PDA

View Full Version : The Zone

Nick C
August 6th, 2009, 12:30
Does anybody miss it...aside from the idiots in the main chat section of each room?

falcon409
August 6th, 2009, 13:28
Guess I don't know what the "Zone" is Nick.

Nick C
August 6th, 2009, 14:24
Ahh The Zone was a meeting place hosted by Microsoft for playing online games. There was a different section for a variety of games, including CFS1, CFS2 and FS2000, FS2002.

JayKae
August 6th, 2009, 14:40
Yeah, it is a darn shame that is gone

MCDesigns
August 6th, 2009, 14:58
I had several good sessions on it with CFS2 and then the cheating started and that ruined it, but I loved the time I did have on it.

Overshoe
August 6th, 2009, 19:25
The Zone was like a cheezy, 3rd rate Gamespy. I probably gave it too much praise but I'm in a good mood and trying to be kind. Do I miss it? No.

Lionheart
August 6th, 2009, 20:22
All the kids would come in and try to ram you in flight in the FS rooms...

Or they were always locked to keep the kids out, which kept out the normals as well, lol...

arrgh.

Lewis-A2A
August 7th, 2009, 00:03
Indeed I do miss it. I geuss from the sounds of your guys the MS series wasnt any good on it but classics like EAW were amazing and large MP groups revolved around the zone.

Had some amazing times dogfighting some very skilled virtual pilots in the zone, and joined my first virtual squadron back in the day flying all manner of COOP missions against the enemy. Good times indeed.

Nick C
August 7th, 2009, 05:07
We used to run 100% games in CFS1, usually password protected against either our own members or other good squads. We'd built up quite a reputation by the time I moved on.

We didn't accept members younger that 18 yrs old, most of us were 30+. I think the kids would struggle to be as immature as we were behind closed doors with a little alcohol consumed! :isadizzy::engel016:

Tweek
August 7th, 2009, 05:41
Not really. Gamespy serves the same purpose, and it's built into the sim.

falcon409
August 7th, 2009, 06:02
Honestly, I don't know why Microsoft and FSHost never got together to form an alliance. I'm sure the guys at ChocolateSoftware could have used the revenue and added expertise to iron out some of the gliches they had/have with the software, especially with FSX and their popup problem when running in fullscreen mode.

I never used the Zone because when I first got into flying online everyone I knew was using FSHost to connect and I just figured that's what everyone else used. As for Gamespy, my opinion is that it's a waste of virtual space, inhabited by little twits that have the "1st person shooter mentality" and wouldn't recognize maturity/self control and common sense it they fell over it.

That could go away and I'd never miss it.

Lionheart
August 7th, 2009, 10:27
I have FS Spy and finding a site these days to fly with people is few and far between. With Netwings gone, there is not where to meet pilot enthusiasts online these days.

arghh..

One thing I do miss, is flying online.

Bill

Moses03
August 7th, 2009, 10:56
...aside from the idiots in the main chat section of each room?

Boy, ain't that the truth!

I don't miss it really because of the great group of guys from SOH I fly with online now. The Zone was a good proving ground in its day for online flying though. I met gnoopey there way back in 2002.

Used to fly mostly in the CFS2 hop or ferrying rooms with bombers. To echo, was great until the cheaters showed up.

Managed to dig up an old screenie dated Sept 2003. This was near the end for me as I was about done with CFS2 and moving over to FS2004.

Moses

Nick C
August 7th, 2009, 11:12
Man that takes me back. CFS1 in the 'Furball' room was our hangout.

Overshoe
August 7th, 2009, 11:16
As for Gamespy, my opinion is that it's a waste of virtual space, inhabited by little twits that have the "1st person shooter mentality" and wouldn't recognize maturity/self control and common sense it they fell over it.

That could go away and I'd never miss it.

That describes the Zone on a good day.

chaders
August 8th, 2009, 13:37
I miss the Zone. I was gutted that CFS3 never used it. Seemed to make it harder to find a decent game in MP.

{EDIT}
Just checked that screenie and saw my old Squad ASD! Thats brought back some memories of some very late nights seeing as the rest of them were US based. Good days with CFS2!!

HeyChief
October 16th, 2009, 22:52
Moses,

That screenie brought back memories of the Hoppers, where we hopped all over the Pacific. Especially after Maskrider developed his sceneries. BTW he's still creating new sceneries for cfs2.
I don't miss the kids who wanted to be disruptive, but I do miss the many decent folks who just wanted to fly online with others.

Chief