PDA

View Full Version : O now come on ......

stiz
August 8th, 2009, 23:39
..... store starts to sell its christmas range ... nearly 5 months early

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090808/tuk-yule-what-selfridges-launches-xmas-r-45dbed5.html

Does anyone rember the good times when you never heard about christmas till december?? what the hell is it with shops nowadays? hell what the hell is it with the world nowadays? ... :a1451:

mariereid
August 9th, 2009, 03:44
stiz, it's all about dollars, pounds, etc. Now they got us putting up lights for Easter and hallowe'en. Now get out there and start your Christmas shopping. Ho, ho, ho

smilo
August 9th, 2009, 04:50
the town I live near even has a Christmas Shop that's open year round.
jeez

I remember the "good old days" when Christmas stuff didn't come out until
after Thanksgiving.

but then again, my family thinks I'm a dead beat.
I don't take down the Christmas lights.
but I don't turn them on until after Thanksgiving.

MCDesigns
August 9th, 2009, 05:27
yep, all about the dollar. I love the Christmas season, but being a retail manager, it seems to last longer each year, LOL.

TeaSea
August 9th, 2009, 05:29
My mother has actually started to leave her living room decorated for Christmas all year round....

I find this very odd. However she says it allows her to experiment continually with one motif.

I still think it's odd.

That being said, I do my Christmas shopping in July and August. So, perhaps these retailers are smart to capture those of us who plan ahead

I used to take umbrage at this early advertising too, until a friend of mine who manages large retail operations pointed out to me that his organization runs in the red until the last two months of the year. Only then will they start to see their profit margin. When you have literally thousands of employees and their families depending on that profit margin, one can easily be tempted to move that profit line out earlier and earlier each year.

BTW, most retail organizations run in the red for a good part of the year. They are saved in that General Accepted Accounting Practices allow them to book their capital so you get a more realistic view of their worth.

And now I'm completely out of my depth, not being a CPA or doing particularly well in Accounting.

Cloud9Gal
August 9th, 2009, 07:50
I so agree that Christmas should be celebrated in December! I make it a point, to not have ANY decorations up in our house, until December 1st. We do put out the outside lights after Thanksgiving, however, we do not light them up until December.

I try as much as possible not to wish my life away. I take it one day at a time, because that's all I should have to handle. Life is stressful enough as it is.

stiz
August 9th, 2009, 09:16
I so agree that Christmas should be celebrated in December! I make it a point, to not have ANY decorations up in our house, until December 1st. We do put out the outside lights after Thanksgiving, however, we do not light them up until December.

we dont put ours up before the 20th, and we dont plaster the house with lights either, costs to much, allthough its great walking round and looking at all the ones that are lit up :)

Naismith
August 9th, 2009, 12:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yzK-Uf6zVs

TeaSea
August 9th, 2009, 16:20

I try as much as possible not to wish my life away. I take it one day at a time, because that's all I should have to handle. Life is stressful enough as it is.

I'm like you....lights go up during the Thanksgiving holiday. Come down on New Years.....

I need the 4 day weekends to get everything back up in the attic.

Chacha
August 9th, 2009, 16:31
I celebrate Christmas everyday!!!! Like today, I just received tons of gifts! I dont even know how to OPEN these gifts, my hands are trembling. And thank you guys for the generous gifts.

Oh well, I don't decorate till the first Weekend of December, and take it down a week after Christmas. I go Christmas shopping online, anytime of the year!

Eli

Snuffy
August 9th, 2009, 17:05
Bah Humbug ... :kilroy:

grunau_baby
August 10th, 2009, 00:48
In our stores christmas stuf turns up around september (I avoid looking at it when inside a store), and I cannot get rid of the strange feeling meanwhile these things are allready sold for the christmas season next year:isadizzy:

Alex

Reddog
August 10th, 2009, 05:19
Stuff in the stores don't bother me as much as the music,around here it starts around the 1st of dec and by the time christmas gets here your so sick of listening to it any more.

RickN
August 11th, 2009, 02:59
They start earlier and earlier every year to get people to buy early, and then complain when people do not spend as much during the real holiday season.

When it all gets to be to much, I just go watch this video and have a laugh.

http://www.funny-games.biz/cartoon/whitetrashxmas.html

gigabyte
August 12th, 2009, 13:45
Bah Humbug ... :kilroy:

I am with you on this one Snuffy...