PDA

View Full Version : Tri-motor question

jhefner
August 11th, 2009, 09:53
I am working on a project for FS that was seriously considered, but never built because they could not overcome the major technical issues. (Much easier to do in FS and CFS :wiggle: )

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=19404

It is a tri-motor aircraft. I assume that the engine in the nose is #1, and has the alternator needed to start the other two engines. I then assume that the engine on right wing is #2 and is started next, followed by #3 on the left wing. So, from left to right, the order is 3,1,2.

Looking at the engine guages, I assume they are also in the same order, i.e. 3,1,2. Likewise, the engine, prop pitch, and mixture levers are also in the same 3,1,2 order.

Finally, I have the throttles on the pilots right on the center console, with the pitch levers to their right on the co-pilot's left. I have the mixture levers below them in the center, and smaller in size. (I had the throttles and mixture levers bent away from each other, but then realized that arrangement was for duel throttle levers, and centered them instead.)

Does that all make sense? Since it was never built, there are no photograrphs to go by; I have been looking at pictures of Ju-52/3ms, Savoia Marchetti trimotors, and other two- and three-motor planes of the period to get a basic idea.

-Thanks in advance;
James

Moses03
August 18th, 2009, 13:03
James- This is a very interesting project. What you said about the controls makes sense to me. I don't have anything that would spell it out diagram-wise.

Ferry_vO
August 18th, 2009, 13:11
Definitely want that flying sub! :applause:

As for the engine order: I know that on some aircraft the right engine(s) was started first because the pilot could only hear but not see that engine.

:)

jhefner
August 19th, 2009, 09:07
Thanks, guys, for your feeback.

I finally got the guages/props/levers all in the proper order. What you said Moses03 about starting the right hand engine first makes sense; I thought starting the front engine on a tri-motor first made sense for the same reason.

I have finished modeling all of the parts; just need to finish the texturing. precise3dmodeling.com has made a fine exterior model of the LPL; I think I want to redo the exterior texturing; though I doubt it would ever look as good as this.

http://precise3dmodeling.com/gallery/images/lodka_large.jpg

I am also getting different cruise performance in FS2004, FS2002, and CFS2; will pick the brains of the FDE experts here to see if they can help.

-James