PDA

View Full Version : Distraction on final

limjack
August 9th, 2009, 12:55
At least for me. Took a flight from Ksea to Ksfo today. So just as I was entering the bay area over the water another plane was on final for 28L. I found myself watching him out the window instead of paying attention to my own final approach on 28R. All ended well and really enjoyed the side by side landing.

Jim

peter12213
August 9th, 2009, 13:46
Nice clouds

limjack
August 9th, 2009, 14:08
From Seattle to just south a Portland the REX clouds hung in there. I have got my sliders maxed out on the weather. Absolutely love the REX weather engine.

Jim

Mithrin
August 9th, 2009, 15:11
Oh that's really cool when that happens! One of those FS moments you remember!:ernae:

JIMJAM
August 9th, 2009, 15:15
Ok talk me into or out of REX.
I have always and currently ran Active sky advanced with FEX cloud textures and sky.
I am interested in the overall visual differences,performance and how REX renders the weather differently from ASX. How is fog,vis,cloud popping ect.
Any info or thoughts welcomed.

Nice pics and with Mytraffic I have had many close calls with ai especially near big cities. The NE is clogged above 50%.

Bjoern
August 9th, 2009, 15:58
Ah, the joys of AI...

I like watching other aircraft...in FSX as well as in real-life. The difference being that in FSX, I get to look down on them instead of having to look up. :d

And speaking of AI *traffic* having to wait in line because you accidentially set up your flight during rush-hour absolutely blows.
Last experienced at Edmonton. xP

deathfromafar
August 9th, 2009, 16:08
Flying the final by hand huh? Is why I maintain everything on Auto until short final. I keep the Autothrottle set and AP set on Approach Hold while managing the flow by myself. At short final, I switch everything off and fly in by hand.

hey_moe
August 9th, 2009, 16:12
The clouds shot is sweet:ernae:

Bjoern
August 9th, 2009, 16:45
Flying the final by hand huh? Is why I maintain everything on Auto until short final. I keep the Autothrottle set and AP set on Approach Hold while managing the flow by myself. At short final, I switch everything off and fly in by hand.

Same here. Even in bad conditions.

limjack
August 9th, 2009, 19:50
Ok talk me into or out of REX.
I have always and currently ran Active sky advanced with FEX cloud textures and sky.
I am interested in the overall visual differences,performance and how REX renders the weather differently from ASX. How is fog,vis,cloud popping ect.
Any info or thoughts welcomed.

Nice pics and with Mytraffic I have had many close calls with ai especially near big cities. The NE is clogged above 50%.

I am afraid I can't talk you into or out of REX, I have only experienced with Microsofts weather and REX. I am sure others will have there opinion of ASX. So far my experience with REX has been a good one since the update but I have only flown a few trips in the Northwest so weather has been the same. This next week I hope to find some time to check around the world in REX and find me some storms or heavy weather and see how it does. I do take some performance hit (around the BIG cities) only because of my own greed of pushing the weather sliders to the right. It just looks soooo goood when you have weather all around you.

Jim

limjack
August 9th, 2009, 20:26

I fly both ways, sometimes using the AP and other times by hand all the way in. Just depends on the mood. I enjoy both.

Jim

limjack
August 12th, 2009, 10:09
JIMJAM
Some shots within heavy weather!

Went to South Carolina today 08/12/09. Looks like they were getting hammered with T-storms and loaded up the Rex engine. Wow, what a light show all around me and even what looked to be a tornado but just a low laying cloud. At one point I landed on the ground and turned off engines and just watched the storm all around me. Lightning and flashes everywhere and if lightning hit near my location you would really get rattled with thunder! Then changed setting to night and that was beyond cool. Enjoy the shots!!

Jim

JIMJAM
August 12th, 2009, 11:40
Yes there seems to a line or two of big thunderstorms passing through everyday here during the summer.
I live right in the middle of falcon country and hear F-16s all the time. We have KMMT and Shaw AFB KSSC nearby. Also FT Jackson fills the skies with Apaches and Blackhawks.
I live right on the edge of a MOA and its not uncommon for the Falcon jocks to bust the barrier and blame it on thunder. The people,my pets and wildlife do not even pay attention to the booms anymore.
Thats some nicely rendered storms.
My ASX,GEX,FEX and Xgraphics seems almost identical at least to me so I will leave it alone.