PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations for Scenery and Object placing?

CrisGer
August 5th, 2009, 06:42
Hi and i am seeking some advice from the community here. I hope to add some things to some locations, ie. static aircraft, ships, scenery objects and wondered what ppl recommend for this...I picked up Instant Scenery, but wondered what ppl use and suggest... mostly for now I hope to enhance existing areas but eventually hope to create new ones. I am trying to tweak some conversions from FS9 and wanted to ask for advice for the best tools to use. thanks for any info. much appreciated. I am assuming if i add things that they will need to be available in game, or installed for that purpose, such as the ships for instance... i found some great Great Lakes steamers and freighters that were made for FS9 but was not sure if they would work in FSX and wondered if there is a simple explanation of what conversions need to be done or if there are tutorials that ppl can suggest for this.

Meshman
August 5th, 2009, 07:13
Instant Scenery! You will find that most, but not all, of the object placement libraries made for FS9 will work in FSX and are placable with IS.

But even at this level of design work, where you aren't creating your own objects, there should be some fore thought about what you're doing and how you will be sharing the work. One fine "customer" took a verbal swipe at me when I pointed out that he couldn't include all the scenery libraries with "his work" and that keeping a list from the start would have helped him.

falcon409
August 5th, 2009, 07:43
Instant Scenery! You will find that most, but not all, of the object placement libraries made for FS9 will work in FSX and are placable with IS.

But even at this level of design work, where you aren't creating your own objects, there should be some fore thought about what you're doing and how you will be sharing the work. One fine "customer" took a verbal swipe at me when I pointed out that he couldn't include all the scenery libraries with "his work" and that keeping a list from the start would have helped him.
Yep, I concur Meshman and actually to the far right in the Instant Scenery menu, you'll find a question mark, clicking on that will render you a list of the objects used and locations. . .nice little automatic notepad actually.

CrisGer
August 5th, 2009, 07:46
:) understood Meshman and appreciated. re that hint about objects. I will be very careful. thanks to both you and Falcon for the fast replies. I have been wanting to do this for some time but wanted to take the past 9 months or so to learn my way around FS9 and now FSX before trying my hand at things. I will proceed with caution..much appreciate the help.

Bjoern
August 5th, 2009, 09:29
Whisplacer and Airport Design Editor are the best free tools around for enhancing sceneries.

CrisGer
August 5th, 2009, 09:49
Whisplacer looks good, i am getting that too, do the Rwy library objects work in FSX? just curious as i see they were intended for FS9.

Tako_Kichi
August 5th, 2009, 10:10
Whisplacer looks good, i am getting that too, do the Rwy library objects work in FSX? just curious as i see they were intended for FS9.
Some do some don't. It's a 'suck it and see' process as it really depends on what modelling tool was used to make the models (and which version of the tool too).

I got into changing airports around in FSX a while back and found that maybe 80% of the Rwy 12 libraries I DL'd worked but it is trial and error sorting the wheat from the chaff. You can even find that some objects within the same library work while others do not.

CrisGer
August 5th, 2009, 10:37
ok, need some help possibly. Whisplacer is installed BUT...the thumbnail Zip is corrupted and wont open....

it is this archive:
Last thumbnail package : 23 December 2007 (Download) (http://lc0277.nerim.net/Whisplacer-thumbnails-231207.zip). Includes images from FSX Acceleration XPack objects and generic buildings textures.

i get this error:

End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not a Zip file, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part Zip file.

i tried unRARing with both the 0.9 installer for Whisplacer AND the thumbnail Zip in the same folder but they did not open sequentially. Does anyone know if there is an uncorrupted copy of the thumbnail file anywhere, or can i get a copy from someone? this looks like a great program but without the thumbnail set it will lose a lot of its functionality.

or is there a special way to open the zip with the thumbnails? neither RAR or WinZip or 7Zip will open the archive :confused:

i dl it twice and both are corrupted.

Meshman
August 5th, 2009, 10:38
A good number of the Rwy12 stuff was converted over to EZ-Scenery format for FS9, It's a trial and error process to see if the packages for FS9 will work within FSX, most will. The hangup is generally with texturing and those objects will display as black in FSX. Objects from FS9 that are animated almost always keep the animation in FSX.

One warning or caution about using Instant Scenery (IS) for object placement. In it's workings when you are placing stuff it is IS that is handling the display within FSX. So if you go around placing this and that always remember to exit FSX and restart, go where you've done your work and without IS running to check the display of the scenery. What IS may display could vary by FSX itself.

And Good Luck! Last rough count had about 200 object pacakges available for use with EZS/IS. :ernae:

Bjoern
August 5th, 2009, 13:49
or is there a special way to open the zip with the thumbnails? neither RAR or WinZip or 7Zip will open the archive :confused:

i dl it twice and both are corrupted.

Works for me without a hitch using 7zip.

Maybe downloadin the thumbnails yet again will help?

CrisGer
August 5th, 2009, 14:52
Ok Bjoern, will try again. :)

and thanks Meshman. Ya, i remember grabbin a lot of libraries for FS9, and i have a lot of em in my archives so i will go shopping :) thanks

CrisGer
August 5th, 2009, 16:35
ah found the problem, the full file would not download with Explorer 6.0.. using Firefox it seems to be running for the full size. here's hoping.

PS Yep, it worked that time. thanks

Bjoern
August 5th, 2009, 16:55
Glad to help.

Have fun placing stuff. :d