things extremely personalized.

Bill

Snuffy
August 15th, 2009, 19:00
I'm not much into multiview when I'm doing my cad either ... I use one screen and not dual screen and I do all in 3D through one window ... using the alternate views as I need for verification.

But its the free form thing again Bill that gets me ... I'm so hardcore into everything needing a dimension and specifications. :mixedsmi:

Lionheart
August 15th, 2009, 19:11
ahhh.. I see what you're saying..

Like Organic shapes..! Its a real trick, creating a freeform object, such as a human, a nice, radically reclined, styling seat, a fuselage that has nice wingroots coming out of the sides, molded into the mesh as one piece.

It takes some studying... One of the people that taught me about blending mesh and creating parts to blend into mesh parts like that, is Kweetnix (Gerard), God rest his soul.

What you can do is make a basic rough shape and then use Smoothing with 1 or 2 Iterations to turn it into a very liquid, flowing shape. What I do now is make cross section Splines, join them, add 'Cross Sections' to it, then add 'Surface' to that as well. Adjust to 0.0 on 'noise' (tension on mesh), go to 0 or 1 Iterations, flip Polygons if needed, and Voila, you have a shape made from cross sections.

Also, to make that even easier, you can do only half the side, and clone the other side for checking. When you are finally ready to copy the one side, copy it and weld the vertices together.

For those of you that might try this, remember to use 'Edit/Clone' to clone objects, and remember to mirror them through the RH control panel flyout. Do not use the Mirror toolbar button as its corrupt when working with FS models...

Bill

Piglet
August 15th, 2009, 19:35
BEFORE ANYTHING, organize your computer setup. Decide where you want to place your project files, texture files, tuts, etc.
On my system, all of my projects, and background 3-views are in the 3DMax/scenes folder. All the tex's are in a folder I named, you guessed it, textures. Which also resides in the main Max folder.
Then sooner or later(hopefully sooner) you will have to get and organize your texturing program, tex conversion apps, and a bunch of other things for refs, airfiles, gauges, etc...

Cag40Navy
August 15th, 2009, 21:04
BEFORE ANYTHING, organize your computer setup. Decide where you want to place your project files, texture files, tuts, etc.
On my system, all of my projects, and background 3-views are in the 3DMax/scenes folder. All the tex's are in a folder I named, you guessed it, textures. Which also resides in the main Max folder.
Then sooner or later(hopefully sooner) you will have to get and organize your texturing program, tex conversion apps, and a bunch of other things for refs, airfiles, gauges, etc...

im getting there and im exploring GMAX. as soon as a learn more and get warmed up with it, ill give my first aircraft a shot.

now, while i was looking at the tut on the first page.... i see milton was able to "shrink" a row of verts on the cylinder and i want to know how he was able to "tie" that row to be smaller and more conformed ot the aircraft's shape. how am i able to do this?

Ref. of example
http://www.flightsimonline.com/C162/tutes/Index_files/Image607.jpg
If you see the row of vert around the back of the aircraft, how do you "tie" them off like that?

also, how do i put a pic of the aircraft in GMAX like in the pic also....

empeck
August 15th, 2009, 22:18
Empeck: Has that "29" in your age field turned into a "30" lately?
If yes, a belated "happy birthday" from me! :ernae:

Thanks Bjoern! Thats true, I had birthday on 4th July :D

BushAV8R
August 15th, 2009, 22:57
i

now, while i was looking at the tut on the first page.... i see milton was able to "shrink" a row of verts on the cylinder and i want to know how he was able to "tie" that row to be smaller and more conformed ot the aircraft's shape. how am i able to do this?

If you see the row of vert around the back of the aircraft, how do you "tie" them off like that?

also, how do i put a pic of the aircraft in GMAX like in the pic also....

Hey there,

I can only repeat what the others said as well. The questions you are asking are the very basic steps in modelling. In this case you would use the scale tool.
However, please do the tutorials FIRST and you will be able to figure out this stuff all by yourself. It's much more rewarding, trust me.

Again, you can also look get a lot of nice training from the 3D Buzz course, and you can watch a lot of free videos on their site. Got to

http://www.3dbuzz.com/xcart/product.php?productid=38&cat=10&page=1

..then go to the bottom of the site and find "Select a video". There you can watch all videos introducing the UI and also basic operations. For example for the scaling tool etc. watch the video "Transforming Object". The complete course is just awesome. I can really recommend it.

What you can also do, and this info might be of interest for other people too, is taking a course at he Game Institute. They offer three 3ds max courses and when you enroll, you can get a student license for 3ds Max.

http://www.gameinstitute.com/3DStudio_Max_for_Games_Module_1.html

I just enrolled in Module I, because I really want to learn the modelling process, the UI etc. in detail, before I start with an aircraft. I know, the temptation is great, to jump at an aircraft right on, but I am patient and I am pretty sure that doing it this way is paying off in the end.

...and by the way "I want to start modelling" as well :)
I haven't said "Hi" really on the forums, so I want to do that now....

I am Pete and I want to say "Hi" to this great community :wavey:

MCDesigns
August 16th, 2009, 05:01
I haven't said "Hi" really on the forums, so I want to do that now....

I am Pete and I want to say "Hi" to this great community :wavey:

Hi Pete!!! :ernae::ernae:

Bjoern
August 16th, 2009, 08:45
Thanks Bjoern! Thats true, I had birthday on 4th July :D

Oh.

Make that "belated" a "very belated" then. *Cough* :d

Note to self: Get a new brain.

Bone
August 17th, 2009, 06:49
My hat is off to you Cag40Navy, and to all of the rest of you Poly Masters. Don't forget how important Placards are when you build your models.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/5840_115331603646_548613646_2374827.jpg

Lionheart
August 17th, 2009, 07:02
My hat is off to you Cag40Navy, and to all of the rest of you Poly Masters. Don't forget how important Placards are when you build your models.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/5840_115331603646_548613646_2374827.jpg

Now that is a... um.. gland placcard!

:kilroy: :isadizzy:

By the way, for those starting out making new planes, here is a cool tip. Make your placcards as seperate floating polygon rectangles that hover over objects. This way, you can map them with high detail from another 'placcard sheet' (texture) and make them very readable. This way they dont have to be micro small a large texture sheet. Also, with practice in learning your graphics, you can replicate placcards easily, and add some smudges and scratches and niches and things for realism.

Bone
August 17th, 2009, 07:37
Now that is a... um.. gland placcard!

:kilroy: :isadizzy:

By the way, for those starting out making new planes, here is a cool tip. Make your placcards as seperate floating polygon rectangles that hover over objects. This way, you can map them with high detail from another 'placcard sheet' (texture) and make them very readable. This way they dont have to be micro small a large texture sheet. Also, with practice in learning your graphics, you can replicate placcards easily, and add some smudges and scratches and niches and things for realism.

That's a main-gear strut of a B-727, looking a bit worse for wear.

Piglet
August 17th, 2009, 11:25
I make my placards like LH says, even the PPP data plate, custom for each plane. Placards can be quite interesting when different languages are involved!

Bjoern
August 18th, 2009, 07:37

As long as you can find enough reference photos...

Lionheart
August 18th, 2009, 11:19
Here are a couple of more tips.

1. Learn to make your Mesh as basic as possible. Do not go overkill on Polygons. It can slow down your models performance in a sim. With FS2004, you actually had a limit, so you had to watch your poly counts. You also couldnt put Vertices too close together or they welded. With FSX, you dont need to worry about that. So you can make some cool, nice parts that are really small.

2. Learn texturing. Try to use real textures when you can, such as photos of tires, switches, things like that. Textures will totally make your work. Check out how others do theirs, like Carenado. Theirs are always photo real, like a photograph both inside and out, mapped to a nice Mesh model.

Learn all you can about textures and layers and shading and things. It will really pay off for you.

Note; Many modellers do not have to do textures themselves. Some painters will join up with modellers and work as a coop and create the planes, so that is a option for you if you really dont painting your own planes. I do as I was an artist for a while, so I understand shading, highlighting, and things like that. Sometimes model makers, (like draftsmen), do not always have the artist side also, which you can work around..

Also, its fun to put in some lite funny stuff now and then. :d

Bill

Mathias
August 18th, 2009, 11:35
I would have to dissagree on the use of real photos as textures.
The "pre-baked" highlights make for a nice stillife but look just wrong in realtime, plus turn it as you want you won't produce a "Gesamtkunstwerk" using this method, just a piecemeal were every part looks as if it wouldn't share the same space as it's surroundings.
There are better methods today to produce realistic surfaces such as procedural 3d maps along with physically correct lighting scenes.
You guess it, talking about texture baking.

Bjoern
August 18th, 2009, 12:34
I would have to dissagree on the use of real photos as textures.

Me too.

Especially when you've got only limited resources on your fingertips (say internet) it's difficult do get photoreality.

You can just be as fine off with the right use of texture creation techniques, like you said baking or just simply by applying the right filters.

Yet, as long as it fits well into the FSX world in terms of appearance just do whatever floats your boat.

N2056
August 18th, 2009, 15:01
A couple of observations...

First, FSX doesn't really seem to care about how many polys you use. It's how you use your materials & textures that matters. Learn about "Draw Calls" :kilroy:

Second, while I agree that texture baking is the way to go remember that it's not an option for us lowly Gmax types :d

Some good stuff being posted here :applause:

FelixFFDS
August 18th, 2009, 17:14
Also, its fun to put in some lite funny stuff now and then. :d

Bill

This is very important .... There is such a thing as taking this flightsim modelling thing too seriously!

N2056
August 18th, 2009, 17:30
Felix...
He is not ready to get into "_ _ _" features! :icon_lol:

FelixFFDS
August 18th, 2009, 18:13
Felix...
He is not ready to get into "_ _ _" features! :icon_lol:

Ahh yes. I was getting ahead of the game. Said features can only be attempted when you have attained the &th level of flightsim modelling. It is not for the faint of heart (or serious of mind).

EasyEd
August 18th, 2009, 19:48
Hey All,

Once again I need to Thank all of you. Every so often this I want to model thread shows up and it is almost always about the time I start thinking about clicking on the GMAX shortcut on my desktop. Luckily there is enough discussion about how hard and complex it is that I'm "cured" till next time.

This time it was a bit worse as I even installed sketchup as an easier start to see if I could get into it and then convert the model to GMAX through the Google Earth file route I read about somewhere. I was even foolishly thinking about starting with something as innocous as a tractor (Case CVX) for a farming sim I play before trying an airplane. However I am now "cured" again - for awhile.

I certainly appreciate all that you poly pushers do! :medals: Maybe I should try to figure out some XML programming or something instead.

-Ed-

Piglet
August 18th, 2009, 20:11
Also, its fun to put in some lite funny stuff now and then

These are before they get shrunk down into "greek" sizing.

Lionheart
August 18th, 2009, 20:44
These are before they get shrunk down into "greek" sizing.

lolol...

:ernae:

One of the wild features of one of the Eaglesoft Jets is that if you hit the landing gear knob on the ground, a voice says, 'The next time you do that, the FAA is going to be knocking on your door!' Figure the level of sophistication to get a gauge and sound system to have a voice tell you that, lol...