PDA

View Full Version : System upgrade?

brettt777
August 3rd, 2009, 09:15
I have a 2 year old Dell XPS710 that has a 2.1ghz duo core CPU, 2gb of DDR2(?), an nVidia 8600GTS and running 32 bit XP. I know I need to upgrade the video card and I need more RAM (remember when we thought 64mb of RAM was alot?). I would love to just get a whole new system but not sure when or if I will be able to do that so I need to look at some upgrades.
My questions are:
Can I upgrade to a 64 bit OS just by installing say, Windows 7 64 bit (which I have heard good things about) or do I need a whole different MB/CPU?
I have heard that it is best to run at least 6GB of RAM with Windows 7. Can my exisiting MB go that high on RAM and will it do DDR3?
I know my existing video card is PCI express; are the newer ones something else and will my MB do that?

Cobra8472
August 3rd, 2009, 09:27
Can you find out the exact model no. of your motherboard?

First off, you don't need 6GB to run Win7. In fact, it is far more memory efficient than Vista, so 2GB in Win7 is far better than 2GB in Vista :). Ram is cheap as dirt though, so you could just as well stick 8GB in there. The amt of total ram depends on your motherboard. At the very least it should support 4GB.

Yes- you can upgrade to 64bit by just installed a 64bit OS. Your CPU supports a 64bit operating system. No worries there.

Wether your MB does DDR3 or not depends on the model. See above. I doubt it does DDR3 though.

PCI-E is still very much the standard. Just remember to take power into consideration when buying a new GPU. The HD4890 is fantastic bang for the buck right now (tip ;))

falcon409
August 3rd, 2009, 09:35
If the system is at least two years old and you've been running 32bit all this time, my guess is that's all the MB is capable of. So a new MB and CPU is in order to be able to run 64bit. With a new MB you'll be able to upgrade your memory as well. . .I'm running 8gig of memory right now (4-2gig sticks). I'm sure there are newer Video card slots, but the PCI-e is pretty fast, I believe the only other option is to run dual cards which the MB has to be setup to do. Your CPU is real important obviously and one that runs above 3ghz would be best given what it has to run.

That's about all I can offer for a start.

harleyman
August 3rd, 2009, 09:47
I would start from scratch..

A good above average rig to run FSX can be done for around 5-6 hundred bucks...

Have it build and add a couple hundred more to that...

I build them and ship them too.....(shameless plug here)
http://www.essentialcare1.com/

brettt777
August 3rd, 2009, 10:40
Can you find out the exact model no. of your motherboard?

Okay, I ran CPU-Z and here's what it tells me about my MB:
It's a Dell model OUY253 A00
The chipset is nVidia nForce4 SLI Intel Edition
The Southbridge is nVidia ID0360
The Bios is Dell 1.4.0

Does this mean I could run SLI if I wanted too (I have read that FSX doesn't do SLI)?

brettt777
August 3rd, 2009, 10:44
Hey I also noticed that even though the CPU is a Core 2 6420 @ 2.13ghz, it says my core speed is only 1.6ghz. Is that because I have that speed step thing going on or am I underclocked? I have never adjusted anything in the bios that would change the bus speed or whatever.

harleyman
August 3rd, 2009, 11:11
Acording to your model number you only have one PCIE slot for one vid card....But that can run any 2 GPU card like an X2 one..4870X2 for instance...

That is intel speed step at work..Open up CPUZ and FSX and you will see the true value of your clock speed...

brettt777
August 3rd, 2009, 11:44
Acording to your model number you only have one PCIE slot for one vid card....But that can run any 2 GPU card like an X2 one..4870X2 for instance...

That is intel speed step at work..Open up CPUZ and FSX and you will see the true value of your clock speed...

2 GPUs, huh? I wondered what the X2 meant. Okay, so is 2 GPUs the same as SLI? I have heard that FSX won't use SLI. Also, will this MB do DDR3? And just for grins, can my CPU be safely OC'd?

harleyman
August 3rd, 2009, 11:51
No...FSX will not take advantage of SLI on your rig.....

I have a Visiontec 4870X2 and I pulled it and get better FSX performance with an old 50 dollar 3850 ATI card...35 frames locked and steady

Yes X2 is basically SLI Or CrossfireX......

If you were to use two of them it would be Quad SLI or CrossfireX

Only DDR2 on that mobo..And no to OCing it ....Probably locked out of the features in the bios...

To add a bigger graphics card you need to make sure your power supply is big enough.

At least a 750 for todays cards..Then it may not fit your case

brettt777
August 3rd, 2009, 12:05
Well, it sounds like I need to change the MB anyway, just to be able to install DDR3.
I believe my PS is a 750 watt unit already. I have the huge XPS case so room shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, thanks a million for the advise. I have a pretty good idea what I need to do now.

harleyman
August 3rd, 2009, 12:35
This is a killer mobo for the price..Its a great OCer too...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128348
I have built several rigs with it lately , as it will run 4 gigs of DDR3 mem..Just make sure that you use 1600 ram.....

txnetcop
August 3rd, 2009, 15:07
I have a 2 year old Dell XPS710 that has a 2.1ghz duo core CPU, 2gb of DDR2(?), an nVidia 8600GTS and running 32 bit XP. I know I need to upgrade the video card and I need more RAM (remember when we thought 64mb of RAM was alot?). I would love to just get a whole new system but not sure when or if I will be able to do that so I need to look at some upgrades.
My questions are:
Can I upgrade to a 64 bit OS just by installing say, Windows 7 64 bit (which I have heard good things about) or do I need a whole different MB/CPU?
I have heard that it is best to run at least 6GB of RAM with Windows 7. Can my exisiting MB go that high on RAM and will it do DDR3?
I know my existing video card is PCI express; are the newer ones something else and will my MB do that?

Brett, I was a contract systems service rep for Dell up until a year ago. I refused to pay their ridiculous cost to work on their crap.

You can not upgrade the motherboard on a 710 to just any off the shelf motherboard. The board and power supply are proprietary and as such aftermarket stuff will not work in the system.The polarity on the motherboard and power supply is switched, but you can call Dell and upgrade to the Dell only 680i BTX motherboard of theirs which is a better board than the 590i that came with the XPS 710.

As far as this craving for DDR3 the benefit in FSX is small compared to high quality, high performance DDR2. You will need to upgrade your memory as the 710 came with DDR2 667, but I would not waste my time on the current 590i motherboard. My system uses DDR2 1200 memory and I would bet my life that it is faster than any Core i7 for FSX.

If you want all the latest DDR3 goodies then you will need to look at a new system. The newer Dells are not proprietory but they are ridiculously expensive compared to building your own system.

Now on an XPS710 with the 680i motherboard the QX6850 is about as high a processor one can go which is still a very fast quad core, The X6700, x6800 Extreme is a very fast Core 2 Duo, and are unlocked so you can overclock if need be, and work well with FSX. The QX 6700 and QX6800 Quads will also allow you to overclock the motherboard to 4.0 Ghz. Those processors are unlocked.

Check www.pricewatch.com and www.pricegrabber.com for prices. You can run up to high performance DDR2 1066 memory which is plenty fast for the 680i series motherboards. By the way the 680i has two PCI Express slots for SLI, but I think you would be wasting your money getting two cards just for FSX. You can run up to a GTX 285 on the 680i motherboard. I would stick with a GTX 275 for a cost savings and yet still retain performance.

I'm in Austin at TechCorp this week but if you need more info or help contact me next Monday by PM
Ted

harleyman
August 3rd, 2009, 16:12
A backwards compatiable PSU ???

OPPPss..Never knew that....

txnetcop
August 3rd, 2009, 16:51
The pin-outs are different for the Dell BTX boards. Also if you try to use an ATX motherboard in the XPS 700, 710, 720 the slots are off just enough so that you can't get your video card set correctly. Dell did learn their lesson on this and now make compatible equipment on the new cases. The price for the 680i is not cost prohibitive and is a reasonably good board to upgrade with either an Extreme Core 2 Duo (the old 6700-6800 series) or the older QX6700-6800 series.

I have an XPS 720 for sale that required a reflashed BIOS and some serious BIOS tweaking but I did get an E8400 work with it, however I wish I had just gone with a X6700 I found on pricewatch for $250 or and Extreme 6800 series Quad. There are some newer game compatibility issues with making a Penryn processor work on the Dell 680i, but FSX and FS9 run just fine. Putting a non overclocked Q6600 was almost useless as the Q6600 runs FSX better with an OC on this motherboard.
Ted

txnetcop
August 3rd, 2009, 17:12
Don't know if this offer is still in effect or not call your Dell rep:

XPS 700 and 710 owners to receive free nForce 680i motherboard upgrade

Dell this week began offering motherboard upgrades to owners of XPS 700 and 710 systems. XPS 700 and 710 owners that purchased their systems on or before June 30, 2007 qualify for the upgrade program.

The upgrade kit includes the motherboard from Dell’s latest XPS 720 system. Dell also includes the required front panel I/O assembly, cables, mechanical assemblies, resource CD, owner’s manual, XPS mouse pad and DTS audio upgrade in the kit.

The Dell XPS 720 motherboard features NVIDIA’s nForce 680i SLI MCP chipset. Dell supports NVIDIA SLI, MediaShield and Native Gigabit Ethernet technologies. The motherboard also supports NVIDIA’s Enhanced Performance Profiles, or EPP, memory specification. First Packet and DualNet technologies are not supported.

Dell XPS 700 owners qualify for a free-of-charge upgrade with optional free on-site installation service. XPS 700 owners also receive a discount on Intel’s Core 2 Extreme QX6700 processor from the Dell Electronics & Accessories store. The discount is good for 25% off the current pricing on the Dell Electronics & Accessories store. Dell currently sells the Core 2 Extreme QX6700 for $1,199 – twice as much as a similarly clocked Core 2 Quad Q6700.

Dell XPS 710 owners have the option to purchase the upgrade kit for $250 USD from Dell. On-site installation services are available for a fee, not to exceed $150 USD. XPS 710 owners do not qualify for the 25% Core 2 Extreme QX6700 discount.

brettt777
August 3rd, 2009, 19:17
So the 710 CAN use the 680i MB? I think I got mine in May of 07. Is it worth upgrading to this MB? It sounds like I can at least put faster CPU in it. Does it do DDR3 or still just DDR2? It also sounds like the faster CPUs are rather spendy.

txnetcop
August 3rd, 2009, 19:44
This is a DDR2 motherboard as I said above. It must be a Dell only 680i BTX direct from Dell or at least someone who distributes for Dell. Combined with high performance DDR2 1066 memory and a faster CPU you should have no problem running FSX, just don't expect to put all your sliders to full right and check every box in the Settings menu. Sometimes you can find the CPUS and motherboards on auction sites very inexpensively just make sure it is a true DELL BTX board
Ted

brettt777
August 4th, 2009, 05:35
Okay got it. Thanks a bunch!

Bjoern
August 4th, 2009, 08:24
BTX

Wasn't that supposed to be worldwide standard by 2004? :kilroy: