http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/FW190a1panel.jpg

EgoR64
October 21st, 2008, 13:28
:wiggle:

Ehmmmm, Big Dipper Maybe ??

LOL !!

Wittpilot
October 21st, 2008, 13:29
Roger, I half expect this to be one of those things you send people in an email to their office at work where a picture of a hideous ghost pops up and the computer screams at me...........waiting..........waiting............ waiting...........okay, no screams....

-witt

Ferry_vO
October 21st, 2008, 13:33
Matthias' FW-190..?

Nice glow! :applause:

Roger
October 21st, 2008, 13:38
Matthias' FW-190..?

Nice glow! :applause:

:d:d

deimos256
October 21st, 2008, 13:40
ah darn everyone beat me to it

Tako_Kichi
October 21st, 2008, 13:46
Looks like a huge amount of radioactive paint was used in that pit! I hope the pilot has lead undies on! :icon_lol:

Mathias
October 21st, 2008, 13:50
Looks like a huge amount of radioactive paint was used in that pit! I hope the pilot has lead undies on! :icon_lol:

Jupp, they used quite a bit of it, though I'm still trying to find out if the outline of the placards was also painted with "Leuchtpaste".

Roger
October 21st, 2008, 14:00

Had a Westclox wind-up alarm clock with radium painted hands on my bedside table for at least 10 years in the mid 50s to 60s...and it didn't do me any harm:icon_twi::icon_twi:

N2056
October 21st, 2008, 14:53
The Radium paint is not a problem as long as you don't get it inside of you...and that was what got a lot of people that painted those dials sick & worse! Seems that many of them would lick the brush to get a good point on it before dipping it into the paint again...:isadizzy:

Roger
October 21st, 2008, 15:03
Fortunately I didn't eat my clock:costumes:

Lionheart
October 21st, 2008, 17:02
LOLOL....

Pretty funny.. well, I take that back. thats not.

Man, that is one heck of a nice, realistic glow! Well done!

Bill

Tako_Kichi
October 21st, 2008, 17:02
LOL...I had one of those Westclox alarm clocks too in the late 60's and we had those glow-in-the-dark plastic icicles on the Christmas tree every year. :costumes:

MudMarine
October 21st, 2008, 18:04
OK it's about time for some German iron!! When's the butcher bird going to be ready?

heywooood
October 21st, 2008, 18:37
you can just make out the ammo counters near the top of the panel...

is it a Dora?

Bjoern
October 22nd, 2008, 03:10
"Fahrwerk aus"?
"Landeklappen aus"?

Sounds like a translation error to me. Or it could be referring to the status lights, if the 190 had any.

But then again, I'm no 190 expert, I prefer its smaller, bavarian counterpart...

Yet, nice modelling, texturing et al so far!

Mathias
October 22nd, 2008, 05:52
"Fahrwerk aus"?
"Landeklappen aus"?

Sounds like a translation error to me. Or it could be referring to the status lights, if the 190 had any.

But then again, I'm no 190 expert, I prefer its smaller, bavarian counterpart...

Yet, nice modelling, texturing et al so far!

"aus" wie "ausfahren", "ein" wie "einfahren"
Einwandfreies Technik-Altdeutsch.
So haben unsere Altvorderen das gemacht. :wavey:

Mathias
October 22nd, 2008, 06:36
Hmm, maybe it's time for a little daytime cockpit w.i.p. preview?
Forward panel is 99% done modelling-wise, currently tuning the textures..
Note there's no weathering applied yet.
Everything in 3d. :costumes:

http://www.classics-hangar.de/vorschau/fw190_forward_pit_1.jpg

http://www.classics-hangar.de/vorschau/fw190_forward_pit_2.jpg

http://www.classics-hangar.de/vorschau/fw190_forward_pit_3.jpg

maguireted
October 22nd, 2008, 07:32
I am dazzled , You are a master . Regards , Anna

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
October 22nd, 2008, 09:08
Mathias ,two years ago i thought your gauge renders and their use as sim artwork was as good as it gets and you have managed to hold on to #1.

Uber Cool..

Nick C
October 22nd, 2008, 09:35
I think a little drool just escaped the corner of my mouth! :applause::applause::applause:

empeck
October 22nd, 2008, 11:08
Now you've done it. I guess I'll have to add some detail to my Orlik :costumes:

Stunning work.

Bjoern
October 22nd, 2008, 12:05
"aus" wie "ausfahren", "ein" wie "einfahren"
Einwandfreies Technik-Altdeutsch.
So haben unsere Altvorderen das gemacht. :wavey:

Oooops, totally forgot you're german! :redf:

Okay, ich glaube dir deswegen einfach mal. ;) :d

Mathias
October 24th, 2008, 08:24
Thanks much Lady(s) and Gentlemen! :wavey:

There'll be three parts over the time.
Plan is to release the first batch right in time for the christmas tree, end November/early December. This will be the early Fw190 variants, A-1 to A-4.
So far the first package includes 28 skins and a number of different models reflecting all production variants that actually saw service.
There'll be no phantasy/myth or test-only planes like GM1-equipped Fw190 or MW50 injection prior to the A-8.
Every variant will have a cockpit and external model that'll reflect it's original counterpart.
Part 2 and three will be released in the coming month then.
Purchasers of one variant will be able to get the other parts at an upgrade price.

Part #2 will be the later variants A-5 to A-9 including the F fighter bombers and G long range fighter bombers.

Part #3 will complete the trilogie with the Dora and the Ta152.

Panther_99FS
October 24th, 2008, 08:27
Thanks for the update Mathias! :applause:

huub vink
October 24th, 2008, 09:11
The radiation from the Radium used on instruments wasn't considered high risk during the war. The time the pilots were actually exposed was quite limited and it was much more likely the pilot got shot, before he developed a radiation related disease. As N2056 already mentioned the "dial painters" used to lick their brush to get a sharp point. As Radium is a so called bone seaker it gets stores in the bones causing leukaemia. Many young women had died because of this before they discovered the source.

However in peace time the accepted dose is much lower. I know somebody who measured the doserate inside the cockpits from several historic warbirds. The dose rate in most of these cockpits was actually above the maximum accepted limit for occupational exposure. However as the the aircrafts are only flown occasionally and not occupational it is regarded as acceptable.

To get back to the original subject, the gauges by Mathias look great during the night and also in daylight, but they even look better in close up!

Huub

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/clocks.jpg

empeck
October 24th, 2008, 11:05
OK, I have to ask. How many triangles?

Techy111
October 24th, 2008, 14:09
I think a little drool just escaped the corner of my mouth! :applause::applause::applause:

I think i had a little dribble as well.....:redf:

Tony

Mathias
October 24th, 2008, 15:54
OK, I have to ask. How many triangles?

You mean per gauge?
Average 500 - 2500 depending on complexity.
There's quite a bit of CG hocuspocus going on, I'm not planning to break the world record on poligon abuse. :kilroy:

Henry
October 24th, 2008, 16:27
Mathias
you are working hard to convert me from mossies :applause:
you may win!
H

Mathias
October 24th, 2008, 16:31
Mathias
you are working hard to convert me from mossies :applause:
you may win!
H
You know I'm trying hard for years now. :costumes:
On a serious note, I'm kinda with you on the mossie addiction ever since I first flew that Burnage (IIRC) Mossie in CFS1.
If I hadn't a reputation for making the bad boy's planes I'd build Mossies. :d

empeck
October 25th, 2008, 01:13
You mean per gauge?
Average 500 - 2500 depending on complexity.
There's quite a bit of CG hocuspocus going on, I'm not planning to break the world record on poligon abuse. :kilroy:

Sorry, I should clarify, how many triangles you've used for VC?

Mathias
October 25th, 2008, 01:31
Ah ok, the interior bits so far stack up to 43k tris, that includes quite a bit of the left side console instrumentation which is not visible on screenshots yet.
The final VC should be below 100k tris inclusive the external parts which are fully rendered from the pilots eyepoint, means when you lean out the cockpit to look back for instance using TrackIR there'll be no missing fuselage or tailplane parts.

michael davies
October 25th, 2008, 03:05
100K polys for the VC isn't going to be a problem, it'll be the textures or draw calls that might create problems, but as Mathias is methodical in everything he does I doubt any of the background technology will be a problem.

FSx allows developers to blow poly counts out of the window, personally I think its bad not having a limit as people now have the opportunity to be lazy and just throw polys at a problem, rather than think about careful modelling to get the best visual representation with as few resources as possible.

Still, todays bottlenecks will be tomorrows basics as hardware catches up over time.

Looking good Mathias....as always LOL.

Best

Michael

Mathias
October 25th, 2008, 03:44
As you say Michael the issues in DX9/10 are drawcalls and there are ways to deal with. As you know a drawcall is not always a drawcall :kilroy: . I have all maps in and the VC is on the drawcall side in one league with the stock DC3 so there are really no bad effects to expect.
I was initially worried about using such a high policount but doing several tests on various low/mid spec systems I found it's really a no brainer if you use your shaders carefully. On the other hand, reading that the Aerosoft F-16 uses 500.000 tris I consider my little bird to be low poli.:costumes:

deimos256
October 25th, 2008, 03:57
Thanks much Lady(s) and Gentlemen! :wavey:

There'll be three parts over the time.
Plan is to release the first batch right in time for the christmas tree, end November/early December. This will be the early Fw190 variants, A-1 to A-4.
So far the first package includes 28 skins and a number of different models reflecting all production variants that actually saw service.
There'll be no phantasy/myth or test-only planes like GM1-equipped Fw190 or MW50 injection prior to the A-8.
Every variant will have a cockpit and external model that'll reflect it's original counterpart.
Part 2 and three will be released in the coming month then.
Purchasers of one variant will be able to get the other parts at an upgrade price.

Part #2 will be the later variants A-5 to A-9 including the F fighter bombers and G long range fighter bombers.

Part #3 will complete the trilogie with the Dora and the Ta152.

This post just made my month, as someone who has been hanging on to the WoP 190 and Dora since they were released, im looking forward to a new one for FSX, this is definitely at the very top of my must buy list.

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
October 25th, 2008, 04:21
Mathias has a handle on it , at netwings is a thread called next gauge if memory serves that covers the rendering methods used to capture super high detail modeled parts that are then applied to the game textures and their low poly fsx counterpart in 3ds .<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
It’s a significant point Michel raised , and one that comes up with each project without exception, where to draw the line in the performance scalar..<o:p></o:p>
A given model for FSX can support 100,000 poly's with ease, provided you let the sim do the "spit & polishing" , it’s possible to fit the exterior onto two 2048 x 2048 .dds and with planning get the VC onto another 5 + the $dummy , for a total of 32MB texture load <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
At this point the decision making process begins to affect outcome, it’s a must to add normal maps to any metal skinned aircraft and with them another 8 MB brings our planes total to 40 , the cube map and fresnel ramp are tiny maps of a few kilobytes , the specular map can also make use of a swatch , i like 64 x 64 solid color bitmaps there to control the specular shine but one can add full size specular map to bring our hypothetical texture burden to 48 MB + prop + glass + lightmaps that are added under the right conditions and your basic creation is around 50 MB of textures being hung off those poly's .<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
This hypothetical layout is in reality on the low side and it’s a real battle sometimes between the competing desires of the texture artist and reality to make one of these run well , but it is a battle that can be lost before a single plane hits the runway , it’s one of my design tenets that a plane that can’t be used won’t be used and good framerates in FSX are something the modeller can ensure or deny .<o:p></o:p>