PDA

View Full Version : What a ripoff

Mickey D
August 5th, 2009, 04:33
Does anybody actually buying this scenery, and many more like it, realise they are being ripped off at $25.00. http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=2213&osCsid=e74305532499a1fbee6e95dd27d1fd0c

It's not worth 25c!!!!!! There isn't a dev designed object in it. Every object is lifted from FSX and placed with an object placer. Makes me wonder why true devs waste their time in Max,Gmax and FSDS creating our own buildings etc. when we could simply ripoff Joe Sim like this.

Off me soap box now.:pop4:

harleyman
August 5th, 2009, 04:43
Well i guess its whatever floats your boat....

Many probably would not mind, as it does add to their FSX what was not there at those locations....

Each person has the right to avoid the Buy Now button.....

But on the first page they could state that its made from native objects....

bushpilot
August 5th, 2009, 04:59
It's not a ripoff as long as you don't buy it. But you could spend that money on F1 Instant Scenery and do those airports yourself... and many more:running:

MCDesigns
August 5th, 2009, 05:10
Mickey D, couldn't agree more!! I see nothing in the shots that couldn't be done with a basic knowledge of instant scenery and ADE. Looks like another example of some wannabe developer trying to make a buck.

jdhaenens
August 5th, 2009, 05:49
It would still be bad freeware if they didn't charge for it. But, as P.T. Barnum once said, "No one has ever gone broke underestimating the taste of the (American) public." Insert country of choice in the parenthesis.

Just about any of us could do this or similar in two or three hours tops. You'd only have to sell 6 or so to make an exhorbitant profit (based on $ per hr.)

Seems to be a pretty simple tradeoff. This may be the future of scenery design ... expensive ugly scenery ... but profitable. Trouble is, anyone that buys this or similar will probably have a bad taste in their craws for addon scenery in general. That's why we all suffer when stuff like this comes on the market.

Someone is also proving by example that price and quality have no connection in the FS world.

If the owners of the FS Pilot shop choose to be the lowest value scenery dealer in the FS world, it's their decision.

Jim

falcon409
August 5th, 2009, 05:51
I did a search for "Killerc22 Sim" to see if this individual has a website but found nothing. I did however find this line in his description of his Pemberton Scenery. . . ."This scenery is made to match the actual buildings and planes located at Pemberton Regional".

Now I've never been to Pemberton, and it's possible that these buildings are similar to what is located on the airport, but I also seriously doubt it. Anyone familiar with the plethora of scenery objects available for Instant Scenery, Easy Scenery and others will recognize every one of the objects in his screenshots. I've looked at his other work and I don't see a custom building in any of them. I have done a lot of scenery work for myself using Instant Scenery but I would never have the nerve to put it out on the market and charge for it. Buyer beware!!!!

Mickey D
August 5th, 2009, 06:35
Nothing wrong with using an object placement tool for payware, I use one myself along with FSDS. But at least place your own objects if you are going to charge for it. Got to admit to being a little "tetchy" when I saw that after putting in a 16 hour day yesterday placing my own objects in a current project.

jdhaenens
August 5th, 2009, 07:06
I hear you Mickey. I agree.

falcon409
August 5th, 2009, 07:07
Nothing wrong with using an object placement tool for payware, I use one myself along with FSDS. But at least place your own objects if you are going to charge for it. Got to admit to being a little "tetchy" when I saw that after putting in a 16 hour day yesterday placing my own objects in a current project.
Agreed Mickey. . . .makes you wonder sometimes doesn't it?

JimC1702
August 5th, 2009, 07:10
Some of the commercial scenery tools (AFX and Instant Scenery) do not allow you to sell your sceneries unless you purchase a commercial license.

Jim

falcon409
August 5th, 2009, 07:21
Some of the commercial scenery tools (AFX and Instant Scenery) do not allow you to sell your sceneries unless you purchase a commercial license.
Jim
I guess that sounds reasonable too Jim. Really, this is simply a case of being in bad form to charge for scenery done with default objects. Like I said earlier, even my best scenery enhancements. . . .I wouldn't have the nerve to actually package them and put a price on it.

BananaBob
August 5th, 2009, 07:29
I bet I could paint a turd and put wings on it and they would sell it there, LOL and I don't think that's a good thing.:kilroy:

falcon409
August 5th, 2009, 07:40
For what it's worth, I sent an e-mail to the pilot shop bringing this to their attention and asking them to look closer at the scenery packages from Killerc22 Sim and possibly reconsider their decision to carry his products. My gut feeling tells me they won't do anything about it, but I'll get a complimentary e-mail thanking me for my concern, lol.

gajit
August 5th, 2009, 07:43
I bet I could paint a turd and put wings on it and they would sell it there, LOL and I don't think that's a good thing.:kilroy:

Theres one already for sale - its called the .......... errr .... nop - better not say which product as I am trying to be nice in my old age. :engel016:

falcon409
August 5th, 2009, 07:45
Theres one already for sale - its called the .......... errr .... nop - better not say which product as I am trying to be nice in my old age. :engel016:
Oh man, now I have to know, lol. . . .come on gajit. . .you can do it, lol, lol.

Kavehpd
August 5th, 2009, 07:47

Wouldn't been an original thing to do. It's been done before.

http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=16785;hl=bell+stolen
(http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=16785;hl=bell+stolen)

stiz
August 5th, 2009, 07:48
fs pilot shop takes 30% of all sales, why turn away profit?

PRB
August 5th, 2009, 07:53
Gee, aren’t we the superior clique here? Are there not screen shots of this product at the site where it is being sold? Couldn’t you tell that it “sucked”, or at least that it’s not nearly as good as all you developers can do? Didn’t we just have a big giant long thread here about not bashing developers who are just trying to make a few dollars, same as you all? Maybe this is his first effort. Maybe his next one will be more in line with your demanding standards. Maybe you can get your money back. Maybe you don’t have to buy it in the first place. Did I read this right – somebody here is going to contact fspilotshop and recommend they don’t carry products by this individual anymore? Are you serious? That’s seriously messed up.

Mikrco
August 5th, 2009, 07:54
Ok, everybody please return your freeware FSX Bell 47 - I'm going to put it in the pilot shop where you can then purchase it for the fantastic low price of $49.95 + shipping and handling. I know it sounds to good to be true but I like you guys so this special offer is available for a limited time only.

harleyman
August 5th, 2009, 08:25
We all get the point...Ya don't like it...Oh Well

You are correct PRB.....