PDA

View Full Version : Gauge Makers

Scratch
August 7th, 2009, 15:17
Are there any developers besides Reality XP that make gauges for FSX. I like what I see at the RXP site, but I want to see all available before I buy something. I just want to dress up a few a/c in my hangar.

Kiwikat
August 7th, 2009, 15:32
Theres nothing out there that compares to the RXP GNS430 or 530 WAAS, IMHO. They are in a league of their own. I don't know what I'd do without my beloved 430.

I've seen many people use the friendly panels radio stacks too.

glennc
August 7th, 2009, 15:49
The only other options I know of are Simflyer and Friendly Panels. Neither is in the same class as RXP, but they don't carry the overhead, or the price, either. I've used both. They are based on the Default GPS but look and function much better. For example, the Simflyer GNS480 and I think GNS530 has TIS displays.

You make your choices and pay your bills.

Glenn

Lionheart
August 7th, 2009, 18:10
Also, are the gauges in XML FSX format, and does that really matter from a performance perspective?

SimFlyer, if I am correct, make their gauges with XML code. XP make theirs in GAU format, which is a sealed/encoded/encrypted format. Personally, I like gauges in XML format. The textures seem more pure. But thats just me. With digital avionics, you have alot of font and not alot of graphics, so it wouldnt matter between XML and GAU formats.

With XML coding, FSX introduced a different code. I dont know why... I really dont. XML is XML, but if you change the XML, then FSX gauges will not work in FS9, and perhaps thats why they did it. I dont know. Thus, you have two versions of XML now out there. Now, if the FSX XML runs faster, then thats a plus. But if its the exact same 'speed' or performance, then why? Thats a different story altogether though.

Bill

Piglet
August 7th, 2009, 20:17
All my gauges are basically descendants of the default FS9 XML gauges. I just keep changing the tex's. The coding stays pretty much the same, why reinvent the wheel?:applause: Like LH says, reinventing the XML for FSX, seemed so uhh... useless?

n4gix
August 7th, 2009, 20:45
All my gauges are basically descendants of the default FS9 XML gauges. I just keep changing the tex's. The coding stays pretty much the same, why reinvent the wheel?:applause: Like LH says, reinventing the XML for FSX, seemed so uhh... useless?

Note useless by any means! FSX XML has a ton of new features, mostly dealing with vector drawing...

For example, you can have a true dynamic ARC, as well as dynamic rectangles, i.e., objects that change their size, height or width in response to an input variable.

However, do not mistake me for an FSX XML fanboy, 'cause I simply won't use it except in very, very special circumstances! :ernae:

As for RXP, Jean Luc wrote a very clever interface to allow the Garmin Trainer to run in the background... He did NOT write the actual GNS code at all. Mind you, it's an excellent bit of work, but give the credit for the actual GNS to Garmin, not RXP.

Kiwikat
August 7th, 2009, 22:32
As for RXP, Jean Luc wrote a very clever interface to allow the Garmin Trainer to run in the background... He did NOT write the actual GNS code at all. Mind you, it's an excellent bit of work, but give the credit for the actual GNS to Garmin, not RXP.

You made this point on AVSIM and it turned into a fight... :monkies:

Regardless of what RXP DID do, there is nothing out there that compares to the 430 or 530, IMHO. However, they do come at a price. I believe they were 50 USD each last time I checked.

Lionheart
August 7th, 2009, 23:27
Note useless by any means! FSX XML has a ton of new features, mostly dealing with vector drawing...

For example, you can have a true dynamic ARC, as well as dynamic rectangles, i.e., objects that change their size, height or width in response to an input variable.

However, do not mistake me for an FSX XML fanboy, 'cause I simply won't use it except in very, very special circumstances! :ernae:

Thanks Bill for bringing me up to speed on that with vectored drawing and scale in FSX XML. I wasnt aware of that. Very good to know.

Bill

Scratch
August 8th, 2009, 15:03
Thanks for the info fellas. Very informative read.

jmig
August 9th, 2009, 04:39
There is a French company called Skyware which has a gauge program called FSXPand http://cockpitsolutions.com/

They allow you to run either on the same computer or a second using a LAN. The PSXPand gauges are modifiable by the user and there is even a guage making program.

There are a wide mix of GA and airliner gauges already in the database. Not many military gauges, unfortunately.

also another set of free gauges is made by JeeHell. They can be found here: http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16313

Lastly, Sim Avionics makes a complete set of airliner gauges. http://www.sim-avionics.com/

flyinjake
August 9th, 2009, 07:39
www.flightdecksoft.com (http://www.flightdecksoft.com) has gauges for download. Memory serves right they can be run on a second PC also.