PDA

View Full Version : Engine sounds for pusher: how to spacialize?

dswo
August 7th, 2009, 11:36
This thread is inspired by Piglet's new J-21, discussed here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=20624. A few people have suggested aliasing sounds from WWII-era fighters, the Me-109 and P-51. I'm up with that, but how should I modify the sound.cfg so that the engine sound comes from the rear of the plane instead of the front? Anyone have a template for this?

GaryGB
August 7th, 2009, 11:58
Hi David:

I've tinkered with this, and have it working somewhat for the default Aircreation Trike; I think the spatial degree heading positions are reversed for "push-prop" sounds compared to that of the "normal" pull-props. :iidea:

Also, I believe a value of -179.999985 degrees works better than a full -180 degrees when that heading is called for in a push prop.

And be sure most sounds are MONO for positional sound to work properly.

Here's a couple of things I wrote that might help with this (and other) A/C:

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=26346

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15956&highlight=GaryGB

...And an FSDeveloper WIKI with a template for trying to make sense of this topic so poorly documented in the SDK:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sound_Cones_in_FSX

Let us know how it works out; and now for a feeble attempt at humor via an "unreasonable rhyme": :icon_lol:

Perhaps you could post for us all
a J-21 Sound.Cfg to enthrall
and add to the fun
...when you're done ?

OK, a "feudal" attempt at poetry... :p:

Hope this helps! :engel016:

GaryGB

dswo
August 7th, 2009, 12:29
Thanks, Gary. But yikes! That's a lot more complicated than I expected. I thought it would just be a matter of reversing a sign and maybe increasing a number by some fraction.

That being said, I started by copying the sound folder from the A2A Me-109E. Fired up the Saab for the first time and...engine sound was coming primarily from my rear speakers. Just to be sure, I switched to the actual 109 for the downwind leg and...engine sound was coming primarily from front speakers.

So in this case, maybe it's not so hard after all. FS must be getting at least some of its engine vs. earpoint data from aircraft.cfg, not the sound files.

Time to go listen to my lawn mower engine.

GaryGB
August 7th, 2009, 13:22
Hi David:

I just downloaded and tried the J-21 with its intended sound mapping aliased to the default DC-3 pull-prop sound set.

As with your ME-109 pull-prop sound set, I was surprised to find the sounds were correctly positioned for a push-prop (except I think the prop pitch whisper is reversed from where I'd anticipate hearing it). :mix-smi:

This is indeed a "peculiar" aircraft ! :icon_eek:

It feels like Tim used a reversed aircraft inside his visual model (way back when, Bill Lyons made a few extra unique pilotable "sim objects" for FS2002/FS2004 in his packages that used this approach).

But only Tim can tell us for sure... and I'll bet he's not gonna' tell us! < ...just kidding, Tim! >:monkies:

However, taxiing was sufficiently controllable by turning on the tail-wheel lock for better maneuvering with the "nose wheel". ;)

A surprisingly fast aircraft, too; I had to use "/" for air-braking in addition to full flaps to land on less than a 10,000' RWY ( I like short approaches) !

I'm not sure if a reversed internal model orientation might be the basis of the sound positioning being correct with a pull-prop sound mapping.

Thanks, Gary. But yikes! That's a lot more complicated than I expected. I thought it would just be a matter of reversing a sign and maybe increasing a number by some fraction.
"When push comes to shove", IIRC, changing the ConeHeading= parameter might be all it takes to switch Pull to Push with other "un-peculiar" aircraft!

An interesting project; thanks to Piglet for keeping us so well-entertained all these years!!! :)

GaryGB

peter12213
August 7th, 2009, 14:46
Please please use the flight replicas Bf 109 F, G, or in my case the K (Kurfürst) sound, its the sound that the real one made with that gorgeous Daimler-Benz DB 605B soundtrack!! TBH i think its the same sound for them all but what the hell!!! The A2A me109 emil sound just isn't right it lacks alot!! (great aircraft just not so good as the J21 sound thats all)

Piglet
August 7th, 2009, 20:28
I did nothing special with the sound, that I know of. Just aliased the DC-3 sounds. Never did think of using the Accell P-51, dummy me! Maybe just having the engine location aft of model coord 0-0-0 helps.