PDA

View Full Version : A little test on REX

limjack
August 7th, 2009, 09:19
First off I downloaded the patch to REX and rigged up my favorite flight from KPDX (Portland) to KSEA (Seattle). THis past week in the Pacific Northwest we have been having the morning gray clouds that roll in off the coast (on shore flow as they call it). So it was a good time to see how REX does with this condition. I have attached two pictures to compare. I think they nailed it. I love the REX product. Just thought I would share my experiece so far. Still much to learn with the new weather engine but my initial use of this product with the patch is outstanding. I think I will retire the MS weather engine now for good. Thanks REX team for all your hard work, it is appreciated on my end.

Jim

limjack
August 7th, 2009, 10:09
LOL....I think FSX did a nice job on that tree on the right. It looks just like the real one!!!:icon_lol:

Major_Spittle
August 7th, 2009, 10:38
I did that test in X-Plane 9 and FSX w/REX awhile back when we had scattered snow showers around portland and XP9 was spot on with wind, turbulence, cloud layers, and scattered storm cells. I ran both sims at the same time in minimized windows (flew out of PDX at same heading/same time towards my house 30mile north with the A6 texan for each sim).

I wish I had taken screen shots and would do it again if anyone is interested, but X-Plane was WAY better. I was flying in and out of storm cells with turbulence and snow while FSX had two demensional evenly scattered clouds that didn't move or seem like an independant storm cell at all. Landing in X-Plane was challenging with gusty cross winds and realistic snow blowing. Landing in FSX was uneventful, no crabbing with gusts blowing you off course. FSX felt very static compared to XP9. The approach wasn't challenging or interesting.

Anyway if you are into weather flights (expecially bush flying in realtime poor weather) you might find XP9 pretty fun.

spotlope
August 7th, 2009, 10:50
I had one of those FSX weather moments just this morning. Took a flight from KTTD to KONP to get used to the L-39, and also to give REX2's weather a chance to strut its stuff. Around Corvallis, the persistent cloud layer started to thicken, and as I approached the coast I saw my first raindrops on the VC canopy (an excellent effect, btw! Makes me wish we could have it in other planes).

"That's funny," I thought, "I know we were supposed to get some rain, but not until later today or tomorrow." An hour later, my wife came back in the house from her studio to announce that it had just started raining.

Once again, FS proves a better forecaster than my local weather guy. :applause:

hobofat
August 7th, 2009, 11:00
I am really liking REX2.0. Most of the things that annoyed me about 1.0 are fixed, now it's just boot up the sim and forget! Plus the flight plan/weather tabs operate much faster, and are 100 times more useful than before!

dswo
August 7th, 2009, 11:25
Anyway if you are into weather flights (expecially bush flying in realtime poor weather) you might find XP9 pretty fun.

US$34 with shipping from the AVSIM.com store. (It's in the bargain bin that Nick was cracking wise about earlier this week.)