PDA

View Full Version : another thread on weapons......

luckydog
August 3rd, 2009, 21:10
My hard-core, far left leaning, Democrat "significant other", has suddenly become a "survivalist". In addition to stock-piling food and water, she has suggested we arm ourselves.

I am an ex-Green Beret...crossed trained medical / weapons. All I have at the moment is a razor sharp kukri that I won in a poker game with a bunch of Gurkhas (I keep it between the mattress and the bed frame).

I pretty much know what I want, but would like to hear your suggestions..

Shotgun?
Rifle?
Handgun?

Thanks,
LD

Technogrunt
August 3rd, 2009, 21:47
I would suggest a pump action shot gun, so you have to rack a round to fire, so it is safer when grand kids find it. Another advantage is your wife does not have to be accurate, close is good enough if you are using buckshot with a short barrel. The third reason I have is the distinctive sound of a pump action shotgun being racked will make the vast majority of evil doers need a clean pair of underwear.
Being that you are prior Green Bert my personal preference is still the M1911A1 I was Navy I like the stopping power. I have a co-worker who loves his 9mm, I asked him which one would you rather be shot with a 9mm or a 45.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

Moparmike
August 3rd, 2009, 22:05
Before things start getting too political with the recent guns threads, I'm going to move them down the page to the other hobbies forum.
After all, to a lot of members here owning and shooting firearms is a hobby.

But for my opinion on your question LD, I second the suggestion of a pump shotgun for a defensive firearm. Very versatile tool in many situations.

stansdds
August 4th, 2009, 01:59
Shotgun: pump action, 18 inch barrel. I'll leave the maker up to you, but Mossberg, Ithaca, and Savage are good in my book.

Rifle: I'm a convert to the AR-15 with a 16 inch barrel, but if you want more oomph then a Springfield Armory M1A is hard to beat. I've never really liked AK's and their accuracy leaves something to be desired. The SKS is cheap and fires the 7.62x39 Soviet round, most have a fixed 10 round magazine.

Handgun: For simplicity it's really hard to beat the 1911 chambered in 45 ACP. Rock Island and Springfield Armory make good entry level (basic GI) 1911's. For something more refined, Colt, Springfield's higher end models, Dan Wesson and Kimber are good. Rock Island and Dan Wesson are the closest to the original design, no firing pin safeties on either.

Matt Wynn
August 4th, 2009, 02:44
Shotgun: pump action, 18 inch barrel. I'll leave the maker up to you, but Mossberg, Ithaca, and Savage are good in my book.

Rifle: I'm a convert to the AR-15 with a 16 inch barrel, but if you want more oomph then a Springfield Armory M1A is hard to beat. I've never really liked AK's and their accuracy leaves something to be desired. The SKS is cheap and fires the 7.62x39 Soviet round, most have a fixed 10 round magazine.

Handgun: For simplicity it's really hard to beat the 1911 chambered in 45 ACP. Rock Island and Springfield Armory make good entry level (basic GI) 1911's. For something more refined, Colt, Springfield's higher end models, Dan Wesson and Kimber are good. Rock Island and Dan Wesson are the closest to the original design, no firing pin safeties on either.

I agree on the Shotgun front, but Pistol/handgun can be a tricky one, as they are all different, best bet is to go to your local range and try a few, i'm a Sig Sauer guy myself, with a preference on the P228 chambered in either 9mm or .40, 9mm is enough to stop most people in their tracks, darkened and the topslide being racked back and letting it release forwards to pick up a round is always a sound that you hope never to hear, on Rifles, The AR-15 is good, but again hit the local range and try a few, i have a preference on the M16 and MP5, MP5 is great as it uses 9mm rounds (same as the P228) so even if you're low on finances you can distribute your ammo :icon_lol: but thing to remember is to try and find which feels right to hold and right to shoot, as anyone whos been infantry (or active personnel for that matter) will know if you feel comfortable with a weapon thats a quarter of the battle won...

redriver6
August 4th, 2009, 07:38
My hard-core, far left leaning, Democrat "significant other", has suddenly become a "survivalist". In addition to stock-piling food and water, she has suggested we arm ourselves.

I am an ex-Green Beret...crossed trained medical / weapons. All I have at the moment is a razor sharp kukri that I won in a poker game with a bunch of Gurkhas (I keep it between the mattress and the bed frame).

I pretty much know what I want, but would like to hear your suggestions..

Shotgun?
Rifle?
Handgun?

Thanks,
LD

the question is are you going to be the one doing the shooting or is your wife going to be shooting also?

if she is and she has little time behind the trigger, then i would suggest a good .357 revolver for a handgun. it can shoot .38 special as well as .357 mag loads. revolvers are probably a little easier to learn to shoot for beginners.

i am also becoming a convert to the AR-15. .223 is probably a little weak for big game hunting but is no pipsqueek either. its a good round for self defense but in a densely populated area you have to be concerned about over penetration.

for a shotgun any 12 ga. pump is good...but once again if the Mrs. is going to be shooting also i would probably go with a 20ga. less recoil but still effective at close range with bucksot.

Snuffy
August 4th, 2009, 07:49
Hey LD .. you might want to consider a .410 shotgun ...

Light manouverable and with the lighter load, less likely to inflict major collateral damage should any of your rounds go out the wall or door.

.410s don't kick much either and would be good for the wife to use as well without fear of her shoulder being knocked out of joint.

If you'll be in the house using it, its a good gun for close quarters and will put enough damage down on a target to the point that you can either subdue him, restrain him, or if you're lucky ... take him out altogether.

Just my thought.

redriver6
August 4th, 2009, 08:01
Hey LD .. you might want to consider a .410 shotgun ...

of course you could kill two birds with one stone........

yNFJuTUXB4o