PDA

View Full Version : My new laptop died. Need suggestions.

Navy Chief
August 10th, 2009, 10:46
I should have known better than to buy a laptop from Radio Shack. That was a mistake. My laptop (bought just last month) croaked this morning. The supposed "built-in" recovery system didn't work. So much for innovative technology. I immediately took the piece of s..... laptop back to RS, and got my money back.

Ok shipmates, here's what I am wanting. I would like a laptop that will run FS2004 easily, and with great framerates. I have both FSX and FS9, but (correct me if I am mistaken) I don't think I need as powerful a laptop for FS9 as I would for FSX, right?

Anyway, the laptop does NOT need to have a cd/dvd drive. I have a really great Plextor external to do that job.

Suggestions on brands? I would like to keep the cost around $400, if possible.

NC

Tako_Kichi
August 10th, 2009, 16:10
I just bought an excellent 'refurbished' Gateway dual core laptop from Tiger Direct for a little bit more than you want to pay. I was very, very leery about the fact it was refurbished but I had previously bought a factory refurbished printer from them and when it arrived I could not tell it from a brand new one, it was perfect in every way. The Gateway laptop was the same thing, absolutely pristine and it came with Vista 64 already loaded on it.

I haven't loaded FS9 or FSX onto it as it was bought for use upstairs in my new 'music room' and for use by my 16 year old daughter so she will stop pestering my wife to use her computer all the time.

One thing to be wary of is the graphics capability as a lot of laptops use 'shared' memory and not a true GFX chip and therefore will not have the resources that flight sims need.

There are some bargains to be had at the moment in the way of refurbished laptops and I can only say my experience has been very good so far.

Navy Chief
August 10th, 2009, 17:27
Thanks, Tako....I will check into that!

NC

txnetcop
August 10th, 2009, 19:12
Here ya go Chief, believe it or not it is actually faster and gives better graphics than some $1100 notebook computers. Very dependable and you order more memory for it very inexpensively but it will run FS9 as is
Ted
If you need help tweaking the video card for hires flying just ask I will be glad to help

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4636888&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=10&body=REVIEWS#tabs

Tako_Kichi
August 10th, 2009, 19:55
This is the one I picked up....

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4636883&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

The prices in there are in CDN $ BTW.

txnetcop
August 10th, 2009, 20:20
Here are a couple of pics right off my wife's Gateway notebook which is the one I sent you to look at

Navy Chief
August 10th, 2009, 21:21
Here are a couple of pics right off my wife's Gateway notebook which is the one I sent you to look at

That looks like just what I want! Now to figure out the financial end of it, and get it. THANKS!

NC

txnetcop
August 10th, 2009, 21:51
I believe people should know exactly what they are buying so here is a review of the graphics card:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Radeon-HD-3200.9591.0.html

and the notebook:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Gateway-MD2614u.14618.0.html

The only thing I hate about her laptop is the weak speakers in front. Not enough volumn for me so I use a headset when flying...that is when she lets me use it LOL!
Ted

GT182
August 11th, 2009, 04:35
Chief, take it back to Radio Crap and get your money back. There should be a warranty on it. If not raise hell about it.

Navy Chief
August 11th, 2009, 08:57
Chief, take it back to Radio Crap and get your money back. There should be a warranty on it. If not raise hell about it.

Oh, believe me, I took it back immediately and was credited the full amount BACK. And I won't buy from RS again. I don't know what possessed me to in the first place. Definitely a lapse in judgment.

NC

GT182
August 11th, 2009, 15:32
Definitely a lapse in judgment.

NC

LOL.... yeah, the older we get the more of those we seems to have. ;)