PDA

View Full Version : No real place for this question, so I will try here

old_fuddy_duddy
August 13th, 2009, 18:13
Hello,

I have never used CFS. Didn't even know it existed till I got FS2004 a few weeks ago. Yes, I led a sheltered life.......:icon_lol:

I want to try either CFS2 or CFS3, but I don't need to be buying both or installing both. Money and HDD space prevent that, so........

Loaded question.......... For a first time person, which version should I get?

I hear lots of bad about CFS3, just searching on the web and most say it was a failure, but is it? Is CFS2 too old to be using with XP? I imagine not...... But are the graphics outdated as in FS2004? I can see having to buy a bunch of add-on stuff before FS2004 is ever going to look good at all, is it the same with CFS2?

Anyhow, y'all own these programs and have knowledge I don't, so share some ideas about which is the better of the two, to go with...

Thanks,
Justin

Moparmike
August 13th, 2009, 18:41
Well, they're both pretty good games once you start piling on the add-ons and tweaking the programs out.

CFS2 is a bit older, but the amount of add-ons available is just astounding. If you've got a plane in mind it's probably been done for CFS2.
CFS2 runs great on XP.
CFS2 graphics are a little more "dated" looking that FS2004, but there is enough freeware improvements available to get it looking pretty good.

CFS3 isn't quite as add-on friendly (and there aren't nearly as many extras made for CFS3 as for CFS2)...but it's still a great game for online flying. I personally got bored with it's "kinda dynamic" campaign mode but if you check out the CFS3 forum here it's still a very popular game for online dogfighting via IP games (although there are still some guys doing CFS2 online as well).

I think you can find both of em for around $10 each in the bargain racks so I'll waffle a bit more and say get them both anyway! :d

Oh...and welcome to SOH!

old_fuddy_duddy
August 13th, 2009, 19:32
Thanks.

I think if I could find both for $10@ in the "Bargain Racks", I would get them!

So far Amazon has CFS3 for $8something + shipping and CFS2 can't be touched! Around $20-50 bucks.

Ebay has both, but not the originals, just something called Xplosive version. I don't know what that means.......

Still close to $30 for both, so I've been looking for other options. I have been leaning towards CFS2 because all of the add-ons I see. I even saw that some of the scenery might also work on FS2004, from what I glanced at here.....

Dangerousdave26
August 19th, 2009, 09:11
Thanks.

I think if I could find both for $10@ in the "Bargain Racks", I would get them!

So far Amazon has CFS3 for $8something + shipping and CFS2 can't be touched! Around $20-50 bucks.

Ebay has both, but not the originals, just something called Xplosive version. I don't know what that means.......

Still close to $30 for both, so I've been looking for other options. I have been leaning towards CFS2 because all of the add-ons I see. I even saw that some of the scenery might also work on FS2004, from what I glanced at here.....

Moparmike is spot on with his assessment. The only thing I would add is ignore the people who say CFS 3 is bad. Out of the box it is a dog but once you install PTO, ETO, MAW, or OFF the game changes and is worth the money paid.

Look in your Office Supply stores bargain software rack.

Staples, Office Max, Office Depot.

Also try Target the bargain software rack. I purchased CFS3 there last year for $10.

If you find a copy of CFS 2 PM me and let me know I can't find it new anywhere.

old_fuddy_duddy
August 19th, 2009, 14:55
Moparmike is spot on with his assessment. The only thing I would add is ignore the people who say CFS 3 is bad. Out of the box it is a dog but once you install PTO, ETO, MAW, or OFF the game changes and is worth the money paid.

Look in your Office Supply stores bargain software rack.

Staples, Office Max, Office Depot.

Also try Target the bargain software rack. I purchased CFS3 there last year for $10.

If you find a copy of CFS 2 PM me and let me know I can't find it new anywhere.

CFS 2 used on ebay $9.95 including shipping. I just bought it.
Off and on, I see them on ebay used. I've been watching. I see new CFS 2 on ebay also, but usually it's about $30-50.
I bought CFS 3 from Amazon, again it's used $8.95 including shipping. I will see what they are like. Most of the time used does ot have any original manuals, etc. Just the CD/DVD in a sleeve or holder. It works for me.

What is "PTO, ETO, MAW, or OFF", I am not good at abbreviations. It took me about 10 years to figure out what the heck is LOL. Not kidding.......

Dangerousdave26
August 19th, 2009, 18:16
They are all addons that create a second or addiontional install of the game with their enhancements. You must have a plain jane install of CFS 3 to load them in. Their software will copy the default install and add their add ons to the new install.

ETO Eastern Theater Operations

MAW Mediterranean Air War

PTO Pacific Theater Operations

OFF Over Flanders Fields (WW1 based) Not free ware but a fine add on none the less.

hairyspin
August 21st, 2009, 11:00
They are all addons that create a second or addiontional install of the game with their enhancements. You must have a plain jane install of CFS 3 to load them in. Their software will copy the default install and add their add ons to the new install.

ETO Eastern Theater Operations....

Not quite. CFS3 out of the box is set in Europe - ETO is a complete rework of its original WW2 European Theatre of Operations and is a vast improvement on the original. It makes standard CFS3 look quite shabby! As does MAW. And OFF. PTO is being updated and the next version will be released some time this autumn.

Dave is quite right about needing a plain installation of CFS3 to install any of these, but it's a plain installation updated to CFS3.1a The updates are available from Microsoft:- http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/ (http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/)

Lots more information at the CFS3 forum here at SOH:- http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?f=7 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)

Hope to see you there! :wavey: