PDA

View Full Version : No Guns

Dave239
August 7th, 2009, 10:40
Today’s lesson we will look at dog fighting and flight tactics. But let’s make this fun; we will use the Quick Combat arena. Select you enemy aircraft matching your aircraft example, the Grumman F6 against the Mitsubishi Zero. Set your location for Midway Island. Select one enemy aircraft and select random skill for the enemy. Then have the enemies to regenerate. Now on your aircraft under ammo settings place on 0%, yes zero percent. Not too many of us have done this, and for those who have, they know that the reasons having no guns is two fold.

One it teaches you evasion and how to maneuver your aircraft to avoid from being shot down.
Two it will commit you to get close to the enemy and force him to get away from you. By this you learn to maneuver your aircraft like real fighter pilots. And not like kids playing a game. Example jerking the controls in a crisis situation or under stress you have your aircraft control stick pulled left while the rudders are turned right.

When you have developed sufficient skill you can fly him into the ground. I usually continue with the exercises until one of two things happen number one I get shot down.

Two I run out of fuel, if you’re able to continue till your run out of fuel then you know that you can pretty much handle anything that is thrown up at you.

Just remember two basic principals stay on his tail matching his move to your moves, remembering not to over compensate on the throttle(s) or you will over shoot him, then you’re in trouble. Then when in a position that will put you in danger check your rear. Or as I phrase it “Stay six, Check six”.

Over time you will find that you can pretty much down any aircraft without firing, this is great when you have exhausted your ammo and want to continue to fight.

Remember: Have Fun

B:USA-flag::female::gameon:

miamieagle
August 8th, 2009, 07:06
Yes! it all sounds like a very interesting concept on how to learn to think and react like a real fighter fighter.

Make the Ai fighter a ACE to make it more of a challenge and increase your skill at the same time!

Dave239
August 8th, 2009, 08:59
I chose the random setting because it is just that "random": you don’t know what the system will give you. If you set your game for just one type of encounter or level, you may not experience what could happen in the real world. During all wars and military campaigns the lack of inexperience has cause all nations to lose aircraft and there personnel due to poor judgment and making the wrong moves in a critical situation, this exercise is suppose to emulate the possibility of having an encounter with a novice, veteran or ace. You won’t know until you’re in the mission. But remember this is just a game so set your level to whatever you feel comfortable with. If you feel that you can out fly every ace, then go for it.
Historical note:
During the great “TURKEY SHOOT” in World War II the fighter pilots of the U.S. Navy reported that the enemy aircraft where manned with crews that had little to no experience in the cockpits. If you watch the gun camera footage available at any library or online you will see the aircraft behave in a panicked state and on occasion they fly in the sea. Then in Iraq many coalition pilots reported that the Iraqi air force simply flew them selves into the ground. This is why I suggested the random setting.

B:USA-flag::female::gameon:

miamieagle
August 8th, 2009, 12:09
You can also setup mission on your own through the Mission Builder in different situation just for your own training experience!:applause: