PDA

View Full Version : Converting a GMAX file to 3DS Max

Bomber_12th
August 7th, 2009, 13:15
I believe there are many ways to do this, but I was wondering if anyone could point me to a description or small tutorial on the best way to get a GMAX file into 3DS Max, with the fewest problems.

I have been lucky enough to get a copy through my school for a course I am taking, and I would love to try out some of the features on my current project.

I greatly appreciate any help!

Mathias
August 7th, 2009, 13:58
Hiya John,
as someone who has gone through the conversion blues many years ago I'd say better start your projects from scratch rather than converting from Gmax to Max.
You will find yourself redoingmost parts anyway once you get the hang for instance of the polygon tools, that is after banging head against the wall for many many hours dealing with the buggy export methods.
There is no lossless conversion, period.

So here's how I did it back then (there may be better methods by now):

Export your Gmax scene using the FS2002 (!) gamepack along with middleman and mdlcommander to capture the x-file.
Load the x-file into Deep Exploration and export to 3ds and re-import into Max, or save straight into Max 4.2 format.
Deep Exploration should have a trial version:
http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/

Sometimes you can have luck with a straight import (leaving out the deep exploration step) of the x-file into Max using xporter from here:
http://mofo.pns.to/wibs/#5

Again, on the long run I didn't keep any of my old Gmax files and I bet you won't either.

Bomber_12th
August 7th, 2009, 14:52
Thank you Mathias for the information! I will have to test out the process and see how well it goes. All I guess I really want to do for the time being with Max, is explore the texture-baking capabilities, but I might save that for later projects, since I am nearly finished with all of the modeling on my current project.

Another problem I have run into, is that I have 3DS Max 2010, which of course the FSX SDK doesn't support. I'm wondering if anyone else may be using newer versions of Max successfully with developing for FSX, and how?

n4gix
August 7th, 2009, 19:50
Now that is a problem, as there's no way that the export tools will ever be updated to work with anything newer than Max7/8/9, and even then the later revisions to Max9 "break" the export .dll from ACES... :a1451:

What I do is export only the mesh for which I wish to bake textures, then use Max8 to do the shake-and-bake. I can then use the baked textures in GMax.

BushAV8R
August 8th, 2009, 07:25
Hi,

I have a question for you. I am currently using a student license of 3ds Max 2009 and will have another 6 months until it runs out.

Currently, I am getting familiar with all the modelling stuff and havent really thought about how I can get my model into FSX later. I was just thinking about exporting the mesh as a 3ds file and load it into Gmax and finish it in there. Is this basically the procedure you are using Bill?

Also, I might be very lucky to get 3ds Max 2010 after my course, which is a commercial version. Could I use it the same way. Export my mesh aircaft model as a 3ds file and load it into Gmax and finish it there?

Stuff I always wanted to know. Maybe I can get an anser from you guys.

Thanks!

P.S. It's a shame that no later versions of 3ds Max can be used for FSX modelling... :frown:

n4gix
August 8th, 2009, 10:00
Actually, I only export selected mesh from GMax to be used in Max for texture baking purposes. Once the texture bitmaps are baked, I no longer need the mesh from Max.

You can of course Import .3ds files saved from Max into GMax.

Bomber_12th
August 9th, 2009, 18:03
Thank you Bill, that is exactly what I was thinking of doing, and I'm glad to hear that you have proven it to be done effectively!

BushAV8R
August 9th, 2009, 23:02
Thanks Bill,

so there is actually a use for 3ds max 2010 with respect to FSX modelling?

Doing the modelling in MAX 2010, export the mesh as a .3ds file and import it in Gmax. I could also use Max 2010 for texture baking, right?

I find modelling in Max much more convienient as in Gmax, so it would be great if I can somehow use it for FSX modelling too.

Mathias
August 10th, 2009, 02:34
Jupp, you can do the baking in Max.
I think only thing that doesn't get through the 3ds conversion are skinned mesh animations and all those FSX tagging thnigies.
Few things to consider, part/texture names get shortened to 8+3 characters and your geometry is triangulated.

An alternative to the 3ds route would be to use bobo's File format:
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/bff-2007
It's a script that exports your mesh in single parts.
The so created script can then be run in Gmax ("import" only in Gmax)
I don't know if it works with Max 2010, it does work nice with Max 9 though.
Might be worth a test.

n4gix
August 10th, 2009, 08:31
I find modelling in Max much more convienient as in Gmax, so it would be great if I can somehow use it for FSX modelling too.

With the addition of "Mesh Tools" (a very comprehensive set of maxscripts written for GMax users) I've found that the GMax modeling environment is nearly as rich and useful as Max8.

Even then, nearly 70% of GMax's capabilities are completely useless for FS modeling anyway...

Nearly 90% of Max8's capabilities are useless for FS modeling...

In the final analysis, both programs are massive "overkill" for FS modeling! :isadizzy:

BushAV8R
August 10th, 2009, 09:31
Yeah, that might be correct.

Anyway, I just started modelling and got myself the Max 2009 student version and a Max Video Training course and really like working with Max.

It has a lot of capabilities, which might be overkill for FSX modelling, but maybe I will use it for other stuff as well.

Even if I might get very lucky to get the Max 2010 version, I can not really use it for FSX. I think just for the mesh creation and texture baking, because I have to finish the modelling in Gmax, right?

I will probably also try the tool Mathias mentioned, if it is working for Max 2010. Like I said before, it's a pitty that higher versions of Max can not be used for FSX modelling. Hopefully future simulators, let it be from aerosoft or anybody else, will support these higher versions of Max.

The reason why I stick with Max is, that the training course is based on Max and I dont like to use Gmax and search for similar functions which are doing the same job etc. However, there is enough evidence, that awesome models can be created by using Gmax. Well, in the end it depends on the artist.