PDA

View Full Version : Good God its for Sale...

Dangerousdave26
August 12th, 2009, 15:55
Somebody call AVSIM QUICK

Looks like the Tornado Cup Trophy has been Stolen...

That or they just need to raise funds for new planes next year. :icon_lol:

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/transportation/gaspowered.htm#AVIATION

Click on the "Really nice 1939 figural GAS AIRPLANE" link.

Now Fess Guys which one of you did this :icon_lol:

salt_air
August 12th, 2009, 16:36
Holy Cow Dave!,

I see what you mean and it shows as a 1939 trophy!

Tornado Wilkes must be older than originally thought....

Who would do something like that? :kilroy:

Nice detective work there.

Willy
August 12th, 2009, 18:21
Yall remember that spell where the Merc Air entry in the Evita race was missing for a week or so? Nothing happened. ;)

buzzbee
August 13th, 2009, 17:12
Lovely. The Race committee should take up donations and buy it. They do such an excellent job putting on the event.

srgalahad
August 13th, 2009, 17:17
Having just talked to the owner of the antique shop which has it listed it's engraved:
Mailings Mens Shoes
Model Airplane Gas Championship
Senior Division

Note: on the website there are two photos of different trophies from 1939, however both are for sale and the first one shown is the one in question.

The price is $395.00 ( possibly negotiable). The trophy stands about 11" high and weighs about 5 pounds.

I'm in the process of sending a PM to the RTWR Race Committee to get their opinions

Apparently others don't see it the way we do:
http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=199910

Rob

Willy
August 13th, 2009, 17:49
Hmmm... I sense a serious lack of a sense of humor.

jkcook28
August 13th, 2009, 17:53
Wow, didn't take much to get them bent out of shape...sheesh. :sheep:

Moparmike
August 13th, 2009, 18:20
Wow...the FS.com thread sure got grumpy in a hurry! A serious lack of sense of humor set in over there. Kinda reminds me of why I stopped flying for the two-time cup winners. :monkies:

As for the one remark about it being a different trophy...well, the poster better look at the first photo closer. That's the image that's been used for the Tornado Trophy since the FSRTW race inception.
http://www.fsrtwrace.com/about.htm :d

Now...I'm not real sure about Merc Air's involvement in all this. I heard a couple reports of a black Electra Jr. lurking around a dirt strip not too far from the Avsim trophy room. :engel016:

MaddogK
August 13th, 2009, 18:59
LOL NICE find !
I was considering it since there's 2 different trophy's shown in the ad until I read

figural
Almost had my imaginary check book out.

srgalahad
August 13th, 2009, 19:36
Actually, there are four trophys of similar nature in the shop. I suspect that like football trophies today they were mass-produced and widely for sale. I believe all four were used for model aircraft competitions ( the second one pictured was for an indoor flying contest).

One thing most of us don't realize is the entire popularity of flying in the Golden Age. The 1936 (?) Thompson Trophy races in Cleveland sold 100,000 tickets PER DAY to watch the races. If you have seen the movie "Test Pilot" with Clark Gable & Spencer Tracy all the background footage is from real races in the 30's.

So, these are probably common trophies but of value because they were awarded in 1939. I didn't explain our interest to the shop owner (why let him know we're motivated?) but he was quite helpful, so lets let this one ride out to it's ending whichever way it goes.

Rob

RedGreen
August 13th, 2009, 23:19
Wow...the FS.com thread sure got grumpy in a hurry! A serious lack of sense of humor set in over there. Kinda reminds me of why I stopped flying for the two-time cup winners. :monkies:

Hey! Hey! Hey!

(IT'S FAT ALBERT!!!!!)

Actually, what I was going to say is this: Don't lump the FSMPA into the group who've had their senses of humor amputated. Nobody who expressed displeasure in that thread is a regular flyer with us (save for LJ922, one of the founders of the group and a man we all admire and respect in the FSMPA, who I'm sure was more concerned with keeping a sense of order on the boards than being a humor Nazi).

Trust me when I say that if you attend one of our events, you'll find one of the wittiest group of flyers on the internet. I don't even want to know how many dirty jokes we've passed back and forth during the long nights of RTW week. :bump:

Please don't see this as a bad reflection of the FlightSim Multi-Player Adventures Team. Blame those who didn't "get the joke" and piss on other people's fun. Let them play with themselves.....(hee, hee, hee, :icon_lol:)....while we have all the good times. :jump:

I'll end this post with a memorable quote from one of my favorite cartoon characthers: Eric Duckman.....

"Comedy should provoke! It should blast through prejudices, challenge preconceptions! Comedy should always leave you different than when it found you. Sure, humor can hurt, even alienate, but the risk is better than the alternative: a steady diet of innocuous, child-proof, flavorless mush! Demand to be challenged, to be offended, to be treated like thinking, reasoning adults. And raise your children to be the same. Don't let a comedian, a network, a Congressional committee, or an evil genius take away your freedom to laugh at whatever you want."

:USA-flag:

salt_air
August 14th, 2009, 03:33
Seems as though the wrong folks are in "power" just about everywhere these days.

Save da drama for ya mama....:wiggle:

Moparmike
August 14th, 2009, 07:34
Hey! Hey! Hey!

(IT'S FAT ALBERT!!!!!)

Actually, what I was going to say is this: Don't lump the FSMPA into the group who've had their senses of humor amputated. Nobody who expressed displeasure in that thread is a regular flyer with us (save for LJ922, one of the founders of the group and a man we all admire and respect in the FSMPA, who I'm sure was more concerned with keeping a sense of order on the boards than being a humor Nazi).

Trust me when I say that if you attend one of our events, you'll find one of the wittiest group of flyers on the internet. I don't even want to know how many dirty jokes we've passed back and forth during the long nights of RTW week. :bump:

Please don't see this as a bad reflection of the FlightSim Multi-Player Adventures Team. Blame those who didn't "get the joke" and piss on other people's fun. Let them play with themselves.....(hee, hee, hee, :icon_lol:)....while we have all the good times. :jump:

I'll end this post with a memorable quote from one of my favorite cartoon characthers: Eric Duckman.....

"Comedy should provoke! It should blast through prejudices, challenge preconceptions! Comedy should always leave you different than when it found you. Sure, humor can hurt, even alienate, but the risk is better than the alternative: a steady diet of innocuous, child-proof, flavorless mush! Demand to be challenged, to be offended, to be treated like thinking, reasoning adults. And raise your children to be the same. Don't let a comedian, a network, a Congressional committee, or an evil genius take away your freedom to laugh at whatever you want."

:USA-flag:

Point taken Red. I will have to retract that remark.
Like everywhere else (ahem...who me?...::redface:) there are occasionally a few that miss the joke much less the punchline, and yes keeping order in the forums can be a not-so-fun job if you're not privy to all the inside jokes.

You still gotta wonder how the Tornado Trophy wound up in some antique dealer's store though! :d

srgalahad
August 14th, 2009, 08:52
Aww.. Mike.. you don't mean to say that those in the upper ranks are human??? We always think of you as more... ummm.. let me think on that for a bit...

Red's right and I told him so. Now if anyone else doubts the sincerity of the FSMPA guys, keep a lid on it in the forum, please. We want to keep them around so we can tease them.

I'd suggest we instead look at their finances.. <insert inside joke here..> they may be trying to raise funds to buy more Shockwave P-51 SuperHot Mustangs to fill out their fleet.
:running:

Back to the serious business..
If we do get a tidal wave of interest, I'm in for a few bucks to rescue the trophy from the foggy bottom of Seattle where it now resides.

Rob

jt_dub
August 14th, 2009, 12:10
Just jumping in to say that I'll be happy to provide some bucks to aquire the "real deal" Tornado Trophy.

Highmike
August 14th, 2009, 14:12
Just jumping in to say that I'll be happy to provide some bucks to aquire the "real deal" Tornado Trophy.

I'll be following this one with interest too!

arrvoo
August 14th, 2009, 15:16
Same here, that really would be awesome.
And tee hee to the humour failures.

My guess is buzz is trying to make a few bucks for a new pc :icon_lol:

teson1
August 15th, 2009, 02:37
I definitely would chuck in some for the trophy.

And like the idea that the trophy travels between winning team members as proposed at avsim.
However, we should also consider the cost of shipping. I mean team flightsim has members all over the world... we'll have to ship US-Europe-Australia and wherever else next year. ;)

RFields
August 15th, 2009, 05:08
It was not the FlightSim.com MP folks who got grumpy..........

Edit

Had to remove my comments, have to make sure I dont' upsed the thought police

Dangerousdave26
August 15th, 2009, 05:31
It was not the FlightSim.com MP folks who got grumpy,

{out of respect for reggie I removed my quote of his removed comments}

I think we all knew it was not our normal MP Friends who were involved with locking the thread. At least I did not recognize any of the names involved with it.

Its also quite obvious that those who want to know will be stopping by the Sim-Outhouse for an update.

Same here, that really would be awesome.
And tee hee to the humour failures.

My guess is buzz is trying to make a few bucks for a new pc :icon_lol:

And I will not stand for Buzz's integrity being impugned on this SITE...

He is not looking to get a NEW PC....

{just some rudder pedals and maybe a down payment on a new yoke system...

and an extra throttle quadrant.} :icon_lol:

svenks
August 16th, 2009, 01:21
....AND a new CPU
....AND some more RAM
....AND a new motherboard
(whar did I leave out? - Oh yes:)
...AND a new case

Other than that - noooo :-)

BRGDS
Sven

Kowalski65
August 17th, 2009, 10:14
Isn't that what we ALL want (we have to get FSX running properly somehow!:jump:)