PDA

View Full Version : Our Puppy has an Addiction

Lionheart
August 5th, 2009, 16:49
Well, its pretty well known now. Our puppy, my little friend, is an addict.

His life now seems to rotate around Bacon Snackies. I tried to keep it from happening. I did all that I possibly could. I bought the best regular food I could find (at Walmart). I got rare dog foods that I thought he would really love, like those gold bag wet food packets that have all these things in it, that looks more like chilli or steak dinner then some of our own human chilli is like. But all he seems to want are Bac-n-Bites.

His little food dish with the latest, best dry dog food out, bought mainly for him, is left untouched.

It all started when I taught him that if he went outside, he gets a treat. Well, I guess treats to animals are like money to people, and he quickly realised the incentives. For instance, he smartly figured out that he could 'fake' needing to go out in order to get a 'reward' of bacon.

Just now, giving him a treat for going outside, I realised just how much he almost starves himself to eat only snackies when he has all this other food...

Man...

If only he could understand, 'dog cannot live on bacon alone....' He needs regular food too! Good food! Who knows whats in those Bac-n-Bites...

What have I done....

Cookie Monster comes to mind, from Sesame Street....

:isadizzy:

Notes on addiction patient; Front suspension is lower then rear suspension. Eye structure slightly outward alligned, beleived to be caused from snackie-bac-n-bite syndrome effect. Rear spine area approximately 1/3rd higher in the rear. Tail overgrown, possibly also a side effect of too many Ban-n-Bites....

Bill

Toastmaker
August 5th, 2009, 17:35
Many addicts have an "enabler" in the background. . .

(just kidding!) :icon_lol:

FAC257
August 5th, 2009, 18:05
Somehow we goofed up the eating habits of our little min-pin "Velcro" when he was younger.

Luckily he decide that he likes Beneful dog food but only a certain kind. The funny part is that the one brand he does like, he only eats the crunchies in a particular color order and he doesn't like to eat them at his bowl.

His prefered method is for you to get the bowl full of crunchies and bring it over to him on the couch. Then you have to take them out one at a time, in the proper color order and he'll chomp them right down. Give him one out of order and he place it next to the bowl until the color before it is gone.

If you put the bowl on the couch right in front of him and then get up to go to another room, he won't touch 'em. If your gone long enough he'll let out a bark, meaning "Hey, come back and sort my crunchies!".

If I'm too busy to sit down with him and organize his food, eventually he'll eat out of the bowl on the floor sort of.

Even then he'll go over and grab a small mouth full and take them over to the couch and lay them out. One at a time in the proper color order he'll eat the little pile. Then he'll hop off the couch walk all the way to the kitchen grab another small batch and bring them back to the couch again. It takes him about 10 trips to finish the bowl off.

I've alway thought that he has sort of a fear of eating at the bowl. I think he may have been bitten a couple of times by fire ants that had crawled into his bowl when he was very young.

It's would look pretty silly to an outsider watching, but I really enjoy that time sitting there with the pup and feeding him his goofy crunchies one at a time. He thinks it's the coolest thing ever. :)

cheezyflier
August 5th, 2009, 18:18
well, luckily for you guys, cheezy is here to help you get your doggies eating healthy again.

here are some dog food info sites to help you choose healthy food. this way, you buy what's good, and not what ever is the cheapest you can find.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

even if you are a po'boy like me, you can find a healthy compromise between price and quality.

Lionheart
August 5th, 2009, 18:32
FAC257,

Oddly, Junior does this too with his regular food. He 'will' eat it if he is up on the desk, and I lay out the crunchies in a row. I wonder if he has had an ant bite before as well. The bowl seems to be a thing that scares him away.

When I sim test at night, I'll open a top drawer and put a pillow on it on the desk and put him up there. He seems to really enjoy it, and now its about having some of the dry dogfood as well, but not alot.. Just some.. lol..

Yep, its a bonding thing. They are our kids I guess, lol..

Thanks CF for the links!

Bill

:icon29:

airfighterjohn
August 5th, 2009, 18:36
FAC, we have a miniature poodle also named Velcro. Actually her name was Rose when we adopted her but she stuck to Teresa like velcro. And she answered to the name, so that's what she is now called. Velcro is also a very picky eater except when it comes to human food. She will eat ANYTHING we do, but, believe it or not, as far as dog food, she will only eat the cheap Wal Mart stuff, Ol Roy

Willy
August 5th, 2009, 18:43
FAC, my Min Pin Sassy is particular about what color dog food she eats and also does the pick up some food at the bowl and carry it to the couch (or our bed) to eat it. With canned food, she'll turn her nose up at half the time and other times will eat it like she's an Ethiopian Poster Puppy.

Our Min Pins.. Sassy is the one on the right...

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/86/l_a3d8fb49a1a1406faa256657109855dd.jpg

OBIO
August 5th, 2009, 18:53
Our two dogs/kids also have some odd eating behaviors. Hazel, our 8 pound female Chihuahua who thinks and acts like she is half Yellow Lab and half Boxer, will pick out one piece at a time, walk a little way from the bowl and eat that piece, then go back for another piece, walk away to eat it, etc. Brutus, our male 12 pound 3/4 Chihuahua 1/4 Jack Russel Terrier (the breed is now called the Parsons Terrier or something like that) will sit down and slowly eat at the bowl, but again only one piece at a time.

They do get treats for doing their business outside, and once a week they share a pounch of soft food (Little Champs Beef stuff).

I have used Purina dog foods since my very first dog 34 years ago, and have always been happy with the health of my dogs. We currently use Purina Healthy Life Blend for small breeds. I want to get the dogs back on Purina One Natural Blends, using a mix of the Lamb and Barley and Chicken and Rice...but the cost is a bit more than the wallet will allow at the moment.

Table scraps...I rarely give the dogs people food. Maybe a small piece of baked chicken every now and then. But my wife, she is constantly slipping the dogs some of what ever she is eating. I am always on her about it, but it does no good.

OBIO

Kiwikat
August 5th, 2009, 20:11
Here's a pic of our whippet.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3490/3719464025_0be739242e.jpg

He is usually happy with his 2 cups of bil-jac a day but my mom always slips him more treats than is probably good for him. I also try talking to her about it but she won't stop giving him stuff... :173go1:

FAC257
August 5th, 2009, 20:35
airfighterjohn

Our Velcro got his name within the first few moments after he came home and started walking around. At that time he wasn't much bigger than a good sized guinea pig and had microscopic razor sharp hooked toenails. Everytime he tried to take a step on the carpet his little micro-paws sounded exactly like velcro seperating.

As he was walking around, Stacey asked me what we should call him. I said we should call him exactly what he sounds like, "Velcro". She loved it! :)

Lionheart
My computer desk when he first came home was a full sized drafting table. I used the top right pencil drawer as his bed. I'd fold up a towel and put him in there. He grew up with that drawer as his sleeping spot whenever I was flying.

A few moths ago I entered a couple of photos of him in the annual calender contest to benefit the local no-kill animal rescue shelter. We should find out this month if he made it.

This is one of the two shots I sent in.

OBIO
August 5th, 2009, 22:06
Here are pics of our two dogs/kids. The first pic is of Hazel the day my wife brought her home as a suprise for me....she was 6 weeks old and 1.1 pounds. Second pic is of Hazel all grown up and chilling on the back of our sofa. The third pic is of Brutus, hanging out in his chair in my office/flight room.

OBIO

FengZ
August 6th, 2009, 01:07
my dog (Jo-jo) is addicted to dried chicken snacks. We give him a piece before we leave for work, so now every morning he circles the area where we store his snacks....

but he does eat his dinner and not picky on anything we give him...

the white dog (Shiro) is our co-worker's Japanese Spitz...

-feng

airfighterjohn
August 6th, 2009, 03:31
Here's a couple of OUR Velcro---the first is from our vacation in May--the second she is still being Velcro--she is hanging under Teresa's computer desk...

cheezyflier
August 6th, 2009, 05:42
well, if we're gonna post pics, then, i don't want to be left out.
here is a pic of my sweeties. if i don't carefully watch them, they will eat almost anything.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/cheezyridr/hanginatbw.jpg

just for fun, here is a pic of them playing a favorite game at the horseshoe pits. i don't mean "eat all the cat turds you can find".
i mean the other game, "hide and seek"

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/cheezyridr/hideandseek.jpg

GT182
August 6th, 2009, 06:04
Same with our 2 Peek-a-poos. Gotta take food out of the dish and eat it on the dinning room carpet... or my lap.

How many of your dogs sleep with you at night? Loads of fun.... NOT. And it wasn't my idea either.

And they love ice cream. Up north there was a drive-in that made doggy ice cream.... and they knew the place everytime we'd drive by it.

Kofschip
August 6th, 2009, 06:17
To go for equal time, attached are three pictures of my Maine Coon cat, in the first one she was 6 weeks and in the last two she was 9 months, weighing in at 14 lbs. The size of the tiles is 12" by 12", so you have some idea of her size. She purs like a jaguar and is extremely sociable.

Prowler1111
August 6th, 2009, 07:40
I feed Arnold with the remains of anyone who trespass our property as the picture shows...:-)
True to the fact, he loves his Royal Canin, but i do buy every Friday a big bone, cook it, and then give it to him in order to stop his bad habit of feeding on his momīs shoes (and he got a very special taste, only NEW shoes)
Prowler

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Prowler1111/ARNOLD1.jpg

cheezyflier
August 6th, 2009, 19:43
i've been told not to cook the bones because it makes them more likely to choke on the fragments.

Lionheart
August 6th, 2009, 19:48
Oh man... Yes.. New Italian shoes, only womens shoes.. All dogs crave them. One of the reasons Junior found me as an adoption Uncle.. Shoes...

:d

Kiwikat
August 6th, 2009, 20:01
Our mini daschund had a craving for hooded sweatshirts. He wouldn't eat any other type of clothing, including regular sweatshirts.

He was a very odd dog... :mixedsmi:

Brian_Gladden
August 7th, 2009, 17:22
If we're doing dog pics....

My three:

Hope; Female 4 1/2 year old chow/? mix looks kinds like a red fox

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/Brian_Gladden/hopie.jpg

Cadence (AKA Pudgy); Male 7 year old German Shepherd/Beagle mix.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/Brian_Gladden/Cadence.jpg

Koko; Female 10 year old German Shepherd/ Malamute Mix

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/Brian_Gladden/Koko-oops.jpg

Koko may be 10 but she's still a puppy at heart. Very affectionate. Hope is skittish around strangers and falling objects/loud noises but is the real queen of the house.

Cadence is just a goofball. Not too bright...

Brian