PDA

View Full Version : Advice; Hybrid Propulsion Sound System

Lionheart
August 10th, 2009, 14:12
Hey all,

I thought I would pose this question here also, as well as Dev websites.

I wish to do a Hybrid engine, but will be using a single propulsion platform or 'airfile'.

I would like the aircraft to do two things.

1. Have two versions of engine sounds.

2. Have two versions of fuel burn.

Question one; Can I have a moderately increased fuel burn via 'Emergency Power' where fuel will be burned at double speed?

Question two; Has anyone done engine sound files that can be 'changed' by gauge code? Is it possible to do this for a engine sound pack? Can one perhaps replicate the engine sound system in steps via throttle position in percent steps? Say 8 steps of sound in 15% ranges?

Its a tall order...

The aircraft will feature a hybrid propulsion system; hybrid cumbustion engine with a fuel cell powered electric motor. The motor would be able to run for 1 hour, where the fuel engine (hydrogen) could run for 4 to 5 hours.

That is the difficult part, is having the E-motor run for only 1 hour, and the fueled version cumbustion engine run for 4 to 5 hours (max and economy cruises).

Any thoughts would be welcome... My thoughts presently are to find a way to run the engine for 1 hour, with a gradual decrease in power (loss of power) near the end, having a gauge timer running this. But switching between the two is the difficult part. One moment, it runs for 4+ hours, one moment, only for an hour and gets weaker.

Switching sounds is going to be a nightmare also... If only like a twin engine, and have the secondary engine sound running... Like a Cessna MixMaster? (Skymaster). (I didnt think of that... arrgh.. ansers one question).

If only I could tune each of the engines instead of them having a common file tune. Guages will have to work on that part...

Edit; So I guess Question three would now be; how one would go about having engine one run for 4+ hours, and engine two, run for only 1 hour...

Bill

Piglet
August 10th, 2009, 15:15
Did you get that E motor off E bay?
Seriously, one of FS's drawbacks is lack of multi-type engine support.
Thru clever (read that as beyond my skill level) XML gauge trickery, one might be able to control fuel consumption to each engine. Maybe same with sound file .cfg?

Question one; Can I have a moderately increased fuel burn via 'Emergency Power' where fuel will be burned at double speed?

There are afterburner fuel burn settings that can be tweaked, as with piston engine boost/turbo/supercharge settings. But that stuff may only come with Accell add-on
Don't know how helpful all this is...

Lionheart
August 10th, 2009, 20:30
Thanks Tim.

It needs to work in FS9 as well as FSX though so FSX Accel is out.

This is going to be a real puzzle... :isadizzy: