PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for me

AussieMan
August 10th, 2009, 04:10
Today is a sad day for me. I had to put one of my cats to sleep. Her name was Muddy Puss, a name chosen by my then 9 year old daughter. I called her Mudguts because she was always hungry. My daughter chose her from a friend's litter along with her brother we called 'squirt'. He is a big Persian while his sister was a plain black moggy but I still loved her as I live on my own and count my pets as family.

She was 15 years old and for most of her life she only had one eye as a result of trying to steal some of my dog's dinner while he was eating it. He did not like this and snapped at her and unfortunately caught her in the left eye.

This did not affect her hunting skills as she used to catch birds and snakes while outside. Inside she was a bloody good mouser.

Recently she started bleeding from the eye and lost her appatite and was always trying to find somewhere to hide.

Anyway I took her to the vet this afternoon only to be informed she would need surgery to have wha remained of the eye removed. I was told that because of her age and condition it was likely sh would not survive the surgery.

It was then I had to make the heart breaking decision to put her to sleep. I did not have the heart or strength to stay and help so I had to leave.

Tonight Squirt has been looking all around the kitchen, dining room and the lounge room looking for and calling her.

Pat

Heather
August 10th, 2009, 04:35
Ow!

I know all too well how hard this is for you and you have my sympathy. We had to put down Megan, our Wolf/Shepherd mix some years back and I still often think about and miss her. She was a great dog.

Best wishes!

Heather

Mick
August 10th, 2009, 04:50
I'm really sorry about your loss.

This must be very hard on your daughter, too, after being together for more than half her life!

I completely understand how you feel about your cats, as my Boys are like family to me, too. I was devastated when I lost The Boys v1.0, Scooter in 2005 to his second heart attack following injuries from an accident, then Rusty in 2006, also to a heart attack after surviving Vaccine-Associated Sarcoma for more than five years. I know how devastated I'll be again when The Boys v2.0 finally leave me, hopefully many years from now.

Fifteen's a pretty good age for a cat, and I think you did right in setting her free rather than putting her through a surgery that she was so unlikely to survive. I'm sure she felt your love right up through her final breath.

That love will live on in your heart, a little bit of Muddy Puss that will never leave you. I hope it won't be too long before that love begins to temper your sorrow with joyful memories of your years together.

You have my deepest sympathy.

Mick (& The Boys)

Snuffy
August 10th, 2009, 04:53
Always a sad time when a friend passes ... :engel016:

Daveroo
August 10th, 2009, 05:59
oh my..another loss in our community...haley and i want to pass our condolances to you....im sure this cat will be missed greatly...haley is 14 this year and it scares me deeply......sigh

Cloud9Gal
August 10th, 2009, 06:32
Awwwwww Pat http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/sad/weepy.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com) I am so sorry to hear that! Makes it even more difficult when you were not expecting to have to make that on-the-spot decision.

Hugs to you! http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/romantic/hug.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

Quicksand
August 10th, 2009, 06:32
Pat, my prayers are with you buddy. I grew up in a home where our pets were regarded nearly equal status with my sister, brother, and me. No matter how many feet we had, we would fight for eachother, and occasionally with eachother like family. When my four legged brothers and sisters died, we mourned them as equal, also. I am blessed to carry their spirits with me through life, and the memories we made together have helped me to cope when things go badly. The same, I am sure, will be true for you. This is my prayer, my friend.:engel016:

FlyTexas
August 10th, 2009, 07:00
Deepest sympathies, Pat. :frown:

Brian

mike_cyul
August 10th, 2009, 07:17
I'll second what Mick said. Never easy. Deepest sympathies.

Mike

gajit
August 10th, 2009, 07:30
Im so sad just reading this as I remember Toby our Tabby - got to 17 years. We, including Barney the retriever, miss him even a few years on.

Words are just words - i feel for you.

letsgetrowdy
August 10th, 2009, 07:50
My cat, who was put to sleep last year lived to the ripe old age of 24 years old ( some thing like 150 in cat years)...A considerable age

It is older than me, and my dad had it before he met mum...
If your cat's only 14, you have nothing to worry about

Cactuskid
August 10th, 2009, 08:07
Sorry to hear of your loss mate. I know how hard it is to make that decision. I lost my beloved 10 yr. old German Shepherd mix Aimee two weeks ago. Even though we know it's the right thing to do, it's still an agonizing decision to make. My thoughts are with you and your family...

cheezyflier
August 10th, 2009, 08:21
i'm sorry. hang in there :kilroy:

robcap
August 10th, 2009, 08:31
Hi Pat,

sounds teribble, mate, I feel for you. Hang in there.
My cat is 18, so I also dread the near future, but still she seems to be going strong, exept for the usual old age things.

Cheers, Rob

TomSteber
August 10th, 2009, 09:25
So sorry to hear. I know what that's like to have to do. Not easy. They are family. Hang in there the best you can and really shower your other one with attention. It'll need it to.

TARPSBird
August 10th, 2009, 10:29
Very sorry for your loss, Pat. Our pets become very important parts of our lives it hurts when they leave us. Hang in there.

Navy Chief
August 10th, 2009, 10:56
Aussieman,

I am so, so sorry you had to let Muddy Puss go. Losing a pet is so painful to bear. I love all of our cats, plus my Rottweiler so much. They fill my life with such happiness. I will be thinking of you today.

Pete

mariereid
August 10th, 2009, 12:07
Sorry Pat. Over here you have the option of going in with your pet, and stay with your pet until it is over. I did this with my dog Maggie. I never felt worse in my life. I think the vet added a side door to the room after that, so you could sneak out without everyone seeing you cry. I know how you feel.

Lionheart
August 10th, 2009, 12:56
My condolences Pat.

Losing a family member who is well loved, having been with you all for 15 years is a terrible loss. May you all endure this terrible time.

Bill

Blackbird686
August 10th, 2009, 15:34
I'm so sorry to hear that Pat...

Several months ago I lost my oldest cat, his name was Dalton. He lived a long and happy life but I was still shaken a bit when he died. That cat was my friend when no one else wanted to be. I miss him still, even though he is survived by two siblings, "Midnite" and "Grumpy". It'll never be the same.

So I share your pain, in the sorrow of the loss of your friend, mate.

BB686:USA-flag:

GT182
August 10th, 2009, 15:45
Sorry to hear it Pat. It's just as hard to lose a pet as it is a loved one. Sometimes even more so, you get that attached. Thinking of you too, like everyone else is.

jbtate
August 10th, 2009, 17:44
My cat Amelia just came in through her pet door, meowing for her dinner. I'll give her an extra treat for Muddy Puss.
Hang in,
jbtate